As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Steam] Where we don't click links we don't know even if our friends appear to send them!

• Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    I have Into The Breach on GOG but I'm tempted to buy it on Steam for presumed use on the Deck. I may be crazy

• Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    edited October 2021
    Mugsley wrote: »
    I have Into The Breach on GOG but I'm tempted to buy it on Steam for presumed use on the Deck. I may be crazy

GOG games should work on the Deck just fine (mostly).

Into the Breach has a native Linux version on GOG, if I'm reading right, so it'll be fine either way.

Edit: that said, it is the price of a coffee on Steam right now...

Jazz on
  • Options
    LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    Cloud saves make it worth the price imo.

• Options
    Kai_SanKai_San Commonly known as Klineshrike! Registered User regular
    PMAvers wrote: »

This is the thing Deck needed to become a "console", delivering a plug-n-play, fire-and-forget experience, for those who want it. Let's just hope more than 10 games can get that verified checkmark. :P Hopefully enough devs will start chasing after it.

I can't help but wonder if there is a battalion of people just running through steam and checking games, which is the only reason it isn't released yet

• Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    Developers are definitely being encouraged to check their games to see if they work on it. :P

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    LD50 wrote: »
    Cloud saves make it worth the price imo.

Valid point!

• Options
    edited October 2021
    The Tomb Raider reboot trilogy (TR2013, Rise, Shadow) has been updated. The patch notes claim that you now need to sign into Epic for multiplayer. They're lying (not all those games even have multiplayer IIRC). You need to sign into Epic to play them AT ALL, and you need to be online to do so. So effectively they've had always-online DRM patched in as well as now requiring an Epic account.

Review bombing on Steam has, of course, commenced.

(Edit: the patch was rolled back for Rise, I assume temporarily, and seemingly for unrelated issues, so that's still playable as-was for now.)

Jazz on
  • Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    I was looking for an FPS to pick up on Steam the other night, and saw a game called Industria that looked interesting, so I bought it. I finally got around to playing it tonight and it was really interesting. The setting is East Berlin, 1989, the night of the Fall of the Berlin Wall. Concerned that the newly established government will find out about the research that the two of you have been a part of your lover heads to the lab for an unknown purpose, after leaving you with a cryptic and disturbing phonecall referencing AI and having to "put a stop" to something. Concerned for his safety, you decide to follow him.

While there isn't a huge variety in enemies or weapons, what is there is solid, and there are a few moments that can be pretty tense. The environments look really great, and the soundtrack fits really well. The downsides are that its very short (about four hours), and there is a little bit of jank (it crashed on me twice over the course of my playthrough). It definitely draws inspiration from Half Life 2 (honestly it feels like a high quality HL2 mod), but some of the visuals can get pretty trippy.
    op75d6h0kgu6.jpg

Anyway, I liked it. Not the worst way to spend twenty bucks.

• Options
    Pixelated PixiePixelated Pixie They/Them Registered User regular
    Jazz wrote: »
    The Tomb Raider reboot trilogy (TR2013, Rise, Shadow) has been updated. The patch notes claim that you now need to sign into Epic for multiplayer. They're lying (not all those games even have multiplayer). You need to sign into Epic to play them AT ALL, and you need to be online to do so. So effectively they've had always-online DRM patched in as well as now requiring an Epic account.

(Edit: the patch was rolled back for Rise, I assume temporarily, and seemingly for unrelated issues, so that's still playable as-was for now.)

What
    the
    everloving
    fuck?

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Chipmunks are like nature's nipple clamps, I guess?
  • Options
    Did they backtrack on this? I just fired up Tomb Raider 2013 and was able to play without an Epic account, the only change I saw was an option in the main menu to "Link Epic and Steam Accounts".

• Options
    Jealous DevaJealous Deva Registered User regular
    edited October 2021
    Decided to play Jedi Outcast because I have been on an fps kick, and damn this game is such a tease…

Ok well here we are in an enemy base, I guess this is a short teaser before getting the lightsaber and going jedi on some imperial fuckers…

Oh wait that was actually really damn long. Well now surely we will get some lightsaber action… Oh shit no its a mine level.

Well shit that was a long ass level too but here’s Luke Skywalker, surely now I’ll go all jedi now.

Well crap its a puzzle level. I guess we needed a force power tutorial though. Now at least I have a lightsaber, lets get to Jedi-ing it up…

NO IT’S AN OUTDOOR SNIPER LEVEL

Jealous Deva on
  • Options
    Did they backtrack on this? I just fired up Tomb Raider 2013 and was able to play without an Epic account, the only change I saw was an option in the main menu to "Link Epic and Steam Accounts".

I wasn't able to on TR2013, it went to a screen that just says PROFILE in huge letters and sent me to Epic's site in my browser. Trying it offline, it just got the PROFILE screen and stopped dead, wouldn't let me go any further. Is yours on the newest patch?

• Options
    PCGamesN.com seems to disagree with me: https://www.pcgamesn.com/shadow-of-the-tomb-raider/steam-epic-login

Although I note that article is dated yesterday. Hmm...

• Options

I wasn't able to on TR2013, it went to a screen that just says PROFILE in huge letters and sent me to Epic's site in my browser. Trying it offline, it just got the PROFILE screen and stopped dead, wouldn't let me go any further. Is yours on the newest patch?

Yeah, it looks like SE rolled back the patch while they "investigate" the problem.

• Options
    ironzergironzerg Registered User regular

From the article:
    If you have previously linked your Steam and Epic accounts, however, yes, you will get a web browser prompt upon launching any of the three games, asking you to permit Epic access to your online game data. If you click cancel on this prompt, you will not be able to reach the title screen of any of the games.

That sounds like where the bug is...I guess the case for someone who was linked, but hit canceled, isn't being accurately handled, hence the rollback on the patch.

• Options
    Yeah, my Steam account isn't linked to any Epic account (*shudder*) so Shadow launched and played just fine for me.

Pitchfork and torch set aside.

For now. :evil:

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
  • Options
    edited October 2021

Yeah, it looks like SE rolled back the patch while they "investigate" the problem.

Huh, I haven't got that. Only in Rise. TR2013 and Shadow are still doing it.

And it turns out that the PCGamesN article is partially right, as far as I can tell. Unlinking my Steam and Epic accounts (easily done in Epic account settings) made them (TR2013 and Shadow) work with no login needed, but they still will not run offline at all. Rise will.

To be fair, I could live with the Epic login, but I'd like to see the always-online requirement dumped, there is no place for that shit, especially in single-player games. With the Steam Deck on the horizon that's become more important to me than ever, although it was always egregious.

Jazz on
  • Options
    edited October 2021
    Can't play Tomb Raider in offline mode though. So it is true they patched in an "always online" requirement.

Pixelated Pixie on
    ~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
  • Options
    ironzergironzerg Registered User regular

Huh, I haven't got that. Only in Rise. TR2013 and Shadow are still doing it.

And it turns out that the PCGamesN article is partially right, as far as I can tell. Unlinking my Steam and Epic accounts (easily done in Epic account settings) made them (TR2013 and Shadow) work with no login needed, but they still will not run offline at all. Rise will.

To be fair, I could live with the Epic login, but I'd like to see the always-online requirement dumped, there is no place for that shit, especially in single-player games. With the Steam Deck on the horizon that's become more important to me than ever, although it was always egregious.

I sometimes wonder if this is also laziness versus maliciousness. I'm not a programmer at all, but maybe there's cases where some components only work while online, and it's easier to just enable the entire thing versus programming it so those bits that don't work if you're offline are disabled, but also don't break other parts of the game.

Or not. Maybe I'll see if Epic is hiring. I can drive by the office and offer my services as someone who will raise his hand in a meeting to let executives know forcing gamers to create an account to play a game when it doesn't have any inherent benefit to the gamer is a dumb fuck move that's only going to piss people off, not actually create loyal customers.

• Options
    @Pixelated Pixie never misses.

7h9b9r57uov6.jpg

And yes it does look super cute! Thank you for Dragons Never Cry! :heartbeat:

• Options
    MalakaiusMalakaius KalamazooRegistered User regular
    @Viking nuked me with a really neat looking game from the creator of Dead Cells, one of my favorite recent-ish games! Thank you!
    01nn6nlqbgx7.jpg

PSN: Malakaius- | Steam: Malakaius Switch: SW-4569-5525-1983
  • Options
    edited October 2021
    Further to the Tomb Raider thing. Older versions of those games are kept live in the Betas section of Steam, so rolling back to the previous version takes but a couple of clicks and then all is well.

Well, except Shadow doesn't seem to quit properly so Steam thinks it's still running. And they do need running online once before they'll work offline. But still!

Jazz on
  • Options
    KalnaurKalnaur I See Rain . . . Centralia, WARegistered User regular
    The Tomb Raider reboot trilogy (TR2013, Rise, Shadow) has been updated. The patch notes claim that you now need to sign into Epic for multiplayer. They're lying (not all those games even have multiplayer IIRC). You need to sign into Epic to play them AT ALL, and you need to be online to do so. So effectively they've had always-online DRM patched in as well as now requiring an Epic account.

Glad I have the second and third on the PS4. Might have to see if I can get the original for it and then say fuck it to the PC version.

I make art things! deviantART: Kalnaur ::: Origin: Kalnaur ::: UPlay: Kalnaur
  • Options
    edited October 2021
    Kalnaur wrote: »

Glad I have the second and third on the PS4. Might have to see if I can get the original for it and then say fuck it to the PC version.

Should be on sale regularly and be cheap as chips. (It certainly has been on Xbox, where I've also got all three.)

But I've figured out the PC version for now by using previous versions in "beta branches", see above... and there's plenty of outcry about them not working offline. Hoping something happens there.

Jazz on
  • Options
    ThawmusThawmus +Jackface Registered User regular
    Gonna be really pissed if this somehow broke the linux versions of the tomb raider games. They have been some of the best benchmark tools for linux thus far.

Twitch: Thawmus83
  • Options
    Thawmus wrote: »
    Gonna be really pissed if this somehow broke the linux versions of the tomb raider games. They have been some of the best benchmark tools for linux thus far.

AFAIK the Linux versions are untouched, but you'd be better placed to test that than I!

• Options
    QuestorQuestor PAX Aus Tabletop [E] Melbourne, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    Hmmmmm.....

be4kn3317s8r.jpg

I definitely did NOT request a gift, but @Pixelated Pixie seems to think I did...

Thank you for Everhood, this looks super interesting <3

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    Questor wrote: »
    Hmmmmm.....

be4kn3317s8r.jpg

I definitely did NOT request a gift, but @Pixelated Pixie seems to think I did...

Thank you for Everhood, this looks super interesting <3

That's because you're reading it upside down

• Options
    AFAIK the Linux versions are untouched

Yeah, no way Squeenix wanted to take a chance on pissing off all seven Linux gamers.

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
  • Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    The steam deck runs on Linux, I think, so it's about to be a bit more

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    At least twelve.

• Options
    xf2ug7g1jwbx.png

@Thawmus did a thing.

My kid's been after me to play this with him.

Now I have no excuses.

Thanks! <3<3<3

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
  • Options
    ArcTangentArcTangent Registered User regular
    Jesus fucking christ, Dead By Daylight.

The last four months have been one clusterfuck after another with them doing everything wrong at every step of the way.

A hot new Resident Evil map! ...That is bugged beyond belief, crashes the game, and needs to be repeatedly disabled as new gamebreaking bugs are found.

Skill based matchmaking is introduced! ...That is not skill based or team based, and rewards behavior your scoring system punishes. Also, oops, we broke multiple entire maps so some but not all are disabled.

Pinhead as a new killer! ...And we're going ham with Hellraiser NFTs because ha ha, fuck you and fuck the world. We'll get around to fixing those maps next patch.

Super big new patch with major overhaul of some core mechanics! ...With new survivor perks that are horrendously overtuned which also fuck up the entire screen on certain graphics settings, cause frequent crashes, are often unbreakable because of buggy placement. But here, we gave the Pig an add-on that is also broken as absolute shit, just 25-50% kills each survivor with zero counterplay. Oh, and did we mention that we also removed the Stranger Things map a month before we said we would without announcement or warning? Cause we did that too. And you can't play the game at all because our servers are all down. Enjoy your fucking NFTs.

Just take a month and fix... *waves arms* EVERYTHING.

ztrEPtD.gif
  • Options
    ArmsForPeace84ArmsForPeace84 Your Partner In Freedom Registered User regular
    The steam deck runs on Linux, I think, so it's about to be a bit more

Linux and Proton. Which is great, because there are already Steam curators with lists of games tested for compatibility, going back years.

Nothing personal. It's just business.
  • Options
    ThawmusThawmus +Jackface Registered User regular
    AFAIK the Linux versions are untouched

Yeah, no way Squeenix wanted to take a chance on pissing off all seven Linux gamers.

Look the other 6 are even angrier than I am about this shit I don't even know what they're capable of.

Twitch: Thawmus83
  • Options
    Guy, theHunter: Call of the Wild is on sale on the Humble Store. Its the usual $1/$bta/$15 options, but for $15 you get the game and all of its DLC.

Also, it has detailed breakdowns of where your shots hit:
    zqgz31bncq85.jpg
    xdc6wg2oy3u6.jpg

(Unfortunately, the game gives you poor marks for headshots.)

There is a story though, which I wasn't expecting in a hunting simulator. I've just been hired to work in a reserve that has seen a steep downturn in revenue, and the warden is trying to figure out how to reverse course. He wants to add "adventure sporting" (rock climbing, snowboarding, etc) but the board is very stuffy and stonewalls anything that isn't traditional hunting (it doesn't help that the wardens dad nailed one of the other boardmember's sons for illegal poaching in the park, which created an uproar and caused several members loyal to the boardmember to reduce their funding significantly). Also, his dad is sick, and it looks like it may have been caused by runoff from an old uranium mine making its way into one of the lakes (the warden is taking care of his father, which is why I was hired to maintain the reserve).

I have helped collect evidence against a conspiracy theorist who believes that the government is hiding something in the closed down uranium mine. I have searched for a yogi who took her class into the woods for a camping "retreat" without packing appropriate survival gear. I have helped locate an elderly man whose wife died three weeks ago who is heading to the spot where he originally proposed to her decades earlier (but his son thinks he had a breakdown and may be suicidal because he is intentionally wandering through bear country without a rifle). I accidentally ran into a bobcat and shot it in the face with a shotgun.

I'm just a handful of missions into the game and I have already gotten my fifteen bucks worth and then some.

• Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    ArcTangent wrote: »
    Jesus fucking christ, Dead By Daylight.

The last four months have been one clusterfuck after another with them doing everything wrong at every step of the way.

A hot new Resident Evil map! ...That is bugged beyond belief, crashes the game, and needs to be repeatedly disabled as new gamebreaking bugs are found.

Skill based matchmaking is introduced! ...That is not skill based or team based, and rewards behavior your scoring system punishes. Also, oops, we broke multiple entire maps so some but not all are disabled.

Pinhead as a new killer! ...And we're going ham with Hellraiser NFTs because ha ha, fuck you and fuck the world. We'll get around to fixing those maps next patch.

Super big new patch with major overhaul of some core mechanics! ...With new survivor perks that are horrendously overtuned which also fuck up the entire screen on certain graphics settings, cause frequent crashes, are often unbreakable because of buggy placement. But here, we gave the Pig an add-on that is also broken as absolute shit, just 25-50% kills each survivor with zero counterplay. Oh, and did we mention that we also removed the Stranger Things map a month before we said we would without announcement or warning? Cause we did that too. And you can't play the game at all because our servers are all down. Enjoy your fucking NFTs.

Just take a month and fix... *waves arms* EVERYTHING.

And now they have NFTs.... they fucking are doing N-fucking-Ts, and acting like it's a good thing

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    How does that work with dlc, exactly?

• Options
    heenatoheenato Alice Leywind Registered User regular
    edited October 2021
    It's not tying into the DLC in any way. They are completely separate companies doing seperate things. In the end behaviour made a deal with the devil and got royally fucked for it.

heenato on
    M A G I K A Z A M
This discussion has been closed.