As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The [Elden Ring] Has Shattered (CLOSED SPOILERS)

• AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    edited October 2021
    I too rather enjoy DS2. Probably my favorite.

But that’s like picking a favorite cookie. I love all the cookies.

Edit- I had played and beaten Demon Souls and then Dark Souls 1, but DS2 is where things really clicked for me. I didn’t just beat DS2 and moved on. I kept going back. Doing weird builds, trying different weapons, even tried to see how far I could get naked (as it turned out pretty far IIRC).

Axen on
    A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    I feel like the interconnectivity is fine, like everything else, for the first half of the game.

After a while... you just get tired of walking through 3-4 areas to do shit.

• DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    Yeah Bloodborne is by far my favorite Souls game. Fast combat that rewards aggressiveness and good timing.

• AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    edited October 2021
    DanHibiki wrote: »
    Peas wrote: »
    Elden Ring Nominated for Gamescom Awards (Day 435) 2:38

Best Microsoft Xbox Game
    Best PC Game
    Best Sony PlayStation Game
    Best Action Adventure Game
    Best Role Playing Game

Eh folks I know people are hyped but maybe at least wait for the game to come out first lol

Well they know none of the writers will be able to muster the competence to get past the tutorial area so they're just cutting to the chase.

Judging by the Metroid Dread reviews, I imagine it's going to be horrendous.

I'm largely confused by this statement, as Metroid Dread has reviewed extremely well. Only three reviews are below 80 and they are mostly from outlets I don't really care about. For lulz, I looked at IGN as an example and they gave the game 90. Could you clarify what exactly you're meaning here?
    Aegeri wrote: »
    I wonder if I can get a PS5 by then.

Also, I totally did. It was well worth the purchase as well.

Aegeri on
    The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular

Best Microsoft Xbox Game
    Best PC Game
    Best Role Playing Game

Eh folks I know people are hyped but maybe at least wait for the game to come out first lol

Well they know none of the writers will be able to muster the competence to get past the tutorial area so they're just cutting to the chase.

I'm largely confused by this statement, as Metroid Dread has reviewed extremely well. Only three reviews are below 80 and they are mostly from outlets I don't really care about. For lulz, I looked at IGN as an example and they gave the game 90. Could you clarify what exactly you're meaning here?

I mean Metroid Dread isn't that hard compared to other games, and we still had several outlets complaining about the difficulty. Including many of the 80's on Metacritic who docked it for being too hard.

Best Microsoft Xbox Game
    Best PC Game
    Best Role Playing Game

I mean Metroid Dread isn't that hard compared to other games, and we still had several outlets complaining about the difficulty. Including many of the 80's on Metacritic who docked it for being too hard.

I feel that's pretty subjective, as I've certainly been following the Metroid Dread thread and several forumers here have found it too hard/frustrating for sure. There are no difficulty options, so "too hard" means that you can't do shit about it if it is a problem for you and my understanding is that the bosses are very hard overall (unless you can sequence break, which makes a joke of one boss for sure). I've not played Dread yet to form my own opinion, but I am certainly going to enjoy the game immensely but I'm perfectly fine with a game being "hard". I no longer bother increasing difficulty where I have the option though unless trophies or achievements are in play.

edited October 2021

Best Microsoft Xbox Game
    Best PC Game
    Best Role Playing Game

I feel that's pretty subjective, as I've certainly been following the Metroid Dread thread and several forumers here have found it too hard/frustrating for sure. There are no difficulty options, so "too hard" means that you can't do shit about it if it is a problem for you and my understanding is that the bosses are very hard overall (unless you can sequence break, which makes a joke of one boss for sure). I've not played Dread yet to form my own opinion, but I am certainly going to enjoy the game immensely but I'm perfectly fine with a game being "hard". I no longer bother increasing difficulty where I have the option though unless trophies or achievements are in play.

You're also in the Elden Ring thread, so I think it's reasonable to assume almost everybody here are masochists.

There might be mechanical things people don't dig about Dread, but once you understand it the games kind of a cakewalk. That really isn't the case with soulslikes, so journalists having a tough time with Dread are going to really dislike Elden Ring, even if it's just DS3 levels of difficulty.

jungleroomx on
    edited October 2021
    IMO the Souls games are probably easier than Metroid Dread is. You can farm and out level any boss eventually if you put your mind to it. There is a finite amount of things you can do in Metroid Dread if you are stuck as you can't just farm enemies to level up beyond any challenge in that game - barring being able to sequence break. I suspect being good enough to sequence break the game probably means you would be easily good enough to beat the game normally though.

I personally find the difficulty of souls games, beyond a couple of particularly bullshit bosses/areas, to be highly overrated.

Like if it wasn't for Chalice Rom and Defiled Amygdala, I would put Bloodborne near the top of "Easiest games on PS4 to platinum".

Aegeri on
    IMO the Souls games are probably easier than Metroid Dread is. You can farm and out level any boss eventually if you put your mind to it. There is a finite amount of things you can do in Metroid Dread if you are stuck as you can't just farm enemies to level up beyond any challenge in that game - barring being able to sequence break. I suspect being good enough to sequence break the game probably means you would be easily good enough to beat the game normally though.

I personally find the difficulty of souls games, beyond a couple of particularly bullshit bosses/areas, to be highly overrated.

No leveling your way out of Sekiro.

edited October 2021

That's a good point and Sekiro is definitely more of a point of comparison to Dread than the other souls games are. I also think Sekiro is the best souls game for that reason, because it made me learn how to actually play rather than just brute force something that annoyed me.

Edit: Sekiro does have some absolutely fantastic cheese strategies though and I will always just dump the Daemon of Hatred off the cliff instead of bothering to fight that colorblind bullshittery.

Aegeri on
  • GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    edited October 2021
    The Souls games have always reviewed well though, so I'm not really sure where we're going with this line of conversation? Most of the larger outlets have a "Souls-person" who does the reviews for these type of games.

For example, you can all but take to the bank the fact that Tamoor will do GameSpots Elden Ring review.

GnomeTank on
    Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
    edited October 2021
    Just for my own curiosity, I looked up the Metacritic of Sekiro and both console versions easily get over 90 from critics.

So I'm still finding this quite baffling.

Edit: I swear that one video where Polygon struggled with the opening part of Doom 2016 has done more damage to all of game journalism than multiple people taking shady deals with companies ever did.

Aegeri on
  • BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    Jungleroom I want some of what you're smoking

BahamutZERO.gif

I have no reflexes but I did manage to get really far by cheaping the shit out the game using the arm tools. Lots of ways you can make the game easier with the shield and fireworks.

Not saying this works for all the bosses but Fromsoft did put in a lot of tools that help you cheat your way through.

I have no reflexes but I did manage to get really far by cheaping the shit out the game using the arm tools. Lots of ways you can make the game easier with the shield and fireworks.

Not saying this works for all the bosses but Fromsoft did put in a lot of tools that help you cheat your way through.

Yeah, stuff like the Guardian Ape can be cheesed.

Then you get to Issin and just facefulls of plaster up the nosehole because of the wall you just hit.

edited October 2021

Then you get to Issin and just facefulls of plaster up the nosehole because of the wall you just hit.

eeeehhh.... you can sorta cheese him too:
    basically Buffs, some firecrackers and exploiting the AI

DanHibiki on

eeeehhh.... you can sorta cheese him too:
    basically Buffs, some firecrackers and exploiting the AI

oh wow

I spent... so long trying to kill that old bastard...

edited October 2021
    You would be amazed what firecrackers can do to a lot of fights in Sekiro.

They utterly trivialize the first phase of the Guardian Ape, as an example and the second phase is easily beaten if you know you can deflect the standing sword attack, then rip out the centipede with the spear throw arm tool.

Aegeri on

They utterly trivialize the first phase of the Guardian Ape, as an example and the second phase is easily beaten if you know you can deflect the standing sword attack, then rip out the centipede with the spear throw arm tool.

Surprisingly

Flame Vent does a bit better against Gurdian Ape

• ED!ED! Registered User regular
    I signed up for the BETA if only to see what the hubbub is. For some reason I'm not as excited for this game as I've been for other games that have come out or have already come out this year. If everything I've seen so far didn't just peg it as more Dark Souls; basically I hope we get more than just a boss rush (I'm talking secrets, hidden dungeons, maybe a fully formed crafting system that is a bit more than search for more of these rocks. . .now get even more better rocks. Just something to shake up the formula which really hasn't changed in any kind of significant way since DS's.

. . .that said, even if it doesn't shake anything up, Dark Souls in an open world I'm sure will be enjoyable and I'll beat it like every other FROMSOFT title, but just give me something a bit more. Like chalice dungeons. Those were amazing and something I didn't expect to see in a FS title and something new and fresh we haven't seen since.

"Get the hell out of me" - [ex]girlfriend
    ED! wrote: »
    I signed up for the BETA if only to see what the hubbub is. For some reason I'm not as excited for this game as I've been for other games that have come out or have already come out this year. If everything I've seen so far didn't just peg it as more Dark Souls; basically I hope we get more than just a boss rush (I'm talking secrets, hidden dungeons, maybe a fully formed crafting system that is a bit more than search for more of these rocks. . .now get even more better rocks. Just something to shake up the formula which really hasn't changed in any kind of significant way since DS's.

. . .that said, even if it doesn't shake anything up, Dark Souls in an open world I'm sure will be enjoyable and I'll beat it like every other FROMSOFT title, but just give me something a bit more. Like chalice dungeons. Those were amazing and something I didn't expect to see in a FS title and something new and fresh we haven't seen since.

It’s probably PVP only

• DrezDrez Registered User regular

They crack fire.

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • CeiooCeioo Registered User new member

How where the chalice dungeons something exciting? I thought they were repetitive, boring and only worth playing through for the trophy.
    Liked some of the bosses and the lore tho.

More about Elden Ring:
    Elden Ring Wiki
    Chalice Dungeons demonstrate why FromSoft's level design is so damn important to the game.

• cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    I'm gonna be that guy and say I preferred 2 over 3, but both pale in comparison to 1.

3 tries too hard to be Bloodborne with every boss evolving, and it really got on my nerves.

wVEsyIc.png
  • ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    the static, required dungeons are obnxiously bad, long and have no reward except to progress to the next dungeon

once you get through that shit to ones where you might get good gems and runes, they're at least somewhat tolerable

• WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    Chalice dungeons are much lower quality than the rest of the game, but I actually really have appreciated being able to come back to Bloodborne and try content I haven't done before. Getting the trophy was also a lot less grindy than I was afraid it was going to be (at least, when using a guide).

At any rate, the unique chalice boss fights are definitely worth doing.

• KamarKamar Registered User regular
    edited October 2021
    Dark Souls 3 basically achieved its goal of bringing together the good stuff from Dark Souls 1 and Bloodborne to produce something superior, so hopefully Elden Ring can successfully do it again while additionally drawing on Dark Souls 2 (and its scrapped ideas) and Sekiro (not my favorite From game but I'm excited to see a lot of its gameplay stuff in a Soulslike context).

Kamar on
  • SatsumomoSatsumomo Rated PG! Registered User regular
    GnomeTank wrote: »
    ... You can feel the development team running out of time and energy as you close out that game.

Whereas Dark Souls 2 feels like this pretty much the whole time!

Ceioo wrote: »
    How where the chalice dungeons something exciting? I thought they were repetitive, boring and only worth playing through for the trophy.
    Liked some of the bosses and the lore tho.

As someone mentioned, once you got past the introductory dungeons, the rest of the journey that led you to the final boss (while also giving you content you could grind on outside of the main game) was something I appreciated. It didn't need to be in there, the game would have been excellent without it, but as an aside to the main game I found them a nice addition.
    Satsumomo wrote: »
    GnomeTank wrote: »
    ... You can feel the development team running out of time and energy as you close out that game.

Whereas Dark Souls 2 feels like this pretty much the whole time!

Never experienced that with DS2 and it is why it easily blows the other offerings on STEAM out of the water in terms of time played. The level design absolutely makes no sense, but it didn't need to when each of the sublevels were enjoyable on their own (or at least that's what I thought). DS2 definitely feels more accessible than DS1 and going from 2 to 3 you can feel the switch in design philosophy.

edited October 2021
    On the spoilered leaked footage shown before in the Twitter link, I found a Youtube 1080p version of it that looks a lot better.

The shadowing looks off, I will say, and I hope it's something we can crank on PC.

I think, the textures anyway, look a lot better than DS3.

jungleroomx on
  • SatsumomoSatsumomo Rated PG! Registered User regular

Never experienced that with DS2 and it is why it easily blows the other offerings on STEAM out of the water in terms of time played. The level design absolutely makes no sense, but it didn't need to when each of the sublevels were enjoyable on their own (or at least that's what I thought). DS2 definitely feels more accessible than DS1 and going from 2 to 3 you can feel the switch in design philosophy.

Just to be clear, DS2 is probably my most played souls game, but boy does it feel janky and when you read up on the development hell the game went through, you can understand why so many things feel this way in the game.

• urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular

There's a 15 minute preview going live in about 10 minutes. I might just pass watching it... But in case you were wondering!

• DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    edited November 2021
    Wowzers this looks fantastic.

Originally I was all "THIS IS THE GAME I PLAY DIFFERENT! MAYBE I"LL USE MAGIC WITH A LONG SWORD!"

But like seeing some of the special attacks I may just end up using a big dumb sword and mixing in special attacks/summons and calling it a day...

We'll see though!

DemonStacey on
    Waiting for this to get uploaded. That streaming is gross.

Yeah it looks predictably dope. Definitely a lot more Sekiro DNA made it into here than I originally thought

• CruorCruor Registered User regular
    I'm very happy with how bright and colorful a lot of the areas seem. Will make for great contrast when in dungeons.

• DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Shit that clip of the boss fight at the end makes it almost impossible for me to do anything but go big dumb sword again, especially with such a sleek big dumb sword! Those are the kinda big swords I love the most!

• ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    Shit that clip of the boss fight at the end makes it almost impossible for me to do anything but go big dumb sword again, especially with such a sleek big dumb sword! Those are the kinda big swords I love the most!
    gonna stan my dark souls king: the murakumo

This discussion has been closed.