As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Potentially switching from Verizon FIOS to Xfinity - advice?

DrezDrez Registered User regular
I'm having trouble finding real info on how good Xfinity is in my area (I live in Jersey City, near NYC). Trying to google the question just results in Xfinity propaganda/advertisements or propaganda/advertisements from competitors.

I have a very stables and solid connection to the internet through FIOS Gigabit service. However, I don't get Gigabit service because of the way my building is wired. It's not wired for CAT5 or beyond into the individual units. It's only wired for COAX and you can't get high speeds with COAX. The workaround I worked out with Verizon was to rent a network extender from them and use from within my apartment to connect to my router which they've essentially taped to the wall of our electrical room where the ONT box is housed. It is completely stable with almost no down time. I get about 400-450 Mbps out of the 1 gigabit I currently pay for.

The problem is, it's bundled with TV and for which I am supposedly getting a deep discount. But I no longer want TV. For one thing, my roommate doesn't want to pay for the TV service since he doesn't use it (which I totally understand). For another thing, I almost never use it either. I typically just watch Streaming. The final reason is that I'm paying close to $180 for both TV and internet. Way too much to spend for at least one service I never used.

Xfinity - I can get for ~$80 on contract. I called Verizon yesterday and they told me the cheapest I can downgrade to from my current service is ~$135, and that's on a new contract. I could drop that down one peg further by changing my service to 400 Mbps but I'm worried about doing that. That would get the price to about $115.

But ultimately I need to save money. It's too much and if my roommate refuses to pay for TV, and I don't blame him, it's going to start costing me a much larger percentage of the ~$180 I currently pay.

I don't really want to switch off of FIOS because the stability of my current service is important and the fact that I can only get 400 Mbps is still good enough.

Any idea how I can figure out REALLY how stable Xfinity is in my town/neighborhood?

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar

• Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    I know you wanted to know about your specific area, but in Md I switched from xfinity to Fios. And it was better. Xfinity was fine, but when there was a problem calling customer service was a nightmare. I’ve only had one call about Fios and it was a regional outage. Now I’m guessing you are in an apartment that won’t let you change the wiring. If it’s a condo, do you use the landline. We had verizon switch our landline with cat 5. Other thought. Move to google mesh network as opposed to a Wi-Fi extender, it’s faster. According to research I had sent to my wife or you’ll be able to squeeze an extra 100-200 mbps out of it. My wife did not care. And we haven’t done that…yet.

• Options
    Hey, thanks for responding. No on the landline; I don't even subscribe to that service and don't want it. I'll look up Google Mesh. I think I'll keep FIOS but just go down to the 400 Mbps for now and no TV, so I restart my contract with that level of service and I can always bump it up again if my situation changes.

• Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    I'd recommend that you cancel the FIOS and re-register for the FIOS under a modified name or otherwise as a "new customer."

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    edited October 2021
    Drez wrote: »
    Hey, thanks for responding. No on the landline; I don't even subscribe to that service and don't want it. I'll look up Google Mesh. I think I'll keep FIOS but just go down to the 400 Mbps for now and no TV, so I restart my contract with that level of service and I can always bump it up again if my situation changes.

Sorry I didn’t explain it well. The telephone line to your unit. Have Verizon turn that from telephone to cat6 networking. With wall jack. They use the telephone wire as a pull string to pull network cable. It should run to the Verizon box.

If you have a condo it should be no problem. If it’s an apartment the apartment folks might have a problem with it.

zepherin on
  • Options
    PailryderPailryder Registered User regular
    here's what i tell people about xfinity in the two west/midwest area's i have lived. My internet rarely had problems and when it did it was usually resolved in a few hours. If i had to call or go into the store it was a nightmare. So overall because i handle most of my home networking myself i was mostly happy. i now have att fiber and the service and speed has been great but when it went down it was down for like 2 days.

• Options
    zepherin wrote: »
    Drez wrote: »

Sorry I didn’t explain it well. The telephone line to your unit. Have Verizon turn that from telephone to cat6 networking. With wall jack. They use the telephone wire as a pull string to pull network cable. It should run to the Verizon box.

If you have a condo it should be no problem. If it’s an apartment the apartment folks might have a problem with it.

Ah interesting.

I plan to move in July, so I think that might not be a good idea for right now.

• Options
    Pailryder wrote: »
    here's what i tell people about xfinity in the two west/midwest area's i have lived. My internet rarely had problems and when it did it was usually resolved in a few hours. If i had to call or go into the store it was a nightmare. So overall because i handle most of my home networking myself i was mostly happy. i now have att fiber and the service and speed has been great but when it went down it was down for like 2 days.

Interesting.

Literally I don't think my Verizon FIOS has gone down even temporarily in years which...maybe I'm just insanely lucky.

• Options
    TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular
    My experience with Comcast is that your bill will start at the advertised price and by a year later you'll be paying 15% more in hidden charges. In 3 years you'll be paying 200% your original monthly payment, or more. Every few months I found some delightful new reason why they were charging me an extra $5-10.

Since you have the option, you might be able to ride out the lower costs on their promotional plan, and then when they start to really jack up the prices when that promotional fee runs out, swap back to FIOS, repeat ad nauseam.

• Options
    Terrendos wrote: »
    My experience with Comcast is that your bill will start at the advertised price and by a year later you'll be paying 15% more in hidden charges. In 3 years you'll be paying 200% your original monthly payment, or more. Every few months I found some delightful new reason why they were charging me an extra $5-10.

Since you have the option, you might be able to ride out the lower costs on their promotional plan, and then when they start to really jack up the prices when that promotional fee runs out, swap back to FIOS, repeat ad nauseam.

oh yeah, you definitely have to be willing to call annually to get the reduced rate. Of course, i had to do this with ATT as well.

• Options
    Thanks for all the advice, everyone.

Gonna mull over my options over the next few days.

• Options
    TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular

oh yeah, you definitely have to be willing to call annually to get the reduced rate. Of course, i had to do this with ATT as well.

Never worked for me. I'd call and complain and they'd lie to me and say my bill would change next month, but they refused to give me any proof or any discount on the current bill. And of course, when the bill came next month it was the same story, and nobody had any record of getting me back on the promotional price.

I despise Comcast.

• Options

Never worked for me. I'd call and complain and they'd lie to me and say my bill would change next month, but they refused to give me any proof or any discount on the current bill. And of course, when the bill came next month it was the same story, and nobody had any record of getting me back on the promotional price.

I despise Comcast.

that really sucks and fundamentally is because we don't have good competition in so many areas. If comcast was the only high speed in town (and i don't consider any wireless high speed, although some places might) then yeah, their "saves" team will probably not help.

• Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    I have both Comcast and Verizon available. I swapped to Comcast at the end of 2019 and got Gigabit for $70/mo. It hasn't budged, but then again I'm in a contract.

At the end of the contract, I'll likely swap back to FiOS since I have the infrastructure for both.

I'm preparing for how I can convince Verizon I don't need their router and can connect my own to their fiber box in my basement.