As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Extraction. Exploitation. Tubes. [Satisfactory]

• The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
  • Beef AvengerBeef Avenger Registered User regular
    I'm so excited to zoop

Steam ID
    PSN: Robo_Wizard1
  • KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    The pipe and belt snapping changes are fantastic

2x39jD4.jpg
    Some great little changes in there, but it's still missing one of my big wishlist items which is being able to toggle between single and stackable pedestals when dragging a conveyor belt. I hate the tedium in going back and forth aligning stackables

Steam ID
  • Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Curious if Update 5 is mostly cosmetic and QoL changes.

Curious if Update 5 is mostly cosmetic and QoL changes.

Thats what everything has indicated so far, there haven't been any hints of a new tier and the only real change to the way factories work is the train changes

2x39jD4.jpg
  • PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    The snapping changes and complex clearance sound pretty nice.

Think I'll wait until Update 5 is is stable before I start my mega-oil factory.

• webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    They have to be approaching feature complete at this point. I have a feeling all this QOL stuff is them wanting to give the community the things they want while they work on the final tier and balancing, since I bet those can be worked on completely independent of each other. I hope update 6 is the last one before final beta. I guess there is the big plateau in the desert and stuff that is till getting a re-work.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
    Do we know for certain that there will be another tier? Obviously there's gonna be something that uses the WIP items, but it could just as well be MAM research.

• webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    I'm betting there will be a final tier and one more space elevator load out. At least, I'm hoping there is an endgame.

I believe they said Tier 9 is the last tier. It'll probably be the tier where we build Quantum Computers and Superposition Oscilators, to make teleporters and dimensional storage crates and crap like that.

I do hope they figure out how to give us a 1200 item belt in that tier so we can fully utilize pure nodes.

They also need to implement signs. They've said in the past that they don't want to just do simple sign, so it's taking longer than you'd expect to implement. I could see them sneaking it into Update 5, which would be a nice surprise.

S.A.M. Ore, Somersloops and Mercer Spheres are supposed to be part of the storyline

I'm guessing Update 6 will be Tier 9 + some map changes, Update 7 will be the final polish for the non-story content, and any remaining map changes, and Update 8 will be the release candidate build with the story stuff, though I wouldn't be surprised if it's not actually called Update 8.

Calling it now, it'll leave early access in 2023.

• MysstMysst King Monkey of Hedonism IslandRegistered User regular
    Gimme a holosign

ikbUJdU.jpg
    I just realized with this new kit you could put conveyer and pipe inputs on the upper part of a refinery and save a ton of room.

• MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    I haven't really played since last holiday season and when I briefly logged in after the last update my factory was all weird and untextured, I might just start over with Update 5.

Also I really don't want to redo my train lines right now.

There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    Current possible builds in my world:

Super computer & Radio Control factory
    Refurbished Plastics and Rubber factory
    Motor factory (Needs RCUs to become a Turbo motor factory)
    Battery factory (Needs plastic input, but could be done now and easy to sort once the plastics factory is redone)
    Nuclear power plant.

...Needless to say, i've picked the most complicated option: Nuclear Power. Time to make the swamp radioactive!

Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
    Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
    Switch: 0293 6817 9891
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cNBKEaJMLyM

Update 5 coming Tuesday (Wensday i guess for us superior future people) next week to Experimental. They'll be doing a livestream of all the stuff 2 hours before launch, so uh, watch out for spoilers if you care about spoilers in a game like this?

Dunno if i'll hop across to it, given it'd break my mods pretty hard and i'm using some cosmetic mods, which i'd assume would involve an awful lot of buildings vanishing into the aether. also no SMART mod (Zooping is not a replacement for SMART).

Still! Keen to see what's commin'

• ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    zooping miiiiight be enough of a QoL improvement for me to jump back in without mods, but probably not

I think I still don't quite understand how pipes work. I had a setup where I was running a main water pipe to coal power plants and feeding additional pipes into it along the way. It only ever really worked if I fed in more water than should be strictly necessary.

I re-did all those pipes to instead be a bunch of completely separate lines (3 water extractors for 8 coal power plants) and it works perfectly with exact inputs.

Dammit, I thought they were going to stream for two hours today and then reveal the patch, but they're going to wait 4 hours which means I'll need to be heading to work when they drop the video. :razz:

• MysstMysst King Monkey of Hedonism IslandRegistered User regular
    Peewi wrote: »
    I think I still don't quite understand how pipes work. I had a setup where I was running a main water pipe to coal power plants and feeding additional pipes into it along the way. It only ever really worked if I fed in more water than should be strictly necessary.

I re-did all those pipes to instead be a bunch of completely separate lines (3 water extractors for 8 coal power plants) and it works perfectly with exact inputs.

Have to see your setup to know for sure, honestly, could be a couple things

ikbUJdU.jpg
    Mysst wrote: »

Have to see your setup to know for sure, honestly, could be a couple things

And you never will because I tore it down and made something that works!

I really thought the update would release 16:00 Europe time, but I guess it's actually 18:00.

edited October 2021
    EDIT: Whoops, it's been so long I forgot it was against the rules, but they just posted a Kickstarter of a third party who is making Lizard Doggo plushes and Xeno-basher replicas.

Undead Scottsman on
    I think the lizard doggo plush looks nice, but it's a bit too expensive for me.

• LuvTheMonkeyLuvTheMonkey High Sierra Serenade Registered User regular
    Oh jesus they added golf

Molten variables hiss and roar. On my mind-forge, I hammer them into the greatsword Epistemology. Many are my foes this night.
    STEAM | GW2: Thalys
    edited October 2021
    SIGNS!

EDIT: Dedicated servers
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nn-1s87JJxc

EDIT2: General update video
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QfaReoks6OM

Peewi on
    Oh wow. Called signs being added, but I'm shocked Dedicated Servers are in now (if exerimental)

One thing that suprised me is them completely revamping the customization system. Looks like there's an ability to swap walls like you would conveyers, the complete removal of the color gun in favor of a customization menu, and you can even paint vehicles now.

So now that Dedicated Servers are a reality, who wants to set one up?

Oh wow. Called signs being added, but I'm shocked Dedicated Servers are in now (if exerimental)

One thing that suprised me is them completely revamping the customization system. Looks like there's an ability to swap walls like you would conveyers, the complete removal of the color gun in favor of a customization menu, and you can even paint vehicles now.

So now that Dedicated Servers are a reality, who wants to set one up?

Thank fuck they are dropping the color gun.

I loaded up my save in U5 and it did that thing where it spawns you in the hub without your inventory and you have to kill your doppelganger to get it back.

Because I was using the hoverpack, my doppelganger is floating up in the air.
    4C738D4B45984F3AD05A3D3A508948991CE09EFB

I loaded up my save in U5 and it did that thing where it spawns you in the hub without your inventory and you have to kill your doppelganger to get it back.

Because I was using the hoverpack, my doppelganger is floating up in the air.
    4C738D4B45984F3AD05A3D3A508948991CE09EFB

Annie get your gun.

Also there's some nice gems in the patch notes
    Added two new variants for the Storage Box
    -Medical Storage Box
    -Hazard Storage Box

Conveyor Lift Floor Holes. Can be snapped to Foundations to allow Conveyor Lifts to pass through them

Pipeline Floor Holes. Can be snapped to Foundations to allow Pipelines to pass through them

Conveyor Lifts now have an alternate build mode titled Reversed which reverses the direction of the belt for the Input/Output

You can now de-select buildings you’ve selected with Mass Dismantling by aiming at the specific building and tapping CTRL

Fixed vehicles disappearing under the world

Vehicles that have disappeared under the world but were still visible on the map have been brought back

Well, one question would be if you had a big enough pipe.

3 water extractors is 360m3 of water a minute - but the default pipes only handle 300m3 a minute max.

The other thing is if you've got correct setup with heights, pumps and valves. I often use Pumps when i'm bringing stuff any real distance as the power cost is minor, and pumps not only stop backflow, they "Push" liquids along. Sounds minor but will save you so much pain.

Liquid is in general a pita in this game though - It's nowhere near as visual as conveyors (So you cant just spot where a jam is like you can with conveyors), it flows in any direction it feels like (Conveyors go exactly where you tell them), and heights are just arse to deal with.

Oh and the game does slightly weird things when you load a save, which can fuck with things even further

Generally the best approach I've found is to figure out how much I need, save make 2~5m3 more than that, which smoothes out any lumps. Trying to achieve perfect efficiency is a bad time, especially in multi fluid recipes (turbofuel being the big culprit)

You also need to be really careful with any water recycling systems - it's often easier to just set a refinery up to make wet concrete, dump the water in there and send the concrete to the grinder.

I just zooped

Steam ID
    I just zooped

This is a 13+ forum!

Update 5 is super cool, but it keeps crashing on me, making it completely unplayable.

• 3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Conveyor Lifts now have an alternate build mode titled Reversed which reverses the direction of the belt for the Input/Output

...what is the use case for this?

3cl1ps3 wrote: »

I think it could be useful for cases where you build the conveyor lift first and the belts second

2x39jD4.jpg
  • hatedinamericahatedinamerica Registered User regular
    Kwoaru wrote: »
    3cl1ps3 wrote: »

I think it could be useful for cases where you build the conveyor lift first and the belts second

I just bumped up against this other day.

Was trying to splice some wonky shit into a tight space and had to build the lift first, but it was always going the wrong direction with no starting belt to guide it.

First time I'd ever seen that, but it was pretty annoying.

edited October 2021
    Update 5 is super cool, but it keeps crashing on me, making it completely unplayable.

It was running smooth for me for an hour and now I've crashed 3 times in a matter of minutes, worried I'm in a bad loop

Beef Avenger on
    Steam ID
  • RightfulSinRightfulSin Registered User regular
    I know Update 5 just "came out". But I just had an interesting idea. What if the storage containers were semi modular? Example being what if you could change the locations of the input and outputs? Like, have the input be on one end and then have the output on the left side halfway down. Or have both be on one side.

I think it'd be cool.

"If nothing is impossible, than would it not be impossible to find something that you could not do?" - Me