As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Tell Me About Your Dream Game

JuggernutJuggernut Registered User regular
edited October 2021 in Social Entropy++
I am bored at work and looking for ways to pass the time. One of the things I'll sometimes think about (instead of bettering myself by learning a new language or educating myself on the pressing issues of our day) is if I owned a video game company what kind of game would I make?

So I am interested in hearing about what other people would want from a video game if they could make it themselves.

Heres an idea I've been kicking around: A massive open world, fantasy RPG where you aren't any kind of special person, you just wash up on a shore one day and from there you gotta figure it out. The big emphasis would be on natural exploration. A minimal hud, no real mini map and having to rely on hints, landmarks and directions to places gleaned from local chatter or rumors. It's something some games have touched on but I'd like to see it really leaned into. The only map you get is one you fill in yourself by exploring and you have to take out and look at to orient yourself. You can scribble in markers for yourself if you come across something and need to remember it. Otherwise, finding off the beaten path locations requires you to ask around, look for clues or stumble on it yourself.

The other big focus would be on indepth inventory management. You're just some random joe humping it across Fantasy Land. You need to equip rucksacks or satchels with realistic weight limits and space, meaning whatever you set out with is what you can carry on your back and in your pack. Pouches and pockets would come into play for smaller items, and bandoliers for some other things. Basically a big like, 20 or 30 point attachment system for your character where you can pick where to stow or hang things. Certain clothing options would allow for more inventory space but reduces your armor, whereas going out in full plate makes you tougher but less nimble and allows for fewer attachment points to carry gear.

You get the ability to bundle up loot (up to a point) like weapons or armor that you can pick up and carry over your shoulder ala Death Stranding, though not as absurd with 20 foot tall stacks of knick knacks. If you get jumped on the way you can release it and start fighting, then pick it back up when your done. If you really want to load up on loot you could get a horse and cart but then you'd be much more limited in your ability to cross open country and would need to stick more to roads. It would be cool to also have a kind of Metro: Exodus style interactive pack where you have to actually dig around in your kit and select what you need.

This would make dungeon crawling and exploration a lot more strategic and methodical. Say you come across a neat cave, but you're already packed out with gear, so you'll need to make a note of it and come back later when you have space after stopping at your home or camp. That way you're not just hitting up every cave or bandit camp you come across, clearing out map markers and looting hundreds of items until you hit an arbitrary weight number. You could also create stashes or troves throughout the world if you come across something you have to have but you'd need to drop something else to take it. Find a reasonable landmark, mark it on your map and then come back for it later when you can.

There'd also be a RDR2 style survival element. I like the idea of having to prep and take provisions if you're going out to explore but I also don't like it to be so punishing that finding yourself stranded without a rabbit leg or a mushroom or whatever means you're going to die. Maybe have the scale be adjustable from "hardcore" to "survival lite" so you still get the effect of having to plan your trips and balance your inventory without getting punished for overshooting your supplies.

Combat would be fairly standard but I've been trying to come up with a sort of "stance" mechanic that creates subtypes of combat within each kind of weapon. So instead of increasing a generic long sword skill you would pick a long sword and then pick a stance to level and master. Each stance would have different perks or strengths and weaknesses. Seems like a cool way to personalize combat even more and allow for more branching gameplay and replayability beyond "pick a axe guy this time."

As for the world I dunno, haven't thought that one out too much. I figure it'd be you fairly typical medieval fantasy world with monsters and such, maybe some vague political tensions and warring kingdoms you can get involved with if you so choose. Or fuck off and just play the absurdly in depth and meticulously designed fishing and accompanying fish cleaning and cooking mini game. Create little fish traps, use a net, use a spear, get on a boat and go out and catch bigger river fish. Then bring em back and de-scale, gut and roast them over a happy little fire. Go gather herbs and roots and spend hours chopping them up and making various dishes and stews to eat on the road. Alchemy would be an involved process where you have to actually grind and brew and bottle things.

The overall goal would be to make a massive and dense world where you're not radically re-shaping it. You exist there and you do things but the impact you have is much smaller in the grand scheme of things. However, the actions you do take would feel more meaningful.

Anyway, that's what I'm pondering tonight.

Juggernut on

• ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    Netrunner RPG with card game mechanics, a lot of cute outfits to purchase, home upgrades and furniture and options to romance many AIs.

• JuggernutJuggernut Registered User regular
    Like Harvest Moon meets Gwent meets The Matrix?

• ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    Exactly.

Also there's a corporation version of the game where it's a business sim mix with Reigns and you build your corp deck up that way, I dunno, I'm an ideas guy, the other developers can work that side out.

• XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    mine would be final fantasy tactics but with a robust crafting system and current generation graphics

• DepressperadoDepressperado I just wanted to see you laughing in the pizza rainRegistered User regular
    the Matrix but I know it's the Matrix

• PlatyPlaty Registered User regular
    edited October 2021
    Ogre Battle remakes with mouse controls

Platy on
  • DepressperadoDepressperado I just wanted to see you laughing in the pizza rainRegistered User regular
    Platy wrote: »
    Ogre Battle remakes with mouse controls

shit can I change my answer

• JarsJars Registered User regular
    I want to play a fps where instead of regular guns I have a spellgun that I load with special spell cartridges that shoot fireballs and lightning and acid gouts and shit and the reload time will be really slow but it will have a sick ass animation where you slot special alchemical ammunition in your spellgun

also you can kick people. so like you load a freeze cartridge into your spellgun and freeze some goon then shatter his ass with your boot. or you paralyze a goon with your shock spell and kick him off a cliff

I call it 'Kickmage"

The Outlaw Star magic gun mechanic could be pretty sweet, yeah. It's not just a gun to kill enemies but you could also solve environmental puzzles with it.

Jars wrote: »
    I want to play a fps where instead of regular guns I have a spellgun that I load with special spell cartridges that shoot fireballs and lightning and acid gouts and shit and the reload time will be really slow but it will have a sick ass animation where you slot special alchemical ammunition in your spellgun

also you can kick people. so like you load a freeze cartridge into your spellgun and freeze some goon then shatter his ass with your boot. or you paralyze a goon with your shock spell and kick him off a cliff

I call it 'Kickmage"

@Jars

https://youtu.be/ldtX4d5qanA

Dwarf Fortress except with like, dope graphics and stuff

all the art on the walls would be procedurally generated to match the ridiculous descriptions

• discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    hackmud
    Didn't expect the answer to 'how do I stop people hacking my hacking game' to be 'ask them nicely' though.

• astrobstrdastrobstrd So full of mercy... Registered User regular
    A slasher movie game that leans into the fun DIY behind the scenes stuff of friends making the movie.

You can play a pre-loaded movie or franchise or go into a map editor/download creator maps for movies.

You start as the slasher and pick off the victims one by one. Different styles of killer reward different play styles (thinking of how of the Dead by Daylight killers play out differently), but the victims are AI and follow a loose pattern of behaviors. Certain areas and weapons will be marked on a timer and your kills contribute to a combo score.

When one character remains the perspective shifts to the "final" character (and from third person to first person) and you try to create a tense final chase. Points are scored for survival, but keeping it close and thrilling through set pieces that increase in difficulty is the meat of the system (think longer grinds in Tony Hawk).

Loading screen and menu stuff is all cartoon style BTS footage of the cast and crews setting shots and after parties.

Selling the Scream Podcast: https://anchor.fm/jeremy-donaldson
  • MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Fantasy Life but super robust Life choices and specialized crafting mechanics so it's not all similar to each other while keeping the jokey writing that sometimes gets semi serious.

• cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    Terminator: Isolation. Set in the 80s era of T1. Start out with nothing, find Sarah Conner, survive.

(Alternatively, a Mage: The Awakening RPG a la Bloodlines.)

wVEsyIc.png
  • UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    Sid Meier's Pirates! with turn-based tactical boarding actions, light RPG mechanics for your crew that allow them to have unique traits and improve over time

and then a sci-fi sequel that is the same but with Escape Velocity: Nova as the inspiration

• ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    I have two:

-- Final Fantasy Tactics but with superheroes (either DC or Marvel)

or

-- A MacGyver SCUMM/LucasArts point-and-click adventure game

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • DeansDeans Registered User regular
    A Tekken or Soul Calibur with good netcode and UX.

• PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    I dunno they already made Fire Emblem 3 Houses. Just, like, erase me playing that one from my memory I guess.

I was a little too young to play any point and clicks but I very much like the idea of them and would like for them to make a come back. They seem very relaxing.

• ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    Juggernut wrote: »
    I was a little too young to play any point and clicks but I very much like the idea of them and would like for them to make a come back. They seem very relaxing.

I've been playing through Call of the Sea, which is an exploration/puzzle game in the style of Myst.

If you're looking for a relaxing puzzle game, it scratches that itch particularly well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6lq25iJbmMY

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    Finally.

I have been waiting for this moment for a lifetime.

I’ll do it later.

Zack and Wiki is good too

• MatevMatev Cero Miedo Registered User regular
    I've got several ideas, but the one I've actually written down/developed the most was Celestia: Symphony of the Spheres. A sci-fantasy MMO where you play one of several peoples exploring among the stars, joining one of several factions or star empires, and clawing and scrapping your way up to running the show, with the MMO and dungeon-crawling shifting more to RTS and Empire Management style gameplay as you move into leadership positions of your faction. But you have to be careful, as enemies within and without can challenge your authority and remove you from power at any point.

Add in actual one of a kind items, unique exploration, and allowing players almost as much control over the game world as they want. I want an actual living, breathing, virtual world to tell a galaxy of stories.

"Go down, kick ass, and set yourselves up as gods, that's our Prime Directive!"
    Hail Hydra
  • ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    edited October 2021
    Alien vs predator third person open world action game, with 3 campaigns taking place on a relatively large open world map, with gameplay/combat/traversal similar to the nemesis system from the shadow of Mordor games, but with a focus on acquiring territory and pushing opposing factions out, and protecting your own outposts and bases

Endless varieties of unique aliens and predators and marines to fill out your army, and instead of a single character you control the captains at will. With captains you control more getting more and more powerful and having more encounters to flesh out their story and stats

Also third person action, not fps, cos #1, I wanna see the cool character models at all times, and #2, I feel like combat would be more fun as xenomorph and predator if you could see your own character as that would make it easier to have traversal, melee and like stealth kills, making zipping around a forest canopy as the predators, or climbing upside down as the xenomorph, way easier to control .

Essentially the way it would work is a fleet of marines and prisoner ships crash on a planet that the predators use to hunt aliens. And so for the Colonial Marines faction campaign you’re recruiting engineers, prisoners, lost marines from crashed ships into captains to take territory and control points from the predators and aliens, ie clearing out hives and hunting grounds, maybe some story framing it.

With the predator you’re choosing young hunters, having them be promoted through kills and actions, and getting new hunters as they arrive by ship, since the predators can leave any time they want. You establish new hunting grounds, seek out battles and worthy opponent captains and trophies, and the more successful you are the more you attract promising new hunters to land on the planet and join in on the grand hunt

And with the aliens, you’re expanding your hive, acquiring genetic material from the opposing factions to make new unique breeds and unique “captain” xenomorphs with their own abilities, scars, missing limbs, etc. killing enemies gets certain stats for individual captains, but you strengthen the hive if you bring back better quarry to be impregnated by your queen

You’d also have fodder enemies the way the shadow of Mordor games have fodder orcs, which can be promoted into named captains if they get a kill. So basic runner xenomorphs, low ranking soldiers, prisoners or civilian engineers for the marines faction, and untested juvenile predators who are on their first hunt, with very little armour or weaponry.

Humans would have lots of tech support, loaders, apcs, air support, drones, they could also set traps for predators and aliens. Predators would have their tech and like hunting animals. And xenomorphs would have fodder drones and facehugger variants, as well as the ability to like dig underground to escape encounters or set ambushes.

Essentially I just want the nemesis system in more games, and I want a god damn aliens and predator game that isn’t in first person ffs.

But this setting would be my dream game because just imagining all the potential varieties of predators, xenomorphs and colonial marines would be my heaven. The abilities write themselves for each faction. And imagining all the armour, weaponry, xenomorph types, *chefs kiss*

The idea being you take over the region and like gain a central point, facilitating an evacuation for humans, a successful cleansing hunt for predators, and complete assimilation of all species for the xenomorphs.

The nemesis system with like predators respecting humans that survive a battle to them, or like making armour out of a xenomorph you kill, the amount of encounters, scars, scenarios, fun to think about

Now I’ve made myself sad like I always do when I think about this, cos it will just never happen

Prohass on
  • WearingglassesWearingglasses Of the friendly neighborhood variety Registered User regular
    I've been envisioning a new Street Fighter with the Alpha anime style, but done with Guilty Gear's 3d tech.

Then make it an SF invitationals, with a shit ton of DLC guest characters - make it the Smash of SF style fighting games.

• I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    what if dark souls was a heist

liEt3nH.png
    Cop 1 shots you

YOU DIED

• GrisloGrislo Registered User regular
    Okay, so:

There's a gang.

They have daggers.

This post was sponsored by Tom Cruise.
  • GrisloGrislo Registered User regular
    Juggernut, have you played Outward? It's got a fair bit of what you want, but also a fair bit of jank (or 'charm', for those who end up liking it).

This post was sponsored by Tom Cruise.
  • #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    Ok so... I want a game set in the SCP universe.

It's a single player episodic action game with an open world but a collection of different characters you can switch between, kind of like GTA5.

You play as a D Class who is confined to a single testing and storage site, who is given different duties maintaining or testing SCPS

You play as a member of a Mobile Task Force, tracking, retrieving and securing new or escaped SCPs

You play as a junior researcher interviewing, testing and logging SCPs

and you play as a couple of different humanoid SCPs themselves, with different abilities, pre containment and during containment and testing

And who would have known you all have to team up to prevent an XK End of the World Scenario.

Also I want a game that's basically GTA Online only single player with APB's customization.

• ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    I think my perfect game would be a Diablo -like game (like Torchlight and or the Marvel Ultimate Alliance games), but without class restrictions. Sort of like Diablo I. And maybe like how New World does? I haven't actually played it so I dunno for sure. But basically you have three primary Attributes that each help fuel the primary and secondary benefits of one or more of a number of advancement tracks. Sort of like how most powers in World of Darkness games work, maybe some sort of ability to choose a small benefit based on something like origin or background or whatever.

Also it must have local co-op. My wife and I want to be able to play together.

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • ElaroElaro Apologetic Registered User regular
    I want a Third-Person Brawler-Shooter à la Space Marine but you can command troops à la Brütal Legend, except you start the match with all your troops already set, and each unit either starts on the map or they're summonable during the match.

And it's set in Warhammer 40K.

Children's rights are human rights.
  • ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    edited October 2021
    Also just in general I want one time for one of those games that deals with the supernatural Good vs Evil stuff to flip the script and make it truly about good vs evil. Most media examples of an "angels vs demons" type supernatural war will almost always end up actually making it law vs chaos. The OG Charmed is an amazing example, but the Buffy is pretty good as well. In both cases the protagonists are special basically because they're Neutral and/or Chaotic Good, as opposed to the supernatural protagonist faction being more Lawful Neutral to Neutral Good, with occasions toward Lawful Evil. By contrast, most of the bad guys are really just chaotic neutral. Most of them are just supernatural jackasses who, yeah they'll cause some trouble and maybe you need some sort of supernatural police, but like real world police the solution is NOT to just label them all irredeemably evil lesser beings. There's usually a Chaotic Evil big bad, but there's very often a lot more Chaotic Neutral, but there will be a plot twist at one point when it's revealed there's a small faction of Lawful Evil baddies who are pooling their resources to be a bigger threat!

Anyway what I want is Asmodeus of the Nine Hells as the series big bad. If not literally than structurally. I want bad guys who are mostly Lawful Evil with the occasional Neutral Evil and maybe a plot twist of a random Lawful Neutral baddie. By contrast, I want the overwhelming majority of the angels to be Chaotic Good, with a token Chaotic Neutral angel and maybe a triumvirate type situation of a Lawful Good angel and a pair of Neutral Good angels. But I want the overall supernatural background theme to be fundamentally about independent powers of good coming together to confront and topple a hugely organized and thereby force multiplied evil empire. And if you do it via supernatural means you don't have to worry about what comes after Happily Ever After because it's the supernatural so you can just handwave and say they abandoned anything resembling human politics and infighting afterward to forever maintain the peace.

I've craved for something like that for a long time. Sorry that was probably reallllly rambly.

Tox on
    Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    edited October 2021
    Okay, while my fiancée is trying on cute summer dresses.

I want a metahuman game.

Sort of a GTA open world, with many factions and power players to ally with, confront, or compete with.

But you build a character like City of Heroes.

Extremely customizable power sets, point-based market for purchasing your starting power set, which you can then develop as the game progresses.

Wanna be a villain? Go nuts. Rob banks, challenge gang leaders and other meta humans in the underworld. Get yourself a nemesis and mess with him for giggles. Clown the cops and execute your master plan to take over the city.

Wanna be a hero? Nice! Get the key to the city, be best buds with the commissioner, run your operation out of your apartment like a friendly neighborhood Arachno-Man, out of the sewers like some Adolescent Morphed Shinobi Amphibians, or from a sprawling cave outside the city like some manner of Winged-Mammalian Man.

Want to be a lone wolf anti-hero grim dark douche bag? Douche it up, friendo! Go it alone, delivering justice, vengeance, or mayhem on whomever you see fit. Be careful, though! If the whole city hates and mistrusts you, you may have trouble getting things done!

The hardest part of this really flexible system is figuring out various end-game scenarios, especially for characters that are in the grey zone between Hero and Villain, but this is the game I wanted from Infamous and the other late 2000s “hero” games, but I hated being the character they picked for me.

sarukun on
  • PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    Okay I changed my mind.

I want Jake Solomon and Mark Nauta to team up to make an X-Com clone using the Warhammer IP (fantasy or space, idgaf). But I want procedurally-generated maps and some kind of rogue-like mode, and points-based PvP, also on procedurally-generated maps.

• Dee KaeDee Kae Registered User regular
    Phantasy Star Online remastered.

i am a simple man, with humble tastes.

• ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    edited October 2021
    sarukun wrote: »
    Okay, while my fiancée is trying on cute summer dresses.

I want a metahuman game.

Sort of a GTA open world, with many factions and power players to ally with, confront, or compete with.

But you build a character like City of Heroes.

Extremely customizable power sets, point-based market for purchasing your starting power set, which you can then develop as the game progresses.

Wanna be a villain? Go nuts. Rob banks, challenge gang leaders and other meta humans in the underworld. Get yourself a nemesis and mess with him for giggles. Clown the cops and execute your master plan to take over the city.

Wanna be a hero? Nice! Get the key to the city, be best buds with the commissioner, run your operation out of your apartment like a friendly neighborhood Arachno-Man, out of the sewers like some Adolescent Morphed Shinobi Amphibians, or from a sprawling cave outside the city like some manner of Winged-Mammalian Man.

Want to be a lone wolf anti-hero grim dark douche bag? Douche it up, friendo! Go it alone, delivering justice, vengeance, or mayhem on whomever you see fit. Be careful, though! If the whole city hates and mistrusts you, you may have trouble getting things done!

The hardest part of this really flexible system is figuring out various end-game scenarios, especially for characters that are in the grey zone between Hero and Villain, but this is the game I wanted from Infamous and the other late 2000s “hero” games, but I hated being the character they picked for me.

People always say that a game like this doesn’t exist because companies are worried about being sued by marvel or dc but I’m like come on, it’s so obviously a good idea, cmon!

Prohass on
  • Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    edited October 2021
    DEGENESIS: Rebirth is TTRPG that focuses on Europe and the Mediterranean basin in the 26th century following the impact of deadly meteors around the world and the collapse of human civilization

3gxd84mrr6tx.jpg

but it's important to stress that this game isn't so much your standard fair post-apocalyptic hellscape - because the apocalypse is still happening

a deadly substance dubbed The Primer started leaking out of those meteors and changing life on earth - think Tiberium from Command and Conquer. Fields of deadly spores spread from the impact creators to choke all life and change the genetic and psychic makeup of the progeny of its hosts, giving birth to horrifying races of post-human predators that can command insects, cephalopods, and vermin of all kind: the Homo-Degenesis

CqQxRBv.jpeg

the world itself is pretty interesting too - Europe is rubble, split by differing factions called Cults like the Spitalians, warrior-immunologists who have sprung from the remnants of the socialized healthcare apparatus of the EU and who are actively trying to fight back the spores but who by nature of their purity-seeking and dedication to exterminating vectors of infection flirt too close to comfort with fascist tactics, the techbro Chroniclers who are trying to bring back the internet to save humanity but aren't afraid to use people's superstitions and fears in order to do so, or the faithful Jehammedans who are essentially the Israelite tribes of the Old Testament revived by faith of a Messiah that appeared to lead them during humanity's end times

6cIXYgC.jpg

but Europe isn't the sole focus of the setting - Africa is the hegemon. Benefiting from relatively minor meteor impacts, beneficial climate change which increased arable land and the end of exploitative global economics, Africa has united and blossomed in the ensuing centuries. Though the diverse tribes and cultural traditions are still very much present, the Cults which interact with Europe are the mercantile Neo-Libyans, the martial Scourges and the spiritual healers of the Anubians

61vwr8797jdd.jpg

now, it may seem like I'm full of nothing but praises for this setting; I do think it does a bunch of very interesting things and presents plenty of fresh and engaging ideas. But it is also very, very, very clearly made by a bunch of white European men with centrist politics who, despite seeming to try their best, do fall into the general pitfalls of their ilk - lack of introspection, both side-ism, edginess for the sake of titillation without critical thought, etc. There are some issues here, ya'll, which I won't go into because I am supposedly trying to sell this setting as something I would like to make a game in - specifically because I want to have these issues addressed, because I want to take an honest and progressive lens to some of the stuff they decided to include in their world, because I think there are stories here worth telling and lessons here worth sharing; and the creators, despite their worldbuilding abilities, simply aren't up to that task themselves. The less you know about the plots and narrative choices they went with for their Adventure supplementals, the better.

pe350xgen08b.jpg

So I want to Mass Effect 2 this shit. Have your boss/party members be a wealthy Neo-Libyan who decided to hire you to explore a dangerous European debris field, have a companion who's an engineer trying to redeem herself before her tribe members; join up with a Spitalian who feels uncomfortable with the methods their more zealous Cult members are taking and get them to argue with a Paler, fresh from the vaults where she lived all her life and following the footsteps of the Gods which stepped out of cryo-sleep to lead the world to a new dawn. Let me grab this universe with my teeth and not let go until I can make it sing.

jsje48r1mjkh.png

Indie Winter on
    wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    edited October 2021
    double post

Indie Winter on
    wY6K6Jb.gif