As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Chat] Get The Banana

• SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    My s9 is 3.5y old, and it's mostly still fine (a few minor scatches, the USB-C is a little loose), but the battery is definitely deteriorating. I can't get a direct quote from Samsung NL for replacement from their website, they want me to submit a form first, which sucks in its own right. A third party replacement at a somewhat reputable store is €75 including the new battery, I assume that's about 50/50 between labor and the battery. I'd be tempted to do the latter just to not reward Samsung for their BS.

Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
  • NecoNeco Worthless Garbage Registered User regular
    Where is my deodorant

• emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    Winky wrote: »
    Who do I side with, TurtleRock or KFC??

Avoid controversy altogether by eating Popeye's chicken while playing Deep Rock Galactic.

• MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    Nova_C wrote: »
    cptrugged wrote: »
    cptrugged wrote: »
    I just wish my phone would last as long as my PC does. Since they are getting closer and closer in cost.

I have had 5 cell phones in my life, I'm going to use my pixel 3 until it breaks or stops working

I don't understand buying new phones, they all do the same shit

I try to make them last 5 years. But that's gotten shorter as I've gotten more money and less patient for inconvenience.

I'm planning to switch out my Pixel 2 at the end of the year but I'm probably going to switch carriers too. T-Mobile's buyout of Sprint has not been that great for convenience of my service.

My pixel 2 is 4 years old at this point, and what I've been hearing about the new pixels isn't great, so I'm loathe to replace it. Battery life is still good, though, and there's no indication of slowdown, which was very obvious on my 4s it replaced, so I'll probably keep it longer.

I have a 4 and its pretty great. I had a Pixel 1 before this.

The Pixel 6 is a full redo with new processors and basically Google stepping up to try and match Apple's hardware game. So I am curious about how it turns out.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    I replace my phone every 2-3 years by the traditional method of accidentally breaking it.

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    Sometimes I sell my stuff on Ebay
  • HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    Gilgaron wrote: »
    syndalis wrote: »
    Mortious wrote: »
    Chanus wrote: »
    progress

the lock icon on my phone wiggles as i try to use watch unlock

so it is communicating

it just doesn't work

but i am not told what's wrong
    and now suddenly it is working every time

which honestly is just making me more angry

in the apple ecosystem this means: you. you are wrong. :bzz:

(these kinds of apple interactions are indeed super frustrating)

I always assume this to be the case, Apple Ecosystem or not.

Apple is still the company that told people they were holding their phones wrong when they put their internal antenna right where 99% of the world holds their phone, or instead of creating a sustainable, easily replaceable batteries for their hardware, accelerated the rate of e-waste and just starting throttling down their older phones.

They're definitely the kings of "you're wrong, customer."

The throttling thing still being a thing for people shows just how badly they handled that, because apple was 100% in the right with what they did there and the vast majority of people never would have noticed the throttling... but they sure as shit would have noticed their phone spontaneously powering off when the older battery was no longer capable of supporting the full brunt of all cores running at max.

But running articles that talk about how apple actually prolonged the life of the device and kept it out of the repair shop or upgrade cycle by letting it work longer with older batteries isn't a catchy headline.

The solution is to not make phones that cannot be repaired by design.

I don't feel bad they got raked over the coals for it. It's a shitty, wasteful design choice (and to be fair it's not just Apple, but they arguably popularized it) and no company should be lauded for their designs which result in thousands of tons of waste in landfills yearly.

I mean, they charge 49-69 bucks out of warranty, do the battery swap for you and can do it while you wait. They also do proper battery disposal/recycling.

Sure, there is some margin there for them but they are not raking customers over the coals for this from a cost perspective, and the phone resumes working at full speed immediately once it gets a fresh battery.

They could also just you know, make it replaceable.

There's no good reason not to make it replaceable anymore.

I think the design of the phones is the best they have been, the battery life is really good, and I am sure one or both of those things would be sacrificed at the altar of making the battery user replaceable... and to what, save 20 bucks at most on a thing you might need to do three years down the road on a 1000+ dollar device?

Nonconsumer facing portables are interesting, for example I've been using these Panasonic Toughpads for some custom stuff and while they're thicker than most consumer facing hardware, it is waterproof, dustproof, toolless battery replacement, and you can completely tear down the device with a torx screwdriver if you need to replace parts. It wouldn't even really be much thicker than an iphone with case if it weren't for the barcode scanner hardware. Apple and Samsung have just convinced consumers they want glued together bricks.

Man that is everything I would want in a phone, including the added thickness, but I'm not paying two grand for one :P

• thatassemblyguythatassemblyguy Janitor of Technical Debt .Registered User regular
    Doodmann wrote: »
    I replace my phone every 2-3 years by the traditional method of accidentally breaking it.

This is the way.

• DrezDrez Registered User regular
    Metroid Dread might be my game of the year.

I haven't finished it yet but it's soooo good. I love every second of it, even the very few parts that piss me off. I'm not sure I can say that about any other game this year.

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
  • IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    My Moto from 2017 still works fine.

• TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    Vanguard wrote: »

i can’t think of a more British headline tbh

• AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    I'm still* rocking a flip phone.

*still since two weeks ago when I got it it's onna them bourgeois phones with a folding screen; first against the wall

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • cptruggedcptrugged I think it has something to do with free will. Registered User regular
    Hmm. I didn't see the thing about the Pixel 6's about to come out. I'll have to see how that all shakes out before I replace my phone. I may just switch carriers.

• Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    Tav wrote: »
    Vanguard wrote: »

i can’t think of a more British headline tbh

66f6ead6fd3441bb9c8945770051ff2e--sexy-movies.jpg

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • zagdrobzagdrob Registered User regular
    I've noticed a decrease in battery life, but my four year old S8 is still fine for just about everything.

Kinda hard to really compare battery life though since my usage habits in 2017 / 2018 were a lot different than they are now.

Unless I break it I figure I've got another two years of use before I replace it. My wife got a S21 Pro and its nice - camera especially - but not like the difference between my old S5 and this S8.

• ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited October 2021
    I think the design of the phones is the best they have been.

I still prefer the 6-11 design language, with rounded edges. And I like how little of the front is wasted these days with pretty much all of it being screen, but the home button is still the best sign-in method I’ve ever used in anything. Face ID is just not the same.

Elki on
    smCQ5WE.jpg
    I have a phone

• jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    Drez wrote: »
    Metroid Dread might be my game of the year.

I haven't finished it yet but it's soooo good. I love every second of it, even the very few parts that piss me off. I'm not sure I can say that about any other game this year.

It's pretty incredible, and Samus is a great character and got treated how she deserved to be after the Other M fiasco.

• japanjapan Registered User regular
    Nothing enrages a British retiree like being reminded that Spain is a country as opposed to some kind of Mediterranean theme park

• GilgaronGilgaron Registered User regular
    Gilgaron wrote: »
    Mortious wrote: »
    progress

the lock icon on my phone wiggles as i try to use watch unlock

so it is communicating

it just doesn't work

but i am not told what's wrong
    and now suddenly it is working every time

which honestly is just making me more angry

in the apple ecosystem this means: you. you are wrong. :bzz:

(these kinds of apple interactions are indeed super frustrating)

I always assume this to be the case, Apple Ecosystem or not.

Apple is still the company that told people they were holding their phones wrong when they put their internal antenna right where 99% of the world holds their phone, or instead of creating a sustainable, easily replaceable batteries for their hardware, accelerated the rate of e-waste and just starting throttling down their older phones.

They're definitely the kings of "you're wrong, customer."

The throttling thing still being a thing for people shows just how badly they handled that, because apple was 100% in the right with what they did there and the vast majority of people never would have noticed the throttling... but they sure as shit would have noticed their phone spontaneously powering off when the older battery was no longer capable of supporting the full brunt of all cores running at max.

But running articles that talk about how apple actually prolonged the life of the device and kept it out of the repair shop or upgrade cycle by letting it work longer with older batteries isn't a catchy headline.

The solution is to not make phones that cannot be repaired by design.

I don't feel bad they got raked over the coals for it. It's a shitty, wasteful design choice (and to be fair it's not just Apple, but they arguably popularized it) and no company should be lauded for their designs which result in thousands of tons of waste in landfills yearly.

I mean, they charge 49-69 bucks out of warranty, do the battery swap for you and can do it while you wait. They also do proper battery disposal/recycling.

Sure, there is some margin there for them but they are not raking customers over the coals for this from a cost perspective, and the phone resumes working at full speed immediately once it gets a fresh battery.

They could also just you know, make it replaceable.

There's no good reason not to make it replaceable anymore.

I think the design of the phones is the best they have been, the battery life is really good, and I am sure one or both of those things would be sacrificed at the altar of making the battery user replaceable... and to what, save 20 bucks at most on a thing you might need to do three years down the road on a 1000+ dollar device?

Nonconsumer facing portables are interesting, for example I've been using these Panasonic Toughpads for some custom stuff and while they're thicker than most consumer facing hardware, it is waterproof, dustproof, toolless battery replacement, and you can completely tear down the device with a torx screwdriver if you need to replace parts. It wouldn't even really be much thicker than an iphone with case if it weren't for the barcode scanner hardware. Apple and Samsung have just convinced consumers they want glued together bricks.

Man that is everything I would want in a phone, including the added thickness, but I'm not paying two grand for one :P

Yeah and its totally economics of scale, they get cheaper the more you're ordering pretty quickly. If they were on the shelf at Best Buy they wouldn't be $2k. At this point though I'd think it'd have to be the EU passing some e-waste laws to get consumer grade stuff made more like these.

My game of the year is

Xenosaga

• BSoBBSoB Registered User regular
    After the sprint merger, they made me upgrade my phone to 5g. Totally bait and switched me on the free upgrade.

They promised a new Samsung, but when I got there, oh gee that promotion just ended whatdoyouknow.

Here is a Nord. Which is a totally real phone manufacturer that exists.

• skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular
    dang rito is getting rid of cross team chat because it's toxic

it only took them like 12 years to do it!

https://www.leagueoflegends.com/en-us/news/game-updates/disabling-all-chat/

• japanjapan Registered User regular
    My year of the game is

My game of year is monopoly

Now they just need to disable team chat and finally League of Legends will be a decent game to play!

Neco wrote: »

Capitalist swine

• ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod

Wait, they let you talk to the other team? That’s crazy, and immediately obviously bad.

smCQ5WE.jpg
  • emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular

Capitalist swine

It’s ok I stole it

• skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular
    Elki wrote: »

Wait, they let you talk to the other team? That’s crazy, and immediately obviously bad.

well sometimes it was used to say 'hey nice skin' or 'congrats on the pentakill'!

(mostly it was used to neg people on the other team and advocate that they uninstall and kill themselves, or neg your own teammates to a wider audience)

• OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    hmmm i have been kind of laying in bed, crying and trembling from the adrenaline comedown and feeling like throwing up and wishing desperately that i get this job so i can afford the therapy i very clearly need whether or not i get this job

how... unfortunate

at least my haircut is good

• ZephiranZephiran Registered User regular
    Man, Stone Ocean's gonna be some tight shit.

Alright and in this next scene all the animals have AIDS.

I got a little excited when I saw your ship.
  • OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    i think i'm gonna go do a bunch of sprints so i at least barf on my own terms and am not subject to the whims of my baboon assed emotions

Please write your congressperson to make t illegal for me to be poor and have a job. I will not rest until it is a law that everyone gives me lots of money.

Don’t wanna work just wanna play final fantasy 😡😡😡😡😡😡😡😡😡😡😡😡😡

• JebusUDJebusUD Adventure! Candy IslandRegistered User regular
    Organichu wrote: »
    hmmm i have been kind of laying in bed, crying and trembling from the adrenaline comedown and feeling like throwing up and wishing desperately that i get this job so i can afford the therapy i very clearly need whether or not i get this job

how... unfortunate

at least my haircut is good

It is important to have a good haircut. We talking a fade or what style?

I write you a story
    But it loses its thread
  • cptruggedcptrugged I think it has something to do with free will. Registered User regular
    My game of the year is

Xenosaga

KOS-MOS for best robot lady.

• Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    Oh my god I just used an earwax removal kit on advice of my doctor and I got a pea sized, black, hard ball of wax out of each ear

AhhhhAHHHH what the fuck was that and why was it there

• Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
This discussion has been closed.