As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Update your resume to get a new [Job] thread

• BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    Anyways, fuck work

Work under capitalism is exploitation

I have my yearly evaluation this afternoon, so I guess what I meant to say is I'm ready to die for this organization, please, please give me a 2% raise, which doesn't keep pace with inflation or the increased cost of living due to the world burning, half a million plus people dying needlessly (just in the USA) and everything else

Sometimes I forget that my daily physical interactions are with a group of people who don't engage with the same sort of media we experience on the forums, and then I say shit and everyone looks at me all confused and it takes a second to click for me. The other day one of my coworkers was talking about using her old school email which hadn't been deactivated to get the student price for Spotify or w/e, and was trying to excuse this clear violation of our social contract. I responded with "There is no ethical consumption under capitalism" and the rest of the office looked at me with really confused looks for a moment and then I realized that's a forum Brody thing, not a real life Brody thing, and just sort of shrugged and went back to my desk.

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
    Shadowfire wrote: »
    Woke up, made the wife's breakfast and lunch, drove my son to school and sat down to work. Discovered my laptop was fried. I'm back up and running now but had to actually go to the office and have them give me a new one (and put my hard drive in that one). Lost pretty much a whole day of work. Fortunately the IT office is near where my wife's car is waiting for a new engine so I could stop in and grab the stuff that was in the car when it died.

Also stopped at Target but they had no He-Man figures I need.

There's a Target finally opening in my area in a couple weeks. There's part of me thinking about going there and getting back into gunpla, but I also already hate not having money so I don't think that's a great idea.

I pick my route home because the one I take does not bring me anywhere near the target that I know has a couple HG kits somewhere.

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

• ElaroElaro Apologetic Registered User regular
    Aldo wrote: »
    Elaro wrote: »
    Jedoc wrote: »
    Good news: I figured out why our inventory spreadsheets kept having sorting errors.

Bad news: it's because approximately half of our nonfiction dewey decimal cutters include upper-case i's masquerading as lower-case L's, and it's not a problem with the new weeding script, it's baked into the original records. I have no idea how this happened or how it can be fixed.

Good news: it is now officially beyond my pay grade and access level, so I'm kickin' it right up the chain.

Ahh, one of the things we can always count on: bad data!

6ack28e5m3or.png
    ?

That's Lore, which is evil. As opposed to Data, which is good! (Except when it's bad.)

Children's rights are human rights.
  • ElaroElaro Apologetic Registered User regular
    Brody wrote: »
    Anyways, fuck work

Work under capitalism is exploitation

I have my yearly evaluation this afternoon, so I guess what I meant to say is I'm ready to die for this organization, please, please give me a 2% raise, which doesn't keep pace with inflation or the increased cost of living due to the world burning, half a million plus people dying needlessly (just in the USA) and everything else

Sometimes I forget that my daily physical interactions are with a group of people who don't engage with the same sort of media we experience on the forums, and then I say shit and everyone looks at me all confused and it takes a second to click for me. The other day one of my coworkers was talking about using her old school email which hadn't been deactivated to get the student price for Spotify or w/e, and was trying to excuse this clear violation of our social contract. I responded with "There is no ethical consumption under capitalism" and the rest of the office looked at me with really confused looks for a moment and then I realized that's a forum Brody thing, not a real life Brody thing, and just sort of shrugged and went back to my desk.

Hide your power level, man!

Children's rights are human rights.
  • tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Hot take: it's fine to screw over Spotify because they're awful
    but also probably don't use spotify if you can avoid it, because they're awful.

hey related, when did every music streaming service become completely unusable? I feel like it's been a few years now.
    I need to go back to buying CDs, at least some of the proceeds might make it back to the artists.

(but also then I need to buy a cd player :/ )

tynic wrote: »

hey related, when did every music streaming service become completely unusable? I feel like it's been a few years now.
    I need to go back to buying CDs, at least some of the proceeds might make it back to the artists.

Hence why there is no ethical consumption under capitalism.

• bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Athenor wrote: »
    A coworker out of the blue asked me my opinions on Cryptocurrency.

I warned him not to... he pressed, and so I started talking about the iceberg of "STAY THE FUCK AWAY."

Let's see if he listens to me.

The last guy that asked me about this I asked if he was a pedophile or something that he needed it and that seemed to get the message across that I didn't want to talk to him about crypto.

Not that that was necessarily the shot across the bow I wanted to make but I really did not want to talk to a neckbeard that had it all figured out and was going to be the next millionaire coming into bitcoin about a decade too late.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • ani_game_bumani_game_bum Optimistic, Rule-Breaking Nice Guy The Final World/DestinationRegistered User regular
    Bum clan has been sufficiently flu jabbed

Except for Mrs. Bum, who has to get her required-for-employment jab at her workplace, hopefully soon.

steam_sig.pngPSN: ani_game_bum Battle.net ID: Anigamebum#1354 Genshin UID: 660694297 Switch FC: SW-2127-8288-6505 Steam Wishlist
  • tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    bowen wrote: »

I warned him not to... he pressed, and so I started talking about the iceberg of "STAY THE FUCK AWAY."

The last guy that asked me about this I asked if he was a pedophile or something that he needed it and that seemed to get the message across that I didn't want to talk to him about crypto.

Not that that was necessarily the shot across the bow I wanted to make but I really did not want to talk to a neckbeard that had it all figured out and was going to be the next millionaire coming into bitcoin about a decade too late.

there was a period of about a month this year where pretty much every conversation I was in someone would say "so how about this NFT thing... ". After about three incidents the bf started hurling himself behind the nearest couch or table when he heard the dread acronym, to avoid being caught in the tirade.

• DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    tynic wrote: »

I've been pretty happy with Bandcamp and I hardly use any of the other services anymore.

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2021
    My supervisor thinks I'm doing a great job, really values my contribution to the team and the org, thinks I really adapted well to all the changes in the past 12 months

Also, Has no idea what the possible raise range is, but will "fight to get me what I earned"

I'm extremely skeptical

We recently switched from a four point grading scale to a three point scale

It's basically impossible to get a 3/3, just like it was to get 4/4

So I'm all those things, and I get a 2/3

What a bullshit system

DouglasDanger on
  • initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    edited October 2021
    I don't know really how to say this without feeling like I sound like a huge jackass...

But I just saw the paystub for my first week on this job and it fundamentally changes the material conditions of my life, even if this 6m contract ends up not being renewed.

My taxes taken out for this 1w check are only slightly less than my takehome net pay for 2w in my last full time job.

initiatefailure on
  • chromdomchromdom Who? Where?Registered User regular
    I have my performance review tomorrow, after being here for 6 months
    I told a joke last week, essentially calling my boss an idiot.
    And this has not been a strong week for me.

I'm not enthused about tomorrow.

• KadithKadith Registered User regular
    Our exchange server crashed in the middle of the day with no clear indicator of why

Currently waiting for the backup to copy over so I can hopefully restore everything except for an hour of emails. And hopefully I we don't just restore a back up that's going to fail after a few hours of production

Happy Weds to meee

zkHcp.jpg
  • schussschuss Registered User regular
    I don't know really how to say this without feeling like I sound like a huge jackass...

But I just saw the paystub for my first week on this job and it fundamentally changes the material conditions of my life, even if this 6m contract ends up not being renewed.

My taxes taken out for this 1w check are only slightly less than my takehome net pay for 2w in my last full time job.

That's awesome - there's never anything wrong with celebrating financial stability and comfort.

• TicaldfjamTicaldfjam Snoqualmie, WARegistered User regular

I'm so goddamned tired of the cowards running the Tech Industry, blatantly lying to us on, "We can't possibly give you a raise!"=in one of the most expensive cities in the US(Seattle.).

Signed someone who works with a low end "tech company" not named Amazon/Microsoft in upper South Lake Union

• ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    My supervisor thinks I'm doing a great job, really values my contribution to the team and the org, thinks I really adapted well to all the changes in the past 12 months

Also, Has no idea what the possible raise range is, but will "fight to get me what I earned"

I'm extremely skeptical

What a bullshit system

I can at least appreciate the implied transparency of a 3-pt system. Almost everyone will almost always be a 2/3, where 1/3 means you should fear losing your job, and 3/3 means you should be gearing up for promotion (or else your job should fear losing you).

The bigger bs move in my experience is the whole not knowing but gonna fight like hell. Fight for what? You literally just said you had no idea how much I can get. So your fighting is probably gonna be you telling your boss that I deserve as much as possible, your boss gonna say like "so x?" Where x is probably the amount everyone else gets, and you're gonna be like "yeah that sounds good" because you're just a dumb manager who doesn't even know the max raise amount.

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • QuantumTurkQuantumTurk Registered User regular
    Tox wrote: »

I'm extremely skeptical

What a bullshit system

I can at least appreciate the implied transparency of a 3-pt system. Almost everyone will almost always be a 2/3, where 1/3 means you should fear losing your job, and 3/3 means you should be gearing up for promotion (or else your job should fear losing you).

The bigger bs move in my experience is the whole not knowing but gonna fight like hell. Fight for what? You literally just said you had no idea how much I can get. So your fighting is probably gonna be you telling your boss that I deserve as much as possible, your boss gonna say like "so x?" Where x is probably the amount everyone else gets, and you're gonna be like "yeah that sounds good" because you're just a dumb manager who doesn't even know the max raise amount.

It's all made up anyway. We are trying to bring in a student for a paid internship type position. Hr asked "they asked for this which is the high end of the range, what do you think?" "I think they are worth it and we should do what we need to secure them"
    Inside it was more "I give no shits, that still makes them the lowest paid person here and why in the loving fuck would my concern ever be anything but to make sure my people are paid well and can do their jobs?"
    Also not like I even know the budget for....anything. I ask for supplies and get them. Is 10k a lot? Who knows! I need the 10k thing and it gets approved so...someone else's problem now!

edited October 2021
    Ticaldfjam wrote: »

I'm so goddamned tired of the cowards running the Tech Industry, blatantly lying to us on, "We can't possibly give you a raise!"=in one of the most expensive cities in the US(Seattle.).

Signed someone who works with a low end "tech company" not named Amazon/Microsoft in upper South Lake Union

I work in the general metropolitan area, for a company whose headquarters are back in the Midwest. We keep losing engineers because they won't pay them enough, while complaining they have to pay them too much. The most recent round of hires was originally going to be offered 60k*, before the manager saw it and realized no one would accept the position at that rate.

*What they consider a reasonable adjustment for the Seattle area.

Brody on

So many businesses are fundamentally unsound but get floated on cheap labor. Not mine tho. We don't even make money, shits wild.

bowen wrote: »

I just learned the best response. The anytime someone tries to ask about crypto or explain crypto, say "Isn't that like Kohl's cash?" or "Oh, so it's like Kohl's cash?"

• CroakerBCCroakerBC TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited October 2021

I'm extremely skeptical

What a bullshit system

It's all made up anyway. We are trying to bring in a student for a paid internship type position. Hr asked "they asked for this which is the high end of the range, what do you think?" "I think they are worth it and we should do what we need to secure them"
    Inside it was more "I give no shits, that still makes them the lowest paid person here and why in the loving fuck would my concern ever be anything but to make sure my people are paid well and can do their jobs?"
    Also not like I even know the budget for....anything. I ask for supplies and get them. Is 10k a lot? Who knows! I need the 10k thing and it gets approved so...someone else's problem now!

Tomorrow I get to hear how we are going to resource my* project and another one at the same time to achieve a set of on their face unachievable goals.

The words “near sourcing” were mentioned, and I look forward to once again losing this argument and spending six months babysitting contractors with no investment in the product, trying to keep a lid on things across time zones, and watching what is apparently a corporate priority get poorly implemented by the lowest bidder.

I think I’ve done this four times now, and it always goes wrong inside a year.

*The project is mine, the implementation and mid-tier direction are mine, but the resourcing is not mine, and the high level goal timelines were set by people other than me, without talking to me, and they’re pretty much in achievable. I’m going to this meeting trying to get less resource and more time. Slow is smooth and smooth is fast.

All of which is to say, yeah, invisible budgets are wild. Do I get people? Who knows! How much did it cost? Don’t ask!

CroakerBC on
  • korodullinkorodullin What. SCRegistered User regular
    One of my coworkers quit a couple of days ago after getting a couple hundred thousand dollars out of a meme cryptocurrency, so now everyone has a fever for the shit, but none of them have managed to get on at the right level of the pyramid to get anything out of it.

ZvOMJnu.png
    - The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (2017, colorized)
  • SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    edited October 2021
    My supervisor, and the 2nd shift equivalent supervisor are both on vacation this week. Also about half the worker bees that fill these areas are either on vacation/FMLA, or out hurt. Management's solution to this conundrum is somewhere between "eh, what's the worst that can happen?" and "they're not trained, but here's a supervisor for the shift".

It's gone about as well as you think it has. Wallet's gonna be fat tho.

Sorce on
    sig.gif
  • honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    In today's lesson of "Never Volunteer":

I'm filling in as project lead for 2 months (spoiler: It'll be at least four months) on a project. Coincidentally employee evaluation talks this year will not be done by partner + associate and the employee but by partner and project lead. Fuck me.

CroakerBC wrote: »

I'm extremely skeptical

What a bullshit system

Tomorrow I get to hear how we are going to resource my* project and another one at the same time to achieve a set of on their face unachievable goals.

The words “near sourcing” were mentioned, and I look forward to once again losing this argument and spending six months babysitting contractors with no investment in the product, trying to keep a lid on things across time zones, and watching what is apparently a corporate priority get poorly implemented by the lowest bidder.

I think I’ve done this four times now, and it always goes wrong inside a year.

*The project is mine, the implementation and mid-tier direction are mine, but the resourcing is not mine, and the high level goal timelines were set by people other than me, without talking to me, and they’re pretty much in achievable. I’m going to this meeting trying to get less resource and more time. Slow is smooth and smooth is fast.

All of which is to say, yeah, invisible budgets are wild. Do I get people? Who knows! How much did it cost? Don’t ask!

My situation is not quite so bad as that, but lord did I inhherit a lot of contractor science set up by people who didn't know the science. And contractors who rightly said "ok boss, we will follow these instructions to the letter for money" so now all the contractors are mad I came along to make them do actual science, and we've had to explain over and over that the original plans were worthless. Granted, people mostly listen so I'm not crying too much, and I think it was ignorance, not malice, but woof.

It is repeatedly wild, "is that a good price for this instrument/service?"
    "The instrument made by exactly one company? That never gives public pricing? That puts an NDA around getting a quote? Uhhhh let's just go with yes? I dunno man, you said it was critical we measure "x" and this is the way we can measure it, you tell me what that is worth and I'll tell you if this number is lower"

• 21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    i have to juggle my normal tasks and updating the documentation for them and finding ways to split the tasks among my coworker now. Thankfully, i'll be eased into the lead role...

• expendableexpendable Silly Goose Registered User regular
    edited October 2021
    I have a cough and sore throat.

It is very very likely that this is just my body responding to some weather fronts that have moved through the area, in addition to all the dust I've kicked up with packing and moving. In the old times I woulda just ignored it for a couple days and it'd be done. Current me took a sick day and is gonna go get covid tested AND hit the urgent care.

expendable on
    Djiem wrote: »
    Lokiamis wrote: »
    So the servers suddenly decide to cramp up during the last six percent.
    Man, the Director will really go out of his way to be a dick to L4D players.
    Steam
  • ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    Tonight I fly out for my first vacation in three years.

As a result this day of work will, by universal rule: SUCK!

I have my sub-notes prepared, all of my students are working on essay projects, LET'S GO.

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Zonugal wrote: »
    Tonight I fly out for my first vacation in three years.

As a result this day of work will, by universal rule: SUCK!

I have my sub-notes prepared, all of my students are working on essay projects, LET'S GO.

Gah. Thanks for reminding me, I need to sit down and plan out my vacations for a few months. My bosses are like "no, really, you are at 405 vacation hours, use them already!"

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • expendableexpendable Silly Goose Registered User regular
    I'll be honest, I misread that as 405 vacation days and was wondering why the hell you weren't jumping at the chance for a paid sabbatical year.

Djiem wrote: »
    Lokiamis wrote: »
    So the servers suddenly decide to cramp up during the last six percent.
    Man, the Director will really go out of his way to be a dick to L4D players.
    Steam
  • honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    10 weeks of vacation time is nothing to sneeze at either.

I'm extremely skeptical

What a bullshit system

The other shitty thing about this three point scale, with the 3/3 means you're doing such an exemplary job that you need promoted... is that there is no position higher than mine

So I cannot be promoted

And there's no guidance on how to actually hit 3/3

I'm extremely skeptical

What a bullshit system

The other shitty thing about this three point scale, with the 3/3 means you're doing such an exemplary job that you need promoted... is that there is no position higher than mine

So I cannot be promoted

And there's no guidance on how to actually hit 3/3

Kafkaesque if it weren't obviously deliberate and working as intended.

Driving into Seattle for a practical exam, thank God this job would be work from home most days.

xuh41nnh9jru.jpg

Yeah, definitely need to polish up the old resume

I have no idea how to... Market? Myself via resumes

• HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular
    In this job market? Use your resume as notes for filling out the online resume that your employer will inevitably require.

Just to get more eyes on it I'm happy to read it, feel free to anonymize.

For base approach I go hard on being VERY explicit about "I do x, which provides value because y, and here is z example of me being good and measurably good at it/ here is a big accomplishment from it"
    Insult your audiences intelligence, don't leave room for interpretation. They will be tired, grumpy, and yours is one of 100, and maybe English isn't their first language.

• Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    Currently sat in my back garden waiting for a locksmith because everyone else in my household has gone away for the night and i never take my keys out to work, because there is always somebody home, only this time there isn't. Brain you have failed me once more.

• Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    I ordered a "learn how to lockpick" set for fun but also so I can pick a lock when all the keys to the cabinets eventually get lost.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork