As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Android] Thread v. 2018: Pixel 6 is out. Google might be bad at phones.

• DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    Mugsley wrote: »
    Ugh. Small hands man loses again.

I didn't realize the two Pixel 6 SKUs were so close in size. I'll have to reconsider!

Also I'm starting to see a smattering of cases that absorb the camera bump but nothing that makes me completely happy

I hadn't noticed the camera bump on my first look at the phone, but I just saw it on a couple of video reviews and I've never gone from earnest interest to complete disinterest in a product so quickly. Hello, I would like a futuristic thin slice of technology please, not a thin slice with a rectangle attached.

• useruser Registered User regular
    Mugsley wrote: »
    Ugh. Small hands man loses again.

I didn't realize the two Pixel 6 SKUs were so close in size. I'll have to reconsider!

Also I'm starting to see a smattering of cases that absorb the camera bump but nothing that makes me completely happy

I have small hands, and I just got in my Pixel 6... and dang, it is massive! If the gesture controls weren't pretty flexible about what edge I swipe from, I probably would have to return it -- I do not like this incremental creep in size, but it's definitely a snappier experience from my prior Pixel 3 -- and it's not like anyone else is making small phones with flagship specs :-(

• DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    Apple makes small phones with flagship features, right? iPhone mini...

:P

There are some rumors of a 5G palm phone, we'll see if anything comes of them

• AbsalonAbsalon Lands of Always WinterRegistered User regular
    Definitely aiming to get a Redmi Note 11, once it gets to Europe. I feel like I can rely on Xiaomi.

• wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular

And there are also rumours that the iPhone 12 mini sold so poorly compared to the rest of the iPhone line that the 13 mini will be the last "mini" flagship phone.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    wunderbar wrote: »

And there are also rumours that the iPhone 12 mini sold so poorly compared to the rest of the iPhone line that the 13 mini will be the last "mini" flagship phone.

Yeah it probably doesn't help that roughly 50% of the population has been forced to live without pockets most days so smaller phones have less appeal to them.

PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    The pocket thing seems kinda weird, because all I hear about is how awful women's clothing is because it doesn't have pockets. So clearly, there is a huge demand here - it seems like creating your own clothing company that had women's clothing with decent pockets would be a slam dunk, but every time some new startup makes that a priority, it gets some press and then peters out and dies after a while. Clearly the situation is more complicated than it appears.

The simplest answer to phone sizes is that larger screens are better for media consumption, and your average cellphone has gone from a portable telephone you can play Snake on to a fullblown portable computer that also, as an aside, has the ability to make phonecalls. Phones started off huge, and then they got tiny, and now they've gotten huge again... maybe technology really is cyclical after all.

I really do think that long term the idea of the foldable/rollable/transformable device will be what solves that problem.

The Z Flip 3 might be a little thick when folded, but it is literally half the size of a flagship phone, which should allow it to fit into more pockets. the Z Fold 3 I have is a iPad Mini sized tablet that I can fold into something that appoximates a regular phone, albeit thicker and heavier.

As that technology evolves, we'll see solutions that let you have something small that can turn into that pocket computer.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
    I'm still not convinced foldable screens or their hinges will stand the test of time.

PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
    Butters wrote: »
    I'm still not convinced foldable screens or their hinges will stand the test of time.

And computers will never be small enough to fit on someone's desk! They're the size of entire rooms!

Current devices may not age well. I own one, so I hope it does, though I'm not going to lie I worry about winter. and realistically it could be several years before it hits the point where we don't have to worry about it. However, I do think it'll get there.

Hinges were the weakpoint in early flip phones as well and that was back when we really only used them for talk and text as oppose to literally everything.

I worry less about the hinges than I worry about the actual displays. The hinges are easily the most robust part of the devices, at least the ones I've had the opportunity to hold.

• ZiggymonZiggymon Registered User regular

From the standpoint of working with the Fold 1 Owning the Z Fold 2 for just over 12 months now and working with the Fold 3, I can tell you that the generational jumps in the hinge and the glass technology used has been pretty dramatic to the point where looking at the Fold 3 onwards I’d have no long term issues in recommending a foldable.

I worry less about the hinges than I worry about the actual displays. The hinges are easily the most robust part of the devices, at least the ones I've had the opportunity to hold.

When I demoed one at tha verizon store I did not like that I couldn't close it without having to push the middle in. That whole construct felt rather flimsy to me.

• Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    My roommate got the newest Fold and I was shocked because I worked at a Best Buy when selling the first two and we had a decent amount of warranty returns and stuff

When I demoed one at tha verizon store I did not like that I couldn't close it without having to push the middle in. That whole construct felt rather flimsy to me.

are you talking about pressing the middle of the screen? Because... you don't. I put my thumb anywhere on the bottom of the frame, usually near the USB C port, and it closes fine.

you don't want the hinge to close too easily becuase you don't want it wobbling if you're touching/interacting with the screen.

It arrived today. Big props to the shipping provider for leaving a $1k+ device in a box on my front door without even knocking.

I got everything transferred, logins updated, etc. The new device plugging directly into the old device via USB and transferring data kinda feels like it is sucking the life force out of the old phone, doubly so when I used the wireless charging feature on the old phone to charge the new one. I'm coming from a Note 10+ so the screen being a tiny bit thinner took me a minute to get used to when typing. The difference between 60hz and 120hz is pretty subtle but definitely noticeable when going back and forth between the two.

The hinge seems like the sort of thing that will be visible for the first day or two, but then I'll stop noticing it completely (similar to the camera punchout in my previous phone). I think I'll miss the S-Pen though.

When it's folded I get real strong GBA SP vibes. It's neat.

• BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    It arrived today. Big props to the shipping provider for leaving a $1k+ device in a box on my front door without even knocking.

I got everything transferred, logins updated, etc. The new device plugging directly into the old device via USB and transferring data kinda feels like it is sucking the life force out of the old phone, doubly so when I used the wireless charging feature on the old phone to charge the new one. I'm coming from a Note 10+ so the screen being a tiny bit thinner took me a minute to get used to when typing. The difference between 60hz and 120hz is pretty subtle but definitely noticeable when going back and forth between the two.

The hinge seems like the sort of thing that will be visible for the first day or two, but then I'll stop noticing it completely (similar to the camera punchout in my previous phone). I think I'll miss the S-Pen though.

When it's folded I get real strong GBA SP vibes. It's neat.

I got the same feeling and so want to make a fake SP case or stickers to put on mine when it gets older.

oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
  • ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    The best part of folding phones is the best part of flip phones.

Slamming them shut to end a call because you're mad.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    Wow the new calculator update is horrible. The alarm app moving where the swipe to turn off function was is annoying and generally not an improvement, but the calculator is just...staaap.

What really throws me on is swipe down is only four options, and they moved tap to pay off the power button and onto the swipe down. Maybe there's some settings I can fiddle with but I don't like not having flashlight on first pull down

What really throws me on is swipe down is only four options, and they moved tap to pay off the power button and onto the swipe down. Maybe there's some settings I can fiddle with but I don't like not having flashlight on first pull down

So move it.
    e4cyjrb750g3.png

Yeah, I just did. But since it can only display four, I had to move internet settings off. So I have Bluetooth, Flashlight, Gpay and Battery Saver (my 4a's battery is rapidly deteriorating).

I really wanna wait out for a Pixel 6 if I can make it but need my phone to get to work most days

• SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular

??? You just need to unlock your phone though?

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
    SyphonBlue wrote: »

??? You just need to unlock your phone though?

To tap to pay? I've never had that work I don't think. Before on pixel, it was hold power to bring up card tap. If it was on all the time while unlocked I wouldn't feel comfortable anyways.

88nz9ardgklu.png

You can also pull down with two fingers to access the full notification shade.

• SirToastySirToasty Registered User regular
    edited October 2021
    Yeah you shouldn't need to pull up the tap-to-pay screen to actually use it. Just unlock your phone and hold it up.

I don't really think you should be worried about it being on all the time unless you're passing your phone over every terminal that someone is trying to use.

SirToasty on
    yeah, tap to pay should work with the phone unlocked and the screen on. generally the google pay app can be brought up if you need to use a card that's not the default.

And it's really not an issue. with the range of NFC being basically zero it's all but impossible for anything bad to happen.

And as a reminder, in Europe, Canada, etc we've all had tap to pay on our credit/debit cards for a decade or longer and there hasn't been any widespread issue with payments. And there's no locking those.

If someone is trying to steal your card data by grabbing NFC data, they're close enough that you should be punching them because ew.

I dunno man, I've been on public transit that was so busy it was practically nuts to butts a few times. It's certainly possible, but I doubt very much that it is probable.

• ZiggymonZiggymon Registered User regular
    Shadowfire wrote: »
    If someone is trying to steal your card data by grabbing NFC data, they're close enough that you should be punching them because ew.

Well in the UK there has been cases where criminals have stolen data via NFC but it’s mostly when using vending machines or ticket booths directly with a bank card. Phones to my knowledge aren’t affected by it due to the extra encrypted measures.

I'm extra paranoid because I've been burned by fake scanners at gas stations and such (just Chicago things)

Is there a way to turn off NFC unless I press the button? I honestly didn't know it worked like that, I may end up taking my card off my phone and using a dummy card with a bit of cash on it or something

• MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    edited October 2021
    You can turn it off from main settings by searching for NFC, and turn it on by tapping a card then tapping the icon above a card. Doesn't seem to be an easy way to toggle it like previously.

I'm really disliking 12.

Edit: If you want to use it but not have it tried to a main card, take a look at Venmo debit or One Finance. Both are free true debit cards where you can only spend what's on the account.

One has some dumb pseudo credit thing but it's optional.

MichaelLC on
  • MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    You can also link Pay to the dummy card. I have a Fidelity account used purely for spending cash because it refunds ATM fees. I keep the balance under $500.

I'm extra paranoid because I've been burned by fake scanners at gas stations and such (just Chicago things)

Is there a way to turn off NFC unless I press the button? I honestly didn't know it worked like that, I may end up taking my card off my phone and using a dummy card with a bit of cash on it or something

I won't tell you what you're comfortable with or not, since do what you want. I will only say that while yes, technically NFC can be hacked, it is infinitely more secure than the old stripe technology was/is. and NFC can't be compromised in the same way the stripe was, at least not in any practical sense. the magnetic stripe could be copied, and then used as it it was the regular credit card. Tap to pay uses a token that doesn't behave the same way, and again since the range is basically zero, there chances of having a compromised card is essentially zero.

NFC tap to pay is easily the safest physical payment method for a card.

The US was hilariously far behind on getting off stripe and sign because of the deregulated nature of US banks. Until a few years ago, banks decided that the cost of dealing with compromise was less than dealing with the cost of actually moving to a secure technology, which is why card compromise was relatively common in the US. a few years ago the liability on payouts for compromised cards moved to merchants from banks, and that was enough to get both merchants and banks to update their terminals to support chip cards like most of the rest of the western world had been doing for a decade. And even then, when many banks in the US finally started issuing chip cards, which are much more secure than stripe cards, they went with chip and sign instead of chip and pin like the rest of the western world. In canada, 99% of card readers actually won't even take swipe anymore. There are only a few terminals that accept it, and the compatability is mostly maintined for the rare card, usually from someone from the US that doesn't have a chip.

It's kind of funny because tap to pay from phones didn't take off in a lot of areas in Canada and Europe as fast as it did in the US because we moved to chip and pin years ago, and added tap to pay to our cards as well.

I actually cannot begin to explain how foreign the US system of paying for things still is to even those of us in Canada. The US was/is so far behind in physical payment systems that it seems backwards.

I've had a credit card compromised 3 times in my life, all three were from mag stripe skimming, and the last one was from when I visited New Orleans and remains the only time in the last 10 years that I've actually had to use the mag stripe on my credit card.

• BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    I can only speak for my narrow slice of california but when we moved to chip cards it was chip and PIN on chip-reading terminals

BahamutZERO.gif
  • emp123emp123 Registered User regular
    I dont think I've ever had to enter a pin number when using the chip, even in countries where there were a bunch of warnings about needing to set up a pin to use your credit card.

State side some places still want signatures though.

• NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    emp123 wrote: »
    I dont think I've ever had to enter a pin number when using the chip, even in countries where there were a bunch of warnings about needing to set up a pin to use your credit card.

When they forced chips on everyone, they entirely fucked up by not also requiring pins. typical shit for the US though.

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
    Because getting the olds to remember a pin is never happening. Same reason they all want no code on their phone and get angry at the thought of a password on their email account.

• SirToastySirToasty Registered User regular
    emp123 wrote: »

The store I used to work at still doesn't have chip. It's all swipe. Employees were complaining about it years ago and corporate keeps saying it's on the way. Meanwhile they're constantly getting fraud prevention training and being sent black lights and having to call in for verification.