As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Looking for Clarity. [ Monitors ]

• Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    My Eve Spectrum arrived. This is my first "nice" gaming monitor.

I will need to learn how to set it up. Every time I turn it on it chugs for a few seconds, even at 1920x1280.

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    Are there any good videos that show VA panel black smearing?

I'm in the market for an ultra wide, and IPS ultrawides are, well, very expensive. There's several VA ultrawides in my price range, however.

• Options
    LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    -Loki- wrote: »
    Are there any good videos that show VA panel black smearing?

I'm in the market for an ultra wide, and IPS ultrawides are, well, very expensive. There's several VA ultrawides in my price range, however.

I don't get any black smearing on my samsung g7, which is a VA with a widescreen version.

• Options
    rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    edited October 2021
    The Odyssey is the only VA that doesn't smear horribly, and you pay a bit of a premium for that. So its not going to save you any money versus IPS like the smeary VAs will.

The best thing to look at would be TestUFO stills. That's also something you can run on your own monitor (and take a photo of) for comparison.

rahkeesh2000 on
  • Options
    NEO|PhyteNEO|Phyte They follow the stars, bound together. Strands in a braid till the end.Registered User regular
    As an update to my last post in here, I did end up driving out and picking up a monitor, ended up going with the 27" version of that LG ultragear, don't have the space for much bigger than that. Its cables were annoyingly short for getting it set up, but it has been working a treat. Need to get figured out if any of the games I've been playing lately have hdr, I know the Monster Hunter rise demo does. Main issue I've had is that it keeps moving all my windows over to that monitor when I turn it on, my understanding is that is because Windows is terrible at DisplayPort. Need to start looking at upgrading my secondary monitor as well, is there any weirdness where you want to try and have matched monitors, or should I just grab something that doesn't have all the gaming bells and whistles because it won't be for games?

It was that somehow, from within the derelict-horror, they had learned a way to see inside an ugly, broken thing... And take away its pain.
    Warframe/Steam: NFyt
  • Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    The Odyssey is the only VA that doesn't smear horribly, and you pay a bit of a premium for that. So its not going to save you any money versus IPS like the smeary VAs will.

The best thing to look at would be TestUFO stills. That's also something you can run on your own monitor (and take a photo of) for comparison.

Yeah I went and checked them out and I'll probably just end up getting a 27" Ultragear and go with 2 monitors, probably using my current monitor in portrait.

• Options
    Trajan45Trajan45 Registered User regular
    NEO|Phyte wrote: »
    As an update to my last post in here, I did end up driving out and picking up a monitor, ended up going with the 27" version of that LG ultragear, don't have the space for much bigger than that. Its cables were annoyingly short for getting it set up, but it has been working a treat. Need to get figured out if any of the games I've been playing lately have hdr, I know the Monster Hunter rise demo does. Main issue I've had is that it keeps moving all my windows over to that monitor when I turn it on, my understanding is that is because Windows is terrible at DisplayPort. Need to start looking at upgrading my secondary monitor as well, is there any weirdness where you want to try and have matched monitors, or should I just grab something that doesn't have all the gaming bells and whistles because it won't be for games?

I'd for sure match resolution but otherwise it shouldn't matter to much. Maybe match panel type as well.

Origin ID\ Steam ID: Warder45
  • Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    So im completely out of the loop as far as screens are concerned.

What would be a good ultrawide 1440p for gaming? I'll be running on an AMD Graphics card for a while, so Freesync would be required.

Amazon has this Dell on sale for $270, no idea if it's a good deal or not though, I'm way out of the monitor game.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    tsmvengytsmvengy Registered User regular
    edited October 2021
    webguy20 wrote: »
    So im completely out of the loop as far as screens are concerned.

What would be a good ultrawide 1440p for gaming? I'll be running on an AMD Graphics card for a while, so Freesync would be required.

Amazon has this Dell on sale for $270, no idea if it's a good deal or not though, I'm way out of the monitor game.

I always go for these recommendations, you probably want something from the "budget" category at that price point:
    https://youtu.be/qPqOfTnU2j4?t=919

tsmvengy on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    Dell has the S2721DGF on sale for $260 off ($320), so I went to Best Buy and price matched it just a little bit ago.

I was worried about it cause all the reviews said it had low contrast ratio, but holy crap! This thing is gorgeous! The colors are so vivid, it's extremely bright, text is sharp and smooth as hell, and the blacks look great to me!

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    One of the monitors on my desk burnt out, I'm thinking of upgrading the whole dang thing to an ultrawide but I'm not sure how much monitor I can fit in there.

It's a small corner desk so space is limited but I know the ultrawides are curved. How do I figure out the measurements on them?

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    Most of the manufactures have the measurements on their website. The curve is pretty minimal from what I've seen.

• Options
    More specifically, go into the specifications section and look at the "dimensions", that will give you a rectangular prism you can measure your desk space against.

• Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    Yeah looks like I can fit a 38" ultrawide in my space, so gotta start hunting for a deal.

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    NEO|PhyteNEO|Phyte They follow the stars, bound together. Strands in a braid till the end.Registered User regular
    So I have been putting off upgrading my secondary monitor because I am a lazy, and it occurs to me that we are at the time of year where you can theoretically get a good price on something. 27 inch, 1440, doesn't need any of the fancy gaming bells and whistles because I've already got a gaming monitor, so the most intensive thing I am expecting it to do is YouTube and or other streaming services.

It was that somehow, from within the derelict-horror, they had learned a way to see inside an ugly, broken thing... And take away its pain.
  • Options
    New monitor got! A bit of poking suggested that there isn't really a non-gaming market for 1440, at least in the places I looked. Everything was all 1ms response time 144hz with gsync. Ended up going for another LG Ultragear, but not the super fancy one I have on my primary. It being a static stand instead of the swivel and height adjust of the other one had me briefly worried, but once I had it on the desk it's sitting fine despite the minor unevenness in the desk's design. Brain is still adjusting to the resolution change on the secondary, but it has been able to confirm that the odd visual flickering I was getting on sites with animations going (such as scrolling imgur's front page) was apparently related to the resolution mismatch between screens, as it seems to have gone away.

• Options
    V1mV1m Registered User regular
    My brother just got a CX1 48" and I am feeling multiple conflicting emotions right now

• Options
    BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    edited December 2021
    Is this the place to ask for monitor advice? I've got a couple of truly ancient HP2009m's, and I've wanted to upgrade, but also not really had money to spend. Got a new job, and it's work from home again, but trying to do the two keyboard thing killed me last time, so I got a KVM switch. Unfortunately, it looks like my monitors just won't do the KVM switch. With the company provided monitor and an old TV I can get both to show up on my desktop and my work laptop, but the 2009m's just don't show up.

The plan is probably to run one shared monitor, and then a dedicated desktop monitor and the laptop monitor so I have three up with only two having the mouse/keyboard at a time, but I'd like to get a switchable second monitor. I'm spoiled from drafting on a 32" at my last job, but there is no way I'm convincing the wife we need to spend that much money on a monitor. What's a decent monitor somewhere in the 20's thats fairly cheap?

As schuss pointed out over in the PC thread, I left some stuff off. I'm not super worried about 4k, or a super high refresh rate. I'm mostly playing PoE and Genshin Impact. At some point I'm sure I'll get stuff like CyberPunk and Control, but for the moment my primary concern is size. I'm going to be using the monitor for drafting, and I'd like to have as much space to work as possible (it helps being able to see more of the space while at a level of zoom I can actually read). Red Raevyn posted this over in the build thread, and it's probably the best deal/size I've seen, so if its still available once I've pulled down a paycheck or two, I'll probably try and grab it unless I find something better.

Edit: reading schuss's comments and a couple posts on this page, I realize the resolution question might be to avoid a mismatch. My work monitor is a P2219H Dell, and a laptop, both running at 1920 x 1080. My old 2009m, which right now I have circumventing the switch (which kind of leaves me with one screen dedicated to each system and one screen switching for a total of 3) is 1600 x 900 max. I'm not sure what the refresh on either is.

Brody on
    "I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
  • Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    Really the question is 1440p or 1080p. 1080p is going to be a lot cheaper and easier (and match work resolution), but for future gaming detail, may leave you disappointed. I just picked up an lg ultragear that's great, but might be more spendy for your use case. I'd recommend taking a peak here: https://www.rtings.com/monitor/reviews/best/by-resolution/1080p-full-hd
    To start the hunt. The good news is that good looking IPS monitors are fairly plentiful.

• Options
    edited January 2022
    I asked this in the build a PC thread but it seems it's stuck in an argument about crypto again.

Anyone have experience with Gigabyte monitors?

This ultrawide popped up recently (I think it released last September?) and there's very few reviews for it, and none from sources I regularly go to.

On paper, it's very impressive for the price. It's also flat, not curved, so it'll happily sit alongside my current monitor. Downside is it's HDR is sticker only. It's HDR400, but according to the one decent review I found it can't reach 400 nits, and it's got no local dimming to speak of. However, the impressions of the picture quality and colour vibrancy were very positive.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    I asked this in the build a PC thread but it seems it's stuck in an argument about crypto again.

Anyone have experience with Gigabyte monitors?

This ultrawide popped up recently (I think it released last September?) and there's very few reviews for it, and none from sources I regularly go to.

On paper, it's very impressive for the price. It's also flat, not curved, so it'll happily sit alongside my current monitor. Downside is it's HDR is sticker only. It's HDR400, but according to the one decent review I found it can't reach 400 nits, and it's got no local dimming to speak of. However, the impressions of the picture quality and colour vibrancy were very positive.

Hardware unboxed liked the VA version of this monitor and say check this one out even though they haven't reviewed it:
    https://youtu.be/CEqQi6Ljq8g?t=1043

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Yeah I know they mentioned it in there, so I've been waiting on Tim to review it since he knows about it, but nothing yet. It'll be about 6 months before I seriesly go looking for my next monitor, so hopefully by then they're done a review.

• Options
    edited January 2022
    Well, that sits about where I expected for the price. Squarely in the middle.

Why is it so hard picking a monitor....

-Loki- on
  • Options
    For some reason monitor makers seemed to think (or marketing told them) that getting bigger refresh rates is the best way to get a buyers attention. Only recently have we seen mini-led and full array local dimming show up. So they are restricted to the top of the line units.

• Options
    I'm getting the urge to just go all out and get an Odyssey G9.

• Options
    FiskebentFiskebent DenmarkRegistered User regular
    I've bought 2 Gigabyte M27Q monitors and I'm not sure I understand how to set them up properly. My graphics card is an ASUS RTX 2060 Super which has 2 DisplayPort outputs and 2 HDMI outputs.

When I hook both monitors up to a DisplayPort output on the card, only one monitor works. If I hook the second monitor up to an HDMI output, they both work.
    As I understand it, you can daisy chain DP monitors, but as far as I can see, there's no DP-out port on the monitors which I would expect.

Do any of you know how I connect my stuff together to get the best result?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Is there anything unsatisfactory about the way that they both work when you use the DP/HDMI setup?

• Options
    FiskebentFiskebent DenmarkRegistered User regular
    Not really. I'm mostly wondering why they don't both work when I hook them up to DP.

Also, the cable for the monitor furthest away from my PC is a bit too short, so it would be neather if I could run it to the monitor closer to the PC.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    I'm getting the urge to just go all out and get an Odyssey G9.

I did. Recently. The Neo one.

FALD is pretty remarkable. Obviously not as perfect as OLED but in gaming you will be super hard pressed to notice.

The HDR is bananas, and the brightness is almost painful cranked all the way up.

Just... make sure you keep the box it came in for a little bit - there are some quality issues Samsung is cursed with on their Odyssey line and hopefully you don't get a dud.

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    At this point, if you can fit a 40" TV, I'd almost always go that route. OLED is amazing (I think LG has a 44" coming this year), but even FALD is years ahead in terms of zones. I think the Odyssey is one of the only monitors I've seen that combines all the things you'd want into a monitor, but at that price, if you can fit it, go with a TV.

• Options
    Fiskebent wrote: »
    Not really. I'm mostly wondering why they don't both work when I hook them up to DP.

Also, the cable for the monitor furthest away from my PC is a bit too short, so it would be neather if I could run it to the monitor closer to the PC.

Have you tried them in different permutations? E.g. have you tried each monitor, by itself, with each cable, in each DP port? That would rule out one of the GPU ports being bad, or one of the monitor DP ports being bad, or one of the DP cables being bad.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited January 2022
    Trajan45 wrote: »
    At this point, if you can fit a 40" TV, I'd almost always go that route. OLED is amazing (I think LG has a 44" coming this year), but even FALD is years ahead in terms of zones. I think the Odyssey is one of the only monitors I've seen that combines all the things you'd want into a monitor, but at that price, if you can fit it, go with a TV.

The problem I have going with a TV is twofold.

First, I dislike PC gaming at 4k, because even with the absolute highest end video cards you're not doing that reslution with consistently high framerates without turning down graphics settings. 1440p gives a nice middle ground of much better resolution than 1080p but not so high that you need to start dropping graphics settings.

Second, my room with my PC isn't big enough for me to sit far enough back from even a 40" TV.

After getting irritated by all this during the weekend, I think I'll just get the M34WQ. An Odyssey G9 would be nice, but if you're going to display the entire screen you run into similar problems as 4k in terms of grunt required to do it, and I really just can't justify that money on a monitor.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    Trajan45 wrote: »

LG has a 42" OLED coming out this year, the C2. It will effectively have the same 'Evo' panel as the G1 series this year. The horizontal width will be pretty comparable to a 34" ultrawide, there will just be more vertical space. But a rather lower pixel density than a double-1440 display, it must be said. No DP either.

• Options
    Yeah if you want that 1440p, then a TV wouldn't work well. I was doing 1080p for everything with my 1070. Now I can do quite a few things 4K with my 3080.

• Options
    Ear3nd1lEar3nd1l Eärendil the Mariner, father of Elrond Registered User regular
    Hey folks. I recently got a Mac Mini with Monterey on it. It does not seem to like my HP monitor very much because the text is really fuzzy. I've adjusted the pixel settings via terminal commands and it helped a little. But it seems the PPI on this monitor is only 88, so that's probably as good as it's going to get.

I am considering this Philips monitor even though it's not a Retina display. It's PPI is 157, which is better, but not quite the recommended 220 PPI. Does anyone have experience with a non-Retina display? I'm sure it will be an improvement on the one I have, but should I bite the bullet and save my pennies for a true Retina display?

Full disclosure, my eyes kinda suck, so I'm not certain it would be worth it.

https://www.amazon.com/Philips-288E2E-Frameless-Adjustable-Replacement/dp/B08TF58RR4/

• Options
    edited February 2022
    I think recent versions of OSX have abandoned sub-pixel rendering, so yeah it's not going to look good on 1080p displays.

You do not need a 5K monitor at 27", 4K is more than enough for very sharp text, and the cost differential is pretty ridiculous.

What's worse is that Apple retina scaling is very rigid, the baseline rendering for the desktop is double the "standard" resolution, and then it simply interpolates the rest of the way. In other words, going above 2x scale is going to make things blurry. That can get pretty small on a 27" 5k monitor, hell my bad eyes can have trouble even with 2x on a 4k 27".

rahkeesh2000 on
  • Options
    Ear3nd1lEar3nd1l Eärendil the Mariner, father of Elrond Registered User regular
    Thanks for the info. I ended up getting this monitor Friday, and so far I'm pretty happy with it. It's nice and crisp, both in Windows and in OSX.

• Options
    Anyone have experience with the Acer Predator XB323UGP?

Looks like it ticks all of my boxes aside from Ultrawide, which I'm happy to go without. 1440p, HDR600 with local dimming (not fantastic - 16 vertical dimming zones rather than FALD) but better than no dimming at all, Freesync, high refresh rate and best of all it's in my price range.