As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The [Pokémon] Thread! Sword & Shield OUT NOW!!

• DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Warlock82 wrote: »
    Huh, I just got an email that there is a new pre-order bonus for Arceus, some sort of fox mask. Are they gonna make me pre-order this for all these clothing items? :/

The pokemon center pre-order comes with an Arceus plushy!

I may need to get in on that..

• Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    Huh, I just got an email that there is a new pre-order bonus for Arceus, some sort of fox mask. Are they gonna make me pre-order this for all these clothing items? :/

👀

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular

Its not worth the 10 hour drive.

Or is it?

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular

Its not worth the 10 hour drive.

Or is it?

It says they ship! Site says ships for arrival on release day and also that the plushy and game may ship separately.

Hmm... is it worth getting a shitty physical version for the bonus of free plush (which is technically of a pokemon I give zero shits about...)? I might just say fuck it and continue to go digital because my lazy ass doesn't want to get up and change out the carts all the time :P

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
    Hmm... is it worth getting a shitty physical version for the bonus of free plush (which is technically of a pokemon I give zero shits about...)? I might just say fuck it and continue to go digital because my lazy ass doesn't want to get up and change out the carts all the time :P

Oh yea I could see that not being worth it.

I barely use my switch so I'm never swapping carts so I'm all in on the physical. Gonna try to set up the pre-order there tonight, never bought anything from there before, hopefully it goes smoothly!

I barely use my switch so I'm never swapping carts so I'm all in on the physical. Gonna try to set up the pre-order there tonight, never bought anything from there before, hopefully it goes smoothly!

I've bought figures and stuff from there before, it usually goes pretty good (but man does shit sell out there quick)

I've bought figures and stuff from there before, it usually goes pretty good (but man does shit sell out there quick)

Oh boy good to know!

I'll make sure to try tonight. Thanks.

edited October 2021

Oh boy good to know!

Yeah, no clue if the *game* will sell out but I know they've done those special Pikachu figures and usually they go out of stock in seconds. That happened with the last Pikachu Moods figure (which pissed me off because I was literally at the page like 5 minutes after I got the email). Luckily they later restocked that one and I was able to get it, and the next Pikachu Moods stayed up for like, a day :P But yeah, people/scalpers go nuts for that Pokemon stuff :P

Warlock82 on
  • RamiRami Registered User regular
    expiration is feb. 2022

pity there doesn't seem to be a way to "smuggle" extra doggos... you can't trade them to other people after redeeming

huh?

I redeemed two shiny Zacians and moved them to Home, are you saying it won't let me trade them for someone elses shiny Zamazenta?

Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
  • StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    Rami wrote: »
    expiration is feb. 2022

pity there doesn't seem to be a way to "smuggle" extra doggos... you can't trade them to other people after redeeming

huh?

I redeemed two shiny Zacians and moved them to Home, are you saying it won't let me trade them for someone elses shiny Zamazenta?

I am!
    but Nik and I tested trading inside the game itself, and they let me get the shiny cyan Zacian.

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png

Oh boy good to know!

Yeah, no clue if the *game* will sell out but I know they've done those special Pikachu figures and usually they go out of stock in seconds. That happened with the last Pikachu Moods figure (which pissed me off because I was literally at the page like 5 minutes after I got the email). Luckily they later restocked that one and I was able to get it, and the next Pikachu Moods stayed up for like, a day :P But yeah, people/scalpers go nuts for that Pokemon stuff :P

Yea I was just worried because it said that the plushy can sell out. But I got my pre-order in plushy included!

Random side note to that, I just got my last thingy I ordered from Pokemon Center yesterday and honestly a bit surprised at the quality. I was kind of expecting them to be plastic like some of the other little statues I've bought but no, these were actually like real porcelain statues. For like $20 that's pretty good IMO. I ordered that new Mimiku book thing they just put out and then a cute Squirtle one shooting water because I wanted free shipping :3 (I really wish they'd restock more Mimiku stuff.. I wants to buy lots of it :3)

• KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    I've only used Pokemon Center to order plushes for my kids, but we've ordered quite a few by now and they've always been good quality.

I've only been to one in Japan where I certainly grabbed a few things. They are quite fun to wander around in! So I'll gladly take a free plushy with a game I was already buying.

• AnteCantelopeAnteCantelope Registered User regular
    I got that code for a shiny Zacian and Zamazenta, but only have a copy of Sword. Is there a way to get the both on one copy of the game?

• RamiRami Registered User regular
    I got that code for a shiny Zacian and Zamazenta, but only have a copy of Sword. Is there a way to get the both on one copy of the game?

no

but if you two (or more) codes you can create new accounts on your switch to redeem them multiple times, then look for someone to trade with

You don't need nintendo online to redeem mystery gifts and if you have Home you can move them from each profile's save straight into your regular Home storage

Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
  • urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    I can't believe Diamond and Pearl are coming out this week. I'm on the fence on getting it digital or physical...

• jothkijothki Registered User regular
    I'm tempted to just skip it until I get confirmation about whether it's actually a substantial upgrade over the originals.

• joshgotrojoshgotro Deviled Egg The Land of REAL CHILIRegistered User regular
    I still need to get a run through of Omega Ruby in and finish Ultra Sun before I get Sword. Always behind.

I thought the chibi look would ruin my enjoyment of the game... And I did hate it at first but now that I have an hour into it I barely notice it now.

Can't wait to play this with my son.

• StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    i love the chibis
    i'm liking the game more than i expected.

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    I didnt even notice as the old games were all chibi essentially in the overworld anyway.

Jubal77 wrote: »
    I didnt even notice as the old games were all chibi essentially in the overworld anyway.

Yeah I'm aware. It just looks silly now that we have 3D models.

• ph blakeph blake Registered User regular
    I kinda love the way this game looks; the big goofy expressions on the chibi models is really working for me.

7h8wnycre6vs.png
  • Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2021
    urahonky wrote: »
    Jubal77 wrote: »

Yeah I'm aware. It just looks silly now that we have 3D models.

Worth keeping in mind that these are still ostensibly kids games (as in, they know plenty of adults will buy them but their primary demo, especially in Japan, is kids/teens). As a game for kids/young teens, I don't think it looks silly at all.

Houk the Namebringer on
    Oh don't worry I'm well aware that everyone will jump down my throat about this lol. But there hasn't been a single instance of Chibi that I liked. I couldn't make it more than a couple of hours into World of Final Fantasy for the same reason. I think it's tacky looking and everything.

But luckily the in-battle models look really good and ultimately that's all that matters in a Pokemon game.

• AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    Their MO has always been the minimum amount of effort for maximum reward.

It works. It works very, very, very well.

Because of that they will never, ever do more than is absolutely necessary.

It is frustrating to me as I would love to see a game with the quality of, like, BoTW. Yet they still get my money so I am also part of the problem.

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
    I told myself I was going to use gen 4 pokemon for this because I never actually played the originals, but the ease of online trading has let me live out a childhood dream that never was: getting a level 16 Alakazam before the second gym. Don't think I can bring myself to bench this guy.

7h8wnycre6vs.png
  • ZundeZunde Registered User regular
  • IlpalaIlpala Just this guy, y'know TexasRegistered User regular
    edited November 2021
    I am enjoying this remake but there is one area that I feel criticisms are valid and that's incomplete features. Like, the GTS existed day 1 for the DS remakes over a decade ago, and its absence is definitely felt.

Ilpala on
    FF XIV - Qih'to Furishu (on Siren), Battle.Net - Ilpala#1975
    Switch - SW-7373-3669-3011
    Fuck Joe Manchin
  • akjakakjak Thera Spooky GymRegistered User regular
    Do we get to wonder/mystery trade in this version?

Switch: SW-4133-1546-2720 (Thera)
    Twitch: akThera
    Steam: Thera
    I don't think so? Just normal link trading so far, using the union room thing you access from the Pokemon centers.

Though they do port over the SwSH qol thing where pressing Y let's you access the online features from anywhere.

7h8wnycre6vs.png
  • AnteCantelopeAnteCantelope Registered User regular
    It's nice to get a legendary pokemon so early in the game, so I can actually use it. That's a nice improvement.

• Green LanternGreen Lantern Registered User regular
    Gotta say in some regards they sticked too much to the orignals like with the pokemon distribution

• TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular
    Gotta say in some regards they sticked too much to the orignals like with the pokemon distribution

Out of idle interest (I have no intention of buying this, gonna wait for Arceus next year) I glanced through the Pokedex. I was profoundly disappointed at the lack of Fire type Pokemon. I assumed they would at least go with Platinum's Dex.

Yeah, the fire pickings are definitely slim. Outside of the fire starter you have Ponyta as a wild pokemon you can find pretty early, and the Houndoom line plus Slugmar (Pearl only) you can find in the Grand Underground as rare spawns (unlocks when you get to the city with the second gym).

Pretty happy with my team so far though, doubt I'll change any of these guys out for the rest of the game. Closest I've come to wavering is when I caught a Girafarig and then went to go look up how cool it's evolution looked, cause surely the psychic giraffe pokemon has to have a rad evolution, right???

7h8wnycre6vs.png
  • JaysonFourJaysonFour Classy Monster Kitteh Registered User regular
    So the niece and I have finished with our very first session of Pokemon Brilliant Diamond (we bought both and I let her choose her version first), and well... there are some good, some bad things we've already found.
    • The art style leaves a lot to be desired. Molly (my niece) was a huge fan of the dressup options in Sword/Shield- it was one of her favorite things to drop in-game cash on, and we got a lot of mileage out of it. Here, well... admittedly she's not a fan of the chibi sprites, because even though there's supposedly clothing customization in the game, it apparently isn't holding her interest as much because of the chibi art style.
    • The Pokemon sprites are actually really cute- she recognizes a lot of them from New Pokemon Snap.
    • One very, very bad thing: there's currently no Pokemon Home support for Brilliant Diamond/Shining Pearl, and there won't be until sometime in 2022. I wish this had been a wider-known fact, because this is going to throw in a huge monkey wrench to us completing the BD/SP pokedexes (not going to be able to port in the ones who are a PITA to catch or the starters unless we end up breeding plenty more or trusting internet randos to not give us hacked pokemon or scam us).
    • Fire types are at a premium, like others have said. Only one three-stage fire pokemon in the Chimchar line, and only the Ponyta, Houndour and Slugma lines to choose from? Fire might not be as big a problem in this generation as others.
    • I'm gonna say it right here, right now: Battle Frontier will be $30 DLC. It's too damned popular to not be, and it's the closest they'll get to just releasing Platinum.

...honestly, I don't understand why they can't just come out and admit that this is a shitty port of a 3DS game that only got bumped up to the Switch because Nintendo decided to go all-in on the Switch and ditch the 3DS. Literally the only reason we even bought this is because it's the remakes and the only way she'll ever have a chance to catch all the Sinnoh Pokemon, but good goddamn they should have sat on this one until the Pokemon Home connection was ready and finalized, because lots of us were after the ones to fill in the holes of our Sinnoh dex, and maybe another few months in the cooker would have done this game lots of good. Or better yet- push this off until April or May of 2022, drop it with Battle Frontier and Home support, and rake in the cash while letting Legends Arceus launch on January on time.

ph blake wrote: »
    Yeah, the fire pickings are definitely slim. Outside of the fire starter you have Ponyta as a wild pokemon you can find pretty early, and the Houndoom line plus Slugmar (Pearl only) you can find in the Grand Underground as rare spawns (unlocks when you get to the city with the second gym).

Pretty happy with my team so far though, doubt I'll change any of these guys out for the rest of the game. Closest I've come to wavering is when I caught a Girafarig and then went to go look up how cool it's evolution looked, cause surely the psychic giraffe pokemon has to have a rad evolution, right???

There are piles and piles of awesome Pokemon out there that need or deserve evolutions (remember the absolute joy that spread through the community when it was revealed that not only was Farfetch'd getting a Galar form, it was finally getting the evolution it had deserved after fifteen years?), but the old favorites (legendaries and anime standouts like Charizard) get all the love.

steam_sig.png
    I can has cheezburger, yes?
  • akjakakjak Thera Spooky GymRegistered User regular
    edited November 2021
    JaysonFour wrote: »
    they should have sat on this one until the Pokemon Home connection was ready and finalized, because lots of us were after the ones to fill in the holes of our Sinnoh dex

Not a case of "connection not ready," it's a case of "we don't want anyone to just port in their perfectly bred level 1s and trivialize the entire game."

They did the same with Sword/Shield, and every other game that let you bring pokemon from previous games. You've never gotten to do that until at LEAST a month after the game comes out.

You already could trade (or just get given) all the pokemon just in Home, so filling the dex hasn't been that difficult. Yeah, doing it with the Sinnoh remake would have been easier, but she can still catch everything and then port them in when Home support is added.

akjak on
    Switch: SW-4133-1546-2720 (Thera)
    Twitch: akThera
    Steam: Thera
  • ZundeZunde Registered User regular
    If you're like me and have never played diamond and pearl because during that specific generation i was going through massive life issues where even playing a game was a pipe dream.

You need to talk to a npc in the Jubalife TV station to unlock mystery gift and nothing points you to that.