As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

X-Pac and Jerry Lynn Appreciation Thread [Wrestling]

• Options
    bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular
    Kota is the table!

• Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    Kota is the table!

He's a Japanese Daniel Day Lewis. If DDL was built like a brick shithouse.

No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular

Evil Uno is the first ChocoPro USA Janken competitor let's fucking gooooooooo

• Options

Punk vs Sydal beat Becky vs Sasha and Ruby vs Bunny tied the Brock segment in the key demo

• Options
    Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
  • Options
    hailtothekalehailtothekale Registered User regular
    edited October 2021
    I swear Brett is booking these Psycho Clown and Masashi Takeda and Rina Yamashita matches outside of the area just to piss me off.

hailtothekale on
  • Options
    LockedOnTargetLockedOnTarget Registered User regular
    Roman fears The Bunny

• Options
    SproutSprout Registered User regular
    He’s correct to, honestly.

• Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    What are everyone's thoughts on Jim Cornette? He's interesting and exhausting at the same time. Feels like a polarizing personality with a lot of pent up anger.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    MNC Dover wrote: »
    What are everyone's thoughts on Jim Cornette? He's interesting and exhausting at the same time. Feels like a polarizing personality with a lot of pent up anger.

As a historian hes absolutely a legend but as a person and as a critic of modern wrestling hes an absolute trashfire

• Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    I will never understand wrestling fans obsessions with ratings and now demographics.

• Options
    ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    Can confirm, my grandmother loves Roman Reigns.

Although I got her to watch the Buy In with the promise of Bryan getting absolutely mauled by an angry old Japanese man, and she was mostly satisfied.

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    Andy JoeAndy Joe We claim the land for the highlord! The AdirondacksRegistered User regular
    G1
    Ibushi got saved by Red Shoes slowing the 20-count at least thrice there.

XBL: Stealth Crane PSN: ajpet12 3DS: 1160-9999-5810 NNID: StealthCrane Pokemon Scarlet Name: Carmen
  • Options
    ThawmusThawmus +Jackface Registered User regular

He's a gigantic piece of shit and a sex pest and a misogynist and a homophobe and a transphobe who sometimes is right about the thing he's saying right this second but for the most part he's an angry old fart whose opinion is never worth hearing.

The only exception is hearing what crazy bullshit has gone on behind the curtain in the past that even he is like "what the actual fuck?" and sometimes not even then.

Twitch: Thawmus83
  • Options
    VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    edited October 2021
    Somewhere on Shayna Bayzler's character sheet is the phrase "Weakness: Simple Rollups".

Vyolynce on
  • Options
    CelloCello Registered User regular
    Kyougu wrote: »
    I will never understand wrestling fans obsessions with ratings and now demographics.

Generally, agreed, and it's mostly a Console Wars thing

But it is very good for Bunny and Ruby to have won out there, and it was also the first time WWE did not have the highest rated wrestling show since 1998

So this one time I'm like, hmm! Hmm!!!

Either way, if it ends with Tony Khan giving the people what they want, I mean, sure, whatever

Steam
    3DS Friend Code: 0216-0898-6512
    Switch Friend Code: SW-7437-1538-7786
  • Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    if the result of a ratings war is more matches like danielson vs. suzuki then rock on

• Options
    LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    Thawmus wrote: »

He's a gigantic piece of shit and a sex pest and a misogynist and a homophobe and a transphobe who sometimes is right about the thing he's saying right this second but for the most part he's an angry old fart whose opinion is never worth hearing.

The only exception is hearing what crazy bullshit has gone on behind the curtain in the past that even he is like "what the actual fuck?" and sometimes not even then.

Some combination of boredom and YouTube's algorithm brought to my attention that he's on YouTube again, now "officially" with his own channel and such, and despite my better judgment, I've been poking at a few videos.

I think hearing Tony Kahn or someone talking about what he said about Punk's debut may have played a part.

Now, it may just be the luck of the draw, but he sounds like he's mellowed out quite a bit since I last listened to him. If so, good for him, I guess? It just surprised me a bit, since "anger" has been his thing for so long that I'm surprised it wasn't his nickname.

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options
    KandenKanden Registered User regular
    Didn't he get fired from NWA within the last couple years for being a racist shitbag? Fuck Cornette

• Options
    Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    Kanden wrote: »
    Didn't he get fired from NWA within the last couple years for being a racist shitbag? Fuck Cornette

Yes, he made a shitty joke about starving people in Ethiopia mixed with a good ol American racist stereotype that would have been something you might have heard from your uncle in the 80s. In fact, I think they looked it up and he did use the same joke back in the 80s when he was a manager.

He's just an angry old man desperately trying to stay relevant by "telling it like it is". I understand being a critic but he's just nasty about it. I remember hearing he was pretty terrible about Sonny Kiss at one point too.

• Options
    Andy Joe wrote: »
    G1
    Ibushi got saved by Red Shoes slowing the 20-count at least thrice there.

Not really related, but this reminded me of the time he didn't realize WWE used 10-counts and nearly screwed up the entire Cruiserweight Classic.

• Options
    About the only time Cornette has value these days is by being part of Dark Side of the Ring, and yet his presence there has slowly eroded my will to watch it. Especially when they spend several episodes re-hashing his beef with Vince Russo.

I would gladly just throw them in a room together with a piece of meat and lock the door. And then never open it, after promising to do so. And then Cask of Amontillado'ing that shit. Yes I still use Cask of Amontillado as a verb, I will do it til the day I die, because it works.

• Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    Sounds like people's view of Cornette are similar to mine then. Like, I've listened to a few of his things and he's just so angry. When he talks about older matches, it's pretty neat and inciteful (the HBK/Vader and Bret/Austin matches sticking out), but then he just gets irrationally dumb about current stuff. The product is definitely different these days, but so are the fan bases. As a kid in the 80s, I was never sure if what I was watching was real or not. I seriously doubt that holds true these days.

Now one person I do like watching is Al Snow. He does a lot of interesting wrestling tutorial stuff that is fascinating and shows how even a jobber has a lot of talent at the highest levels. Of course, he does say stupid, eye-rolling shit from time to time, but it's nowhere near as bad as Cornette.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    If you want some interesting stuff to listen to regarding wrestling, I'd recommend how2wrestling, someone here posted an episode a long while back and I've been hooked, very deep dives on old big names.

• Options
    KandenKanden Registered User regular
    Al Snow just saved a kid from drowning too, which is probably a point in his favor

• Options
  • Options
    SkwigelfSkwigelf Passed out in a cloud of farts and cigarette smoke.Registered User regular
    I mean...good job CM Punk?

Only around 300,000 more people watched Becky vs Sasha on a lesser channel(FS1) than they did your match against Flippy the Weedman.

:eyeroll:

• Options
    MagellMagell Detroit Machine Guns Fort MyersRegistered User regular
  • Options
    Cain Velasquez, Psycho Clown, and Pagano is a hell of a team.

• Options
    edited October 2021
    Skwigelf wrote: »

Only around 300,000 more people watched Becky vs Sasha on a lesser channel(FS1) than they did your match against Flippy the Weedman.

Ill explain why that number doesn't actually mean so much but I don't think you care.

but the tl;dr is

a) Smack Down had a 2 hour lead in
    b) WWE also has a huge (their largest portion of viewers) of 50+ people likely never watch any wrestling except WWE. There could be no WWE opposing AEW and those people still wouldn't watch.

bloodyroarxx on
  • Options
    LockedOnTargetLockedOnTarget Registered User regular
    Skwigelf wrote: »

A new company beating the Disney of wrestling in the main demographic is absolutely an accomplishment and worth celebrating. No one is expecting them to outdo the WWE in total viewers. WWE is a media juggernaut that’s essentially too big to fail at this point. No matter how bad they get they will always have the most attention because to a lot of people, WWE is pro wrestling.

AEW has been enormously successful when taken into context the state of the industry.

Also Sydal deserves better than your weird dismissal of him. He did a fantastic job in that match. He’s always been a great wrestler, and he’s not even a high flyer anymore to begin with.

• Options
    AlphaRomeroAlphaRomero Registered User regular
    It's not entirely true that WWE is too big to fail. They will eventually not have any of the huge names that have carried them left, and no one is gonna be tuning in in 20 years for a special Crown Jewel main event featuring the return of Roman Reigns, no matter how much WWE believes that is true. And people are already souring on WWE doing this, re Goldberg.

• Options
    I do find it hilarious that returning old man Punk is bragging about how much more attention he gets than newer stars.

I feel like you could go back in time a few years and he'd have a different opinion about this sort of situation. Funny how that works!

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    Reynolds wrote: »
    I do find it hilarious that returning old man Punk is bragging about how much more attention he gets than newer stars.

I feel like you could go back in time a few years and he'd have a different opinion about this sort of situation. Funny how that works!

Punk’s issue was with talent coming back as part time and taking the shine away from younger talent on the same show

Punk is neither part time nor is on the same show as the people he was bragging over

• Options
    burboburbo Registered User regular
    Also, Punk has specifically gone out of his way to mainly wrestle, talk up, and elevate younger stars. I still take the point and think its funny though.

• Options
    edited October 2021
    He's been there for two months and has wrestled four times (and won all four matches).

AEW has, what, four shows a week plus a PPV every 2-3 months? I'd call that a part time percentage.

Reynolds on
    uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    Mc zanyMc zany Registered User regular
    edited October 2021
    It's not entirely true that WWE is too big to fail. They will eventually not have any of the huge names that have carried them left, and no one is gonna be tuning in in 20 years for a special Crown Jewel main event featuring the return of Roman Reigns, no matter how much WWE believes that is true. And people are already souring on WWE doing this, re Goldberg.

I think WWE's biggest problem is that their biggest supporters were teenagers during the atitude era, eventually they will age out and the next biggest group (the John Cena posse) are not big to support the company by themselves.

Mc zany on
  • Options
    CelloCello Registered User regular
    The one good thing Punk has done so far at AEW was apparently ShopAEW tweeted about purchases this month going to Susan G. Komen; Punk said "no" and they uh immediately decided to find a better organization to support and deleted the tweet

https://wrestletalk.com/news/fans-criticise-aew-susan-g-komen/

So, big fan of that, fuck that org

Steam
    3DS Friend Code: 0216-0898-6512
    Switch Friend Code: SW-7437-1538-7786
  • Options
    Amazed the Komen thing made it that far. Someone there had to have known they'd get roasted for it.

This discussion has been closed.