As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Fun with Car Warranties

Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
So, H&A, just seeing if anyone else can give me some advice on where to go with this (if anywhere).

My wife has a car, it's a 2014 Kia Sedona and it's engine died on Friday. We had it towed to our mechanic and he said "yeah, that's a Kia thing for this age, you'll want to get it to the dealership". So, after calling yesterday and getting no response, today I got a service manager and he confirmed it's 99% likely a warranty issue and covered - but they are over a month out just to diagnose, then the parts get ordered, then a few days of work, he'd say to expect to be carless for over 2 months. He also said he's had other customers call other Kia dealerships and there is no one that isn't that far out for scheduling.

Now, we have a 2nd car, but it's my bug, and really not big enough to be the sole transportation for my family so we really need to have a solution to get us into something in the meantime. We have a few options - one is to get the dealership to consider a trade of her car even though it's pending that warranty work, one is to trade in my beloved car so we have something different in the meantime (my car is the least "upside down" on the loan), or obviously we could rent something, but that's stupidly expensive.

First, the dealership said Kia only provides loaners during the actual work - so the last two or three days it's in there with them - which is useless. Is there any hope in pushing on Kia's national support to try to get a loaner/rental reimbursement? Second, are their any car rental places folks now of that specialize in longer-term rentals that might be cheaper than the daily rates at Hertz/Enterprise? I assume my insurance wouldn't have any discounts? Anyone been in this boat?

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    So, H&A, just seeing if anyone else can give me some advice on where to go with this (if anywhere).

My wife has a car, it's a 2014 Kia Sedona and it's engine died on Friday. We had it towed to our mechanic and he said "yeah, that's a Kia thing for this age, you'll want to get it to the dealership". So, after calling yesterday and getting no response, today I got a service manager and he confirmed it's 99% likely a warranty issue and covered - but they are over a month out just to diagnose, then the parts get ordered, then a few days of work, he'd say to expect to be carless for over 2 months. He also said he's had other customers call other Kia dealerships and there is no one that isn't that far out for scheduling.

Now, we have a 2nd car, but it's my bug, and really not big enough to be the sole transportation for my family so we really need to have a solution to get us into something in the meantime. We have a few options - one is to get the dealership to consider a trade of her car even though it's pending that warranty work, one is to trade in my beloved car so we have something different in the meantime (my car is the least "upside down" on the loan), or obviously we could rent something, but that's stupidly expensive.

First, the dealership said Kia only provides loaners during the actual work - so the last two or three days it's in there with them - which is useless. Is there any hope in pushing on Kia's national support to try to get a loaner/rental reimbursement? Second, are their any car rental places folks now of that specialize in longer-term rentals that might be cheaper than the daily rates at Hertz/Enterprise? I assume my insurance wouldn't have any discounts? Anyone been in this boat?

make a stink about it in as many public places as possible.

the only way to get anyone to do anything anymore is the hope they get shamed into it.

• Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    You absolutely do not want to be buying a car in today's market, used or otherwise. The trade-in market is insane and there's little inventory for decent cars anywhere, much less new ones. Do what you can to try and get them to give you rental reimbursement. Also talk to your car insurance company, they might have a thing as well.

Rental ompanies like hertz are in even worse shape - they sold a lot of their inventory during the pandemic and now can't replace it.

• Options
    Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    spool32 wrote: »
    You absolutely do not want to be buying a car in today's market, used or otherwise. The trade-in market is insane and there's little inventory for decent cars anywhere, much less new ones. Do what you can to try and get them to give you rental reimbursement. Also talk to your car insurance company, they might have a thing as well.

Rental ompanies like hertz are in even worse shape - they sold a lot of their inventory during the pandemic and now can't replace it.

Well, I think I might have found a solution - at least for a few weeks. I called Kia themselves and they will do rental reimbursement for us once the car is finished. However, it's only covering $42ish/day, which is not the cost to rent a Geo Metro at this point (if they still existed). But, at least I knew that they would cover something, so we could have a vehicle for a week or two to get our lives pulled together a bit.

I called my insurance company, and they don't offer a discount/coverage (I swear when I signed up they said they had a discount program with at least one rental company).

Then, it struck me - I work for a company whose primary business is fleet fuel cards and we partner with a bunch of rental/program car places. So, I checked with HR, and we do actually have a corporate discount with one of the rental companies and it's more than significant enough to get the price to where we can get fully reimbursed even if we kept it the whole time.

So thanks all - I know what you're saying spool32 - we really didn't want to buy something, we were just in a really sticky situation. I think this should take care of me - so mods feel free to close out, things sort of fell into place when I called the right folks!

• Options
    mRahmanimRahmani DetroitRegistered User regular
    Glad you got it sorted. Everything car related is FUBAR right now. No chips to make new cars, so people can't buy new cars, so people are holding onto older cars, and older cars are breaking and needing more repairs, and there's no parts to fix the older cars, and round and round we go. Best guess is mid-2022 for things to start settling down right now, but that's just a guess.

• Options
    ChiselphaneChiselphane Registered User regular
    edited October 2021
    Yeah, I had to buy a 2nd car recently because my son was off to college and it's just miserable. I had to settle for nearly twice my normal budget, just couldn't wait any longer for things to calm down

The kicker is it's also a kia Sedona and is having engine problems ><

Chiselphane on
  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    spool32 wrote: »

Rental companies like hertz are in even worse shape - they sold a lot of their inventory during the pandemic and now can't replace it.

Well this is wonderful to read... my bro's car likely has a crack in the engine block (oil is everywhere), and they were quoted at 6k to replace it, for a car he paid 8k for. So he's now car hunting.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch