As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Figure Drawing (NSFW) (Formerly Figuary 21)

danxdanx Registered User regular
edited March 2021 in Artist's Corner
Figuary is done now that February is over :( but this thread lives on. Post your figure drawing journey here and learn from other people as you learn any/all aspects of the figure.

I left the Figuary OP in here in spoilers for now and moved the resources to the top now the Figuary videos on Croquis Cafe are no longer.

Practice Resources

Free Poses Videos
Draw This!
New Master's Academy(nsfw)
VandartGallery(nsfw)
Watts Atelier Figure Drawing demos.

Quick Pose Apps/Sites
QuickPoses
Line of Action site - Figure Drawing, Hands and Feet, Faces. Also has Animals and buildings/environments

Photo sets (paid)
Grafit Studio(nsfw)
Howard Lyon Art
https://bodiesinmotion.photo/(nsfw)
Proko Store

Head References
ReferenceAngle - Cool site that allows you to pick a head angle then pull up a bunch of references for you to draw. Didgeridoo also found one for animals too and it's too good not to share.

Figuary 2021

What is it?

A month where people do figure drawing! It started as a self improvement event held by Love Life Drawing and Croquis Cafe in February to get people to practice figure drawing. You can post any figure drawings you did in February in here.

If you're not confident or hesitant to post your work know Figuary is *not* about comparing yourself to other people. It's about what you get out of it.

What do we do?

Draw some figures! That's it? Pretty much. LLD and CC will provide some structure for those who want to practice but you don't have to follow that if you don't want to. What you get out of it is up to you. Engage with it as much or as little as you want to. Share or don't. If you don't like the structure change it. If have something you want to practice then do that. It's all good.

Structure you say?

Every Tuesday and Thursday in February Kenzo from Love Life Drawing will post a tutorial to help improve some aspect of your figure drawing. Croquis Cafe will post (NSFW) videos with different poses on Vimeo every day during February for practicing your figure drawing skills.

Access to Croquis Cafe's figuary drawing videos are free for the month of February. Details to access Croquis Cafe are available at https://www.lovelifedrawing.com/figuary2021/

Figuary 2021 youtube playlist. First vid is in the spoilers!

Do I have to know figure drawing to participate?

Nope. If you've never drawn the figure, or haven't drawn much it's fine. Artists of all levels participate. It's about what you get out of it. It's not about comparing yourself to others so don't do that as tempting as it may be.

Can we share our stuff?

Sure! You can also share your frustrations or thoughts about how it's going if you like. If you find a good resource that might be helpful you can share that too. Just be mindful of forum rules and don't link to dodgy stuff.

Do we have to?

No! If you don't want to share you don't have to.

60 second poses are terrifying OMG!

Yeah I just had this exact experience. :) The Croquis cafe videos so far have had 60 second, 2 min and 5 min poses but we can do whatever we want. e.g. pause the video or use other references.

Kenzo has some very chill advice from past Figuaries for people like me who are new to figure drawing and/or are feart of short poses. Linked them both below. Before watching them I was flustered and confused when thinking about what to include or leave out. Or what lines to make. Or panicking about not having enough time to draw all the limbs. There were some omissions that caused me some panic that persisted between poses. These vids helped by giving me an idea of what someone with my experience would get out of them and how to approach it and slow down a bit.

What is Love Life Drawing?

It's a youtube channel run by the very chill Kenzo and his mum Mayko. They focus on life drawing tutorials in a fairly relaxed laid back way. In the past they did figuary as more of a hints and tips everyday but this year has less videos to give people more breathing room.

What is Croquis Cafe?

It's a resource for artists that shares (NSFW) videos of models in various poses for people to use as references in life drawing. They used to be a free resource but the bandwidth use was a bit too high for their host Vimeo so they've taken it private. You can access the figuary videos for free by following the instructions here. Outside of figuary there's now a yearly fee.

danx on

• Options
    PeasPeas Registered User regular
    edited February 2021
    Thanks for starting the thread, pretty excited to have an event in here which I could participate! I started yesterday after sawing your post on the chat thread. Btw should the posts be spoilered? I will spoiler mine just in case first.

Day 1
    2lp51rxe8vqw.jpg

Day 2
    54bxcwakehyi.jpg
    Just finished Day 2, not really digging my attempt today lol

edit:
    Changed the days, I think I got them right now

Peas on
  • Options
    These were supposed to be 1 minute poses but I hadn't done those in a while and didn't do much of it before so it was a bit panicky and went over time. Couldn't leave the missing bits out and then just kept scribbling.
    q9jmjrbx4xxe.jpg

Today I watched the vids linked in the OP about quick drawing then came back to give yesterdays (Feb 1) poses another shot. I think they turned out better and where done in time. Going slower with more deliberate slower lines definitely helped.
    wzmoju1znq0d.jpg

Thinking about what I want to get out of figuary I think for the next week or so focus on construction of the figure starting with the torso. Go a bit slower really focussing on figuring out the forms and correcting my mistakes. Going to keep doing the 1 and 2 minute poses but I really want to improve my forms so that'll be the focus.

• Options
    Peas wrote: »
    Thanks for starting the thread, pretty excited to have an event in here which I could participate! I started yesterday after sawing your post on the chat thread. Btw should the posts be spoilered? I will spoiler mine just in case first.

Don't think we need to spoiler them. I just do that out of habit when posting multiple images. Other threads don't have it so it's up to the poster.

Just finished Day 1, not really digging my attempt today lol

Some of the Day 1 poses felt a bit more involved than Day 0. I got frustrated with them and went to play Factorio to relax a bit before coming back to them. What are arms? My enemy apparently.

• Options
    Today I tried to figure out where the ribcage and pelvis were in the poses. It took a long time for a couple of the poses and the last one the pelvis is weird.
    e43vbrjve6hz.jpg

• Options
    Day 3:
    vtyaffrmyqi0.jpg

Switched to using a 4b lead so the lines would be darker hopefully

I think I noticed how bad I am at grasping proportions quickly and accurately, hopefully I would get better at it by doing these everyday

• Options
    Went through the live stream from Wednesday today. Got some good drawings from it. Went over the same pose a few times trying to correct mistakes.

ek7tddbabysm.jpg

fieta75x8hny.jpg

The one in the spoiler felt good until I decided to darken up the lines when I released one of the edges was darker than the rest. Instead of just darkening them up with the side of the pencil I basically outlined it like the pencil was a pen. It looked better before. Now I hate it. Lesson learned.
    fqdcgi7rsjkt.jpg

Mostly happy with my progress so far except for the arms on that one. Arms.

• Options
    Day 4:
    7jdbs3hezr3q.jpg

I realized that I missed the lesson on rendering, will check that out later. I noticed how easily I am thrown off when an additional element like the cloth is introduced

• Options
    Today is a block in exercise to help get the figure proportioned correctly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2yddrbf2ZQQ

Missed yesterday. Getting back into it now.

• Options
    ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    Hello Figuary Thread!

I usually do some quick sketches every day to start off using the Quick Poses App that I got years ago. 20 sketches at 30 seconds, 16 at 45 seconds, 8 at 1 minute, 5 at 2 minutes, 2 at 5 minutes. I delete the layer immediately after they're done. Sometimes I'll do longer sessions and I'll occasionally do some longer studies on the weekends.

Some good extra sources for timed video models are:
    Draw This!

New Master's Academy(nsfw)

VandartGallery(nsfw)

Also, Watts Atelier has some figure drawing demos.

If you're looking to build an image library there are some good premium image sets here:
    Grafit Studio(nsfw)

Howard Lyon Art

https://bodiesinmotion.photo/(nsfw)

Oh, and here are some 2 minute sketchings from today.
    1s0i4zhsxjw7.png

• Options
    Thanks! Those resources look great. I added them to the OP.

• Options
    edited February 2021
    Did some stuff today.

First from following along with the video.
    1pciazcprg04.jpg

Second is same technique applied to the a pose from day 5. Todays vid was really helpful. I'm going to do more of this for the next few days.

h4wn80h8aeju.jpg

danx on
  • Options
    edited February 2021
    No figure drawings yet but i just bought a bigger sketchpad for this

Peas on
  • Options
    gavindelgavindel The reason all your software is brokenRegistered User regular
    Doing plenty of life drawing with Watts, so I probably won't bite off on this, but keep up the work everyone!

Book - Royal road - Free! Seraphim === TTRPG - Wuxia - Free! Seln Alora
  • Options
    Did this last night. I was hoping to do more than one or two but they take 90 mins to 2 hours each at the moment. They are getting a wee bit faster though with practice each time though.

ptb0r919bvc2.jpg

• Options
    Today is using curves to build the figure.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wSwDwrN0VfU

I've been looking forward to this one even though the weather is doing it's best to sap my enthusiasm over the past few days. There's like 10 inches of snow so far and it's freezing.

• Options
    Still working my way through this. I spent a day or two doing the curve exercise. That was really hard. It did teach me a bit about placement especially on the live stream where they talked about putting in lines to help you figure relationships between parts of the body. I'm going back to the block in for a bit and practising construction.

I skipped one day and my drawing anxiety went to 11. It's been difficult to get back to doing it seriously every day.

• Options
    ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    Some weekend studies:

2 minutes and some 2ish hour studies.

PwGmi6r.png
    4X1ZOBD.png

• Options
    edited February 2021
    *jaw drops*
    Man I hope I will be as good as half of what you can do in my lifetime, thanks for the inspiration as usual

Day 5:
    8jjpz1adpc8i.jpg
    7qzazto3zqky.jpg

I know I say the videos were beautiful but I really like the entire setup of this one, I feel that I can learn a lot if I study them in earnest

Gonna try to do double sessions daily to catch up
    Sorry for abandoning you to hold the fort danx!

Peas on
  • Options
    From the past week:

zk9m8twy06rm.jpg

Did a day 1 pose over again a few times fixing things I noticed each time. Hands are actually pretty big huh.

3nvpf4178vz6.jpg

fhjlxvvykypd.jpg

• Options
    edited February 2021
    Day 6:
    uulbe2w4i01d.jpg
    z3b0nk0ysll6.jpg

Felt pretty off today for some reason, was really disappointed by my attempt at the 5 min one especially. Gonna try to squeeze in another session

Peas on
  • Options
    edited February 2021
    Day 7:
    1fmsvhavk9f3.jpg
    dewqo50f0ham.jpg
    cxgyx7kwgolk.jpg
    fwwkz8cc2652.jpg
    Gonna try to curb my tendency to do scribbly wobbly lines

Peas on
  • Options
    edited February 2021
    Double session today, wonder if I could do more later
    Day 8:
    i3p0oct4mf9i.jpg
    b4luvw1tkzxg.jpg

Trying to curb my lines failed miserably , couldn't even finish a gesture

Day 9:
    yvvdd2isr1qz.jpg
    lheululbzl5x.jpg
    p2ylut96gz5i.jpg

I wasn't expecting 15 seconds gestures at the beginning lol

Also I noticed that horizontal or lying down figures throws me super off, I guess I don't really seek poses like that so I am really unused to it

Peas on
  • Options
    Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    Good work my dude!

• Options
    edited February 2021
    Thanks mate, you should give it a shot too, I saw you did pretty well without using any references so who knows how powerful you would become with more training

Day 10
    sbvpsqt66hkb.jpg
    zbmda3n7xlsj.jpg
    x3xd7ycthxxt.jpg

Day 12
    mlaqk2nq49cj.jpg

Day 13
    mlyaedb759k0.jpg
    minikzff9xf7.jpg
    Spoilered for pic spam.

Accidentally missed day 11 so I will make up for it tomorrow. Current thoughts are these do get a bit taxing back to back lol, but in a good way. Still not great at lying poses but it's just been a day so I won't be too down on myself. Still need more practice as usual capturing proportion quickly, main culprit of not being able to finish a gesture in time as well as messing up the drawing with multiple strokes

Peas on
  • Options
    Yeah, I’ll start in a tick. Are you just using photos or?

• Options
    edited February 2021
    https://www.lovelifedrawing.com/figuary2021/

Been using the amazing videos from this event, they are up to day 20 already so just pick one and jump in if you like

There could be more challenging videos in the later days though so the poses from Day 1~3 would be a good place to start too

Edit: oh and also pls don't feel pressured to do anything which you don't feel like doing, just start anytime as you desire

Peas on
  • Options
    I don’t feel pressure. I am like lofi hip hop beats on a beach at sunset in the shape of many snakes.

• Options
    edited February 2021
    Missed some early vids so went back. Day 6. Long horizontal poses throw me off a lot.
    w6p71m0dt30l.jpg

dx8luytjhfag.jpg

ffsn0u2bad31.jpg

tdbu7hrycdp7.jpg

danx on
  • Options
    edited February 2021
    Same lol

Day 11:
    qk5oruiy8upb.jpg
    zmfh38ii0p2w.jpg

Day 14:
    se09k9x60om0.jpg
    q5kbis1r2vbq.jpg
    hnhgmiyngsh2.jpg

Day 15:
    mvd403exjx7q.jpg
    wjb7hx9qgt4t.jpg

Not much to say today, same problems as usual lol
    Just have to keep doing it while trying to be more aware and better I suppose

Peas on
  • Options
    edited February 2021
    Day 16:
    wj3l428on1ip.jpg
    vt4e8hnvyuzv.jpg

Did one before I go out

I am not sure if I have formed a habit of drawing yet, always feel like I am just going to give up like my previous attempts

On a side note I have been bringing out a smaller sketchbook with me when I go out but I just don't have the courage to bust it out and draw stuff like people straight away
    What's a good thing to draw outside aside from people?

Edit:

Day 17:
    6hm5q8xp7dfk.jpg

Day 18:
    phopdwusxcm0.jpg
    srxml9yice5w.jpg

Day 19:
    loef8qqy5fsn.jpg
    265yugynnlee.jpg

I am not sure if I am getting anything much out of the 15 seconds session in Day 19 at the beginning, it's just too fast for me to barely react and draw lol

Peas on
  • Options
    Day 23:
    3a0covruv1mo.jpg
    3k85e8xu8ux0.jpg

Day 24:
    n5iuh7noy16f.jpg
    8sxbru8y10gb.jpg

Day 25:
    la710fscl3hy.jpg
    qjjdhrwwpnan.jpg

Sorry for double posting, the pic uploading broke when I tried to upload too many on my phone i think

These were done over the course of 2 days. I feel like I get less tiring when I do multiple sessions now, even wanted to do more when i got into the momentum but maybe it's just that i feel better these couple of days or something

I think I should be able to catch up by tomorrow. Current thoughts is I am happy to have finally followed through on an event such as this

• Options
    edited February 2021
    Day 26:
    9ur4z3iwzmbp.jpg
    cwp46tuv79zj.jpg

Day 27:
    h0sgaalz5f1j.jpg
    eti9up4zadnh.jpg

Day 28:
    gbsm0jbazv2l.jpg
    2scnzxm55q9p.jpg
    y0vjt7x3e73v.jpg
    Final one is supposed to be same pose but 3 different lighting

And done! Very satisfying to have accomplished this but hopefully I would be able to do this on my own regularly from now onwards.

Final thoughts are even though I didn't improve much in the end, I feel like I have gained more insight regarding my weaknesses and lack of knowledge, hopefully I would be able to conquer those in time. Will be interesting to come back after a couple of months and start from the beginning again and see if there are any improvements at all

Danx do you have any plans for this thread after the event? I wonder if turning this into a more general figure/gesture drawing thread would have more participation.

I really want to thank you again for introducing me to this, it was really fun

Peas on
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    Figuary was fun. I missed some days so not happy with that but am happy the sketchbook I started on day 3 is half filled. I stopped doing the daily videos for a week. Went through Loomis book material on the figure instead. My memory is garbage at the best of times but I've been making heavy use of techniques from Make It Stick to get the Loomis proportions and the process for drawing it in my brain. Forcing my self to remember as much as I can before reviewing to see how much is retained then repeating the process again later in day really works.

I agree with Peas in that I don't think I got better at drawing but did learn what needs work. It takes me a long time to position stuff. It took hours in the beginning so it'd be like 1 or 2 poses a day. That got a bit better as time went on but definitely needs more work. Also learnt that I don't ask questions about the pose or my drawing as much as I should and that using my brain actually helps. That got better too. It also helped a lot to pick one or two thing and just work on those. That was the intention originally but somewhere along the line I forgot and had to refocus on the original plan.

danx on
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    Danx do you have any plans for this thread after the event? I wonder if turning this into a more general figure/gesture drawing thread would have more participation.

I really want to thank you again for introducing me to this, it was really fun

Thank you for posting. It was fun and motivating to see your stuff!

I hoped to keep the thread as a general figure drawing thread and move the resources in the OP around a bit now that access to the free Figuary stuff on Croquis Cafe is likely going away. I bought a membership so can't tell if it's gone already.

That reminds me. I'll put a link to the head thing that Didgeridoo posted in the chat thread. Heads, hands and other body parts are part of figure drawing so those drawings can also go in here if people want. I didn't mention it in the OP but that was an oversight.

edit: Edited the OP and added a few sites like line of action, reference angle. I'll probably edit it more when it's not like 20C degrees and 4am. It's so hot it's making me cranky.

danx on
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    Yea the figuary stuff is gone
    I think i would get a membership too, it's hard to go back to anything similar since the vids are so well produced

$3 bucks a month seems affordable for it's quality

Peas on
  • Options
    DidgeridooDidgeridoo Flighty Dame Registered User regular
    z1n7srdtg504.jpg

Gesture drawing attempts for today! Based on the paid Proko figure drawing class plus extra Youtube vids of models for practice. Next up is.... THE BEAN

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0660Fuih7qo&list=RDCMUClM2LuQ1q5WEc23462tQzBg&index=11

• Options
    Bubster WolfBubster Wolf Registered User regular
    Gestures are looking good!
    Look forward to the Bean, it's a game changer.

• Options
    Anyone toiling in the figure practice mines with me? Been stumbling along as best I can through Proko's course, albeit slowly due to work being a pain in the rear.

ggzeko8svdl5.jpg

dnioeqeln25s.jpg

q5usytxynmeb.jpg

• Options
    goegzk5hlnhw.jpg

More figure drawing practice. Lol, people are hard to draw