As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Update your resume to get a new [Job] thread

HefflingHeffling No PicEverRegistered User regular
edited October 2021 in Social Entropy++
Does your job suck? Do you hate your boss? Is your coworker wearing a MAGA hat and telling you about the latest thing he read on Facebook while at work, while you do their job for them?

Did you land your dream job? Did your boss acknowledge your value with an unexpected raise and/or bonus? Did your coworker join you in charity work?

Then this is the new, shiny thread for you!

In good news, reading about Athenor's problems with ADHD and talking to him privately has made me realize that I very likely have undiagnosed ADHD and I'm going to see the doctor next week to get tested and/or medicated. I have very similar focus issues, and I'm looking forward to the day when I can actually complete one of my dozens of crafting projects or just not to lose interest in work projects when I'm 80% done.

Heffling on

• Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    This thread smells like farts.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    You all might recall I was complaining earlier this year that the Department of Unemployment was giving me a hard time about my Pandemic claims even though I had submitted everything they demanded, they still demanded I repay $10,000 of the payments they already gave me this year. Today is the day of my hearing, finally after nearly five months of waiting for one. I decided to hire an attorney to represent me because this is such bullshit that they're likely to rule against me because I forgot to dot some I or cross some T.

Wish me luck!

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Options
    HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular
    Good luck, DisruptedCapitalism. Live up to your name!

• Options
    DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    I'm gonna disrupt some shit if I don't win this thing.

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Options
    This thread smells like farts.

palpatine-star-wars.gif

• Options
    BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    Manager brought back some paperwork to get us started on a new project. I asked if we would be getting support from the corporate office since its a project type we don't have a lot of experience with, and he told me I was being ridiculous, started in on how other branches manage the projects just fine. I mentioned that the last (its still not actually done) time we did one, we had two of our drafters almost burn out, and both of the engineers who were working on it have since quit. He blamed it all on poor management from the engineers, and then suggested maybe the drafters should just quit so he can hire people who won't be burnt out.

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
  • Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Yay, my avatar is much less likely to show up on the forum landing page in multiple locations now!

Social anxiety cured!

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    It's Wednesday

• Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    hump day

where all my humps at

• Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    Please no hump talk. We don’t want HR getting all up in here.

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options
    kliegb76kccu.png

Fuck you I do what I want!

• Options
    Ooooh, look at you mister dromedary, with your two humps. You think you're soooo special!

• Options
    BullheadBullhead Registered User regular
    Hump Day Interview passed! On to round two with the actual Manager of the department. Sweet jesus I might finally escape this toxic workplace!

96058.png?1619393207
  • Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2021
    schuss wrote: »
    @tynic and other electronics people - any recommended soldering iron? Going to try to build a keyboard with my son.

@schuss what's your budget? <$200 I would go with a Weller, as mentioned. They're reliable, incredibly longlived, and the temperature calibration is pretty good even at the low price end. I'm still using one I bought for like 50 Euro in 2010 for home soldering (though if you go for one of the cheaper options it's worth investing in an array of tips, I think the cheap ones ship with just one default tip)

If you wanna spend more than that it's probably worth going for a full station, with desoldering and whatever other bells and whistles you can get your hands on. Or if you're using SMD components a lot, then you might find an SMD workstation is worth investing in.
    I'm less sure about brand on these, can only speak to what I've used in various labs, but JBC is good.

tynic on
  • Options
    David_TDavid_T A fashion yes-man is no good to me. Copenhagen, DenmarkRegistered User regular
    I think this new job might be OK.

Today I presented a fairly standard Excel sheet using the built-in web crawler that'll actually save a team 30 minutes of work every day on a task that an external firm offered to do for us for 4 grand a month. It took like three or four days to put together and that's only because most of the sites required digging into the HTML to find the specific values I needed.

euj90n71sojo.png
  • Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    Fuck work! Video games.

• Options
    ThegreatcowThegreatcow Lord of All Bacons Washington State - It's Wet up here innit? Registered User regular
    Brody wrote: »
    Manager brought back some paperwork to get us started on a new project. I asked if we would be getting support from the corporate office since its a project type we don't have a lot of experience with, and he told me I was being ridiculous, started in on how other branches manage the projects just fine. I mentioned that the last (its still not actually done) time we did one, we had two of our drafters almost burn out, and both of the engineers who were working on it have since quit. He blamed it all on poor management from the engineers, and then suggested maybe the drafters should just quit so he can hire people who won't be burnt out.

"Just bash your head against the wall harder. SMH, ya'll need to level up your skulls or some shit"

• Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Good lord I hate serialized database connections. They are so hard to diagnose and pin down. An environment that runs perfectly fine at 0-1ms latency suddenly becomes a morass at 60-70ms, because of the sheer volume of DB calls and other crap.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    ElaroElaro Apologetic Registered User regular
    David_T wrote: »

Today I presented a fairly standard Excel sheet using the built-in web crawler that'll actually save a team 30 minutes of work every day on a task that an external firm offered to do for us for 4 grand a month. It took like three or four days to put together and that's only because most of the sites required digging into the HTML to find the specific values I needed.

Be careful; according to a US governor (I wanna say... Wisconsin?), looking through HTML is a hacking offence.

Children's rights are human rights.
  • Options
    Has anyone else ever thought about humans are the only creature on the earth that pays rent and shit? What a bunch of bullshit

• Options
    Elaro wrote: »

Be careful; according to a US governor (I wanna say... Wisconsin?), looking through HTML is a hacking offence.

Missouri, and it is an incredibly stupid, STUPID thing.

• Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    Has anyone else ever thought about humans are the only creature on the earth that pays rent and shit? What a bunch of bullshit

That's why my spiders don't get to touch the thermostat

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    My dogs allow me to give them pets and walks in lieu of rent.
    ... Now im trying to figure out if that's an arrangement I really want with my landlord

• Options

Do monkeys share food with the tribe? Or are the older monkeys exerting rent on the foragers?

• Options
    Anyways, fuck work

Work under capitalism is exploitation

I have my yearly evaluation this afternoon, so I guess what I meant to say is I'm ready to die for this organization, please, please give me a 2% raise, which doesn't keep pace with inflation or the increased cost of living due to the world burning, half a million plus people dying needlessly (just in the USA) and everything else

• Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    Today is my day to sit and watch people ask to be taken off a reply-to-all email about one of our software tools being down.

• Options
    WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    Every bit of software I use at work is broken.

• Options
    tynic wrote: »
    My dogs allow me to give them pets and walks in lieu of rent.
    ... Now im trying to figure out if that's an arrangement I really want with my landlord

You know what, I think I'm okay with paying rent now

but they should still have to pick up my shit

• Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    tynic wrote: »
    schuss wrote: »
    @tynic and other electronics people - any recommended soldering iron? Going to try to build a keyboard with my son.

@schuss what's your budget? <$200 I would go with a Weller, as mentioned. They're reliable, incredibly longlived, and the temperature calibration is pretty good even at the low price end. I'm still using one I bought for like 50 Euro in 2010 for home soldering (though if you go for one of the cheaper options it's worth investing in an array of tips, I think the cheap ones ship with just one default tip)

If you wanna spend more than that it's probably worth going for a full station, with desoldering and whatever other bells and whistles you can get your hands on. Or if you're using SMD components a lot, then you might find an SMD workstation is worth investing in.
    I'm less sure about brand on these, can only speak to what I've used in various labs, but JBC is good.

Thanks, I think I'll get the fancy 100 dollah weller with a mat/stuff. It's been decades since I soldered, so it will be an adventure.

• Options
    As noted here and here, you should pay me, you fucking clown

• Options
    Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    Woke up, made the wife's breakfast and lunch, drove my son to school and sat down to work. Discovered my laptop was fried. I'm back up and running now but had to actually go to the office and have them give me a new one (and put my hard drive in that one). Lost pretty much a whole day of work. Fortunately the IT office is near where my wife's car is waiting for a new engine so I could stop in and grab the stuff that was in the car when it died.

Also stopped at Target but they had no He-Man figures I need.

• Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    I got the promotion. I’m officially a lead planner. Or a planning lead.

• Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    I got the promotion. I’m officially a lead planner. Or a planning lead.

Lead planner? Why would you be plotting out a metal?

• Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular

Sounds like you deserve half of that $4k a month, minimum, as a raise.

• Options
    A coworker out of the blue asked me my opinions on Cryptocurrency.

I warned him not to... he pressed, and so I started talking about the iceberg of "STAY THE FUCK AWAY."

Let's see if he listens to me.

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Woke up, made the wife's breakfast and lunch, drove my son to school and sat down to work. Discovered my laptop was fried. I'm back up and running now but had to actually go to the office and have them give me a new one (and put my hard drive in that one). Lost pretty much a whole day of work. Fortunately the IT office is near where my wife's car is waiting for a new engine so I could stop in and grab the stuff that was in the car when it died.

Also stopped at Target but they had no He-Man figures I need.

There's a Target finally opening in my area in a couple weeks. There's part of me thinking about going there and getting back into gunpla, but I also already hate not having money so I don't think that's a great idea.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    Good news: I figured out why our inventory spreadsheets kept having sorting errors.

Bad news: it's because approximately half of our nonfiction dewey decimal cutters include upper-case i's masquerading as lower-case L's, and it's not a problem with the new weeding script, it's baked into the original records. I have no idea how this happened or how it can be fixed.

Good news: it is now officially beyond my pay grade and access level, so I'm kickin' it right up the chain.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    Jedoc wrote: »
    Good news: I figured out why our inventory spreadsheets kept having sorting errors.

Bad news: it's because approximately half of our nonfiction dewey decimal cutters include upper-case i's masquerading as lower-case L's, and it's not a problem with the new weeding script, it's baked into the original records. I have no idea how this happened or how it can be fixed.

Good news: it is now officially beyond my pay grade and access level, so I'm kickin' it right up the chain.

Ahh, one of the things we can always count on: bad data!

• Options
    AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    Elaro wrote: »
    Jedoc wrote: »

Ahh, one of the things we can always count on: bad data!

6ack28e5m3or.png
    ?