As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

X-Pac and Jerry Lynn Appreciation Thread [Wrestling]

• bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular
    edited October 2021
    Reynolds wrote: »
    He's been there for two months and has wrestled four times (and won all four matches).

AEW has, what, four shows a week plus a PPV every 2-3 months? I'd call that a part time percentage.

Kenny and Sammy has the same number of matches
    Starks and Cody have had two
    Andrade has had 3

Are they all part time too?

bloodyroarxx on
  • AlphaRomeroAlphaRomero Registered User regular
    He's been there for two months and has wrestled four times (and won all four matches).

AEW has, what, four shows a week plus a PPV every 2-3 months? I'd call that a part time percentage.

He's on a bunch, just on commentary, and he's pushing angles during that. He's not just turning up for the PPV match and otherwise disappearing.

• MatevMatev Cero Miedo Registered User regular
    Yah, AEW's issue isn't that it's just part-timers wrestling, it's that their roster is silly stacked so they have people show up when they need to advance a story, not just to poochy a show necessarily, least from how I've been watching things.

"Go down, kick ass, and set yourselves up as gods, that's our Prime Directive!"
    Hail Hydra
  • ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    It's very funny, because if we just removed the names from the data people would be assuming it was HBK or Goldberg or whatever and rightly complaining. You would not be bending over backwards to justify HHH on commentary.

uyvfOQy.png
  • MatevMatev Cero Miedo Registered User regular
    edited October 2021
    It's very funny, because if we just removed the names from the data people would be assuming it was HBK or Goldberg or whatever and rightly complaining. You would not be bending over backwards to justify HHH on commentary.

If HHH could work the commentary table well and was doing it on a regular basis and putting over young new talent in the company, maybe I would.

Matev on
    "Go down, kick ass, and set yourselves up as gods, that's our Prime Directive!"
    Hail Hydra
    Let me know when Punk loses a match and starts doing that, then.

uyvfOQy.png
  • CelloCello Registered User regular
    Amazed the Komen thing made it that far. Someone there had to have known they'd get roasted for it.

One of my local wrestling pals suggested it might have had to do with the Jaguars; the NFL is deep into the Komen charitable shit, and so it was probably just easy to hop in on that while not being cognizant of the organization's issues

Steam
    3DS Friend Code: 0216-0898-6512
    Switch Friend Code: SW-7437-1538-7786
  • MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular

Putting over other wrestlers doesn't always mean losing to them. I remember Bret Hart winning matches but making his opponent's look really strong in the process. The most obvious example is Bret vs 123 Kid.

I'd say Punk, even while winning, has made his opponent's look really good so far.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • burboburbo Registered User regular
    I think every single person that Punk has wrestled in AEW to this point was elevated by being in the ring with him. Its the probably biggest match any of them have ever had, at least in terms of eye balls and attention.

The HHH point is silly. The point isn't that old guys shouldnt be on tv. Its that boring, crappy guys shouldn't be on tv. Punk hasn't been boring or crappy yet.

• astrobstrdastrobstrd So full of mercy... Registered User regular
    I will eat my hat if this story doesn't end with Punk putting someone over and that person immediately jumping up the card as a result. I have issues with Punk and AEW, but they've been handling him about as well as I could imagine.

Selling the Scream Podcast: https://anchor.fm/jeremy-donaldson
    astrobstrd wrote: »
    I will eat my hat if this story doesn't end with Punk putting someone over and that person immediately jumping up the card as a result. I have issues with Punk and AEW, but they've been handling him about as well as I could imagine.

Send Hook

That is all

• CelloCello Registered User regular
    astrobstrd wrote: »

Send Hook

That is all

Sorry, who

Do you mean HOOK

Steam
    3DS Friend Code: 0216-0898-6512
    Switch Friend Code: SW-7437-1538-7786
  • LockedOnTargetLockedOnTarget Registered User regular

When people complain about part timers, it’s more about not being around at all than having lots of matches.

Punk is consistently traveling with the company and doing things every week. Not showing up once or twice every two months.

Hell, he wrestles more than MJF does.

edited October 2021
    burbo wrote: »
    I think every single person that Punk has wrestled in AEW to this point was elevated by being in the ring with him. Its the probably biggest match any of them have ever had, at least in terms of eye balls and attention.

The HHH point is silly. The point isn't that old guys shouldnt be on tv. Its that boring, crappy guys shouldn't be on tv. Punk hasn't been boring or crappy yet.

I'm sure the guy that calls himself the Best In The World will move out of the way once he's past his prime to make way for newer, younger wrestlers. Just like Bret, HHH, Jericho...wait...actually, that never happens.

Reynolds on
    uyvfOQy.png
  • MagellMagell Detroit Machine Guns Fort MyersRegistered User regular
    I thought Hobbs would have been a decent choice to beat Punk with some interference, but that would have taken away from Hook winning his debut match against Punk.

• Andy JoeAndy Joe We claim the land for the highlord! The AdirondacksRegistered User regular

I'm sure the guy that calls himself the Best In The World will move out of the way once he's past his prime to make way for newer, younger wrestlers. Just like Bret, HHH, Jericho...wait...actually, that never happens.

Bret Hart is not someone I ever thought I would see being accused of wrestling way past his prime.

XBL: Stealth Crane PSN: ajpet12 3DS: 1160-9999-5810 NNID: StealthCrane Pokemon Scarlet Name: Carmen
    Jericho has helped build and put over tons of young guys in AEW what the hell are you talking about?

• never dienever die Registered User regular
    MNC Dover wrote: »

Putting over other wrestlers doesn't always mean losing to them. I remember Bret Hart winning matches but making his opponent's look really strong in the process. The most obvious example is Bret vs 123 Kid.

I'd say Punk, even while winning, has made his opponent's look really good so far.

Or to use Bret Hart again, Bret Hart vs Steve Austin. The match that solidified Austin as a main event talent.

• hailtothekalehailtothekale Registered User regular

I'm not gonna post it directly, you can easily find it on their twitter. It sure is something, though.

Obviously, I'm pretty damn excited for Slamtasia 7 - The Big Dumb Block Party this weekend!

AEW retweeted their Pink shirts tweet without the mentioned of Komen but fail to mention who the proceeds are going to

edited October 2021
    AEW retweeted their Pink shirts tweet without the mentioned of Komen but fail to mention who the proceeds are going to

I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt on this, assuming they are in fact finding a new partner. It's not easy to finalize a whole new corporate backed charity partnership in a couple hours.

hailtothekale on

So, what are you arguing here? That all wrestlers end up sucking so you should cut your legends in their prime? That a wrestler calling himself Best in the World is a sign of poor character? I honestly don't follow what you're getting at.

• JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    at this point we must begin to question if Reynolds has seen AEW at all, especially with the Jericho comment, as if Jericho hasn't spent the entire past year propping up MJF and Orange Cassidy with huge multi-month feuds

I've said plenty of times that I don't/can't watch AEW. I don't even watch WWE, although I've got a free Peacock trial so I guess I'll check in on the next PPV or two.

uyvfOQy.png
    So, not having watched, your main thing is just "fuck CM Punk", and the reasoning comes later? If so, i can respect that. We're all entitled to the guys/gals we inexplicably love and the ones we unaccountably hate. Its wrestling after all, its most of the fun of it.

• PwnanObrienPwnanObrien He's right, life sucks. Registered User regular
    I've said plenty of times that I don't/can't watch AEW. I don't even watch WWE, although I've got a free Peacock trial so I guess I'll check in on the next PPV or two.

You know, I almost want to tell you to pump the breaks on this but the Crown Jewel card actually looks good for once and the King of the Ring stuff will actually mean one of those matches will have any importance at all in continuity with the rest of the product.

...but then again it's a Saudi show so fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck that. I'm not watching a three hour propaganda campaign for king shitburger's totalitarian monarchy now with rights for women.*

*Card subject to change. Actual rights may vary.

Mwx884o.jpg
    Crown Jewel brought us Best Wrestler in the World Shane McMahon, so I can't entirely hate it. Also, I'm not paying for it, so that makes it feel a little better.

uyvfOQy.png
  • LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    It's not entirely true that WWE is too big to fail. They will eventually not have any of the huge names that have carried them left, and no one is gonna be tuning in in 20 years for a special Crown Jewel main event featuring the return of Roman Reigns, no matter how much WWE believes that is true. And people are already souring on WWE doing this, re Goldberg.

Eh, if Roman can maintain his current trajectory, then some folks might.

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Dyvim TvarDyvim Tvar Registered User regular

I'm not gonna post it directly, you can easily find it on their twitter. It sure is something, though.

Obviously, I'm pretty damn excited for Slamtasia 7 - The Big Dumb Block Party this weekend!

I saw the Mickie Knuckles promo and was like "well this is bad, but at least Eddie's response should make it all worthwhile". And you know what? I was right, it definitely did.

Everyone is different. Everyone is special.
  • facetiousfacetious a wit so dry it shits sandRegistered User regular
    "I am not young enough to know everything." - Oscar Wilde
    Real strong, facetious.

Steam: Chagrin LoL: Bonhomie
  • Andy JoeAndy Joe We claim the land for the highlord! The AdirondacksRegistered User regular
    Gonna watch/play Escape the Undertaker tonight.

Know that if Big E or Xavier lose tomorrow it's entirely because I jinxed them with my choices.

XBL: Stealth Crane PSN: ajpet12 3DS: 1160-9999-5810 NNID: StealthCrane Pokemon Scarlet Name: Carmen
  • AzraithAzraith DON'T Registered User regular
    I desperately want Xavier to win this. He's put in so much work to get any kind of KOTR going, he's been so active on social media pushing it, getting people hype for it. Just something, anything, for the work he's been doing for the last few years. I hate this is how I think but I have this horrible feeling that's exactly why he's not gonna win, because it's what people want, and the WWE fucking hate giving people what they want. Even if that's irrational, that's how it's felt for the last forever amount of years I've watched the product. There's just this cold spitefulness that seems to run the decision making. Hope I'm wrong.

kgefLUA.png
    Steam Live: Azraith PSN: AzraithDeMitri

jfc these teams why not just give the money to the Sauna Dudes. Poor Brookes and Endo, they don't stand a chance.

That is a pretty powerful group from TJPW, though. Hikari Noa will especially be in her element, I hope she comes at Shunma with a baseball bat.

Still no word yet on what the structure of this match will be. My guess is it will be similar to Money in the Bag, with the prize hidden somewhere in the stadium and the teams fighting their way around to find it.

Azraith wrote: »
    I desperately want Xavier to win this. He's put in so much work to get any kind of KOTR going, he's been so active on social media pushing it, getting people hype for it. Just something, anything, for the work he's been doing for the last few years. I hate this is how I think but I have this horrible feeling that's exactly why he's not gonna win, because it's what people want, and the WWE fucking hate giving people what they want. Even if that's irrational, that's how it's felt for the last forever amount of years I've watched the product. There's just this cold spitefulness that seems to run the decision making. Hope I'm wrong.

Who wants to bet they've been telling Woods he'll win for months now, and five minutes before the match they change their minds?

uyvfOQy.png
  • AzraithAzraith DON'T Registered User regular
    Azraith wrote: »

Who wants to bet they've been telling Woods he'll win for months now, and five minutes before the match they change their minds?

I wouldn't want to assume that, but man it'd feel like the rug seriously being puled from under you after all of this. Like, this match is gonna own because both Xavier and Finn are fantastic talents, but damn let Woods get one.

kgefLUA.png
    Steam Live: Azraith PSN: AzraithDeMitri
  • DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    It'd be 100% in character for WWE to try and do a "surprise" ending where Finn wins instead, but also: they've given every indication that they love the New Day, getting squashed by Lesnar aside. Xavier seems like someone they want to keep happy.

• LasbrookLasbrook It takes a lot to make a stew When it comes to me and youRegistered User regular
    Finally watching Dynamite and how is the kissing adam cole thing I saw all over the internet and not Uno doing a mandible claw?

Xavier is someone they should absolutely want to keep happy if only because of the gaming/streaming brand he's built. WWE jumped on UpUpDownDown real quick and knew what they were doing.

• MagellMagell Detroit Machine Guns Fort MyersRegistered User regular
    DJ Eebs wrote: »
    It'd be 100% in character for WWE to try and do a "surprise" ending where Finn wins instead, but also: they've given every indication that they love the New Day, getting squashed by Lesnar aside. Xavier seems like someone they want to keep happy.

Except for Roman and Lesnar, Xavier would probably be able to make more money without WWE. He's got a lot of side hustles and devoted fans.

edited October 2021
    Lasbrook wrote: »
    Finally watching Dynamite and how is the kissing adam cole thing I saw all over the internet and not Uno doing a mandible claw?

Because wrestling fans are dumb and horny?

Edit: sorry folks, I bet on this being the top of the page and lost

hailtothekale on
This discussion has been closed.