As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Australian & NZ Politics: Double Dipping in Luxonry

• GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    There's no mention on the official website. Just that masks are required on flights at all levels.

• exisexis Registered User regular
    So one of the cases in Christchurch:
    - Unvaccinated
    - Hasn't been scanning in anywhere
    - Felt sick for the past week (since before Labour weekend, where who know how many people came into contact then spread throughout the South Island)

Makes it all feel a bit fucking pointless doesn't it.

• FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    My brother went on a road trip round the South Island in the school hols last month, and he said the apathy and outright contempt for pandemic protections was visible and noticeable. There were significant populations everywhere they went that were very much not following advice, and some smaller towns were basically living in 2019 for all the precautions taken.

Fortress South Island was very much a case of luck and denial, and I can believe they have got themselves a bad case of a false sense of security, which, you know, I hope they continue to be lucky, but sooner or later that luck will run out and they really need to start putting in the effort Auckland has been putting in to actually protect the country from wild uncontrolled propogation.

X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    Saw on the news this morning a Sydney gym is now a hit stop with 15 linked cases.

This gym was praised by NSW health inspectors for their precautionary measures and called them the benchmark for Covid safe gyms.

If true, it shows how little all the precautionary measures mean in indoor environments where people aren’t following personal precautions as well.

• lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    exis wrote: »
    - Unvaccinated
    - Felt sick for the past week (since before Labour weekend, where who know how many people came into contact then spread throughout the South Island)

It's all so very demoralising.

70+ days.

And all for what.

I'm so very much of the "I really don't want the whole South Island to find out" but at the same time like, have a little empathy for what Auckland has been going through.

And I just..... It's very complicated, the feelings in my head.

• AntoshkaAntoshka Miauen Oil Change LazarusRegistered User regular
    It was actually interesting talking to my neighbor yesterday, an older classic car collector, as vaccination came up
    - Unvaccinated

70+ days.

And all for what.

I'm so very much of the "I really don't want the whole South Island to find out" but at the same time like, have a little empathy for what Auckland has been going through.

I mean, this is quite literally what the Government has been saying the reason that they can't be at a lower alert level, consistently throughout.

That this apparently meant that no-one bothered to listen to just justification, and it will instead be the Government's fault that they allowed people to travel there, I'm sure we'll hear this afternoon.

n57PM0C.jpg
  • discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    -Loki- wrote: »
    Saw on the news this morning a Sydney gym is now a hit stop with 15 linked cases.

This gym was praised by NSW health inspectors for their precautionary measures and called them the benchmark for Covid safe gyms.

If true, it shows how little all the precautionary measures mean in indoor environments where people aren’t following personal precautions as well.

Probably need people using gyms to take rapid tests before using the space.
    They're just too at risk for transmission.

• lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Antoshka wrote: »
    It was actually interesting talking to my neighbor yesterday, an older classic car collector, as vaccination came up
    - Unvaccinated

70+ days.

And all for what.

I mean, this is quite literally what the Government has been saying the reason that they can't be at a lower alert level, consistently throughout.

That this apparently meant that no-one bothered to listen to just justification, and it will instead be the Government's fault that they allowed people to travel there, I'm sure we'll hear this afternoon.

I'm so tired of having to be the dependable one.

I'm exhausted

• MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    - Unvaccinated

70+ days.

And all for what.

I'm exhausted

I know that feeling. As a frontline worker at two sites (hospital and gatehouse dealing with regional and interstate drivers) I've had to keep a heigtened level of awareness the past 18 months at work. But because of all the lockdowns, homelife has been relatively easy, precaution wise, though i'M gOiNg KiNdA sTiR cRaZy.

We got out of lockdown last Friday (Melbournian), and given I'm a single person living alone, and noone able to be a buddy partner, I've literally had nothing to do when not at work for the past several months, and during the last period between lockdowns, several people up and quit, so I spent most of my time covering that.

So, what's on the schedule the next two weeks? 70 hours this week (just had another 24 dropped on me last night), and at least 55 next week.

And why? Because I'm apparently one of the few dependable ones.

Sorry for the gripebitching, but I'm furioxhausted. Too angry to calm down, too tired to get really angry.

Oh that last paragraph there.

I felt that in my soul.

Especially after today's press briefing. I actually turned it off early because I was getting really really fucked off at the reporters questions.

Furioxhausted. That's my word today. I'm stealing that now

• AntoshkaAntoshka Miauen Oil Change LazarusRegistered User regular
    MorganV wrote: »
    - Unvaccinated

70+ days.

And all for what.

I'm exhausted

Sorry for the gripebitching, but I'm furioxhausted. Too angry to calm down, too tired to get really angry.

You don't need to be sorry, but you do probably need to not simply accept that you're the dependable one, and take some time off there.

n57PM0C.jpg
  • -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited October 2021
    She is so done.

So of course the Federal Libs will run her in Warringah.

edit - please somehow catch Barilaro in this.

-Loki- on
    -Loki- wrote: »
    She is so done.

So of course the Federal Libs will run her in Warringah.

edit - please somehow catch Barilaro in this.

It'll be an indictment of them if they do.

It'll be a bigger indictment of the electorate if it works.

There's no way that having someone with this background should be better than some random scrub plucked from obscurity. The constituency of people who would vote for Gladys, but wouldn't vote for "generic conservative" should be non-existent.

But voters by and large, are fucking morons. I'm not even talking one party over the other. I'm referring to the reasons some people vote.

Someone I know is a staunch LNP voter, not because he believes in free markets, or whatever the LNP provide. But literally because "Labor have caucuses, they go into a room, and they decide things, and then everyone is in lock-step". It's not a policy preference. It's literally a massively flawed understanding of a party organization, but it's locked into his brain, and that's the reason he votes LNP.

• MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited October 2021
    She can't get more done than resigned so...

And yeah the libs will run her, and it'll probably work, because they live in a different universe.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    Is Gladys liked by anyone? She's disliked in this thread for obvious reasons and anti lockdown conservatives hate her with a passion. I guess that leaves pro lockdown conservatives? Which are a bigger faction than you'd expect.

edited October 2021
    Gvzbgul wrote: »
    Is Gladys liked by anyone? She's disliked in this thread for obvious reasons and anti lockdown conservatives hate her with a passion. I guess that leaves pro lockdown conservatives? Which are a bigger faction than you'd expect.

Ah, but she left North Sydney alone during lockdown, so they don’t have that hatred for her.

Warringah is in North Sydney, Abbott’s old seat that’s been a LNP bastion for 50 years until Independent Zali Steggall beat him last election. They’re not happy and are looking for anyone to run there who might have an ounce of popularity to win it back.

-Loki- on
    edited October 2021
    Aaaannnd Perrottet has been dragged into the ICAC.

Phone recordings from 2018 about the Wagga Wagga hospital.
    On one call, Mr Maguire told her he’d “talked to the Treasurer” and asked “how’s my hospital … am I getting my $170 million?”.

Later, Ms Berejiklian said: “I’ve already gotten you the Wagga hospital.”

“I just spoke to Dom, and I said just put the (money) in the budget. He goes ’No worries’. He just does what I ask him to do.”

Of course being Newscorp the headline is “ “Why do you do what Gladys says and not what I say?”: Perrottet says he and wife joked over ICAC evidence”.

-Loki- on
  • plufimplufim Dr Registered User regular
    My gosh, if this ICAC claims the new premiere as well as the old one 😆

3DS 0302-0029-3193 NNID plufim steam plufim PSN plufim
    steam_sig.png
  • discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    Can the ICAC actually impose penalties for this, or can the Liberal party just own corruption and say 'Of course we just give money to our business mates'?

edited October 2021
    discrider wrote: »
    Can the ICAC actually impose penalties for this, or can the Liberal party just own corruption and say 'Of course we just give money to our business mates'?

ICAC can’t directly prosecute, but it can recommend it to the Director of Public Prosecutions.
    plufim wrote: »
    My gosh, if this ICAC claims the new premiere as well as the old one 😆

I was wondering why there was so little resistance to Perrottet. Maybe they let him go in knowing that he’d get dragged into the ICAC but not before taking the brunt of the quick opening after lockdown they all wanted.

-Loki- on
    Checking in on our Welly whānau
    @Fishman @The Zombie Penguin

You all good today?

• The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    Checking in on our Welly whānau

You all good today?

Nowhere near the protesting idiots, so so far, so good!

Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
    Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
    Switch: 0293 6817 9891
  • FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    I'm in the office today but fortunately we're off the protest route and far enough away to be blissfully unaware should we choose to be so. We didn't even go into partial lockdown as we sometimes do, although I believe my wife's work got some vague threats.

I hear the protest's braking up now, but I may take a circuitous route back to the train station to avoid the loonies. I saw the Hell's Angel's arrive this morning and I'd prefer not to have to deal with crowds of attendees following the superspreader event.

• ButlerButler 89 episodes or bust Registered User regular
    Aussies, are you tired of not having any options you really believe in when casting your vote? GetUp has you covered.

Vote here for your """favourite""" example of coalition government corruption

• Mr RayMr Ray Sarcasm sphereRegistered User regular
    Oof, its hard to pick which is worst, but for me its got to be the barrier reef foundation, the sports rort, and the Foxtel thing. The first two because although they're not necessarily worse than any of the others they're considerably more blatant, and the last because Rupert can just fuck off forever in general.

Mr Ray wrote: »
    Oof, its hard to pick which is worst, but for me its got to be the barrier reef foundation, the sports rort, and the Foxtel thing. The first two because although they're not necessarily worse than any of the others they're considerably more blatant, and the last because Rupert can just fuck off forever in general.

I went with sports rorts, regional growth grants (McCormack), and Porter. The first two because they're both the most egregious (attempting to directly influence voters) and because they're the most expensive ($100M and $272M respectively).

I seriously considered the Foxtel thing, because of how bullshit it is, but like you, it was mostly about one of the people involved. And that had strong competition between Joyce and Dutton, the former I hate due to massive hypocrisy, the latter because he's an anthropomorphic thumb.

But even though it only tangentially ties into his real crime, I went with the guy that's likely a rapist. I may hate corruption, I may hate hypocrisy. But that guy? Nope. Just nope.

• SolventSolvent Econ-artist กรุงเทพมหานครRegistered User regular
    edited November 2021

(Pauline Hanson's One Nation is a terrible political party)

Look, credit where it's due, this is pretty funny. Don't vote One Nation though, fr.

Edit: Y u no embed tweet?

Solvent on
    I don't know where he got the scorpions, or how he got them into my mattress.

http://newnations.bandcamp.com

There's apparently going to be another dumb protest in Wellington tomorrow.

There going to be intentionally gridlocking a highway. I didn't see which one.

But basically, I guess, don't go driving tomorrow.

Yeah, that was the threat on Tuesday if their 'demands' weren't met.

Unfortunately I have to rush eldest from music lessons in the boonies to a friend's birthday party in the city, so there's a non-zero chance I'm going to get caught in an excessively disruptive traffic event with two increasingly fraught and frustrated children in a combination of both upset and anxious, so I've got that to look forward to.

Ugh

That sounds

Decidedly not fun.

May the caffeine gods be with you, friend.

• The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular

There's apparently going to be another dumb protest in Wellington tomorrow.

There going to be intentionally gridlocking a highway. I didn't see which one.

But basically, I guess, don't go driving tomorrow.

I don't drive, so it's fine right? (This is a lie, fuck those protesters).

Am out on Sunday, but thankfully my flatmate and I managed to pick the theatre that's not in the same place the bloody mongrel mob are having their 50th anniversary.

Good luck @Fishman

Apparently the 'rolling gridlock' protest is starting in Haitaitai, where they will travel at 25kmh through the city.

I mean, hats off to them with the audacious attempt to speed up traffic to half the speed limit through the city's most notorious bottleneck on a rainy Saturday morning, I haven't made it through Vic tunnel with free flowing traffic on a weekend in years. Most reports I have found are reporting any current protest action is indistinguishable from our regular weekend midday traffic bollocks.

Social media reports indicate protest may currently consist of a person in blackface and a fully armoured medieval knight hanging out near the Haitaitai footbridge, presumably slowly melting/rusting in the several hours of constant light rain we've had today.

Man, imagine having a full set of medieval armor that you can wear (a personal goal of mine because it'd be cool as fuck ontop of solving halloween costumes forever!) and wasting it on something like that.

Man, imagine having a full set of medieval armor that you can wear (a personal goal of mine because it'd be cool as fuck ontop of solving halloween costumes forever!) and wasting it on something like that.

Also, slightly off key.

"Remember the time when plaguerats used to be actual plaguerats?"

• plufimplufim Dr Registered User regular
    The Melbourne protests really didn't bring their best.19xzkc3d9pfr.png

3DS 0302-0029-3193 NNID plufim steam plufim PSN plufim
    steam_sig.png
    "But what about the first amendment!"

Yeah, we don't have one of those, dipshit.

Just goes to show, wilful ignorance isn't solely an American trait. They've just had a lot more practice at it.

• exisexis Registered User regular
    Man, I think I need to just avoid any sort of social media, or news, for a bit. I am seeing more and more deranged and kinda scarily hateful phrasing coming from anti-vaxx circles. Some of which is spilling over to people that I would have usually considered fairly reasonable. The vaccine mandates have really forced some of these people to commit hard either way and it bums me out immensely to see how many are choosing to lean hard into the borderline conspiracy theories around government control. I just feel like, covid aside, this is engendering a real irrational paranoia that is going to be really harmful in the long-term. Like harmful in the "I'm going to vote for the demagogue because he's speaking truth to big science" kinda way. I know this can be traced back to more influences than the pandemic but fuck, I am getting extremely stressed and worried about the long-term future of this country and the way that we treat each other.

Oh yeah.

And with climate change thundering down on us... Yeah.

Yeah.

• ArchangleArchangle Registered User regular
    plufim wrote: »
    The Melbourne protests really didn't bring their best.19xzkc3d9pfr.png
    Oh god, "Birth Bonds" - one of the fastest ways to demonstrate that you're a Sovereign Citizen idiot.

For those of you blissfully unaware, one of the tenets of Sovereign Citizenry is that any legal interaction can be treated as a contract negotiation - so if you refuse to agree with any legal statute, then it doesn't apply to you!

One of the enduring myths of how They (tm) get you, is that when you're born a bond is taken out in your name - thereby establishing a financial relationship from which power to enforce all other legal statutes derives. "Clever" Sovereign Citizens can get around this by various methods such as being oddly specific about their name, or writing a carefully worded letter to the Governor General asking for the bond to be returned. The upshot of which is that if the so-called birth bond no longer applies to you, then neither do any laws! With a further upshot that successfully getting your bond returned grants you Millions of Dollars (tm).

As with all SovCit woo, it's complete nonsense - but birth bonds, gold fringed flags, and maritime references are all dead giveaways to prepare for incoherent garbage.