As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[POTBS] Pirates of the Burning Sea

• YallYall Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    OK - got the game - tried to send a message to Peasant Dave but I think I don't have the required postage.

Anyway, I'd love to join up with you guys if you have room. I'm on your server and my name is:

Roy McArglebargle

Yall on
  • Kane Red RobeKane Red Robe Master of Magic ArcanusRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Got gifted this by my father, looks worth a shot. Patching endlessly at the moment, argh.

Kane Red Robe on
  • PeasantDavePeasantDave Jersey ShoreRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    If you make a pirate on Rackham, post the name here and I can get you into the guild.

PeasantDave on
  • TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    So how's the music in this game?
    I went to a trumpet and piano concert last night by some of the faculty at the college I went to, and one of the pieces in it was written by one of the two guys who wrote the music for PotBS. Apparently, the trumpet teacher at my college knew him in college, and he performed some of the trumpet tracks in the game. So that's kind of neat.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • Kane Red RobeKane Red Robe Master of Magic ArcanusRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    If you make a pirate on Rackham, post the name here and I can get you into the guild.

Yarr, I be Kayne Novem on Rackham, pirate extraordinaire. Of sorts. I sent you a tell in game as well.

Kane Red Robe on
    edited February 2008
    We should definitely set up a game-on channel on the PA Ventrillo server. The info is here:

http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showthread.php?t=39448

That chat interface is soooooo wonky in PotBS, I think using Vent would be much more condusive to team play.

At any rate, I'm gonna be on from around 5 or 6 EST until 10 EST tonight. Would love to meet up with some folks and even if we don't do group missions it would be nice to have voice chat's on the Vent server.

Also, do we (our society) have any goals? Is there anything that I should be producing for the group? I'd be happy to do my part, but I'll admit, I'm very newb-ish regarding the economy in the game.

Yall on
  • The Count Of Midget FistoThe Count Of Midget Fisto Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Is there a trial yet? I'm interested in trying this out. How RL friendly is this? is it possible to get to 50 in a reasonable about of time?

The Count Of Midget Fisto on
    In Low Orbit Over Budapest
    edited February 2008
    The game is very casual leveling friendly. There are no trial accounts although anyone who bought a physical product will have a friend code. I have given mine out and will let everyone know if I get a hold of another.

PeasantDave on
  • ArthilArthil Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Was going to ask as well if there was a trial, now that I know instead there are 'buddy codes' I'd just like to ask if anyone still has theirs and is willing to send one to me? The email you can send it to would be kazuhru@gmail.com. I'd definitely like to give this game a try, sounds like a lot of fun from what I've read.

Arthil on
    PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: Arthil
    edited February 2008
    Yeah, my friend code is also promised to a buddy. Sorry.

Yall on
  • HorseshoeHorseshoe Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I've heard this game doesn't have much of a twitch factor, which is good.

Do you think this this going to be playable for a guy like me who gets really high pings? (satellite internet).

For reference: Guild Wars was perfectly fine for me once I got the pacing down, but in WoW things like facing and distance meant I was absolutely fucked for pvp or enemies that moved around a lot.

Horseshoe on
    dmsigsmallek3.jpg
    edited February 2008
    Horseshoe wrote: »

Do you think this this going to be playable for a guy like me who gets really high pings? (satellite internet).

For reference: Guild Wars was perfectly fine for me once I got the pacing down, but in WoW things like facing and distance meant I was absolutely fucked for pvp or enemies that moved around a lot.

The combat is relatively slower paced and deliberate, so you would probably be fine. We seem to be at a shortage of trial accounts otherwise I would try to hook you up. Certainly if you don't PvP you won't have any problems at all, and even 6v6 group PvP should be fine.

PeasantDave on
    edited February 2008
    So I finally got the 'scavenge' skill last night. Hopefully this will help me make some loot. I think now that I'm level 12, I'm going to ignore missions for a while and prey on ships and then sell the deeds for profit. Is that how the rest of you have been leveling up, or have you been going the mission route?

Also, did any of you ever bother to have that one NPC in the ports adjust the difficulties of missions? If so, how does it effect exp/loot from the missions?

Yall on
  • Aberrant12Aberrant12 Registered User new member
    edited February 2008
    Been reading the forums for a while, but this is my first post.

Pirate Norgoth Drethdar is now sailing on Rackham. The game looks very interesting, I also have a British Privateer on Morgan.

Aberrant12 on
  • Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Is there any possible way to get a demo of this game? I want to try it once I get my internet hooked back up this weekend.

Nova_C on
    edited February 2008
    Sadly the only way to try the game out is with a buddy code, I think most of the people in this thread have already given theirs away >.<.

Arthil on
    edited February 2008
    Arthil wrote: »
    Sadly the only way to try the game out is with a buddy code, I think most of the people in this thread have already given theirs away >.<.

Well, if anyone has one left and sees this before Saturday, send me a PM. Otherwise after reading that one article linked in the last page, I'm sold.

Nova_C on
  • The Count Of Midget FistoThe Count Of Midget Fisto Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Nova_C wrote: »

Well, if anyone has one left and sees this before Saturday, send me a PM. Otherwise after reading that one article linked in the last page, I'm sold.

Same here, the article sold me. But I think I'll wait until next month when I get my new computer.

The Count Of Midget Fisto on
    In Low Orbit Over Budapest
  • HorseshoeHorseshoe Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Horseshoe wrote: »

The combat is relatively slower paced and deliberate, so you would probably be fine. We seem to be at a shortage of trial accounts otherwise I would try to hook you up. Certainly if you don't PvP you won't have any problems at all, and even 6v6 group PvP should be fine.

Man, that sounds good.

It'd be nice if they made it easier for people to try the game out.

Cuz I really wants to try this one.

Horseshoe on
    dmsigsmallek3.jpg
    edited February 2008
    Guild invites have been sent out to everyone who requested one at this time. I am working on getting more buddy codes.

PeasantDave on
    edited February 2008
    There were actually 5 members from our society on last night! Wow!

Yall on
  • Look Out it's Sabs!Look Out it's Sabs! Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Where is everyone playing on? I know there is a few of us from D&D that are in Rackham playing as the French. I have a lvl 18 navy officer so far and am loving this game so far.

Look Out it's Sabs! on
    NNID: Sabuiy
    3DS: 2852-6809-9411
  • NorgothNorgoth cardiffRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Aberrant12 wrote: »

Pirate Norgoth Drethdar is now sailing on Rackham. The game looks very interesting, I also have a British Privateer on Morgan.

Wait what?

Norgoth on
    edited February 2008
    Where is everyone playing on? I know there is a few of us from D&D that are in Rackham playing as the French. I have a lvl 18 navy officer so far and am loving this game so far.

Most of us are in Rackham playing as pirates. Umm... Yarrrr! :P

Yall on
    edited February 2008
    Yall wrote: »

Yarrrr, epic D&D vs. G&T fights?

Or maybe tag team the damn british.

Look Out it's Sabs! on
    edited February 2008

Yarrrr, epic D&D vs. G&T fights?

Or maybe tag team the damn british.

I'm up for about anything. I'd really like to focus on getting our groups heavily involved in the economy (if others are interested that is). Perhaps us having a couple of groups from different nations on the same server could give us some advantage.

Yarrrr!

Yall on
  • Aberrant12Aberrant12 Registered User new member
    edited February 2008
    Norgoth wrote: »
    Aberrant12 wrote: »

Wait what?

Oooh...weird. I thought -I- was the only Norgoth on the nets.

Aberrant12 on
  • zenpotatozenpotato Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    If anyone still has a buddy code floating around, I'd love to give this a try. I tried to get into EVE because the economy sounded cool, but I hated the space combat and the Fedex missions. Time to start thinking up cool pirate names.

zenpotato on
  • TaterskinTaterskin Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Is there a PA French Society up and running on Rackham?

Taterskin on
    edited February 2008
    Taterskin wrote: »

Not that I'm aware of - most of us are Pirates AFAIK.

Yall on
    edited February 2008

I will note that if you play French on Rackham you will not be able to play with us, so if you want to play French you might want to do it on another server, and then roll a pirate alt on Rackham. That said, you are certainly welcome to fight against us too. ^_^

PeasantDave on
    edited February 2008

I will note that if you play French on Rackham you will not be able to play with us, so if you want to play French you might want to do it on another server, and then roll a pirate alt on Rackham. That said, you are certainly welcome to fight against us too. ^_^

You gonna be on this weekend PD?

I think we should all get on the PA vent server. Beats typing!

Yall on
  • AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008

Not that I'm aware of - most of us are Pirates AFAIK.

Some of us folks from D&D do have a french one up, but there's like only 5 or 6 at the moment.

Aegis on
    We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
    edited February 2008

I should be on Saturday evening. I will add the PA vent info into the Society screen though. If you track down the information and PM it to me I'll make sure that goes up tonight.

I would also like to apologize for not being on as much as I would like. 2008 has hit me pretty hard, both in my work and personal life.

PeasantDave on
  • hazywaterhazywater Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Where are some screenshots of you guys in action? Y'all are slacking.

hazywater on
    Hrin - Eve Online
    edited February 2008

I should be on Saturday evening. I will add the PA vent info into the Society screen though. If you track down the information and PM it to me I'll make sure that goes up tonight.

I would also like to apologize for not being on as much as I would like. 2008 has hit me pretty hard, both in my work and personal life.

I too would like to be on more but I'm going to the Dominican (the real one, not the virtual one) so I'll be offline after next week for a few days.

I'll PM you the vent info - it's also available in the G&T forum as a sticky.

Yall on
    edited February 2008
    Just mentioning again that I'd love to have a buddy code to try this out if anyone gets another one. This game is calling to me so much =( *Wants a peg-leg*

Arthil on
    edited February 2008
    Just mentioning again that I'd love to have a buddy code to try this out if anyone gets another one. This game is calling to me so much =( *Wants a peg-leg*

You could try the official game forum - although it may require a Sony Station ID.

I just tried searchin on Yahoo and it looks like you might be able to find a trial key on the interwebs. I would do more research but of of the search results are gamer sites that my work filter bans.

Yall on
    edited February 2008
    Well, I picked the game up and finally got my internet back today. Made a pirate on Reckham, Sahara Ortiz. (Yes, I know it's one of the default last names. Gimme a break - I hate trying to come up with interesting last names).

Still bringing people into the PA society, PeasantDave? If so, toss my pirate an invite, please.

Nova_C on
    edited February 2008
    For anyone who wants to play France, we have a society with about 6 people, 3 of which are actively working on the economy part. The society is called Gurre pour le Benefice and our leader's name is Church de Gre. You can just send him a tell ingame if you want an invite, or just pm Church (that's his forum name).

We have about 3 naval officers, 2 free traders and 1 privateer.

Look Out it's Sabs! on