As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Fallout] Remember when we said no NPC's or Companions in West Virginia ? Never mind.

• The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    So, should I just jump into a Daily ops group, even though I don't really know what I'm doing? I've watched guides, it seems simple enough, but since I'm only 53 and don't have much gear, I don't know if I'll be much help.

Do people mind taking along "lowbies"? Is it just something people knock out and don't make much of a deal over?

Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• SyngyneSyngyne Registered User regular
    I think as long as you’re not just sitting at the entrance letting the rest of the team do all the work you’ll be fine. Just stick close to everyone else and help out. For Uplink, make sure you stick to the signal boosters when they’re active and don’t wander off chasing enemies.

5gsowHm.png
    Yeah I've done a couple now, and the enemies are harder and I really don't have the gear to stand up like some of these folks, but I can still contribute. Do tasks, pick off the weaker enemies, etc.

Pretty fun, super quick. I'm curious if you can only get credit for your first per day toward the weekly. It'd be cool to get that extra bit of score. I'm not sure when the season ends, but I'm not sure mathematically I can complete it unless they do more of these double daily score weekends.

Not a huge deal either way, as I wasn't even aware of the seasonal thing when I started playing again anyway. I'm just here for the Fallout.

edited October 2021
    If anyone was wondering, yes, additional ones each day do count toward the weekly one, so I guess you could run 5 on Monday and still get it.

Also, holy crap, I'm going to do them when they come up for ammo alone. They are under 10m (obviously ideally, I had one that was 9m earlier and just did one that was 5m), and everything drops ammo for the weapon you're currently using. Flamer fuel is a massive pain in the ass to keep in stock, but I just got about 1000 over what I started with, and I only switched to it from my Fixer halfway through.

I'll just treat them as ammo runs if I've already got the daily rewards.

Also also, I just was made aware I can turn my junk into bulk and sell to vendors. I've thrown away thousands and thousands of wood and steel and cloth just to try to keep my inventory down. :rotate: Oh well!

EDIT: also I made a full set of heavy combat armor that I made BoS style, so I've got about twice the resistances I did before, so surviving in the daily op was WAY more reasonable. Good stuff! I just need to find the flamer plan so i can scrap more to get the mods to make a better one that's not level 30. :rotate: (E: holy crap that's an expensive plan. I think i'll just hope I find it in the wild or at a player vendor. I'm still a poor player, but I should start doing the tedious stuff like selling water to just maximize caps each day.)

EDITEDIT: I'm sure some people might have known, but for the costume portion of the event, as long as any thing you're wearing is a "costume", you don't have to be wearing a full costume. So if you have a hat that is a costume, it counts. I just found this out this morning.

EDITTHETHIRD: 300 scrips a day isn't enough! What should I be spending these on? I bought a bunch of legendary crafting things from the Rusty Pick, but I'm not sure how often they get in stock? I guess the cap is 5000 or something high now, so I don't need to feel like I need to spend them I suppose. I mean, 300 isn't enough because I get way more legendaries to sell than the 300 scrips I can get. I suppose I can just vendor them for even more caps, since I'm not using them anyway and I'll likely get a bunch more as I play normally. I'm sure that number will go down after the Halloween event and there's not just free legendaries in every group of scorched, but I don't have the stash space to just hold onto the things.

The Dude With Herpes on

Reset timers are an absolute mess in this game.

Dailies reset at 10am MDT, but Daily Ops don't reset until 11am. Every currency seems to have a reset timer based not on a time of day, but from whatever time you interact with that currency after the previous reset, and then 20 hours later.

I get that the 20 hours thing is meant to be player friendly, so that it can make it so you typically have access to currencies and caps whenever your playtime typically is the next day, but it just makes it more confusing than if it were a set time that was a time that many people are at school/work or otherwise occupied, in the mornings (or middle of the night). However, then I know that isn't super friendly to players outside of the timezone or even country the reset is.

But if they're going to do it the way they do, they need to have a quick menu you can pull up like FFXIV does, where you can see your various timers, so there's no guesswork.

Anyway, hit 75 this morning, haven't unlocked my second Legendary Perk slot yet. It appears the only way to get Perk Coins is to scrap Perk cards? I guess I should be scrapping stuff then, but instead I'm just trying to collect a max level of every Perk. Maybe that's counterproductive? I dunno! :rotate:

edited November 2021
    Oh my god, how are all these bloodbugs even alive without any meat inside of them?

Also, I claim this thread as my own personal blog now!

EDIT: After getting 2 levels killing 4 bloodbugs and hopping servers, I finally just went and scoured some meat bags and finally got one. :rotate:

The Dude With Herpes on

Jeez, I did a Scorchbeast Queen event earlier, and the server kept locking up during the fight.

No one was dying or anything, but apparently it just kept spawning random scorched enemies, even while it was freezing, so when everything seemed to actually clear up and it was running again, there were so many enemies everywhere, including a couple other scorchbeasts. There were a ton of people there, and we managed to kill them all, and in the process of one event I got 5 levels. :rotate: Not much in the way of decent loot, but whatever, perk cards feel more helpful to me at the moment anyway.

But it's becoming clear that I can't keep up with the amount of ammo I need for the activities in the later game. I burned through nearly 2000 fuel and another 1000+ .45 ammo for that one event. How much ammo I get from the daily ops is entirely dependent on what the modifiers are, and whether or not it's a massive map and/or the teammates are super high level and just zip around outside of the range I get credit, and thus ammo, for. Sometimes I'll come out way ahead, sometimes I barely break even.

I wish there were gear loadouts, like there are for perks or camps. I've been running around with the Chinese Stealth Armor, and it's more than good enough when I'm playing solo, but it's about useless in major events or Daily ops, where stealth is completely broken (as in, it's impossible to get into stealth in some instances). For those I need just armor (I don't have the perks or mods yet for power armor to be super helpful, so I just run heavy combat armor), but there's rarely enough time to swap before teams fill up or events just get railroaded by a mob of high level players.

I should probably also find another automatic weapon that doesn't use .45 for when I run out of ammo.

• Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    Are bloodbugs the most forgettable Fallout enemies ever?

Feels like it. Even bloatflies are more amusing in their patheticness.

Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
    edited November 2021
    Dr. Chaos wrote: »
    Are bloodbugs the most forgettable Fallout enemies ever?

Feels like it. Even bloatflies are more amusing in their patheticness.

Bloodbugs are irritating as all hell. In the sense that they're just massive mosquitos, I think they nailed them in that regard.

They're just weirdly infuriating to actually hit, even with VATS. Hell, swarms of bees are less finicky.

I just wanted one meat to unlock that cooking recipe, and I got it, so I don't care about them anymore.

Unless I try to get pioneer badges, and then the Campfire event spawns an unreasonable amount of them.

EDIT: Oh hey, the popcorn machine actually has to be plugged in. :rotate:

The Dude With Herpes on

• urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    Does anyone have suggestions on Fallout 4 mods? I keep having the urge to play but the last 6 times I tried I quit about an hour into it.

• Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    edited November 2021
    What stops you?
    What is the the experience you're after?

(serious questions)

Commander Zoom on
    What stops you?

(serious questions)

It's usually a "been there done that" because I've put like 80 hours in it. Just wasn't sure if there was an overhaul mod or something that makes it feel a tad different. Like the one for Skyrim that redoes all of the skills and stuff.

Ah, thanks for clarifying. I thought you were talking about playing it for the first time ever, and having some aspect of it turn you off, rather than having "done it all" already.

Ah, thanks for clarifying. I thought you were talking about playing it for the first time ever, and having some aspect of it turn you off, rather than having "done it all" already.

Nah that was my fault. I'm a big Fallout fan so I tend to play the hell out of them at release.

• FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    There are a few big total conversions coming, but I don't think they're out yet.

There's a "free trial" for 1st this week. It lets you have access to the scrap box, a couple other things that you get to keep, and use the field tents for the week.

And via this, I've learned that the perk that reduces scrap weight doesn't apply to your Stash, only your person, and that's why my stash is perpetually full. That seems wrong? The perk doesn't say "junk items you carry", just all junk items. And in fact, the weight when you look at the item when it's in your stash is the reduced weight, yet it takes up the full weight anyway. That kinda dramatically reduces the usefulness of that perk. Bleh.

Well, supposedly they won't remove your scrap box after the trial ends, and you can continue to take things out of it, just not put in. I'll be curious to see if they keep the weight out or your main stash after the trial. I might just start grabbing everything and filling the scrap box with as much as I possibly can before the end of the week and just use it when I need it afterward.

• Pixelated PixiePixelated Pixie They/Them Registered User regular
    80 hours, huh? So you've only just started it? :lol:
    xepprxgwngf2.png

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Chipmunks are like nature's nipple clamps, I guess?
  • GlaziusGlazius Registered User regular
    urahonky wrote: »
    What stops you?

(serious questions)

It's usually a "been there done that" because I've put like 80 hours in it. Just wasn't sure if there was an overhaul mod or something that makes it feel a tad different. Like the one for Skyrim that redoes all of the skills and stuff.

I think you might want Hot Diggity for a same game different skills experience.

• Werewolf2000adWerewolf2000ad Suckers, I know exactly what went wrong. Registered User regular
    There's a "free trial" for 1st this week. It lets you have access to the scrap box, a couple other things that you get to keep, and use the field tents for the week.

And via this, I've learned that the perk that reduces scrap weight doesn't apply to your Stash, only your person, and that's why my stash is perpetually full. That seems wrong? The perk doesn't say "junk items you carry", just all junk items. And in fact, the weight when you look at the item when it's in your stash is the reduced weight, yet it takes up the full weight anyway. That kinda dramatically reduces the usefulness of that perk. Bleh.

Well, supposedly they won't remove your scrap box after the trial ends, and you can continue to take things out of it, just not put in. I'll be curious to see if they keep the weight out or your main stash after the trial. I might just start grabbing everything and filling the scrap box with as much as I possibly can before the end of the week and just use it when I need it afterward.

The weight stays in the stash box after the trial, so yeah, fill it up as much as you can.

steam_sig.png
    EVERYBODY WANTS TO SIT IN THE BIG CHAIR, MEG!
  • ChiselphaneChiselphane Registered User regular
    I've stuck with 76 for a few weeks now and I've mostly come around on it. I'd say moving from strong dislike to mild enjoyment. Some of the locations and atmosphere are as good as anything in the series, but many of the online aspects just continually intrude. I wish there was a way to turn off a lot of the notification stuff, that's the biggest annoyance remaining to me. This event starting, oh you leveled up SCORE, oh look at this, wow look at that. Smashes my focus every time.

It reminds me of eating a good sandwich on a windy beach, like I'm enjoying the meal but grains of sand keep getting in my mouth no matter what.

Well, lame, it seems like the range of camp turrets are too low to put them on top of a brotherhood of steel tower, and have them function as useful defenses. Maybe others are longer range, but for the Missile Turrets it seems to be a nope.

I guess I somewhat understand why they changed the ranges (seemingly, I'm not an expert) from the FO4 turrets, but I'll have to figure out something different for a camp I want to be more permeant and also defended from random crap.

Also I need to find a location I like that isn't super popular so that I don't have my camp not able to be deployed so frequently, but also apparently not near any sort of cliff? I picked a location I thought was good last night and spent a lot of time on a base (which was centered around the tower, which turned out to be a bust anyway), and fast traveled a bunch of times to get a feel for where it teleported, and none of them were down the hill outside of the camp area, but now this afternoon I log in, go sell some crap, then teleport back and I've got to walk around a cliff face up a hill to get to my base and nope. I'd like to be able to fast travel to my base and be able to do anything I need quickly, and that doesn't even take into account players teleporting there to use my vendor being confused when they get teleported somewhere they can't even see the base itself. I mean, people can put their camps where they'd like, but I find it frustrating sometimes when I teleport to a base and I'm either at the bottom of the cliff they build their camp on, inside geometry, or otherwise somewhere where it's not immediately obvious where the actual camp is at. Again, more Bethesdas fault than players fault, but it seems like something that should be fairly trivial to solve.

Just give everyone a buildable item that creates a node that is where players fast travel to. In FO4 building a floormat did this. And it just occurred to me that I didn't even try that here, but I don't think they have that functionality.

• CroakerBCCroakerBC TorontoRegistered User regular
    Well, lame, it seems like the range of camp turrets are too low to put them on top of a brotherhood of steel tower, and have them function as useful defenses. Maybe others are longer range, but for the Missile Turrets it seems to be a nope.

I guess I somewhat understand why they changed the ranges (seemingly, I'm not an expert) from the FO4 turrets, but I'll have to figure out something different for a camp I want to be more permeant and also defended from random crap.

Also I need to find a location I like that isn't super popular so that I don't have my camp not able to be deployed so frequently, but also apparently not near any sort of cliff? I picked a location I thought was good last night and spent a lot of time on a base (which was centered around the tower, which turned out to be a bust anyway), and fast traveled a bunch of times to get a feel for where it teleported, and none of them were down the hill outside of the camp area, but now this afternoon I log in, go sell some crap, then teleport back and I've got to walk around a cliff face up a hill to get to my base and nope. I'd like to be able to fast travel to my base and be able to do anything I need quickly, and that doesn't even take into account players teleporting there to use my vendor being confused when they get teleported somewhere they can't even see the base itself. I mean, people can put their camps where they'd like, but I find it frustrating sometimes when I teleport to a base and I'm either at the bottom of the cliff they build their camp on, inside geometry, or otherwise somewhere where it's not immediately obvious where the actual camp is at. Again, more Bethesdas fault than players fault, but it seems like something that should be fairly trivial to solve.

Just give everyone a buildable item that creates a node that is where players fast travel to. In FO4 building a floormat did this. And it just occurred to me that I didn't even try that here, but I don't think they have that functionality.

The minute you do that, you’ll have griefers building narrow platforms over bottomless pits, surrounding it with traps and defenders, then throwing a doormat into the middle and giggling madly.

Ah, yeah, fair enough. :lol:

• Pixelated PixiePixelated Pixie They/Them Registered User regular
    Am I misremembering? I could have sworn there already was a floormat in 76 that did exactly that?

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Chipmunks are like nature's nipple clamps, I guess?
  • CroakerBCCroakerBC TorontoRegistered User regular
    Am I misremembering? I could have sworn there already was a floormat in 76 that did exactly that?

There was one for workshops but not for camps, last time I played.

edited November 2021
    Weak Bethesda.

You had to sneak in a pair of achievements that can't be completed by a single character. One or the other.

Exceptionally uncool.

EDIT: Also, haha fuck you Johnny.
    you died in a way that mirrored your actual value.

The Dude With Herpes on

So it seems like the only thing that carries between characters is things you've unlocked in the Atomic Shop and...Legendary Perk slots? I doubt leveling up the perks themselves is shared?

I guess that's a tiny bit of incentive to get to at least 300 if one were planning on playing long term and wanted multiple characters. Too bad plans and stuff aren't shared.

• SirialisSirialis of the Halite Throne. Registered User regular
    edited November 2021
    The worst part of Wastelanders is if you dont know how to get a certain suit (or that it even exists), you can miss it and it costs several thousand gold bullion to buy which is some fucking bullshit.

I didnt even miss getting it but people often messaged me to make it for them but it cant be shared of course.

I got all the achievements but the unstable crap engine prevents me from logging back in, the jetpack just feels like an amateur mod.

Sirialis on
    edited November 2021
    Yeah, I don't really even know what they can do about the suit at this point. It's fairly iconic to the series now, and its functionality is so specific that changing it in any way would make folks fairly frustrated.

But it's so absurdly powerful, in every game it's been in, including this one, that not using it (or having missed it because of unexplained quest progression, and then having to spend a couple weeks of bouillon on it) is counterproductive.

I just tried to change to a heavy gunner build, from the hybrid stealth/rifle/flamer build I had, and even though it's more focused and I should be more effective, I'm not, because I'm not getting the sneak damage buff and because I'm now a target that is actually shot at. :rotate:

I'm going back to the stealth build.

I guess the only thing they could change is removing the rad resistance, but even removing the damage resistances wouldn't really change much, because if you're getting hit, you either screwed up, encountered mole rats or radscorpions, or are in a daily op once every few days when the enemies have perception. :lol:

Sure, once you're a really high level and you can dump so many perk points into legendary perks to have so many perk slots that you can make a silly bloodied build, going stealth is just slowing yourself down; but at lower levels you really can't make it all synergize well enough to not feel hampered by something. Stealth takes a lot less investment, requires only a small handful of perks, no legendary perks, really, and can work with almost any weapon.

The suit just makes an already fairly straight forward build damn near unstoppable with very little tradeoff.

In fact, it's probably more powerful here given the fact that you can't just reload if you dick up. Might as well play a build that makes dying nearly impossible, even if you have to view the world from waist height. :lol:

EDIT: I mean it's not like dying is a major factor in FO76 either, it's more of a nuisance than anything; but there are some times in events and what not that if you die at the wrong time you can screw up your chance for a tag on a legendary or credit in an event. Losing scrap is an annoyance, but it's usually not hard to make it back to your corpse and you don't even drop your scrap in the majority of actually dangerous instanced content like Earl or Daily Ops.

The Dude With Herpes on

If power armor didn't exist, you'd all just be rolling stealth archer, like every (other) Elder Scrolls game.

What suit is this? I'm approaching 50 and since low 40s it's been a bit of a slog which feels mostly gear related. I've been trying not to read too much, preferring to play organically, but it becomes more and more necessary because I'll do so if I get stuck on something, and it's usually 'this thing everybody else already knows that you haven't been doing', and usually a big improvement as well.

• SyngyneSyngyne Registered User regular
    I ran around with the stealth suit for a while, but switched out for aesthetics reasons, the helmet just bugged me. Now if I’m not in PA I’m running around in a set of Enclave scout armor with an Secret Service helmet. Not as stealthy, but I like the look better, plus I get the fancy flashlight from the helmet.

5gsowHm.png
  • DecomposeyDecomposey Registered User regular
    If power armor didn't exist, you'd all just be rolling stealth archer, like every (other) Elder Scrolls game.

Stealth *sniper* thankyouverymuch

Before following any advice, opinions, or thoughts I may have expressed in the above post, be warned: I found Keven Costners "Waterworld" to be a very entertaining film.
  • HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular
    Decomposey wrote: »

Stealth *sniper* thankyouverymuch

He took a bullet to the knee.

Well, I'm getting to the point where I've completed all main/side quests, and all my character has left to do is possum badges and dailies.

The games as service stuff is starting to intrude a lot more into my playtime, as I find myself not wanting to do quests when it isn't also helping me complete dailies/weeklies, or if I've completed them all for the day/week, thinking I should just wait till next week so I'm not "wasting" time doing things that would complete objectives next week, now. :rotate: I managed to avoid that most of the time, but I think in part due to managing to somehow (probably due to a lot of double score events) almost complete the seasonal board, and feeling like "well, I got this close, I might as well just make sure I finish it", whereas if it weren't there, I'd just be playing to enjoy the game. :(

Which isn't to say I'm not enjoying it! I still am for sure. But I'm starting to see why the meta's are the meta's, and why extremely specific builds that are intended to do a very specific set of things (namely speed through instanced stuff with maximum XP) exist. There's no other way people would be level 500 if they were playing "normally", because there's simply not enough to do after you complete all the non-repeatable content. I'm 128 now, and I don't know if I'd have even gotten that high with just the main/side story stuff, for sure.

Eh, not a massive deal I guess. I should finish this season, and probably the story stuff, before the end of this season, and whether or not I play much next season will just depend on my mood I suppose, or what the seasonal rewards look like. It's unfortunate that it starts so close to when Endwalker comes out, so at the very least I imagine I'm going to miss most of the holiday events. Oh well!

When does the season change?

I believe they just announced that the changeover will be on the 8th; that's when the patch is, so season 6 should end and 7 will start.

Bah I'm no where even close to the stuff I'd like. Good to know so don't have to worry about it though, some tasks are a real drag

Ran into an initially frustrating but ultimately entertaining situation with an ally quest. I was working through Daguerre's story line and I'd talk to her, she'd say her first line and then just sit there. Leaving and restarting the conversation would result in 'that character is busy.'. Leaving the area would reset her, but always ended up with the sane result.

After trying this a few times, I noticed some other things going on. My base turrets were going crazy but that wasn't out of the ordinary really, at the time my base was too near a mongrel spawn. But it wasn't combat that was preventing her from talking. Another try or two, I happened to catch a glimpse of the other NPC in her quest, Emerson, wandering around the periphery of the camp. He wouldn't talk at all.

What solved it is instead of fast traveling to my camp, I walked up to it and thus saw what was happening. Getting close enough to Daguerre would trigger Emerson to run up and talk to her, but my turrets were treating him as a hostile and just unloading on him,making him run off out of range. So talking to Daguerre would hang because it'd be waiting for Emerson to chime in; meanwhile he's being perforated by a lead storm.

Temporarily removing all the turrets fixed it. But maybe my favorite moment in the game so far

• Jealous DevaJealous Deva Registered User regular
    Messing around with fallout 4 for some reason..,

Flora fx overhaul combined with boston natural environments is so freaking awesome… I have that with the 76 calamity weathers (calamity weathers modified with some 76ish ones) and it really sells the fall in New england look.