As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Slay the Spire] Silently Watching the Defective Ironclad Heart.

• TarantioTarantio Registered User regular
    The two extra cards per turn from Snecko Eye does a great deal to offset the variance that comes from randomized costs.

It also helps that each class has very strong uncommon 2 cost defensive cards, so they'll be good with Snecko Eye but also just generally good.

Snecko isn't always the right choice, but it's still the strongest relic in the game.

• MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    edited October 2021
    I got a win with the Defect today with a jumbled mess of cards and relics. No synergies at all, just some good cards. The whole thing was sort of a train wreck as I limped into the fight with 26hp against The Champ at the end of Act 2. Having no way to buff my stats, my entire gameplan rotated around having a bunch of Orb slots from Capacitor+ (6 in total) and whittling things down with 3 damage Lightning and 2 block Ice.

That's all fine and well for hallway fights, but against a 400+ HP monster that hits like a truck at 50% life? That wasn't going to cut it. Thankfully I had a Power potion and it scored me an Echo Form. Ok, maybe I can make something happen here. Doubled my Capacitor to give me 9 Orb slots, but I'm still just tickling him. My concern was how I'd survive the huge attacks he'd do after his 50% life buff. Thankfully my single copy of Buffer+ gave me 4 turns of protection and I barely managed to burn him down.

My rewards included an Echo Form and I picked up a second Buffer+ just before the Shapes for a whopping 8 turns of protection. Same strat worked and I was off to the races.

Pretty crazy how a junk run can pull together if you find just one card/relic. Plus I got really lucky, so there's that too. :)

MNC Dover on
    Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    If you ever want to know how bad my short term memory is, just give me a pen nib and echo form.

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
    Ok, looking for some advice with Ironclad. I’m at 50% WR with the other 3 characters, but an awful 14-39 with him. Most of the deaths are on the first act.

My plan usually focuses on getting 2-3 damage cards and trying to tackle 2-3 Elites in Act 1. I prioritize upgrading Bash first from my opening cards (unless something else presents itself) and removing Strikes.

I know every run is different and things change drastically based on the cards/relics you find, but I feel like I’m doing something wrong to be at such a dismal win rate.

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    MNC Dover wrote: »
    Ok, looking for some advice with Ironclad. I’m at 50% WR with the other 3 characters, but an awful 14-39 with him. Most of the deaths are on the first act.

My plan usually focuses on getting 2-3 damage cards and trying to tackle 2-3 Elites in Act 1. I prioritize upgrading Bash first from my opening cards (unless something else presents itself) and removing Strikes.

I know every run is different and things change drastically based on the cards/relics you find, but I feel like I’m doing something wrong to be at such a dismal win rate.

At a high level that seems like a good overall plan? Be careful removing too many Strikes before you replace them with damage, though, a couple of the Act 1 elites are basically dps races.

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • EtheaEthea Registered User regular
    I have had great success keeping an eye out for any power that interacts with exhaust or status. Exhaust hard counters the sentry fight, and status powers help with 2/3 bosses.

• The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular

Upgrading Bash early can get you through 2/3 elites pretty easily, if hairly. You have HP regen on your artifact. abuse it. YOu really only need one good uncommon damage or even common to start elite killing - 2-3 means you're probably fightging too many normal fights.

Rember you only get 3 easy normal fights in act 1, and after that every fight is drawn from the hard pool, and the hard pool sucks.

Some notable stuff: Firebreathing or Feel No Pain hoses Tri-sentries (Firebreathing also hoses Slime for you). Sword Boomerang + Vulnerable + a str/flex pot will win you an elite fight easily. Anger is really good at early elite fights *unless* you have The Guardian as your boss.

Without knowing what Alevel you're at it's harder to advise - all my advice assumes A20.

Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
    Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
    Switch: 0293 6817 9891
  • joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    Prismatic Shard… stop tempting me…

• NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular

Prismatic Shard is the best way to lose a run, unless you're having fun

or want to juke strength down/focus down on act 4 elites

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    Oh I know, I know

But sometimes you get Reprogram on Watcher or Wave of the Hand on Defect or…

You almost never do, but the idea of the possibility is tantalizing

• The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    Naphtali wrote: »

Prismatic Shard is the best way to lose a run, unless you're having fun

or want to juke strength down/focus down on act 4 elites

Shard remains one i'm kinda mad about, because it's super awkard in it's current implementation (and given the devs have as far as i know moved on to other things, it'll never change).

Given my druthers, i'd like to see it as an act 1 event that offered multiple choices, including taking the shard.

And if you took the shard, you would see 4 card rewards, 1 from each class from then on whenever you saw card rewards (and like wise, shops would show 4 cards). If you had question card, it'd show an additional random card (maybe colorless cards?). Broken Crown? you just don't see one of the classes cards randomly.

Something that actually makes you want to lean into it, and have it have a fun point of diffrence, rather than be "Wanna yeet your run? Gold goes here.".

*grumpy game designer noises*

0mh0cjs5ag2j.jpeg

• VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    edited December 2021
    You ever have so many Innate cards that you couldn't actually draw them all at the start of a room?

Free power from the Codex enabled me to chain powers via Mummified Hand until however many Mind Blasts I managed to draw cost 0 and blasted a target for 56 each.

If anything survived that, Ice Cream ensured I'd be able to do whatever I wanted from then on.

(Daily Run settings were all rare deck, 3x copies of all new cards, and Night Terrors.)

EDIT: Mercifully the Act 3 boss was D&D and not Awakened One.

Vyolynce on
    nedhf8b6a4rj.jpgsig.gif
    AC:NH Chris from Glosta SW-5173-3598-2899 DA-4749-1014-4697 @vyolynce@mastodon.social
  • TynnanTynnan seldom correct, never unsure Registered User regular
    Got my first A20H! Watcher is cheat.

eykgdlg35jw4.jpg

Congrats! Shiny amount of upgrades.

Looks like a pretty standard flurry deck? Though with establishment+ is a shame you didn't find double meditation+ for maximum recursion cheeky

• TynnanTynnan seldom correct, never unsure Registered User regular
    Yeah it was a pretty straightforward flurry deck. Didn't see a single meditation in any card reward or shop, sadly.

I'm currently at A18 with everyone on the iOS version. I'd forgotten just how much harder the standard/elite fights get at this level. Birds taking 4 hits to lose flight is brutal and the Sentinels dropping 3 dizzy cards makes the fight almost unwinnable if you don't kill off one before round 5.

And how come when I take the Red gem boss relic, I always get the birds in the "easy" fights in act 2? :D

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
    Tynnan wrote: »
    Yeah it was a pretty straightforward flurry deck. Didn't see a single meditation in any card reward or shop, sadly.

Honestly, if i could mess with the game some, one of my major balance changes would be upping flurry's base damage... and kicking it straight to rare.

It's just too good/too reliable as a common in my book. It's so reliable it's boring

• VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    Stupid fun in today's Daily.

Unceasing Clashes + Terror just turned things into a fine mist.

nedhf8b6a4rj.jpgsig.gif
    AC:NH Chris from Glosta SW-5173-3598-2899 DA-4749-1014-4697 @vyolynce@mastodon.social
  • kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    Slay the Spire speedrun is happening right now on AGDQ:

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
    What are these glitches?!

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • KupiKupi Registered User regular

From what I caught in passing, it's all rooted in "Sure, let's put our game logic in the UI code. What could go wrong?"

Turns out it lets the player trigger multiple events at the same time, trigger the same event multiple times, or avoid negative consequences because they menued out of the event too fast for the second half of the event to actually play out.

My favorite musical instrument is the air-raid siren.
  • TcheldorTcheldor Registered User regular
    Kupi wrote: »

From what I caught in passing, it's all rooted in "Sure, let's put our game logic in the UI code. What could go wrong?"

Turns out it lets the player trigger multiple events at the same time, trigger the same event multiple times, or avoid negative consequences because they menued out of the event too fast for the second half of the event to actually play out.

Those gosh darn speed runners abusing the poor game.

I"ll have to watch the run later, cause I've been getting back into StS and should be fun to watch.

League of Legends: Sorakanmyworld
    FFXIV: Tchel Fay
    Nintendo ID: Tortalius
    Steam: Tortalius
    Stream: twitch.tv/tortalius
  • M-VickersM-Vickers Registered User regular
    A20 done, with Ironclad.

Fucking finally !

Now to mop up a few last achievements, and I can finally rest…

M-Vickers wrote: »
    A20 done, with Ironclad.

Fucking finally !

A20 heart kills with all classes or it dosent count!

A20 done, with Ironclad.

Fucking finally !

That could theoretically take forever !

• TcheldorTcheldor Registered User regular
    Question: Is the IOS version of the game a competent enough port?

Second Question: Is there anyway to transfer/hack the save of the IOS version to match my PC version?

League of Legends: Sorakanmyworld
    FFXIV: Tchel Fay
    Nintendo ID: Tortalius
    Steam: Tortalius
    Stream: twitch.tv/tortalius
    Tcheldor wrote: »
    Question: Is the IOS version of the game a competent enough port?

Second Question: Is there anyway to transfer/hack the save of the IOS version to match my PC version?

Yes, the iOS port is now current with the PC version of the game. It also controls a lot better now after some updates.

No idea about hacks for iOS devices. I’d guess maybe?

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
    A20 done, with Ironclad.

Fucking finally !

That could theoretically take forever !

If you can beat A20, you can kill the heart.

It requires some adjustment to your tactics (The biggest thing is you need a way to reliably defend yourself on turn 2/3 - This applies to both the Spear and Shield, and the HEart), but it's fully doable.

Some good tricks are saving an Artifact potion for the Heart fight (it'll block the vuln), having enough burst to kill the spear on turn 1/turn 2, Piercing Wail to dumpster the heart's multi-attack... (Intagible for the heart's Big attack also helps a lot). For the heart, you really want to be able to end the fight before it gets past turn 10, and usually around turn 8/7. Which translates to you needing to be able to do around 50 damage a turn. (The heart caps out at taking 200 damage a turn, so factor this in). Thorn pots can help a lot here, because 15x3 = 45 damage for free on the heart. Stop hurting yourself, you giant organ!

Honestly, i find it's much harder to get to the heart than it is to beat the heart, but i'm no wizard at the game unlike Jorbs. I mean, i'm good, but i play lazily (when i play at all these days), so i tend to wipe out earlier in a run. A run that's going well and can get past the double act 3 bosses can usually take the heart. Though that's also because at this point i've killed the heart so many times it's just ingrained in me to build for killing the heart.

Probably the biggest thing is that the heart punishes gimmick decks, and falls over to well built resilient decks that can deal with status flooding and similar.

• GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    The bug bit me hard and I’m back on my bullshit with this game. Currently climbing ascensions with defect.

Stuck on A16. I consistently get destroyed by one of the Act 2 elites. I either never seem to have quite enough damage or defense to get across the finish line. Or I’m still struggling with the right decisions.

This game is awesome though.

Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve
    Act 2 elites..

Book of stabbing is a ramp-test. "Do this much damage this fast, or you die". Which is usually turn 5+ when you die (As that's when the 35 damage attacks start hitting). Intagible if you've got it can help, but it's a hard one for defect as defect is all about setup time to them stomp stuff. Giant Head gives defect similar conniptions.

Tri-Slavers is an AoE test/Burst damage test - you *need* to be able to kill the Red Slaver Turn 1, turn 2 at most. It gets a lot more managable if you can do this. Hyperbeam is a godsend here as it will just obliterate the fight in short order - 2 hyperbeams is usually enough to end the fight. Electrodynamics also helps a ton.

Gremlin Leader is a reliable aoe test - Gremlin Leader only actually has 3 moves - she can attack, she can summon, or she can buff and she can never repeat a move. So she can go Summon - Buff - Summon - buff, but she cant go Summon, Summon. She'll also never summon if she has 2 or more gremlins on the field, and she favors buffingi f there's more than 1 gremlin, and favors summoning if she has no gremlins.

The upshot is that you want to be able ot keep killing her gremlins while doing damage to her, which will ideally lock her in a loop of summoning and buffing for long enoguh that you can kill her without being attacked. Also her gremlins are plain nasty, esp Fat Gremlin.

I got the Minimilist achievement.

Now I just need Speed Climber, and I’m done.

I might have to do that on my PC, though, as the controls are a bit less clunky, and speed matters.

Then I just need to get the last 3 to A20, and I’m done with StS, and can finally play something else without this game haunting me…

• SeptusSeptus Registered User regular
    Man, I avoided this game for so long because of it's lack of additional videogame trappings and tried Steamworld Quest first and didn't get too far in. Tried this last night and I got drawn in hard. Some of the card text is a bit on the confusing side but hardly any more so than most other physical card games I've played.

Also, I went all in on Snecko Eyes on my first run and it's fun but uh... a little anxiety producing.

PSN: Kurahoshi1
    Septus wrote: »
    Man, I avoided this game for so long because of it's lack of additional videogame trappings and tried Steamworld Quest first and didn't get too far in. Tried this last night and I got drawn in hard. Some of the card text is a bit on the confusing side but hardly any more so than most other physical card games I've played.

Also, I went all in on Snecko Eyes on my first run and it's fun but uh... a little anxiety producing.

Welcome to the best deckbuilding roguelite game ever made. Feel free to ask about anything!

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
    I love StS and it’s relative simplicity

But also, I’m falling down a Monster Train hole hard

Prepare for disappointment (I really don't like monster train. Lots of good ideas, terrible execution)

• SeptusSeptus Registered User regular
    Whew, 3.5 hour run dead at the giant head. I definitely started to have a rougher time with snecko in the third zone. I started another ironclad run, with a focus on multiple attacks with some room for strength growth, velvet choker, and hopefully my two copies of anger won't come back to bite me with the choker.

PSN: Kurahoshi1
    Prepare for disappointment (I really don't like monster train. Lots of good ideas, terrible execution)

I'm nearly at Covenant 10, when does the disappointment set in? :huh:

Once ou've seen the truth of the code! *dramatic music sting*

Okay, so my issues with MT are partly to do with the covenant system - a lot of it's difficulty comes from just shoving crud into your deck, which is less than interesting. I find it's very limited routing to be boring. It has a really stupid mechanic to do with card draw it never tells you about. (Namely: The game will bias your draws such that you always have an uncommon+ creature in your starting hand/second hand. This ends up being a real issue with stuff like Consumer of Crowns who you want to play after you have imps out, not to mention the hell it causes for all the draw x and discount a creature cards, or similar). Also most of the gameplay space revolves around very go-big-or-go-home combos and whilethose can be fun, wehn they're the only trick the game has i loose interest.

• AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    I'll continue to be the lone guy cheering on Vault of the Void as the Slay the Spire alternative, I guess. :D

kshu0oba7xnr.png