As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Movies! Chris Pratt to voice Shai-Hulud in Dune part 2

• Options
    cursedkingcursedking Registered User regular
    I actually just recently watched a clip of I Love Lucy the other day because I was explaining to someone why I will always think SPEEEEEED IT UP A LITTLE when I'm waiting on something.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NkQ58I53mjk

For whatever reason, Nick at Nite or whatever would use that clip, specifically the SPPEEEED IT UP A LITTLE on like, commercial bumpers and it's lived in my head to this day.

Types: Boom + Robo | Food: Sweet | Habitat: Plains
  • Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    There aren’t a ton of bits from 70 year old tv shows that still hold up as well today as when they aired, but man, you’d be hard pressed to script and perform a better scene than that one. It’s still just goddamn perfect.

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KY3eOtJwOhE

Turns out this still fuckin' kills me

God, her timing. Absolutely unmatched.

• Options
    cursedkingcursedking Registered User regular
    edited October 2021
    i'm 36 years old and "Do you pop out at parties? Are you unpoopular?" still kills me as much as it did when i was 7

cursedking on
    Types: Boom + Robo | Food: Sweet | Habitat: Plains
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    sarukun wrote: »
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QT544Y0yhIg

I wish I could be surprised that "What if Lucille Ball got the type of Aaron Sorkin monologues normally reserved for dudes" was the first taste of this movie

Anyway I'm sure it'll be fine and not at all drive me out of my goddamn mind

I hope it's good.

I Love Lucy was literally the only thing not on Univision that I could turn on and see a Cuban on American television.

It was a big part of my childhood, and it was dope not only to see a woman with her own show, but a woman married to an immigrant from my family's part of the world.

It is very specifically my affection for I Love Lucy that makes me so... Apprehensive about Aaron Sorkin being at the helm

[Thomas Sadoski voice]

"We loved Lucy."

• Options
    JuggernutJuggernut Registered User regular
    I'm having a hard time picturing Javier Bardem, who is absolutely excellent don't get me wrong, playing Desi Arnez. Javier seems too rugged? Like, Desi Arnez had a real manic, uptempo energy and his rapid fire falsetto, I just don't see Javier Bardem matching that. Nicole Kidman I dunno, the one shot we actually se her face is a recreation of a scene from the show and for that 1.3 seconds she absolutely looks like Lucille Ball. But then they never show her again. My guess is maybe because that's the only shot she looks even close to Lucille Ball.

J.K Simmons as William Frawley, however is about spot on.

• Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    javier bardem is some very weird casting, yeah

• Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    I had it in my head that Desi Arnaz was a little guy, but it turns out he was actually 5' 10" and I just continue to have a terrible sense of how tall anybody is literally ever

• Options
    Snake GandhiSnake Gandhi Des Moines, IARegistered User regular
    I had it in my head that Desi Arnaz was a little guy, but it turns out he was actually 5' 10" and I just continue to have a terrible sense of how tall anybody is literally ever
    It doesn’t help when every women in older media is wearing heels. As are some of the dudes.

• Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    I never watched I Love Lucy much, but when I was a kid and my grandparents would babysit me, they had this tape of The Best of the Danny Kaye Show that had this one bit with Lucy that I love

https://youtu.be/wKIE79A29Zs

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    I’ve read Dune a couple times and seen the original movie but I’m not a Dune fan per se. I’ll watch the new movie if it’s good but….can I just say…

Oscar Isaac can Poe my Dameron any day of the week.

• Options
    FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    I’m making a list

So far I have

Pooro’s Quidditch movie The Chaser
    Forgotten
    #Alive
    Time to Hunt
    Minari
    The Good, The Bad, The Weird

Open to suggestions but only movies I haven’t seen so don’t say Oldboy or anything by Bong Joon-Ho

The Man from Nowhere?
    Burning?

X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Fishman wrote: »
    I’m making a list

So far I have

Forgotten
    #Alive
    Time to Hunt
    Minari

Open to suggestions but only movies I haven’t seen so don’t say Oldboy or anything by Bong Joon-Ho

The Man from Nowhere?
    Burning?

Both got added in my second round!

• Options
    KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    I’m making a list

So far I have

Forgotten
    #Alive
    Time to Hunt
    Minari

The Man from Nowhere?
    Burning?

The Thieves
    I Saw the Devil

• Options
    Ketar wrote: »
    I’m making a list

So far I have

Forgotten
    #Alive
    Time to Hunt
    Minari

The Man from Nowhere?
    Burning?

The Thieves
    I Saw the Devil

The Thieves I will add.

I’ve seen I Saw the Devil

• Options
    I had never seen the 2019 Black Christmas until now

They are NOT subtle about the message at all

• Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    Man, got thinking about Frank Miller's Martha Washington and that'd be a good movie/tv adaptation.

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Gvzbgul wrote: »
    Man, got thinking about Frank Miller's Martha Washington and that'd be a good movie/tv adaptation.

I am going to assume this is a different Frank Miller, because the idea of that Frank Miller's Martha Washington made me shudder

• Options
    GR_ZombieGR_Zombie Krillin It Registered User regular
    Frank Miller should be banished to the void.

04xkcuvaav19.png
  • Options
    It is the same. But I think a Netflix adaption would be p cool.

• Options
    Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    Gvzbgul wrote: »

I am going to assume this is a different Frank Miller, because the idea of that Frank Miller's Martha Washington made me shudder

The frank miller who did holy terror and asbar is the same frank miller of Ronin and Martha Washington

• Options
    Oh! Sorry! I forgot there is a real historical Martha Washington. Maybe I should do a explainer.
    6355500.jpg
    This is Martha Washington. She was the main character of a series of comics chronicling her life in the 21st century. She fights in the Civil War 2, takes down the govt, goes to space and meets aliens. She's rad and think and adaption would be cool because the original series is very short and could do with fleshing out. I remembered the comic while reading another book and thought it'd be neat one to adapt.

• Options
    Snake GandhiSnake Gandhi Des Moines, IARegistered User regular
    FYI Frank Miller has since come around and said that the shit he was doing was because his life and health were in a dark place and that he regrets a lot of that.

Like, people joked about him catching a brain eating virus, but it’s almost true.

• Options
    GR_ZombieGR_Zombie Krillin It Registered User regular
    FYI Frank Miller has since come around and said that the shit he was doing was because his life and health were in a dark place and that he regrets a lot of that.

Like, people joked about him catching a brain eating virus, but it’s almost true.

All that says to me is that the old white man is starting to worry about his legacy, and is trying to pretend he’s learned something. Miller has always been misogynistic and racist in his writing, not to mention his fashy leanings.

04xkcuvaav19.png
  • Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    GR_Zombie wrote: »

All that says to me is that the old white man is starting to worry about his legacy, and is trying to pretend he’s learned something. Miller has always been misogynistic and racist in his writing, not to mention his fashy leanings.

I'm not quite so uncharitable, but I'd need to see exactly what he said and exactly how he said it for me to believe Frank Miller of all fucking people regrets his hyper-conservative macho posturing bullshit

signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    I don't know... if there's one thing comic movies don't need, it's another character named Martha

• Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    KalTorak wrote: »
    I don't know... if there's one thing comic movies don't need, it's another character named Martha

Why did you say that name?!

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular

This one took me longer to figure out than I care to admit.

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular

This one took me longer to figure out than I care to admit.

Nice of Candyman to hit the post button though.
    Seems like he takes after Candlejac...

• Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    So Night Teeth (Netflix) is literally a Vampire: The Masquerade movie but all the licensed names filed off. It's not bad, but could have been a lot better (weak ending, but ended well enough I suppose).

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    GrisloGrislo Registered User regular

Whatever other flaws it may have, I kinda liked that it was very clear about what it wanted to say / do with the genre.

This post was sponsored by Tom Cruise.
  • Options
    Grislo wrote: »

Whatever other flaws it may have, I kinda liked that it was very clear about what it wanted to say / do with the genre.

I didn’t hate it. It was a decent movie.

• Options
    I lined up a bunch of random horror movies on Hulu to watch at work the next 2 days.

Today I’m starting with Trick.

• Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    The Medium (On Shudder) is fantastic and billed as a "Thai / Korean" horror movie. I won't say anything else but it's good.

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    I’m guessing 3/4 of these movies are not going to be good.

That’s the fun of it though! You never know!

So far Trick is falling into the “eh, it’s ok” movie range

• Options
    Credit to Trick for having Tom Atkins in it

• Options
    rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    Uncharted trailer dropped, surprised it hasn’t shown up here yet.

It looks pretty fun. I think I’d prefer an older drake/sully story but I’m a sucker for globetrotting adventure/treasure hunts so I’ll check it out.

• Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    I finally started playing through the series so I’m mildly interested, but so far not interested enough to watch Mark Wahlberg

• Options
    ChallChall Registered User regular
    edited October 2021
    I thought it looked fun, maybe just because of Tom Holland.

Shame about Mark Wahlberg being in it though.

Chall on
  • Options
    Even if he wasn’t a shit person Mark Wahlberg was terrible casting for Sully

This discussion has been closed.