As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Super Smash Bros. Ultimate

• Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    Lucina is an echo on Marth?

Like, she gets collapsed into Marth’s character slot, if you use that option for the character select menu.

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Enlong wrote: »
    Lucina is an echo on Marth?

Like, she gets collapsed into Marth’s character slot, if you use that option for the character select menu.

It's been a while since I paid attention and I may be conflating a few games rosters here...

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    edited October 2021
    Lucina's more fun to play as than Marth. No fiddly tipper mechanics*. If they had to cut one, I'd rather keep her than him. Ditto Daisy, who's a lot more lively and animated than Peach. Or Ken, who's always been more fun and cool than Ryu.

*Which never really made sense to me because his sword, the Falchion (which weirdly isn't a falchion), is not built specifically for thrusting like a rapier or an estoc. Depending on the art, it's either a longsword or knightly arming sword, and in either case which part of the sword you hit with wouldn't matter a whole lot as the sharpened edges typically ran almost the full length of the blade.

H3Knuckles on
    If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    Drascin wrote: »
    Cruor wrote: »
    Whelk wrote: »
    klemming wrote: »
    Name the characters they could use who don't use swords.
    Half points if they just use guns instead.

Captain Toad, Waluigi, King Boo, Eggman, Megaman X's Sigma, Domino's the Noid, any of the Fire Emblem dudes that use an Axe, a moogle, an F-Zero villain, Sub Zero, Scorpion, a Guilty Gear rep, that flying clown from Dreamcast, Diablo (much as I dislike Blizzard right now,) Lara Croft, there are thousands regardless of console, PC, whatever.

Sigma used a sword in the fight you have with him in Megaman X, and he also uses his sword in most of his moves in his appearance in Marvel vs Capcom Infinite. The Guilty Gear rep would 100% be Sol Badguy, noted anime swordboy.

Edit: The other most likely GG rep would be Ky Kiske, who is more anime and more sword than even Sol Badguy.

Yeah, the literal only two pòssibilities for a GG rep are Sol or Ky, and believe you me when I say that Ky would be WAY more Standard Swordsperson than the likes of Byleth or Robin.

Honestly speaking, the whole sameyness thing always felt overstated. Really, my only complaint on Fire Emblem characters is the Marths. Marth's not even a fun character as is, he's literally just Fair The Character 90% of the time, we don't need four Marths! Throw out the lot, keep Lucina as rep for the Marth squad because she's more or less literally Marth But From A Game People Actually Played.

But the nonclone FE squad is really quitesolid. Byleth is actually pretty fun to play, and while I can't play Corrin for balls, he's definitely unique.

I-No would be a pretty iconic GG rep with a very different fighting style, but admittedly it would be a huge long-shot for anyone other than Sol.

Sol could be set up to have a pretty interesting move set since he focuses on punches, grabs, and fire just as much as he does on using his sword (which he holds reverse grip, unlike any other fighters) but at the end of the day a lot of people might find him too similar to Terry/Ken

That said, I don't think a Guilty Gear rep was ever very likely. Terry is representing all of SNK and Kazuya is representing basically all 3D fighters. You could argue that Sol would be representing all anime fighters? That's still very niche compared to the other reps.

Granted, this is all very theoretical. I don't think we're getting another Smash game for another decade or more. Probably the next Smash release will be an exclusively graphical update of Ultimate for the next major Nintendo console. If they add any extra characters in that, they'll probably just be echoes or Piranha Plant tier minor Nintendo characters.

My prediction is that if Nintendo wants to continue to flex their ability to magnet up big-name third-party characters, they'll start throwing them en-masse into the next Mario Kart, since they've already started treating the roster like Smash.

• Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    Just wanted to post this. Someone did a pretty great farewell Tribute to Sakurai and SSBU.

https://youtu.be/8B6z-xgix3Y

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    edited October 2021
    Wtf Sora patch comes with Dr Mario and Zelda buffs? Guess its time for me to pick up smash again lol.

First impressions is Sora feels hella floaty, but controls pretty well otherwise.

KoopahTroopah on
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    "hella floaty" does seem to be like, the core of sora's design lol

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    It could also be that I've been playing Nick Brawl recently which is insanely fast with SHFFLEs and wave dashing. Its a big change coming back to Ultimate.

Overall, I like him and I'm excited to get some online games in tomorrow. :biggrin:

• Options
    edited October 2021
    Patch notes from https://en-americas-support.nintendo.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/56516
    Fighter Adjustments

All Fighters - Made it so opponents that fall down in place due to Kazuya's side special cannot be stepped on when jumping.

Jigglypuff
    Neutral Attack 2 Reduced vulnerability.
    Back Air Attack Reduced vulnerability.
    Reduced vulnerability when landing.
    Downward Throw Shortened the launch distance.
    Reduced vulnerability.

Dr. Mario
    Neutral Air Attack Extended launch distance for the high-damage window.
    Up Air Attack Increased attack power and maintained launch distance.
    Down Air Attack Increased attack speed.
    Side Special Increased the amount of time hit detection lasts.
    Down Special Increased the speed that super armor activates when using the move on the ground.

Zelda
    Neutral Attack 1 Reduced vulnerability.
    Flurry Attack Increased power.
    Up Smash Attack Extended launch distance.
    Down Smash Attack Extended launch distance.
    Down Air Attack Increased the high-damage range.

Lucario
    Dash Attack Extended the duration of the high-damage part of the attack.
    Increased the high-damage range.
    Side Tilt Attack Extended launch distance of the second attack.
    Down Tilt Attack Increased attack speed.

Rosalina & Luma
    Down Smash Attack Luma will appear in front of Rosalina when using the move and turning around.
    Extended launch distance for Luma's attack.
    Side Special Luma will follow you when using the move in the air.

Little Mac
    Up Tilt Attack Extended the duration of an opponent's animation when they are struck by this attack.
    Side Smash Attack Increased power against shields when using the move with down input.
    Neutral Special Extended launch distance.
    Reduced vulnerability when using the move on the ground.
    Increased speed so it will be faster to use the move.
    Made so the second button press can be input in advance.
    Up Special Extended launch distance of the last attack.
    Down Special Increased the amount that attack power will increase.

Ridley
    Side Special Shortened the time between the slamming/dragging animations and when another jump can be input.

King K. Rool
    Up Tilt Attack Increased power.
    Extended launch distance.
    Side Smash Attack Increased the amount of time hit detection lasts.
    Increased the range at the beginning of the move.
    Forward Air Attack Reduced vulnerability.
    Up Throw Extended launch distance.

Isabelle
    Down Tilt Attack Reduced vulnerability.
    Side Smash Attack Extended the duration of the high-damage part of the attack.
    Down Smash Attack Extended launch distance.
    Increased attack range.
    Forward Throw Extended launch distance.

Incineroar
    Down Smash Attack Increased power.
    Extended launch distance.
    Up Air Attack Increased attack power and maintained launch distance.
    Up Special Increased attack power and maintained launch distance of the high-damage window while descending.
    Increased attack power and maintained launch distance of the high-damage window for the explosion.

Joker
    Final Smash Shortened the downtime after finishing the Final Smash.

Hero
    Final Smash Shortened the downtime after finishing the Final Smash.

KoopahTroopah on
  • Options
    KupiKupi Registered User regular
    You never get Duck Hunt as an assist character in Sora's Classic Mode, which feels like a huge missed opportunity.

My favorite musical instrument is the air-raid siren.
  • Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    "hella floaty" does seem to be like, the core of sora's design lol

It's the go-to example when I think about floaty combat. I actually can't think of anything else in the genre that compares off the top of my head.

• Options
    Kupi wrote: »
    You never get Duck Hunt as an assist character in Sora's Classic Mode, which feels like a huge missed opportunity.

Do you at least get Pikachu with the wizard hat costume and a Star Rod showing up?

• Options
    edited October 2021
    Ugh.

You know whose friends are his power?

Mr. Game and Watch, and his 8 buddies, goddamn.

The fight wouldn’t be such a wisdom tooth if it weren’t a stamina match, but they can just cluster together and combo turtles into bug spray until I lose 70 HP.

Enlong on
  • Options
    AshtonDragonAshtonDragon AKA The Nix Registered User regular
    Sora seems fun and I can see him being popular, but I'm not expecting him to make waves in tournaments. Still waaaay too early to actually be sure about that, but it's hard to imagine it with how slow and floaty he is. He's got a lot of really good moves though, so I look forward to seeing what people figure out with him.

• Options
    TelMarineTelMarine Registered User regular
    I haven't played in 3 years, but I'm curious, are upper echelon players crazy good at perfect shield/parrying now? That was one fear I had at the game's launch that it was only a matter of time before people become crazy good at perfect shields. Then it'll turn into Street Fighter 3: 3rd Strike where people just parry everything (I hate parrying as a mechanic) and it's all super lame.

3ds: 4983-4935-4575
  • Options
    TelMarine wrote: »
    I haven't played in 3 years, but I'm curious, are upper echelon players crazy good at perfect shield/parrying now? That was one fear I had at the game's launch that it was only a matter of time before people become crazy good at perfect shields. Then it'll turn into Street Fighter 3: 3rd Strike where people just parry everything (I hate parrying as a mechanic) and it's all super lame.

Parrying is common, but because it's done in this game by dropping your shield (as opposed to every other Smash game), you can punish people for trying to parry by doing a delayed attack somehow. I wouldn't say that it gets used excessively at the top level, but it's more common against some characters who don't have multi hit moves or a good way of punishing you for trying.

• Options
    The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    edited October 2021
    Aye, parrying is generally only used widely against characters with very obvious timings to how they approach you. ROB and Ike nairs are the big offenders because you know they want it and you can see it coming. Those options are good enough you still do it for all the times they don't parry but if you're particularly good at it it's a real thorn in the side.

The upper echelon isn't as good as they should be three years later because they lost and year and change of in-person events to continue grinding and improving at it. Parrying reliably online is extremely difficult, and if you learn how to do it you're seriously messing up your muscle memory for doing it offline. As-is, you rarely see top 8 sets being determined by parries.

Rivals of Aether, another platform fighter, completely ditches shield for a (very laggy) parry button. I prefer that a lot more, personally, because it gives an outlet for punishing someone for being predictable that doesn't require me to properly space a punish (something I'm bad at). And also all the characters I play are awful out of shield so that gives me a bias against the system. But similarly, parrying in that game is weak to someone just landing next to you, watching you parry, and then hitting their optimal combo/kill confirm because now you're just standing there like a dummy. In smash it's mostly just adding another layer to the shield waiting game—hit them as soon as you can, wait for parry, wait for spot dodge.

The Escape Goat on
    9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    So, slight disappointment. It looks like if you play on Hollow Bastion in a Timed Stock battle (that is, what a lot of players go to when playing 1v1 duels), it doesn't morph into Dive to The Heart unless the timer runs low. It seems the transformation on low stocks only happens in a pure stock battle.

Sora is pretty fun. Very floaty, but I love some of his attacks. I've found that his down-throw can pretty reliably lead into his forward air combo at low-mid damage percentage. And when damage gets to high, you can just switch to back throws for distance.

• Options
    So, slight disappointment. It looks like if you play on Hollow Bastion in a Timed Stock battle (that is, what a lot of players go to when playing 1v1 duels), it doesn't morph into Dive to The Heart unless the timer runs low. It seems the transformation on low stocks only happens in a pure stock battle.
    Damn, this is really disappointing. I noticed it didn't transform in the games I played last night, but I didn't know if it happens as soon as one person is on their last stock or if both people need to be. Regardless, not sure what's going to happen with stage selection. Hollow Bastian is "literally FD, with a platform", which isn't exciting, but it's definitely a good stage. Kinda redundant though with Smashville, which is a smaller stage with different blastzones (smaller on the side because the stage itself is smaller, but Smashville has a higher ceiling). I like the platform height on Hollow Bastian more, though; Smashville's being so high has always bothered me.

• Options
    I'd like if Hollow Bastion was a tournament-legal stage. It's just cool, and doesn't have any wild gimmicks like some of the other DLC stages.

• Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular

Yeah, Sakurai specifically mentioned that.

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    edited October 2021
    I remember that he said it would happen at low time, or low stocks. But I don't think I recall the discussion mentioning which one took priority in a timed stock battle.

Enlong on
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    TelMarine wrote: »
    Online for a year makes this hard to say for sure, but it mostly punishes stuff like projectiles or more obvious animations/reads. People aren’t parrying even a quarter of the moves that hit their shield, as it’s safer to stay in shield and use whatever OOS option you have which most competitive characters will have at least one.

But yeah, if you spam fireballs or pk fire then they’re going to walk up to you parrying practically every shot

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    According to Sakurai's latest column, Sora was a last-minute addition. Originally the second fighter's pass was set at just the previous five fighters we know now, then he ran into a Disney executive at an awards show. That started looooooooong discussions between Nintendo, Squeenix, and Disney, which led to Sora happening.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    According to Sakurai's latest column, Sora was a last-minute addition. Originally the second fighter's pass was set at just the previous five fighters we know now, then he ran into a Disney executive at an awards show. That started looooooooong discussions between Nintendo, Squeenix, and Disney, which led to Sora happening.

Networking is 9 tenths of the job... as shown above. Glad he was able to get it done though!

• Options
    How fitting that Sora would be the result of a chance meeting between executives. IIRC, the story for how Kingdom Hearts itself got pitched starts in a similar fashion.

• Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    I’m surprised talks were that recent. I had assumed they began in the Wii U days and there was a lot of negotiation, and maybe Disney didn’t want Sora on the lackluster Wii U, etc.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    lol Sakurai tweeted a picture of his cat playing with an among us bean guy, saying something like "it's nice production is over so I can post stuff like this again without it being a problem"

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    edited October 2021
    Sterica wrote: »
    I’m surprised talks were that recent. I had assumed they began in the Wii U days and there was a lot of negotiation, and maybe Disney didn’t want Sora on the lackluster Wii U, etc.

It could just be that everyone assumed Sora would be a licensing nightmare and didn't want to try, but that chance meeting managed to get the ball rolling. I mean, just Squeenix themselves were a gigantic pain in the ass to work with before you throw in Disney.

cloudeagle on
  • Options
    TelMarineTelMarine Registered User regular
    Yikes, I didn't realize that both fighter passes together are like $60 US together. I think I'll wait a while for a sale for everything. Just feels weird to have this game and not have all the characters at your disposal.

3ds: 4983-4935-4575
  • Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    I wouldn't wait for a Nintendo game to go on sale.

• Options
    And also, it's a ton of characters and stages and music etc... It's worth the money if you like the game IMO.

• Options
    The price point was less of a sticker shock when it was a 5-dollar purchase every 3 months or so.

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    The price point was less of a sticker shock when it was a 5-dollar purchase every 3 months or so.

That's how subscriptions generally work

• Options
    Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    Nintendo of America
    @NintendoAmerica
    Confirmed. Ready your A-game, Super #SmashBros competitors. We've partnered with @PandaGlobal to launch the first officially licensed Super Smash Bros. championship circuit in North America, coming 2022!

#SmashBrosUltimate #SmashBrosMelee

Nintendo is finally officially sponsoring and licensing a Smash circuit, for Ultimate and Melee.

• Options
    edited November 2021
    Speaking of Smashlikes, that long-rumored Warner Bros mashup thing was announced. It'll be free to play but supported by in-game purchases. Also it'll be season-based, with new characters added as things go along. The roster so far:

Batman, voiced by Kevin Conroy
    Superman, voiced by George Newbern
    Wonder Woman, voiced by Abby Trott
    Harley Quinn, voiced by Tara Strong
    Shaggy (Scooby-Doo), voiced by Matthew Lillard
    Bugs Bunny (Looney Tunes), voiced by Eric Bauza
    Arya Stark (Game of Thrones), voiced by Maisie Williams
    Jake the Dog (Adventure Time), voiced by John DiMaggio
    Finn the Human (Adventure Time), voiced by Jeremy Shada
    Steven Universe, voiced by Daniel DiVenere
    Garnet (Steven Universe), voiced by Estelle
    Tom and Jerry, voiced by Eric Bauza
    Reindog (an original character for MultiVersus), voiced by Andrew Frankel

https://youtu.be/IQ5zCua6s6s

This is Player First Games', uh, first game, so who knows if it'll be any good. Coming everywhere except Switch for some reason.

cloudeagle on
  • Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    On the one hand, I can't wait to play that. It looks ridiculous. On the other hand, free to play coming from a massive company like WB makes me think they'll use it to mine cryptocurrency.

• Options
    Apparently there's "perk loadouts" so balance may or may not be a thing. Netcode rollback, though.

• Options
    edited November 2021
    I feel like there's a weird gap in properties here. Like, between Scooby Doo and Adventure Time, there's a period of time where they had quite a few well known and liked shows that isn't really represented by anyone but the DC characters (if we're to assume that Batman, Superman, and Wonder Woman can represent the DCAU). You know, shows like Animaniacs, Freakazoid, and Dexter's Lab. I feel like they could do with a few reps from that time as well.
    Taramoor wrote: »
    On the one hand, I can't wait to play that. It looks ridiculous. On the other hand, free to play coming from a massive company like WB makes me think they'll use it to mine cryptocurrency.

Hm. I think it's more likely that they may throw out a ton of cosmetics and stuff that's both time-limited and real money only. Will remain to be seen if they're out of randomly-rolled boxes, too.

Enlong on
  • Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    I feel like there's a weird gap in properties here. Like, between Scooby Doo and Adventure Time, there's a period of time where they had quite a few well known and liked shows that isn't really represented by anyone but the DC characters (if we're to assume that Batman, Superman, and Wonder Woman can represent the DCAU). You know, shows like Animaniacs, Freakazoid, and Dexter's Lab. I feel like they could do with a few reps from that time as well.
    Taramoor wrote: »

Hm. I think it's more likely that they may throw out a ton of cosmetics and stuff that's both time-limited and real money only. Will remain to be seen if they're out of randomly-rolled boxes, too.

They also refer to it as an ever-expanding roster. So it could get insane if the game takes off. I mean, Samurai Jack, Venture Brothers, Metalocalypse, Courage, Space Ghost.

If they're going to do it, I hope they go absolutely bonkers with it.

Buddy and Freddy vs Ed, Edd, and Eddy. That kind of bonkers.