As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Windows OS] Version 1604 - Dual core Atom: Pass. 8 core Ryzen 1700X: Fail.

• BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    Hum. Well. It seems like Windows has opted me in to having Google Drive installed? I did not have it installed, and now after a reboot it is installed, dated today, through no action of my own. Is that a Microsoft thing or do I have malware?

BahamutZERO.gif
  • GilgaronGilgaron Registered User regular
    Hum. Well. It seems like Windows has opted me in to having Google Drive installed? I did not have it installed, and now after a reboot it is installed, dated today, through no action of my own. Is that a Microsoft thing or do I have malware?

Are you sure you didn't have Google drive installed but perhaps not running? It just did an update this week with some changes to the UI and maps Drive to a Windows lettered drive, which is new behavior.

edited September 2021
    maybe, the add/remove programs window claimed it was installed today though, and it was not set to start on boot before to the point I forgot I had it if I did.

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Ear3nd1lEar3nd1l Eärendil the Mariner, father of Elrond Registered User regular
    Man, I'm glad I opted for the 8xxx series when I built this machine.

• TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    maybe, the add/remove programs window claimed it was installed today though, and it was not set to start on boot before to the point I forgot I had it if I did.

there was an update recently where Google Drive automatically installed itself over the old app which was called Google Backup And Sync, which is probably what you had installed

Ah ok, that could be it

BahamutZERO.gif
  • wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    So. Windows 11 is technically out now.

there are a few PC models on store shelves that have it. You *might* get it if you check windows update, but Microsoft says it'll be mid 2022 before all eligible Windows 10 PC's get upgraded automatically.

The most underwhelming Windows version launch ever.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    Hopefully this one is less aggressive about trying to get you to upgrade. I don't see any point yet.

• V1mV1m Registered User regular
    Short of sending a guy round to shoot your dog, it could hardly be more aggressive.

• ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    V1m wrote: »
    Short of sending a guy round to shoot your dog, it could hardly be more aggressive.

Pretty sure the cops are still on 7.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    way to produce a ton of e-waste and even more demand for non-existing hardware during a shortage, microsoft

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • ManetherenWolfManetherenWolf Registered User regular
    I’m running into the TPM issue on my new PC

Trying to activate fTPM on my asrock MB and it still isn’t showing anything. I think I’m gonna have to bios update or something.

Ugh

way to produce a ton of e-waste and even more demand for non-existing hardware during a shortage, microsoft

Don't upgrade. This isn't a real problem.

• autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    Shadowfire wrote: »

Don't upgrade. This isn't a real problem.

I won't, but a ton of still good hardware just became "obsolete"

Well I might upgrade, to fully using Linux

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
    It's not obsolete for another four years which... yeah, if you bought it long enough ago that it doesn't support TPM, then that's about right.

For those of us who tinker with our computers everything is just fine. Anyone buying OEM machines in the last couple years will support Windows 11. Anything older means I don't have to support ancient crap with the new version. Because holy shit was it annoying arguing with people about why their computers really can't handle Windows 10, then getting shouted down and doing it anyway.

• jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular

Trying to activate fTPM on my asrock MB and it still isn’t showing anything. I think I’m gonna have to bios update or something.

Ugh

What mobo do you have?

• jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    edited October 2021
    Switching from dev branch to mainstream Win 11 required a complete reinstall of Windows, which entailed

Installing Windows
    Installing Steam and redirecting it to the already existing Steam Folders
    Installing Music Bee and iTunes and redirecting them to the already existing music folder
    Getting my password manager browser extension
    Downloading G Hub and GE Force.
    Moving the documents folder from the .old folder and then deleting it, which was a solid 120 gigabytes.

This shit ain't shit anymore.

jungleroomx on
  • FremFrem Registered User regular
    edited October 2021
    It's not obsolete for another four years which... yeah, if you bought it long enough ago that it doesn't support TPM, then that's about right.

For those of us who tinker with our computers everything is just fine. Anyone buying OEM machines in the last couple years will support Windows 11. Anything older means I don't have to support ancient crap with the new version. Because holy shit was it annoying arguing with people about why their computers really can't handle Windows 10, then getting shouted down and doing it anyway.

The CPU requirement is going to hit a lot more people than the TPM requirement. The (admittedly elderly) 7th-gen intel CPUs are unsupported despite only being discontinued last year.

Ars Technica had a pretty through rundown of the uneven system requirements, and the list of supported CPUs don't make much sense. There isn't a clear technical rationale for the supported chipsets.

Edit: The tiny Surface Go that I purchased less than two years ago is incompatible due to the unsupported Intel Pentium Gold 4415Y SoC. Even Microsoft's own products weren't spared.

Frem on
  • ManetherenWolfManetherenWolf Registered User regular

Ugh

What mobo do you have?

Asrock B550 Pro w/ a Ryzen 5 3600

Based on what I’ve read it should be good.

Frem wrote: »

The CPU requirement is going to hit a lot more people than the TPM requirement. The (admittedly elderly) 7th-gen intel CPUs are unsupported despite only being discontinued last year.

Ars Technica had a pretty through rundown of the uneven system requirements, and the list of supported CPUs don't make much sense. There isn't a clear technical rationale for the supported chipsets.

Edit: The tiny Surface Go that I purchased less than two years ago is incompatible due to the unsupported Intel Pentium Gold 4415Y SoC. Even Microsoft's own products weren't spared.

It's complete bs. Microsoft allows "some" 7th gen CPUs, namely those in their own devices, but not others.

And at that point, this is just an arbitrary cut-off, probably to boost pc hardware sales, and not a necessity.

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • iTunesIsEviliTunesIsEvil Cornfield? Cornfield.Registered User regular
    I did a clean W11 install on my home PC last night. So far nearly everything's been fine. The only two issues I've run into are:
    - the right-click menus are either really laggy or something's up with my mouse in W11
    - related to right-click, something is making 7zip unhappy. I'm not sure if it's because to get to it you've got to go into that "Show more options" menu-item or what. It threw two RPC errors last night (or Windows did, I guess, 'cause Explorer crashed) while pulling files out of a zip archive.

Not sure if I wanna embrace the centered taskbar items, or flip them back to being left aligned. I have this weird reluctance to switch away from new UI stuff without giving it a "fair" shake. I think it stems from watching a co-worker set every Start menu on every XP/Server '03 machine he touched back to the Win 2k Start menu style. :P

Frem wrote: »

I agree with the system requirements being arbitrary, especially on the CPU side. Especially after Microsoft literally added the exact 7th gen CPU in the Surface Studio to the list of compaitlbe processors becuase, you know, that's a $3500 computer they literally still sell today.

But a counter argument is that a 7700k released in january 2017. by the time Windows 10 leaves support, that processor will be almost 9 years old. And it's not like Windows 11 coming out this week means Windows 10 sops working.

This is something where i absolutely see both sides. the CPU requirements are 100% arbitrary, but while long term compatibility is on of Windows best things, it's also one of the worst weaknesses. Sure, it's great that there's a > 50% chance some random software you bought in 1998 will still work on Windows 10. But what has maintaining that long line of compatibility cost Microsoft in terms of time, resources, and overall development of Windows?

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar

Ugh

What mobo do you have?

Asrock B550 Pro w/ a Ryzen 5 3600

Based on what I’ve read it should be good.

So if you go to CPU Config and down to AMD fTPM Switch, does it say AMD fTPM CPU?

• a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    If you install the latest Asrock BIOS for B550 it will default to the settings you need for Windows 11. https://www.asrock.com/mb/AMD/B550 Pro4/index.asp#BIOS

edited October 2021
    Also, in the Windows System Information application, check your BIOS MODE to see if it's UEFI or Legacy. Or, you can check your OS drive in Partition Manager by right clicking the Disk partition display at the bottom and going to PROPERTIES > VOLUMES and seeing if your partition style is GPT.

I want to say there's a utility to get your BIOS MODE to UEFI from Legacy, but going from an MBR to a GPT is a reformat. Someone can sanity check that for me.

jungleroomx on
  • MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    I'm going to be a dick about this. If you have a mobo that is newer than ~5 yes old, you should check for and update the bios at least every 6 mos.

BIOS chips are much more resistant to bricking and OEMs are doing a better job of keeping them updated.

Doubly so if you're using a 3xxx or 5xxx Ryzen on an older gen chipset.

Please bring on the anecdotes.

• useruser Registered User regular
    edited October 2021
    Mugsley wrote: »
    I'm going to be a dick about this. If you have a mobo that is newer than ~5 yes old, you should check for and update the bios at least every 6 mos.

BIOS chips are much more resistant to bricking and OEMs are doing a better job of keeping them updated.

Dude I would love, love, if EVGA updated the BIOS for my x570 Aorus Master that often. I am still getting the USB disconnect bug, and I check their website damn near every week.

It is frustrating using my super expensive desktop, for product tasks or even gaming and whoopsy doodle, no user input for that half second.

user on

In my case, MSI hasn't released anything since June 2020.

I was going to agree with you because my Gigabyte motherboard was the same, but now I see they put an update out on 1 October. :rotate:

• MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular

That's odd. My B450 Tomahawk Max got an update in Aug

You know, it's been so long since I've been a BIOS update that, reading through the info, I understand why no one does it. I don't even want to bother now. It's only like four steps, but between each step is "caution, doing this wrong will brick your motherboard, burn your house down, and kill your second born."

Fuck man, the big Dells and HPs may be overpriced, but at least they make BIOS updates simple.

That's odd. My B450 Tomahawk Max got an update in Aug

They put out a beta in April but before that was June 2020.

I have a Pro VDH so the shit is the definition of barebones.

• IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    I'm sure it's a settings thing or something but it was extremely hilarious this morning when I got the following info in my windows update queue:

"This PC doesn't currently meet all the system requirements for Windows 11"

I bought this machine earlier this year. It's not the highest possible specs but it's a pretty damn high medium.

Incenjucar wrote: »
    I'm sure it's a settings thing or something but it was extremely hilarious this morning when I got the following info in my windows update queue:

I bought this machine earlier this year. It's not the highest possible specs but it's a pretty damn high medium.

Probably TPM turned off, especially if it's a custom/home built computer.

• XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    edited October 2021
    Yeah, their shitastic checker doesn't tell you why even if it's something stupid like that.

I wonder how many people are going to buy new PC's because Microsoft couldn't report it's findings.

Xeddicus on
  • IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    wunderbar wrote: »

I bought it pre-built from iBuyPower, but yeah. Friggin' lawl.

They're not a hallmark of quality. I'm sure they just don't enable tpm as part of their builds in general though.

• LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    Also, don't upgrade yet if you're on ryzen.

edited October 2021

They're not a hallmark of quality. I'm sure they just don't enable tpm as part of their builds in general though.

They're actually better than most of the big name OEMs these days. I'd trust an IBP build over a Dell or HP.

jungleroomx on
    Dell has completely gone to shit. HP is bad, but Dell is basically "so bad it's seriously comical"-bad

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg