As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Phalla] Smash Bros Fighter Pass ∞ - Congratulations! (Village wins)

H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is rightand which is an illusion.Registered User regular
edited October 2021 in Critical Failures
Produced and Directed by H3Knuckles
Opening post layout cribbed heavily from 38thDoe
With no balance testing (we die like gamers!)

In a world where Masahiro Sakurai was chained to his work desk,
competition breaks out to determine who will be the next DLC Fighters!

What is this?
This is a game where you pick a strategy to outfight your opponents for the honor of inclusion in gaming's greatest playable museum

Phalla is the Penny Arcade Forum's own version of the Mafia game (also known as Werewolf, also kind of like Among Us). You can read the typical rules here.

Specifics for this game are as follows:

Standard Phalla Rules:

Every day, each player must vote for one player to be eliminated. Vote by writing their name in bold red. You only get one vote per day, so I will only count your last vote. You may retract a vote (without picking a replacement) by writing their name again in bold limegreen. In the event of a tie, both candidates will be eliminated as well as the tie maker.

In addition, players are expected to make at least two posts in this thread each game day. Also to submit your daily actions via PMs to the host (me).

In the event that a player does not fulfill these activity requirements for two days, they will be withdrawn from the game (and their role assigned to a reserve if available).

Do not directly quote anything I send you via PM, do not share screenshots of it. Paraphrasing is fine.

Do not add other players to PM conversations after they've started.

Do not anonymously contact anyone.

If you are removed from the game you can make one last post (traditionally framed between lines of o's and 0's) which cannot include any information about the game at all.

If you want clarifications on anything, write it in bold darkorange. If it's something generic, feel free to ask in this thread, but if it might give other players clues, you should ask me via PM.

Make sure to invite me to all channels of communication you set up with other players outside the thread (PM conversations, proboards, discord, etc).

Order of Operations: Reward Shop>Vote>?>?>Guard>?>Vig>Mafia>Seer>Eliminations

The Day closes at 12am EDT (4 am GMT/UTC). Votes and actions submitted by 11:59pm or earlier will count, those at 12:00am or later will not.

The results post starting the next game day should usually go up with 1-2 hours, but this is my first time hosting so bear with me. You may talk in-between vote close and the results going up.

Friday-Sunday will count as one long game day, but I'm flexible to change that if enough players prefer otherwise.

Announce your sign-up in bold limegreen. If things change and you need to withdraw, please do so in bold darkorange, since players often make joke votes before the game starts. If we hit cap before you can join, or you're not sure about availability through the game, reserve sign-ups are greatly appreciated!

Fighter Pass Phalla mechanics:

Each player will be assigned a potential new challenger, with a preferred fighting style out of the following: Aggressive, Balanced, Defensive, and Opportunist. Fighters may also have a style they are less effective with.

Each day players will be matched into pairs, trios, or quartets. These groups will then be assigned matches with the following rule types: Free For All, 2v2, or 1v1. A stage for each match will be declared (limited by match rules), and whether items will be active or not (also limited by match rules). Each of these may have interactions with a given fighting style. These assignments will be announced with the results of the previous day (or the start of game post on day 1).

Players must choose which style they will use each night and submit it to me via PM. If you do not, your character's preferred style will be chosen.

At the end of the night, each player will get a number of twenty-sided dice (D20) rolls depending on their strength with their chosen style, how well it suits the night's match, and compares to each of their opponents' choices (Aggressive>Defensive>Opportunist>Aggressive, Balanced is neutral to all others). It's a dice pool system, where only the best result counts, but having more rolls improves your chances. I believe I've worked it out so that it's mathematically impossible to have less than one dice roll each night. Some combinations can get a little over a dozen though.

In FFA, the player with the highest result gets 1st place, the second highest gets 2nd, etc. In 2v2, each team only uses their highest player's result, and both get either 1st or 4th. In 1v1 it directly compares the players and assigns 1st or 4th. Draws can happen.

1st place gets 3 coins, 2nd gets 2 coins, 3rd gets 1 coin, and 4th places loses a stock.

Players begin with 3 stock each. If you lose all your stocks, you will be eliminated.

Coins may be used to purchase the following from the rewards shop:
  • $3 - bye for a match (chance to avoid losing a stock or being eliminated, but you can't win coins that night either)
  • $5 - extra stock (chance to avoid elimination for a last place finish in nightly matches)
  • $6 - immunity to inactivity (you'll still participate in a match, but you don't need to post, vote, or submit other actions)
  • $6 - no denials clarification (with the caveat that it can't be something that exposes players' roles)
  • $10 - rez a player of your choice
  • $10 - immunity to the vote for one night (can also be used to survive making a tie)

You may gift purchased rewards to another player.

Clarifications:
example 1 wrote:
Will there be Millers or Thralls?

There will be at least one Miller and Thrall.
example 2 wrote:
Is this a game with conversions?

Clarification Denied.
kime wrote: »
At least one Miller and one Thrall, or at least one of those two?

At least one each
Heffling wrote: »
Can you transfer coins? How many opportunities will there to be earn coins? Why buy a bye when you can just buy an inactive for 3 coins less? Are the winners/losers public information?
  • Unfortunately, no. Figuring out a balance between matches being able to have ties, players transferring coins, setting costs to put powerful things late in the game, but also accessible to people who keep placing near the middle of their matches got too hairy. This was the best I could come up with short notice
  • Every player will participate in a match each night unless they have a bye.
  • Inactive immunity means you don't need to vote nor submit anything, but your character still participates in a match using their preferred style. A bye means you still have to vote, talk, submit non-match related actions, etc, but you don't run the risk of losing a stock.
  • Match results will be announced publicly
discrider wrote: »
Are the shop prices going to be reduced due to the number of players?

Here goes. I think this will pace well for the reduced time.
  • $3 - bye for a match (chance to avoid losing a stock or being eliminated, but you can't win coins that night either)
  • $5 - extra stock (chance to avoid elimination for a last place finish in nightly matches)
  • $6 - immunity to inactivity (you'll still participate in a match, but you don't need to post, vote, or submit other actions)
  • $6 - no denials clarification (with the caveat that it can't be something that exposes players' roles)
  • $10 - rez a player of your choice
  • $10 - immunity to the vote for one night (can also be used to survive making a tie)
Although we can also just ditch winnings before being voted out and gift the store items to other people, so being voted out might not be that big a deal.

The OoO down the gift shop going before votes take effect, presumably so vote immunity works. Can you give bought items to other people before the vote as well?

Yes. All shop-related stuff triggers before anything else (except me having to answer the Clarification question)
Do we resurrect with the shop items and coins we died with?

Yes
MamaWolf wrote: »
Calica wrote: »
I vote discrider for suspicious behavior... although I will miss their posts in this thread if they die.

Ties are no good. Actually What happens in case of a tie?

Pretty sure this is in the OP, but both candidates and the tiemaker die (unless someone has the vote immunity item, which also works for the tiemaker if they have it)
no one wrote:

On further thought, since there were multiple players who were confused about this, I am going to reverse a previous policy decision: while I would continue to urge players to consider their nightly fighting style choices, I'm not going to ding people for inactivity if they haven't submitted one, since I'd acknowledged that it defaults to their characters' preferred option.

Daily Results Posts:

If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
camo_sig2-400.png
H3Knuckles on

• Options
    H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    edited October 2021
    It's scalable either way, but 28 players would be preferable.
    Player List:
    1. kime
    2. Brody
    3. Heffling Locus
    4. SeGaTai
    5. MamaWolf
    6. premium
    7. discrider
    8. AustinP0027
    9. Lucedes
    10. Auralynx
    11. mrpaku
    12. Sir Fabulous
    13. Wildcat
    14. Bucketman
    15. Calica
    16. 38thDoe

Reserves
    1. Gizzy
    2. Cythraul

H3Knuckles on
    If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    Haa this looks great

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Options
    H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular

At least one each

camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    Brody

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
  • Options
    HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular

Can you transfer coins? How many opportunities will there to be earn coins? Why buy a bye when you can just buy an inactive for 3 coins less? Are the winners/losers public information?

• Options
    edited October 2021
    Heffling wrote: »
    • Unfortunately, no. Figuring out a balance between matches being able to have ties, players transferring coins, setting costs to put powerful things late in the game, but also accessible to people who keep placing near the middle of their matches got too hairy. This was the best I could come up with short notice. Edit: realized I forget to shift the price for the big items down to 18 coins before posting thanks to this question.
    • Every player will participate in a match each night unless they have a bye.
    • Inactive immunity means you don't need to vote nor submit anything, but your character still participates in a match using their preferred style. A bye means you still have to vote, talk, submit non-match related actions, etc, but you don't run the risk of losing a stock.
    • Match results will be announced publicly

H3Knuckles on
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    SeGaTaiSeGaTai Registered User regular
    Signup!

PSN SeGaTai
  • Options
    MamaWolfMamaWolf The wolf pack guides all to safetyRegistered User regular
    edited October 2021
    I got dibbs on Kirby!

MamaWolf on
    "May the moon watch over you and keep you safe through the night, 'till the morning comes and MamaWolf can protect you through the day"
  • Options
    premiumpremium Registered User regular
    me

• Options
    discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    No items, Fox only, Final Destination

• Options
    AustinP0027AustinP0027 Registered User regular
    Falcon Punch!

• Options
    LucedesLucedes might be real Registered User regular
    look at me, I’m an anime swordsman

• Options
    Lucedes

• Options
    AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    Marth.

kshu0oba7xnr.png

• Options
    Whatever
    Everyone's getting third party controllers now.

• Options
    mrpakumrpaku Registered User regular
    It's-a-me!

• Options
    edited October 2021
    i mostly played peach, young link, and Isabelle tbh

Lucedes on
  • Options
    edited October 2021
    In actual Smash Bros, I'm kind of all over the place.
    • In OG Smash I was mainly Link and some Captain Falcon
    • In Melee I preferred Roy and Ganondorf (I never said I was good)
    • I actually never got to play a lot of Brawl, so I can't really say I had favorites for this one
    • In Smash For I wound up mostly playing Mega Man, Mii Gunner, and Corrin
    • For Ultimate, I've been partial to Daisy, Cloud, & Simon for multiplayer matches, but I really enjoy Terry for 1v1s.

H3Knuckles on
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    Sir FabulousSir Fabulous Malevolent Squid God Registered User regular
    Zelda Main Reporting In

pickup-sig.php?name=Orthanc

Switch Friend Code: SW-1406-1275-7906
  • Options
    Dr Mario having a smaller smash range than Mario is still a terrible injustice.

• Options
    Dr Mario is one of a number of characters that I never mained, but do play a lot and really enjoy.

camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    If I had to pick a main, it'd probably be Lucina? But I ended up doing a variety of characters.

Steam profile
  • Options
    I don't really play enough to have a true 'main', but when I do play Kirby is my go-to. So, I suppose that would make Kirby my main?

"May the moon watch over you and keep you safe through the night, 'till the morning comes and MamaWolf can protect you through the day"
  • Options
    mrpakumrpaku Registered User regular
    I think the last time I played Smash was on a 64 while working at a kids "before school" program?

Beat the hell out of some ten year olds with Donkey Kong, I'll tell you what

• Options
    AustinP0027AustinP0027 Registered User regular
    I was always Pikachu. Spent entire games pissing everyone off by jumping around firing lightning from above

• Options
    Go to lower level.
    Guard vertical entrance with constant thunder cloud.
    Standard Pikachu strats

• Options
    edited October 2021
    I'm going to be sad when the Mafia are not the fighting polygon team

discrider on
  • Options
    WildcatWildcat Registered User regular
    !READY PLAYER 13

• Options
    LocusLocus Trust Me The seaRegistered User regular
    I would like to !reserve, please.

• Options
    edited October 2021
    Actually, Fighting Polygon Team:
    - Is village
    - Cannot be killed
    - Dies neutral each time they die, and kills on the Fighting Polygon Team are unattributed
    - Is seen as neutral by seers
    - May 'die' randomly each night

Probably a problem when they make it to the final couple of days though..
    Might need a number of days of stocks that can be eventually burned through.

discrider on
  • Options
    edited October 2021
    I churned through three wildly different ideas while cooking this up. Let me tell you, there's a lot of ways you could adapt Smash Bros for Phalla.

H3Knuckles on
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    H3Knuckles wrote: »
    I churned through three wildly different ideas while cooking this up. Let me tell you, there's a lot of ways you could adapt Smash Bros for Phalla.

some of them have even been tried before!

• Options
    edited October 2021
    Huh, I didn't even think to check that. I hope I'm not treading on anyone's toes, nor reproducing quite the same scenario they did.

H3Knuckles on
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    Imma be honest you could probably run the exact same game accidentally and I don't think anyone would hold it against you.

Really, themes don't belong to any of us, so you're good to run whatever you want! And with a game like this it's probably hard to have the same mechanics.

Steam profile
  • Options
    Imma be honest you could probably run the exact same game accidentally and I don't think anyone would hold it against you.

Really, themes don't belong to any of us, so you're good to run whatever you want! And with a game like this it's probably hard to have the same mechanics.

Agreed! A theme is just a means to a game idea. Since the host(s) running it are different, there is a slim to none chance of replicating a game 100%.

I'm confident you will run an amazing and fun game!

• Options
    A little tip: The game is most likely not gonna go 100% according to plan, so just try to relax and have back up plans in case that happens!

Also, remember the host(s) is(are) just as important as the players(if not more), so don't let the game get to your head too much that it overwhelms yourself! (Just a little learning experience from my own point of view)

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    I'm going to sit this one out but has anyone heard from Endless_Serpents?

• Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    edited October 2021
    Xaquin wrote: »
    I'm going to sit this one out but has anyone heard from Endless_Serpents?

I have not, sent them a well wish but haven't heard back yet.

!Signup

Bucketman on
  • Options
    edited October 2021
    Gonna just let this run over the weekend and hope a bunch more people decide to sign up. I could run a truncated version at 15 players, I suppose, but I'd really like to try and get at least 20 (28 was what I had in mind, but it looks like that ain't happening). If anyone who has signed up needs to back out because their situation has changed, no worries, I understand. A lot can change in a week.

H3Knuckles on
    camo_sig2-400.png