As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Playstation 5] Sony acquires Bungie for 3.6 Billion

RoeRoe Always to the EastRegistered User regular
edited December 2022 in Games and Technology
PS5-tunein-nodate.jpg

143354-games-feature-sony-playstation-5-release-date-rumours-and-everything-you-need-to-know-about-ps5-image1-cvz3adase9.jpg

Out now: Playstation 5 and Digital only Playstation 5. Normal is $500, discless is $400.

oHw5R0V.jpg
Sterica on

• AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    I went with neither option and am installing Control instead.

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • NogginNoggin Registered User regular
    Aegeri wrote: »

Good choice. Don’t sleep on Throw like I did.

Battletag: Noggin#1936
  • initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    I installed that and played through the begining and I'm excited by it but I want to tackle ghosts of Tsushima first

• Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    Noggin wrote: »
    Aegeri wrote: »

Good choice. Don’t sleep on Throw like I did.

Oh man, never sleep on Throw. Embrace the Jedi bullshit.

ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
    Oh I already did.

What surprised me is that the gun is actually really good. I had an expectation you just used throw and nothing else, but the base sidearm mode and the precision one is extremely good. The combat is great fun as well, but I did install the DLC as well so I don’t know if that changes anything.

edited October 2021
    The DLCs are pretty good, I found them worth doing. They show up later as side missions. I’m not sure if the DLC had anything beyond the extra storylines, like guns, or mods, etc.

Noggin on
  • urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    Alan Wake DLC was great.

• cckerberoscckerberos Registered User regular
    Noggin wrote: »
    The DLCs are pretty good, I found them worth doing. They show up later as side missions. I’m not sure if the DLC had anything beyond the extra storylines, like guns, or mods, etc.

They added new guns, mods, and powers. Multi-Launch was amazing.

cckerberos.png
  • Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    Expeditions is pretty throwaway DLC, though.

ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
    edited October 2021
    Also on Returnal, now that I think of it, I want to point out other than that ONE crash the game was entirely stable for the entire rest of the time I played it. I'm not sure why it crashed, but it only did so once in the 20-30 hours I put into it. So that was a good sign. It's still got a shitty saving system that is very unfair and doesn't consider that people have "Real life" going on, but it was very stable and it didn't regularly ruin any future runs. Now that I've got the secret ending and I'm just platinum hunting I don't really care that much anyway. I'm pretty much entirely looking for rare ciphers at this point.

Several days later, I am very very disappointed there was not a secret boss for all the effort the third act of the game makes you go through.

Aegeri on
  • a nu starta nu start Registered User regular
    Picked up Death Stranding (Director's Cut) because I knew it would be "my bag". This game is most definitely "my bag". Only problem I had in 30-some hours it let me wander into a new area I wasn't supposed to, and there was nothing there for me to do. So a waste of an hour.

And also, the autosaves are ridiculous. It saves a new one for every milestone, so I have more than 1Gb of saves already.

Number One Tricky
  • IcemopperIcemopper Registered User regular
    I'm late to the party but I finally started The Last of Us Part II and really have to give a lot of credit to Naughty Dog for their accessibility controls. I'm fortunate that I don't require many of them, but there's a lot in there that gives me so much flexibility over how the game is played. Probably the biggest one for me is gyroscopic controls while aiming, which is immensely helpful. And on the discussion of difficulty in games, they have the standard easy, medium, hard etc. settings, but individual sliders within that for stealth or damage, which is so awesome!

Still, on top of all that, I have such a hard time seeing my current health bar and main menu options. The depleted health is a slight shade of gray off from white, so I have a hard time immediately seeing what kind of danger I'm in. The main title text that you have selected is just slightly bolded compared to other text, so I have a really hard time seeing what option I have selected in the first place. Considering all the other effort they put into accessibility I'm surprised I haven't found a way to adjust these settings yet, but it isn't ruining my game or anything.

• ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    edited October 2021
    Damnit I’m getting stick drift in my left joystick on the ps5. Great. I’m going to hard restart and hope it’s just an update or software thing. So frustrating if not, I really don’t want to have to send the controller in for repair or replacement if they even do that, but if it persists I suppose i should

Prohass on
  • The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    Prohass wrote: »
    Damnit I’m getting stick drift in my left joystick on the ps5. Great. I’m going to hard restart and hope it’s just an update or software thing. So frustrating if not, I really don’t want to have to send the controller in for repair or replacement if they even do that, but if it persists I suppose i should

Try dripping a little bit of rubbing alcohol on the stick edges and then spinning it to work it in. But in my case this was only a temporary fix. I was getting some seriously hardcore drifting issues, and it really just ended up being dust/dirt related, but to properly get to the stick assembly for a proper blast of air, you have to take so damn much of the controller apart. If it's something you feel comfortable doing, I've said before it's honestly not that hard, just a whole lot of tiny screws and ribbon cables.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
    Yeah there’s no way I’m taking it apart, I’ll have to try just doing my best to clear any dirt from the outside and then send it in to get repaired or replaced or whatever if it doesn’t clear up. Just annoying. I was lucky and never had it happen to any of my controllers last gen so I suppose I was overdue

• The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    Yeah I don't blame you for not wanting to try. It really sucks that the problem is so damn minor and "easy" to fix. I really wish there was an easy way to get to the sticks other than taking the fucking thing 90% apart. What's really infuriating is the design of the controller almost allows it. The black trim easily pops off, just have that covering the sticks and let you remove them there. It could be so damn easy.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
    Started playing infamous second son, never played rhe first one but man the mocap and acting is really great in this. I’m really enjoying the start and the cutscenes

I have one with really bad drift that is unsalvageable, because I tried to get into it and the pins for the ribbon cables are sooo fragile.

The other was starting to seem off, but I saw a tip of pulling up on the stick and moving it around like that, and it’s been fine since.

edited October 2021
    Yeah I did some earnest wiggling around with it, pressing it in and pulling out slightly while moving the controller around upside down and side to side etc and it seems to have fixed it for now,

Prohass on
  • DirtyDirty Registered User regular
    Started playing infamous second son, never played rhe first one but man the mocap and acting is really great in this. I’m really enjoying the start and the cutscenes

It's a shame the older games aren't playable on anything but PS3. Infamous 2 is basically the peak of the series, at least from a gameplay perspective. It obviously can't compete visually with Second Son or First Light though.

Yeah I did some earnest wiggling around with it, pressing it in and pulling out slightly while moving the controller around upside down and side to side etc and it seems to have fixed it for now,

Same thing happened to me. I did the full reboot on the controller and the console and it seemed to fix it too.

Oh hey I apparently have $45 in best buy rewards bucks. I should buy one a them playstation games.

• DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    https://youtu.be/OC5s1Toy93A

Yo honestly this game looks rad as hell and I'm pretty excited for it.

Can't believe it's right around the corner. The back half of this year has been so insane. Just release after release every single month.

• Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    https://youtu.be/OC5s1Toy93A

Yo honestly this game looks rad as hell and I'm pretty excited for it.

Can't believe it's right around the corner. The back half of this year has been so insane. Just release after release every single month.

Yep, as a big fan of the guardians (both in the comics and MCU) I'm very excited for this game. I have just a short bit to finish Metroid so I can focus on more space faring action with these turd blossoms. :D

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
    Yeah unfortunately I'm burned out on the whole MCU superhero thing so I haven't even watched any of the videos of the game. Back4Blood comes out this week though so that'll tide me over until the next few months are over!

yeah that looks awesome as a DnA guardians fan to see that starlord suit not be forgotten in favor of MCU jacket and half helmet. Also god damn it every guardians thing that includes the nova corps and dances around richard rider can go to hell!

yeah that looks awesome as a DnA guardians fan to see that starlord suit not be forgotten in favor of MCU jacket and half helmet. Also god damn it every guardians thing that includes the nova corps and dances around richard rider can go to hell!

Yep, I'm a huge fan of the DnA run of Guardians and this game looks to showcase a bunch of why that run was so fantastic! I love that Starlord has his classic blonde hair. COSMO! (Cosmo the awesome Russian pup is always a pleasure.)

I also hope that Richard makes an appearance.

I kinda love that it seems the Universal Church of Truth will be the big bad. Hope to see Adam Warlock make an appearance.

PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
    My first guess was that was warlock at the end stinger but I'm not really sure

My first guess was that was warlock at the end stinger but I'm not really sure

Just re-watched the the end of the trailer and I think you are correct. That almost looked like the popped collar of his classic cape.

PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
    Man stealing the neon from neon signs in Infamous Second Son is so fun, wonderful visually and inventive.

• GMaster7GMaster7 Goggles Paesano Registered User regular
    No hate (of course) for anyone enjoying the recent releases (Deathloop, Diablo 2, Alan Wake, FIFA, Far Cry 6, Back 4 Blood) or looking forward to near-future stuff (Guardians, CoD, Battlefield, Dark Pictures Anthology)... but I am feeling extremely relieved, personally, that nothing recent or upcoming is appealing to me or showing up as must-experience between Kena (which I loved) and the end of the year. It's giving me a real escape from the rat race/hamster wheel of new releases and is freeing me to dig into the backlog and knock out some stuff that I missed. Got the Platinum in Kentucky Route Zero today and am working through the excellent 13 Sentinels: Aegis Rim right now.

Between what's in the backlog (which I've trimmed down) and what's on my wishlist, I'm feeling OK about what's on my plate at the moment. Interested to see what gets a deep discount when we get to Black Friday. That's always a tough time for my wallet on PSN (but the deals in recent years have been superb).

PSN: SKI2000G | Steam: GMaster7 | Battle.net: GMaster7#1842 | Twitch: twitch.tv/SKI2000G
    discovered i had some expiring best buy funbucks so i took advantage of a sale this week to get returnal for the cost of taxes

Was watching a Speed Run of Returnal where the developers were commenting on it and I was pleasantly surprised to discover they fully intend you to skip bosses once you beat them the first time (bar two). It's part of the game to see something once and once you've sort of beat it, have the option of just ignoring it in future playthroughs. That's a pretty good deal IMO.

• RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    So I've never played a Persona game, but I finally started Persona 5 Royal

I am 2.5 hours into the tutorial? And have barely had any gameplay whatsoever? This was a really well reviewed game. what the fuck is going on

Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
    Yeah I tried persona but it was extremely not for me, it definitely wasn’t my bag baby

Social stuff! You spend a lot of time talking to people, going out with them to build bonds and then you go into dungeons. The goal is to be as powerful as possible before going into the dungeon, so you can clear it ideally in 1-2 attempts. You get a lot out of building bonds with companions as opposed to simply grinding for levels, but eventually it will open a dungeon you can just explore and go squish shadows if you want as well. Persona 5 is mostly social simulator though and it presents its story VERY slowly (however well written it is). Like most JRPGs, it unnecessarily spends a lot of time explaining shit you already well understand, but the pay off is well worth it.

• RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    Well, okay. That's helpful to know

Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • GrundlestiltskinGrundlestiltskin Behind you!Registered User regular
    It's probably different if you rush through dialog (I let all the VO play out, for example), but my playthrough was ~100 hours and maybe half of that was dungeon gameplay? If you're not into the story/social link stuff it's probably not going to be for you.

3DS FC: 2079-6424-8577 | PSN: KaeruX65 | Steam: Karulytic | FFXIV: Wonder Boy
  • DirtyDirty Registered User regular
    Persona is one part turn-based JRPG, one part social sim (that's primarily just time management), one part anime, and one part visual novel. If you like the JRPG part and not really anything else, the whole thing is gonna be a slog because it can take a while to get back to the JRPG part. But if you like anime, and you end up liking the characters, you'll start to enjoy the downtime just as much as the action.

• GMaster7GMaster7 Goggles Paesano Registered User regular
    Looks like P5 Royal Deluxe Edition is 70% off starting today ($21 instead of $70). This holiday season might finally be the time for me to set aside 100+ hours and play it.

PSN: SKI2000G | Steam: GMaster7 | Battle.net: GMaster7#1842 | Twitch: twitch.tv/SKI2000G
This discussion has been closed.