As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Scary Movies

BlarghyBlarghy Registered User regular
Hey all,

My girlfriend and I have had a scary movie itch lately. Only problem is that we haven't watched any movies that are actually scary yet. Like, terrified to go the bathroom scary, or even just "Ohgodohgodohgod don't go into that room" temporarily scary. Googling top ten scary movie lists produces movies like The Exorcist, The Ring, or A Quiet Place, which while all decent movies in their own right, we haven't found to be actually scary at all (the only one of those that came close was the The Ring for the couple of times they briefly flash the victim's disfigured faces).

So, any recommendations on movies that are actually scary as shit, and not just slightly suspenseful or creepy?

• Options
    BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    Personally, Hereditary and Rec are my go-to "genuinely scary" films.

• Options
    KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    Do you have any examples of movies that you have found to be scary in the past?

There aren't any really objectively scary movies, and what people find scary can vary greatly from person to person. Some people get scared by well-done jump scares, some folks find existential horror scary, some folks are scared by more "realistic" scenarios like home invasions... It seems like jump scares might come close for you given your comment on The Ring, but it would help if there's anything else that has scared you at all in the past.

• Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    What I find scary is not the normal scary. Scary movies, for me, are the movies that haunt my mind well after the movie is over.

My list:

- It Follows
    - In The Mouth of Madness
    - Blair Witch Project
    - The Thing
    - Stir of Echoes
    - Primer
    - Suspiria (remake)
    - From Beyond
    - Lawnmower Man
    - Frozen 2

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    Drez wrote: »
    - Frozen 2

Don't worry; the movie will make a lot more sense when you're older.

• Options
    dispatch.odispatch.o Registered User regular
    edited October 2021
    Lights Out - wasn't a great movie, but it was a good scary movie.

The Babadook - some really good moments, underrated film IMHO.

Evil Dead (2013) - really good effects, awesome pacing and plenty of things that make you wish you could look away.

Midsommar - not my type of scary generally but worth watching. It's not just scary or creepy, it's a thinker - with some surprise imagery you'll probably want to pause or get a second look at. The opening scene is exciting and disturbing, then there's a slow burn until the pace picks up again. Worth seeing.

IT (2017) & IT part 2 (2019) - Wonderful setting, good scares with some satisfying action and wholesome scenes that are very nostalgic.

Sinister / Sinister 2 - fun and a pretty okay runner up if you're out of stuff to watch. The found footage aspect is interesting and doesn't shy away from disturbing stuff.

The Witch - Old time scary with a fairy tale vibe. Very dark and more suspense than gore.

Cabin in The Woods - Just fun. Fucks with all the tropes and still comes off with a few scary moments despite being almost a parody horror. Definitely watch for fun.

Edit: I don't do found footage really. I don't enjoy crappy camera work or people talking to the screen.

The Blair Witch stuff and Paranormal Activity (1,2,3) were 'okay'.

Edit2: The Grudge (2004) The Grudge 2(2006) movies were great. I enjoyed them. The original source of the movies - Ju On : The Grudge(2000) was a good movie but some of the other stuff within the Ju On titles is a hard pass.

dispatch.o on
  • Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    In the "not THAT scary but an enjoyable horror movie that I thought about and grew scary later" is The Ritual for me.

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    HybridHybrid South AustraliaRegistered User regular
    The things that got to me the most are probably Noroi, Lake Mungo, the Babadook and that bbc Ghostwatch thing from like the early 90's if you can find a way to see that.

• Options
    SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    It Follows and The Descent are always the two I recommend out of the gates.
    Pet Sematary (the original) has a place in my heart too for how much Zelda scared the piss out of me as a lad.
    Lake Mungo is also a good recommendation.

• Options
    E.CoyoteE.Coyote Registered User regular
    Cujo for jump scares as well. When I was a kid I used a Teddy Ruxpin to record the audio when it aired on TV. ^.^

• Options
    PotatoNinjaPotatoNinja Fake Gamer Goat Registered User regular
    +1 for It Follows, great movie. Generally agree with the other recs so far too.

Not a movie but Haunting of Hill House on Netflix is excellent. Same team did some other horror shows on Netflix, good but not amazing.

Event Horizon isn't what I'd call "a good movie" but it has some good horror beats, recommended if you can tolerate some sci fi schlock with your horror.

Two goats enter, one car leaves
  • Options
    FiendishrabbitFiendishrabbit Registered User regular
    I might be weird, but so far the only horror movie that has actually scared me is Ringu (ie, the japanese movie they based The Ring on). It's a shoestring budget, but the slow buildup and the absolutely super creepy way Sakado moves... It's exploiting the same vibes as Blair witch, but did it 10 times better IMHO.

Although that lingering fright is probably heightened by the fact that a friend back then decided that it was a great prank to dress up as Sadako and knock on my dormroom door at 2 AM, 7 days after we watched the movie.

"The western world sips from a poisonous cocktail: Polarisation, populism, protectionism and post-truth"
    -Antje Jackelén, Archbishop of the Church of Sweden
  • Options
    BlindZenDriverBlindZenDriver Registered User regular
    Most traditional horror movies doesn't do it I think, but here are some that gets me in different ways:

Contagion (Matt Damon, Kate Winslet, Gwyneth Paltrow, Jude Law..)
    The Day After (1983)
    The Invisible Man (2020)
    The Happening (2008)
    Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1978)
    Pet Sematary (1989 and yes, it is spelled that way)
    also
    IT (Original version from like 30 years ago)

Bones heal, glory is forever.