As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Battletech] New KS - 23 Mar!

• ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    The Griffin is special to me because discovering its very bad minimum range issue led me to falling in love with LLs and MRMs

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • NipsNips He/Him Luxuriating in existential crisis.Registered User regular
    Your "CapnNips Approved" content for the day: I had to change resins on my 3D printer, so I'm dialing it in with Fresh Stompybots; Syllogy's MWO Blackjack on the left, CGL on the right:

GuXIj8Mh.jpg

*chef's kiss*

And now, a question for the lore nerds:
    I've got line items in my Units list for Chloe's Cavaliers and Jake Kalmar's pirate crew. The Cavs are the unit that, before they became Nik's Cavaliers in MW5, were sent to hunt down Jake and his lostech Ravager Corsair. I'm trying to figure out what both sides of this fight might have brought, and here's all I know:

Cavaliers: Wolverine, Phoenix Hawk

Kalmar's Crew: Corsair, Trebuchet

Does anyone know of any other confirmed or noted 'Mechs in either unit? If not, what do you think might go well in either? Keeping in mind, we know the Cavs were sporting SLDF-tech at least in the P.Hawk, so if they were supplied by ComStar by way of Interstellar Expeditions, it's possible they were packing more.

JXUBxMxP0QndjQUEnTwTxOkfKmx8kWNvuc-FUtbSz_23_DAhGKe7W9spFKLXAtkpTBqM8Dt6kQrv-rS69Hi3FheL3fays2xTeVUvWR7g5UyLHnFA0frGk1BC12GYdOSRn9lbaJB-uH0htiLPJMrc9cSRsIgk5Dx7jg9K8rJVfG43lkeAWxTgcolNscW9KO2UZjKT8GMbYAFgFvu2TaMoLH8LBA5p2pm6VNYRsQK3QGjCsze1TOv2yIbCazmDwCHmjiQxNDf6LHP35msyiXo3CxuWs9Y8DQvJjvj10kWaspRNlWHKjS5w9Y0KLuIkhQKOxgaDziG290v4zBmTi-i7OfDz-foqIqKzC9wTbn9i_uU87GRitmrNAJdzRRsaTW5VQu_XX_5gCN8XCoNyu5RWWVGTsjJuyezz1_NpFa903Uj2TnFqnL1wJ-RZiFAAd2Bdut-G1pdQtdQihsq2dx_BjtmtGC3KZRyylO1t2c12dhfb0rStq4v8pg46ciOcdtT_1qm85IgUmGd7AmgLxCFPb0xnxWZvr26G-oXSqrQdjKA1zNIInSowiHcbUO2O8S5LRJVR6vQiEg0fbGXw4vqJYEn917tnzHMh8r0xom8BLKMvoFDelk6wbEeNq8w8Eyu2ouGjEMIvvJcb2az2AKQ1uE_7gdatfKG2QdvfdSBRSc35MQ=w498-h80-no
  • NobodyNobody Registered User regular
    So PGI kinda goofed up the backstory on the Ravager, not sure how or why the Cavaliers went back to being Chloe’s and not Nik’s between 3015 and 3037.

Technically you’re open on what mechs you can field, but if you wanted to be cheeky you could run a Nightstar.

• McGibsMcGibs TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited October 2021
    Crossposting my Atlas from the painting thread because I'm pretty chuffed with how he turned out. Some slight printlines if you get real close, but a lot less panel lines than some of the CGS mechs!
    BT_atlas.jpg

McGibs on
    website_header.jpg
  • HydroSqueegeeHydroSqueegee ULTRACAT!!!™®© Registered User regular
    some 'slight' print lines? pfft. may as well throw it in the trash. i'll take that out for you. no need to get up.

kx3klFE.png
  • AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    Random questions.

For those of you who have hung up the posters in frames, what frames you recommend? Cause man, they are either expensive or cheap in both senses from what I can tell.

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    Axen wrote: »
    Random questions.

For those of you who have hung up the posters in frames, what frames you recommend? Cause man, they are either expensive or cheap in both senses from what I can tell.

Context - my wife used to be a framing manager at Michael's arts & crafts (like an AC Moore or a Hobby Lobby).

She didn't think it'd be worth doing any special mounting because the posters were folded (I am, genuinely, extremely salty about this), so I'll probably just get something relatively cheap. It's a $3 poster, and it's creased. So that unfortunately puts it firmly in the "probably don't bother spending much" category for me.

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    I tried to find whatever frame I bought, but I think I bought it in a larger order for other frames. I bought a fairly nice one and while you can still barely see the creases, I don't mind because I'm never getting a sweet Timber Wolf piece of art otherwise and it displays nicely.

What is this I don't even.
  • HydroSqueegeeHydroSqueegee ULTRACAT!!!™®© Registered User regular
    i'll probably just get whatever cheap frame Ikea has next time im down that way. How big are these posters anyway?

kx3klFE.png
    @McGibs
    It's so funny the timing you posted that, because I just printed off a Chonky Boi of my own, and was going to be like "Hey look at this Chonky Boi, isn't he cute?" and then you blew up the place. Which is great! I want to see more!

But anyway! Here's more Chonky Bois, in Chocolate and Vanilla flavors:
    2VuWwk6h.jpg

Not gonna lie, with the scaling of the new CGL plastics, these boys are Absolute Units. I'm actually a little afraid to put them side-by-side with the old sculpt Atlas, because I'm sure they'll make Mvrck's ride look like a damn shrimp by comparison.

J6ZLERjh.jpg

JXUBxMxP0QndjQUEnTwTxOkfKmx8kWNvuc-FUtbSz_23_DAhGKe7W9spFKLXAtkpTBqM8Dt6kQrv-rS69Hi3FheL3fays2xTeVUvWR7g5UyLHnFA0frGk1BC12GYdOSRn9lbaJB-uH0htiLPJMrc9cSRsIgk5Dx7jg9K8rJVfG43lkeAWxTgcolNscW9KO2UZjKT8GMbYAFgFvu2TaMoLH8LBA5p2pm6VNYRsQK3QGjCsze1TOv2yIbCazmDwCHmjiQxNDf6LHP35msyiXo3CxuWs9Y8DQvJjvj10kWaspRNlWHKjS5w9Y0KLuIkhQKOxgaDziG290v4zBmTi-i7OfDz-foqIqKzC9wTbn9i_uU87GRitmrNAJdzRRsaTW5VQu_XX_5gCN8XCoNyu5RWWVGTsjJuyezz1_NpFa903Uj2TnFqnL1wJ-RZiFAAd2Bdut-G1pdQtdQihsq2dx_BjtmtGC3KZRyylO1t2c12dhfb0rStq4v8pg46ciOcdtT_1qm85IgUmGd7AmgLxCFPb0xnxWZvr26G-oXSqrQdjKA1zNIInSowiHcbUO2O8S5LRJVR6vQiEg0fbGXw4vqJYEn917tnzHMh8r0xom8BLKMvoFDelk6wbEeNq8w8Eyu2ouGjEMIvvJcb2az2AKQ1uE_7gdatfKG2QdvfdSBRSc35MQ=w498-h80-no
    I am a little disappointed in the CGS atlas when compared to the intimidating brick craphouse of the PGI lad. I suppose he is closer to the goofy football star of the original though.

"Papa, what's wrong with that Atlas's face?"
    "Don't stare son. It's impolite."
    6o9i0qb9h6x8.jpg

website_header.jpg
  • BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    Nips wrote: »
    @McGibs
    It's so funny the timing you posted that, because I just printed off a Chonky Boi of my own, and was going to be like "Hey look at this Chonky Boi, isn't he cute?" and then you blew up the place. Which is great! I want to see more!

2VuWwk6h.jpg

Not gonna lie, with the scaling of the new CGL plastics, these boys are Absolute Units. I'm actually a little afraid to put them side-by-side with the old sculpt Atlas, because I'm sure they'll make Mvrck's ride look like a damn shrimp by comparison.

J6ZLERjh.jpg

*Stares intensely at the Urbanmech in the photo.*

What? Oh, there are Atlas in this post as well?

oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
    Betsuni wrote: »
    @McGibs

2VuWwk6h.jpg

J6ZLERjh.jpg

*Stares intensely at the Urbanmech in the photo.*

What? Oh, there are Atlas in this post as well?

Oh, hah hah ha, you noticed that...
    *nervously shuffles papers out of view*

• IanatorIanator Gaze upon my works, ye mighty and facepalm.Registered User regular
    Grinder?

Grinder.

LcszsXJ.jpg

Grinder!

Ran this very special Alpha Strike session today. Jump in with a mech of 20 points or less. Each time you get wrecked, take a turn off before coming in with an additional 10 points (So 20, 30, 40, 50 and so on).

The result was quite fun, and a pleasant surprise that I actually had three other people to play with today!

steam_sig.png
    Twitch | Blizzard: Ianator#1479 | 3DS: Ianator - 1779 2336 5317 | FFXIV: Iana Ateliere (NA Sarg)
    Backlog Challenge List
  • NoughtNought Registered User regular
    How much do everyone else clean up the mechs before starting to paint?

I noticed some moldlines that I felt was noticeble, but I'm not sure if it's better to leave them rather that risk cleaning away details?

On fire
    Island. Being on fire.
  • DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    Had a Battletech (MechWarrior, technically, I suppose) dream last night.

I was in a Commando doing a raid and there was a Warhammer and Cataphract still in their parking spots so I splashed the cockpits with medium lasers, followed up by melee to crumple them to make them unusable but salvageable.

For some reason I chose the Cataphract over the Warhammer, but I didn't finish the dream so I'm not sure how I outfitted it.

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    Nought wrote: »

I noticed some moldlines that I felt was noticeble, but I'm not sure if it's better to leave them rather that risk cleaning away details?

It's a really good habit to remove those lines and almost necessary if you're going to do any dry brushing.

What is this I don't even.
    Darkewolfe wrote: »
    Nought wrote: »

It's a really good habit to remove those lines and almost necessary if you're going to do any dry brushing.

And if you use a good clean, fresh blade and take your time, you probably won't lose any detail.

edited October 2021
    Okay, so I know most of us are still in the post-Kickstarter refractory period, swimming in more 'mechs than we know what to do with. But I thought I'd mention that one of the larger east-coast retailers just got in a big shipment of stuff, and *as of this second* hasn't yet sold out.

So if you're looking for more, at reasonably sane prices, here you go.

https://www.gamesandstuffonline.com/search?options[prefix]=last&q=battletech

Also, I take this that either 1) some big ships finally came in, or less likely 2) the shipping situation has at least eased a smidgen, either of which is a good sign.

Nips on
    Okay, so I know most of us are still in the post-Kickstarter refractory period, swimming in more 'mechs than we know what to do with. But I thought I'd mention that one of the larger east-coast retailers just got in a big shipment of stuff, and *as of this second* hasn't yet sold out.

So if you're looking for more, at reasonably sane prices, here you go.

https://www.gamesandstuffonline.com/search?options[prefix]=last&q=battletech

Also, I take this that either 1) some big ships finally came in, or less likely 2) the shipping situation has at least eased a smidgen, either of which is a good sign.

@Nips

Why do you hate my wallet? What has it ever done to deserve such hostility? Or is your heart just black by nature?

The true answer, many hours later, is that I have a deep-rooted brain disease, and the only way I can keep it at bay is by having everyone else buy all the things so I cannot.

And given the $Whoops I just spent on another small pile of packs, it has clearly been proven to me that the rest of you cannot be trusted to keep me from doing bad things!

• ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    Mine should be arriving today! :D

Oh God, my boss gave me a raise and a bonus today.

Jesus Christ, alright fine I can take a hint!

edited October 2021
    Axen wrote: »
    Oh God, my boss gave me a raise and a bonus dropship of mechs today.

Jesus Christ, alright fine I can take a hint!

The universe has spoken and you listened.

Betsuni on
    oosik_betsuni.png
  • ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    Il est arrivé!

For anyone that cares!

CGL has put up the first run of Stormcrow-TC premium models in their web store.

I imagine they won't last more than an hour or two, given how the Black Knight (still out of stock!) went on its launch day.

Also, they're selling the Tukkayid Salvage Packs they had at the conventions this summer/fall, containing a pile of offcast bits from the Creative Juggernaut production lines at $10 a pop.

I may have just made another $Whoops.

Guess I should have bet the over, because it looks like the Stormcrow TC kits are still available three hours later! Good sign of supply progress from Creative Juggernaut.

• Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    edited October 2021
    -

Phoenix-D on
    edited October 2021
    Guess I should have bet the over, because it looks like the Stormcrow TC kits are still available three hours later! Good sign of supply progress from Creative Juggernaut.

Darn you... That Stormcrow is tempting me since it looks like my LB20X build I run for the laughs in MWO. I hate to see the shipping for one unit though.

Edit: Forgot to add that it is still in stock as of this post. Over 7 hours later.

Betsuni on
    oosik_betsuni.png

Darn you... That Stormcrow is tempting me since it looks like my LB20X build I run for the laughs in MWO. I hate to see the shipping for one unit though.

Edit: Forgot to add that it is still in stock as of this post. Over 7 hours later.

Listen. I'm about to land four bags of Tukayyid parts. It might take some cleanup, but if I can't assemble you something out of that then I've made a terrible, terrible mistake.

And I'm super impressed the stock of the 'Crow has held up this long. Even limiting it to one per customer, I fully expected it to have sold through by late this afternoon.

Wait, what are Tukayyid parts? I need to look at those when I'm more aware what I'm doing.

Fake Edit: I put in a ton of pre-orders for a bunch of Star Wars and Transformers stuff today.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • see317see317 Registered User regular
    Wait, what are Tukayyid parts? I need to look at those when I'm more aware what I'm doing.

Fake Edit: I put in a ton of pre-orders for a bunch of Star Wars and Transformers stuff today.

Looks like the Tukayyid salvage bags are bags of ~10 mech bits that didn't pass QA. Miscasts and the like.

Painting some more 3d printed mechs! A Crab and a Hunchback.
    BT_crab.jpg

BT_hunchback.jpg

website_header.jpg
    edited October 2021
    @McGibs What are you using for your antenna wire?

Also those decals on both, and the pattern on the Crab, are tastefully sexy.

Nips on
    toothbrush bristles!
    saw somone post on a facebook group and it works a charm. durable and flexible, unlike wire or rod

website_header.jpg
    McGibs wrote: »
    toothbrush bristles!
    saw somone post on a facebook group and it works a charm. durable and flexible, unlike wire or rod

(Probably in the same FB groups I'm in. I've seen you there!)

Okay, cool. I'm about thirty hobby-time seconds away from trying this, and was wondering how well they take paint, or if you even paint them at all.

Mine took paint just fine, not even primed. Acrylic is flexible.
    Unless you can find black bristled toothbrushes out there...

website_header.jpg
  • see317see317 Registered User regular
    McGibs wrote: »
    Mine took paint just fine, not even primed. Acrylic is flexible.
    Unless you can find black bristled toothbrushes out there...

Could probably find black bristled hair brushes that'd work. The black bristled toothbrushes I've found tend to be pricy for toothbrushes.
    But then, we dropped a heavy chunk of change on tiny stompy bots, what's another 7-8 bucks for a life time supply of scale whip antennae?