As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Chat] Get The Banana

• Options
    cptruggedcptrugged I think it has something to do with free will. Registered User regular
    I just wish my phone would last as long as my PC does. Since they are getting closer and closer in cost.

• Options
    MortiousMortious The Nightmare Begins Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Since I'm stuck working from home for the foreseeable future, I have been making a simple dough every Sunday and shoving it in the fridge. Then for breakfast or a snack I'd just fry up a flatbread with some spices.

It works really well, and the extra effort I put in this weekend to make a leavened naan bread dough was well worth it.

Move to New Zealand
    It’s not a very important country most of the time
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/mortious
  • Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    edited October 2021
    syndalis wrote: »
    Mortious wrote: »
    Chanus wrote: »
    progress

the lock icon on my phone wiggles as i try to use watch unlock

so it is communicating

it just doesn't work

but i am not told what's wrong
    and now suddenly it is working every time

which honestly is just making me more angry

in the apple ecosystem this means: you. you are wrong. :bzz:

(these kinds of apple interactions are indeed super frustrating)

I always assume this to be the case, Apple Ecosystem or not.

Apple is still the company that told people they were holding their phones wrong when they put their internal antenna right where 99% of the world holds their phone, or instead of creating a sustainable, easily replaceable batteries for their hardware, accelerated the rate of e-waste and just starting throttling down their older phones.

They're definitely the kings of "you're wrong, customer."

The throttling thing still being a thing for people shows just how badly they handled that, because apple was 100% in the right with what they did there and the vast majority of people never would have noticed the throttling... but they sure as shit would have noticed their phone spontaneously powering off when the older battery was no longer capable of supporting the full brunt of all cores running at max.

But running articles that talk about how apple actually prolonged the life of the device and kept it out of the repair shop or upgrade cycle by letting it work longer with older batteries isn't a catchy headline.

The solution is to not make phones that cannot be repaired by design.

I don't feel bad they got raked over the coals for it. It's a shitty, wasteful design choice (and to be fair it's not just Apple, but they arguably popularized it) and no company should be lauded for their designs which result in thousands of tons of waste in landfills yearly.

I mean, they charge 49-69 bucks out of warranty, do the battery swap for you and can do it while you wait. They also do proper battery disposal/recycling.

Sure, there is some margin there for them but they are not raking customers over the coals for this from a cost perspective, and the phone resumes working at full speed immediately once it gets a fresh battery.

They could also just you know, make it replaceable.

There's no good reason not to make it replaceable anymore.

I think the design of the phones is the best they have been, the battery life is really good, and I am sure one or both of those things would be sacrificed at the altar of making the battery user replaceable... and to what, save 20 bucks at most on a thing you might need to do three years down the road on a 1000+ dollar device?

No.

It's to stop making tons of unwarranted e-waste every time you throw a phone away every 2-3 years because the battery is dying anyway and besides it's only $30 a month with Verizon so

You're thinking small.

jungleroomx on
  • Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    Just for reference

Americans throw away 150 million phones a year. Because they're designed to be disposable and not fixable or upgradeable.

• Options
    MortiousMortious The Nightmare Begins Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    edited October 2021
    Two weeks ago I decided to not pull out the stand mixer and just make it by hand since they tend to be smallish batches, and that was a mistake I wont make again.

Mortious on
    Move to New Zealand
    It’s not a very important country most of the time
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/mortious
  • Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    Lmao

Me after my interview: I bombed. I fucked up
    My boss after my interview (he was interviewing me): congrats, you impressed me!

This was me when I got my current position. I was legit telling people that I was 99% sure I did terrible and that there was no way I was going to be getting it.

When they called to make the offer I had to stop myself from saying "I think you may be confused and called the wrong number?"

• Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    [
    Two weeks ago I decided to not pull out the stand mixer and just make it by hand since they tend to be smallish batches, and that was a mistake I wont make again.

The stand mixer is pretty much always worth using, unless you're doing sour dough or something.

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    Lmao

Me after my interview: I bombed. I fucked up
    My boss after my interview (he was interviewing me): congrats, you impressed me!

I had this conversation with one of the hiring managers in my current job

Me: I thought the interview went terribly for me, all we did was have a casual conversation!
    Him: it was awesome, all we did was have a conversation!

(I’d already done a technical interview, I thought this was a second technical interview rather than a culture fit one)

• Options
    Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    Phoenix-D wrote: »
    progress

so it is communicating

it just doesn't work

Apple is still the company that told people they were holding their phones wrong when they put their internal antenna right where 99% of the world holds their phone, or instead of creating a sustainable, easily replaceable batteries for their hardware, accelerated the rate of e-waste and just starting throttling down their older phones.

The throttling thing still being a thing for people shows just how badly they handled that, because apple was 100% in the right with what they did there and the vast majority of people never would have noticed the throttling... but they sure as shit would have noticed their phone spontaneously powering off when the older battery was no longer capable of supporting the full brunt of all cores running at max.

But running articles that talk about how apple actually prolonged the life of the device and kept it out of the repair shop or upgrade cycle by letting it work longer with older batteries isn't a catchy headline.

I don't feel bad they got raked over the coals for it. It's a shitty, wasteful design choice (and to be fair it's not just Apple, but they arguably popularized it) and no company should be lauded for their designs which result in thousands of tons of waste in landfills yearly.

If they had allowed for easy battery replacement, the entire thing would have not happened.

Or just you know, give the customer a warning instead of having a phone that's suddenly slow with no apparent reason why.

Which is why I said they handled it badly. What they did was a good thing, but it wasn't communicated well at all. They have since updated it to not only give that warning, but also let you check in on your battery health, and also turn off the throttling feature when your battery is getting older, at your own risk.

It was enough that I haven't bought an apple product since. And to be quite honest, the non apple cell phone and tablet I have now are at least as good as the apple cell and tablet i had before, and cost half as much.

• Options
    NecoNeco Worthless Garbage Registered User regular
    I’m e waste

• Options
    apple bad

• Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    I always found it funny how Elder Scrolls originally had nudity in the old games and then they stopped doing it when it became more mainstream.

I guess in the old days, there was no rating system.

• Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited October 2021
    cptrugged wrote: »
    I just wish my phone would last as long as my PC does. Since they are getting closer and closer in cost.

I have had 5 cell phones in my life, I'm going to use my pixel 3 until it breaks or stops working

I don't understand buying new phones, they all do the same shit

override367 on
  • Options
    autocorrect just changed “them” to “the ham”

yes thank you autocorrect I do say that a lot more

• Options
    RonaldoTheGypsyRonaldoTheGypsy Yes, yes Registered User regular
    Have a headache, was slightly nauseous, sweating/chills at work, I just told my boss to give me a personal today and drove home and got back in bed.

Don't think I would have done that if this was two years ago. Hooray for progress. Now, eating some soup and then getting back to rest.

• Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    Krathoon wrote: »
    I always found it funny how Elder Scrolls originally had nudity in the old games and then they stopped doing it when it became more mainstream.

Don't worry modders fix that right up.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    progress

so it is communicating

it just doesn't work

I mean, they charge 49-69 bucks out of warranty, do the battery swap for you and can do it while you wait. They also do proper battery disposal/recycling.

Sure, there is some margin there for them but they are not raking customers over the coals for this from a cost perspective, and the phone resumes working at full speed immediately once it gets a fresh battery.

I think the design of the phones is the best they have been, the battery life is really good, and I am sure one or both of those things would be sacrificed at the altar of making the battery user replaceable... and to what, save 20 bucks at most on a thing you might need to do three years down the road on a 1000+ dollar device?

It doesn't take much to make the battery replaceable. Apple has said the se about their laptops and yet a small company was able to make a laptop very close to the same size that's 100% user replaceable.

At the minimum just stop harassing repair shops and DRMing batteries

• Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular

Mm no due to a dragon break everyone in Nirn lost their genitalia

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2021
    Phoenix-D wrote: »
    progress

so it is communicating

it just doesn't work

It doesn't take much to make the battery replaceable. Apple has said the se about their laptops and yet a small company was able to make a laptop very close to the same size that's 100% user replaceable.

At the minimum just stop harassing repair shops and DRMing batteries

Apple's had customs agents seize shipments of batteries that would work in their products that they weren't getting.

You can like their stuff but also acknowledge, man, they are a bad fucking company. All major tech companies are bad fucking companies.

jungleroomx on
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular

Skyrim had nudity, didn't it? The naked tree chicks. Some of the sexy demons with hourglass figures.

• Options
    emnmnme wrote: »

Skyrim had nudity, didn't it? The naked tree chicks. Some of the sexy demons with hourglass figures.

Pretty sure that's not skyrim. Or it's mods.

• Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    Nova_C wrote: »

Yeah, looking it up real quick, the demons had metal bikinis.
    637177d0fab788751caa7b2ea1ee2027--skyrim-concept-art-halloween-cosplay.jpg

• Options
    GilgaronGilgaron Registered User regular
    progress

so it is communicating

it just doesn't work

Nonconsumer facing portables are interesting, for example I've been using these Panasonic Toughpads for some custom stuff and while they're thicker than most consumer facing hardware, it is waterproof, dustproof, toolless battery replacement, and you can completely tear down the device with a torx screwdriver if you need to replace parts. It wouldn't even really be much thicker than an iphone with case if it weren't for the barcode scanner hardware. Apple and Samsung have just convinced consumers they want glued together bricks.

• Options
    Gilgaron wrote: »
    progress

so it is communicating

it just doesn't work

Nonconsumer facing portables are interesting, for example I've been using these Panasonic Toughpads for some custom stuff and while they're thicker than most consumer facing hardware, it is waterproof, dustproof, toolless battery replacement, and you can completely tear down the device with a torx screwdriver if you need to replace parts. It wouldn't even really be much thicker than an iphone with case if it weren't for the barcode scanner hardware. Apple and Samsung have just convinced consumers they want glued together bricks.

They haven't convinced them of anything, they've provided no real options.

• Options
    Skyrim had Spriggans which weren't wearing clothes but were also made out of wood so I don't know that I'd really consider it nudity

Flame Antrochs actually do look like they're wearing clothes made out of cooled magma

• Options
    cptruggedcptrugged I think it has something to do with free will. Registered User regular

I have had 5 cell phones in my life, I'm going to use my pixel 3 until it breaks or stops working

I try to make them last 5 years. But that's gotten shorter as I've gotten more money and less patient for inconvenience.

I'm planning to switch out my Pixel 2 at the end of the year but I'm probably going to switch carriers too. T-Mobile's buyout of Sprint has not been that great for convenience of my service.

• Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    Oblivion has all kinds of disturbing stuff to walk in on. That was kind of a darker game.

• Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    edited October 2021
    Flame antronochs are sexy while ice and storm antronochs are big blogs of stuff. This is very important for lore reasons.

Styrofoam Sammich on
    wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options

I try to make them last 5 years. But that's gotten shorter as I've gotten more money and less patient for inconvenience.

I'm planning to switch out my Pixel 2 at the end of the year but I'm probably going to switch carriers too. T-Mobile's buyout of Sprint has not been that great for convenience of my service.

My pixel 2 is 4 years old at this point, and what I've been hearing about the new pixels isn't great, so I'm loathe to replace it. Battery life is still good, though, and there's no indication of slowdown, which was very obvious on my 4s it replaced, so I'll probably keep it longer.

• Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    Flame antronochs are sexy while ice and storm antronochs are big blogs of stuff. This is very important for lore reasons.

Are you a deadrasexual?

• Options
    GilgaronGilgaron Registered User regular
    Gilgaron wrote: »
    progress

so it is communicating

it just doesn't work

They haven't convinced them of anything, they've provided no real options.

While true on the one hand, it isn't like people are clamoring to get Verizon to stock Toughpads at the store. Another impressive trait with the industrial devices is that this thing can operate submerged, but the battery door has a gasket so minimal you wouldn't realize that's what it was. So, in addition to not feeling incentivized to make batteries user replaceable, it seems apparent that devices have been left much more easily damaged by water than their designs would otherwise require.

• Options
    edited October 2021
    I won't post her here but Doedre Darktongue from Path of Exile, after she drops the weight

Man

(not a good "man")

jungleroomx on
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    I remember when Samsung had replaceable batteries. The back of the phone popped off on me all the time.

• Options
    SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
  • Options
    JebusUDJebusUD Adventure! Candy IslandRegistered User regular

@Incenjucar yowza am I rite!

and I wonder about my neighbors even though I don't have them
    but they're listening to every word I say
  • Options
    WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    Who do I side with, TurtleRock or KFC??

• Options
    edited October 2021

T-Mobiles buyout of Sprint has been a fucking scam.

I'm supposed to be paying $60.67 for the retention deal Sprint made me right before the buyout and I have the emailed offer to prove it.

T-Mobile has been charging me $144.16

They've been "looking into it" for over a fucking year

HappylilElf on
  • Options
    zagdrobzagdrob Registered User regular
    Tav wrote: »
    customers are idiots though

I once had a lady insistently try to return a half empty gallon of milk that she had bought at Target, at the Wal-Mart I worked at

I was like "it says Target on it, right there, Archer Farms a product of Target"

She said "it's pronounced Tarjay, it's fancy milk"

the manager accepted her return and gave her $3 in store credit

All things considered $3 (that will be coming right back into your store many times over) is a pittance not to have to deal with that someone.

• Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    JebusUD wrote: »

Incenjucar yowza am I rite!

Gotta love those spicy gals.

This discussion has been closed.