As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Australian & NZ Politics: Double Dipping in Luxonry

• Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    It's a planned replacement for our current levels. It's an internal thing.

I guess from a behavioural point of view it could be an attempt at circumnavigating the issue of people not paying attention to the levels? If they bring in a new system maybe people will treat it as a new system and better adhere to the rules?

• Options
    AntoshkaAntoshka Miauen Oil Change LazarusRegistered User regular
    I haven't been paying much attention to the details, or the sketch of the details.

I thought the traffic light thing was for which countries could send visitors and how they go through MIQ or not?

It's the current system they're discussing to replace the alert level framework moving forward, which they haven't released details on, but assorted groups they're consulting with have released discussions already. Basically, there are no confirmed details yet, but main gist of system seems to be : limited use of lockdown / interruptions, assumption of high vaccination rates, and ability for it to be applied to limited populations.

But we'll see how it gets introduced on Friday.

n57PM0C.jpg
  • Options
    I think it'll go about as well as real traffic lights. Red means stop, green means go, and orange means drive as fast as you can. We see it already with Auckland. Stay at home means stay at home. Go shopping means go shopping. And have a outdoors picnic with limited amount of family and friends means meet as many people as you can regardless of whether it is indoors or out.

• Options
    exisexis Registered User regular
    edited October 2021
    Seems ass-backwards to me considering that 4 alert levels has proved insufficient. I do wonder if a 3-tier system would last or whether it would eventually get diluted down again with "Orange EX Alpha 2 (Z edition)" etc.

I guess the rationalisation might be that we are moving towards a new normal where this might be in place for years to come, and the system needs to be more intuitive. Green/red seem easily parsable, though I'd guess we'd end up with the same confusion around anything in between.

exis on
  • Options
    More than anything else, I'm guessing the introduction of a new system is meant to get it through people's heads that the current state of things is not meant to be the new normal, but we're still going to need people to react when we ask them to, so here's how we're going to be doing that. And also communicate to the much coddled business community that hard lockdowns are off the cards

n57PM0C.jpg
  • Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Gvzbgul wrote: »
    I think it'll go about as well as real traffic lights. Red means stop, green means go, and orange means drive as fast as you can. We see it already with Auckland. Stay at home means stay at home. Go shopping means go shopping. And have a outdoors picnic with limited amount of family and friends means meet as many people as you can regardless of whether it is indoors or out.

Don't forget the dry humping on a broken table tennis table.

So. Fucking. Angry.

• Options
    FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular

So. Fucking. Angry.

... okay, I clearly missed something.

X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • Options
    The influencer party i guess?

• Options
    edited October 2021
    Fishman wrote: »

So. Fucking. Angry.

... okay, I clearly missed something.

'influencer' party. I mean, really, group of people with Instagram / TikTok accounts, who were sufficiently bored by the actual party to, for some reason, clearly document it and post it online. Covered by the spinoff here:

https://thespinoff.co.nz/society/18-10-2021/a-review-of-the-north-shore-lockdown-party/

and by Stuff in the (hopefully start of) finding out phase, here:

https://i.stuff.co.nz/national/300432470/covid19-police-arrest-man-over-party-on-aucklands-north-shore

Edit: I should really refresh before posting.

Antoshka on
    n57PM0C.jpg
  • Options
    FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    Oh, yeah, my eyes glazed over and never read more than the headlines with a weary amount of 'shallow dumbfucks going to dumbfuck'.

X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • Options
    Mr RayMr Ray Sarcasm sphereRegistered User regular
    I'm kind of shocked that they're just going to throw everything open in Victoria so quickly; up until now they've been saying that being able to actually visit people in their homes wouldn't be till 80% but now it seems like they're saying "fuck it, anything goes".

• Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    It's kind of hard restricting parties when your neighbour has gone crazy and wants to just let anyone who wants in.

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    Mr Ray wrote: »
    I'm kind of shocked that they're just going to throw everything open in Victoria so quickly; up until now they've been saying that being able to actually visit people in their homes wouldn't be till 80% but now it seems like they're saying "fuck it, anything goes".

Thing is, they could have done this slower, and preferably before I went crazy.

Going from zero per week to ten a day just seems very rapid.

I would have killed to be able to spend some time with a friend or family the last couple months.

*checks freezer*

Yup. Would have, not did.

• Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited October 2021
    So ScoMo just blocked a vote to refer Christian Porter to the Privileges Committe to look into the blind trust that was used.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    VikingViking Registered User regular
    -Loki- wrote: »
    So ScoMo just blocked a vote to refer Christian Porter to the Privileges Committe to look into the blind trust that was used.

just your everyday corruption, nothing to see here....

steam_sig.png
    Bravely Default / 3DS Friend Code = 3394-3571-1609
  • Options
    plufimplufim Dr Registered User regular
    Well, to that end: here is SOME of today's evidence against Gladys Berheklian:

This is the same ICAC the federal LNP claim as going too far.

3DS 0302-0029-3193 NNID plufim steam plufim PSN plufim
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    -Loki- wrote: »

Being PM has it's...

privileges.

:cool:

• Options
    Triple digits today in NZ. Still not looking exponential yet tho. I know i do a lot of complaining (and theres definitely things to complain about) but we're actually doing well all things considered.

• Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Even knowing it was coming, take didn't make hearing the triple digits any better.

It's so hard

• Options
    Prime minister is currently addressing the nation on Covid management moving forward.

https://thespinoff.co.nz/politics/22-10-2021/how-covid-nz-traffic-light-system-works/

n57PM0C.jpg
  • Options
    Hmm
    Ardern said the vaccination certificates would allow businesses to be able to open and operate at any level.

I doubt that will happen. Going off what has happened overseas in places that have tried it this is what will happen:

1. No masks/social distancing for vaccinated
    2. Covid cases spike
    3. Everyone back to wearing masks and social distancing

Who knows, hopefully I'm wrong. Overseas examples have opened at lower vaccination and higher infection. So maybe our higher vax and lower cases will make it work.

• Options
    Get vaccinated.

Vaccine certificate will be opt in for hospitality industry, if they do opt in, can be open for business across all lights.

Retail do not need to use Vax Cert as public health measure will be in place. But obviously can if they need to.

Once All DHBs reach a 90% second dose rate, we will move into the framework.

Auckland is 16k shots away from hitting 90% first dose. Modelling suggests we can hit that 2nd dose rate by early Dec.
    If Auckland DHB hits that rate before the rest fo the country, Auckland can move into Framework Red.
    Hard border for Auckland will remain in place until the rest of the country moves out of Alert Levels and in Framework

Overall message: If you want to enjoy anything at all this summer with anybody else at all, Get the shot. And use the Vaccine Certificate.

Also there was apparently an earthquake mid conference

• Options
    Is... Is this hope?

n57PM0C.jpg
  • Options
    Oh and as soon as an area moves into Framework Red Light, Education goes back

So

Aucklanders who are hesitant

GET YOUR FUCKING SHOT SO YOUR KID CAN GO BACK TO SCHOOL FOR THE LOVE OF GOD

you know.

Is it hope?

I dunno. I'm running low on that particular emotion at the moment and am having a hard time recognizing.

On the other hand, my chest infection/pneumonia has finally cleared up and I can get my 2nd dose so. I'M HELPING!

• Options
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    plufim wrote: »

I’m so glad he’s my federal electorates member.

Oh wait, no, the other thing.

Embarrassed, that’s it.

• Options
    discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    edited October 2021
    Eh.
    We'd need to get some absurd amount of preferences to get rid of him.

Like we'd need over 75% of the vote to fall to not Liberal in order to get rid of Zed.
    Which might be doable?
    But it would be very hard.

discrider on
  • Options
    And already seen two ads on YouTube from the UAP bemoaning net zero 2050.
    Fuck off Clive

• Options
    discrider wrote: »
    Fuck off Clive

Isn't this the one true constant that all Australia can agree on?

n57PM0C.jpg
  • Options
    On that note, there's a private members bill in chain to try and stop Clive spamming our phones, by requiring Opt-Out options.
    Which is good, but not great.
    Would prefer people not have to figure out how to Opt-Out from a dodgy text message.
    Usually that just tells the spammer that your phone number has a person behind it, if it doesn't just redirect the receiver to a phishing page.
    Using the centralised "Do not call" register would be better.

• Options
    Antoshka wrote: »
    Fuck off Clive

Isn't this the one true constant that all Australia can agree on?

The UAP already has 70,000 members. Although they have been pretending Clive isn't in charge, for the most part, so they know he's not exactly well liked.

The UAP ad before this was... bizzare, which used a sky news interview with Clive to thread the narrative "the deal Clive did with Chinese mining companies is good, actually, and China is bad, actually". Presume this is because they want to use a fear of China for votes, but know Clive very publicly and loudly works with Chinese mining interests.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    plufim wrote: »
    Oh fuck OFF

Australian Liberal Party. Fellating US Republicans since 2001.

Thanks for giving credence to that bullshit, Scotty, you feckless shit.

Thankfully we aren't in a similar situation with regards voting access, but this is some bullshit, especially given voting is mandatory.

• Options
    So this is the deal is it
    Net zero for voting suppression

• Options
    Oh no, I expect the nats got some heinous shit promised to them for this net zero plan.

The plan of course, is all horseshit. For one thing, it requires DEPLOYMENT of carbon capture and storage by 2025! A technology that has been promised for decades and still doesn't work!

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    So this is the deal is it
    Net zero for voting suppression

That's phase 1. Phase 2 is then voluntary voting.

• Options
    The new NZ vaccine mandate seems kind of desperate. The govt has already made commitments that implied we were going to be implementing the traffic light system soon whether we have 90% or not. And with 87% vaccinated I feel like the vast majority of that 40% of workers will already be vaccinated anyway. I guess this is the govt attempting to wring out that last 3% they need to reach 90%.

• Options
    The new NZ vaccine mandate seems kind of desperate. The govt has already made commitments that implied we were going to be implementing the traffic light system soon whether we have 90% or not. And with 87% vaccinated I feel like the vast majority of that 40% of workers will already be vaccinated anyway. I guess this is the govt attempting to wring out that last 3% they need to reach 90%.

The mandate on business employees who are using the Certificates kind of just makes sense though - it was a massive loophole on what they were trying to ensure, otherwise.

I can totally see us moving without hitting their 90% target, though - at a certain point, enough of the population is just going to be demanding we move on. I'm hoping that point comes late enough that we can avoid most of the negative effects.

n57PM0C.jpg
  • Options
    I'm considering wandering around with a blow dart.

I missed the briefing yesterday

• Options
    exisexis Registered User regular
    2 cases in Christchurch this morning. From the same household, both unvaccinated. One tested negative in Auckland prior to travelling to Christchurch and testing positive.

I'm not up-to-date with all the planned restrictions under the traffic light system. Is there going to be any limit on access to air travel without being vaccinated? I guess that crosses into restricting people's right to freedom of movement. But it's frustrating that we are having unvaccinated people travelling from high to low alert level regions, given the ease of access to the vaccine at this point.