As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Weightlifting/Strength Training

• JuggernutJuggernut Registered User regular
    edited October 2021
    Still having a hard time getting back into a rhythm and finishing workouts. My time is just too crunched and it's getting harder for me to spring up and go workout for 2 hours after only sleeping for 3 or so.

Remind me to do more decline bench, tho. My lower pecs are lagging.

Also today I tried California presses for the first time and these are a life saver. Regular skullcrushers light up the tendons in my elbows but these don't and it feels like I can get more tricep activation. It's like the best parts of both skullcrushers and close grip tricep benchpresses.

Juggernut on
    Jesus, I think I have actual PTSD. I did 4 reps of 215 lbs on a box squat (lol), which is the heaviest I've been since I blew my leg and back out. Cut out short and sat down and realized my legs were shaking, not from exertion but from adrenaline. I called it there and moved on.

Damn. I dunno how to get over that. That last injury was traumatic enough and came out of nowhere that everytime I do squats now I'm expecting to feel a tendon snap and leave me crumpled up on the floor under the bar.

• Beef AvengerBeef Avenger Registered User regular
    edited October 2021
    stupid aggravated nerve in my back needs to calm down already. On day 3 of it, I want to go do stuff again

Beef Avenger on
    Steam ID
    PSN: Robo_Wizard1
  • SolarSolar Registered User regular
    Juggernut wrote: »
    Jesus, I think I have actual PTSD. I did 4 reps of 215 lbs on a box squat (lol), which is the heaviest I've been since I blew my leg and back out. Cut out short and sat down and realized my legs were shaking, not from exertion but from adrenaline. I called it there and moved on.

Damn. I dunno how to get over that. That last injury was traumatic enough and came out of nowhere that everytime I do squats now I'm expecting to feel a tendon snap and leave me crumpled up on the floor under the bar.

My sport involves a lot of headgame/fear management and there are a lot of good resources out there from professionals that I've used and have worked for me. Largely they relate to gradiated exposure, I think they'd be worth checking out. You need confidence in your ability and body and that is trainable.

• Dead LegendDead Legend Registered User regular
    School was cancelled due to heavy rains last night. Which means I got another lift in today!

Cleans, bench superset with pendlay rows, then a healthy dose of snatch grip RDL’s superset with snatch grip shrugs, DB curls, and neck work.

diablo III - beardsnbeer#1508 Mechwarrior Online - Rusty Bock
  • TheRealBadgerTheRealBadger Registered User regular
    Lies I tell myself, episode #7492: "I am programming these curls solely for elbow health purposes"

Got back into things after a couple of slack days today. Airbike and turkish getup ladders. Very sweaty but very satisfying.

I think it's about time I sat down and sketched out some proper goals. Tomorrow will be 60 days since getting home from the hospital with bubs and while I've done what I set out to (churn out enough cardio to keep my head above water mental health wise and do enough of the big lifts to have a platform to work from later), I need to start phase 2, which will involve undoing the damage I took in phase 1.

Top of the list is reeling in this runaway bodyweight. Right after that is opening my hips back up from the havoc being wreaked on them by way too much sitting and not enough moving. Couple those with some minor strength/cardio goals and I can probably round out the year pretty smoothly.

• PeenPeen Registered User regular
    Something I always wished I'd done, because I talked about it and then didn't do it, is dips/chin ups with my baby in a front carrier because as the baby gets heavier the load gets higher, it's natural linear progression. You should do that.

Front carrier? Why can't I just clip her onto my dip belt like any other weight?

• jalokjalok Registered User regular
    Keep forgetting to get back here and post :(

Anyways, thanks Juggernut for the reply; working as intended it is :P

Front carrier? Why can't I just clip her onto my dip belt like any other weight?

Because if you walk around with the baby in the expensive front carrier that you bought or someone nice bought for you then you look like a good dad and get good dad/partner points and we all need those points once in a while, for when we need a new barbell or some sex or whatever.

I've gotten a few decent walks in with her. She got a rough roll of the dice being born to a sweaty father in a humid city but she's making the best of it.

• SolarSolar Registered User regular
    So I have a 1.2x bw bench and a 2.1x bw deadlift, which I feel is pretty decent for just general strength. My weakness is that my squat is about 1.2x bw max which is pretty poor, and after a lot of research I've decided I'd like to get that up while retaining not a lot of weight in my legs.

Is it possible to get like, up to a 1.8/2x bw squat without gaining like, 2kgs of muscle? Because increasing the squat will make plyometrics more available to me and those are definitely useful.

• GorkGork Registered User regular
    I mean, maybe, sure? There’s no equation for muscle mass to lifting output. It’s highly variable per person based on genetics and physiology.

You can also get really strong while putting on weight and then diet down while retaining that strength, which is what powerlifters and bodybuilders, to a lesser extent, do.

I think it's totally possible, based on what I've seen anecdotally. I think it's also worth pointing out that barbell squats are a pretty full-body exercise and that if you add mass it's going to distribute some across your whole body, with potentially surprising additions to your abs and glutes.

• eddizhereeddizhere Scrubber Than A Sponge Scrubtown, USARegistered User regular
    I have about $40 that I want to spend on a piece of equipment and I’m not sure where it’s best used.

Lifting shoes, knee sleeves, or maybe even compression tights are what I’m thinking (already have a belt). I don’t have any current issues or old injuries, but if I can get something that protects my joints or aids in recovery I’d like to do that

League of Legends: Plutoniumwombat
    Smite: Plutoniumwombat
    What do you do when you fail a lift?

Hit a PR yesterday on bench, 190 3x5, unfortunately I was doing 5x5 :( Couldn't quite make the last rep of set 4 and had someone help get the bar off of me. Question is, what do I do next time: same weight/sets, drop a little weight and build back up, drop some more weight and do 4x10 for volume, switch to yoga? In the past when I've felt I wasn't lifting well at a given weight I'd do the volume thing for a few weeks, then return to 5s and work my way back up, but figured I'd ask people for advice this time :)

edited October 2021
    Well, it finally happened. I have given up all semblance of free will and submitted to the almighty ChadBot (JuggernautAI). No longer will I be making any decisions whatsoever when it comes to my training. In the last pathetic display of mealy mouthness, I am struggling to pick between the powerlifting program, and finally see if I can build a respectable squat, or the powerbuilding program, and continue to pretend anyone actually cares about my appearance.

So far, this app is pretty darn slick, though, and I am really interested to see how it responds to recovery factors in real time. I hope it really lays into me for getting woken up at 4am during a cut.

Gork on
  • eddizhereeddizhere Scrubber Than A Sponge Scrubtown, USARegistered User regular
    jalok wrote: »

Hit a PR yesterday on bench, 190 3x5, unfortunately I was doing 5x5 :( Couldn't quite make the last rep of set 4 and had someone help get the bar off of me. Question is, what do I do next time: same weight/sets, drop a little weight and build back up, drop some more weight and do 4x10 for volume, switch to yoga? In the past when I've felt I wasn't lifting well at a given weight I'd do the volume thing for a few weeks, then return to 5s and work my way back up, but figured I'd ask people for advice this time :)

Typically I’ll try to run at the wall again the next time the lift comes up in my program at least twice. After that I’d usually lower the weight and work volume for a week before trying again

League of Legends: Plutoniumwombat
    Smite: Plutoniumwombat
  • MethuselahMethuselah United StatesRegistered User regular
    jalok wrote: »

Are you following a specific program? If so, it should provide explicit guidance on this question. If you’re not, you should consider it for just this reason!

I agree with the advice of @eddizhere

• initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    i go for it three times before dropping back down a bit. I definitely picked that habit up from one of the starting strength programs i've done at some point. but yeah, if you're doing something specific i'd listen to them, but generally give it a couple tries before dropping a bit of weight to work back up

Its not a program like you probably mean. When I first started weights the Fall before the lockdowns I did Starting Strength for a while then looked around on-line for something different to try for a while. Found a 3-days a week series, but it didn't really go into progression/dealing with blocks. I've been adding weight as I feel good with each movement, and while I've hit stops before they were easier to deal with since they were less catastrophic.

I wouldn't mind trying the weight again it's just I know I should have a spotter, but approaching randoms in the gym to share space is iffy for me. Well, approaching people at the gym period...meh.

I've never lifted with a consistent spotter and can count the number of times I asked for a spot at the gym on one hand and after a decade I've never dropped anything on myself or died., it isn't critical.

In general I don't want/need a spotter, but given we are talking about a bench weight I've already had to get pulled off my chest it's a consideration. I was not particularly worried about getting out from under the bar, but putting myself back in the same circumstance requires preparation for if/when things go south again.

edited October 2021
    Holy heck, ChadBot is merciless. I entered in the pre-workout survey that I got 7 hours of sleep, was eating in a surplus and was not sore and it added two extra sets of ten to my SSB squat to the four I was already doing. This fucker took my answers as a personal insult. My SSB has never had to deal with this much sweat.

Gork on
    I will be very curious to hear about your experience with the programming after you've run it for a while, they advertise the thing relentlessly and I always figured it was probably bunk but maybe not?

edited October 2021
    The UI and functionality seem neat so far. I stayed away for awhile because it had a reputation for being real fucking crazy about the workloads and the monthly price. But Basement Brandon recently gave it a thumbs up after running it for a long time and he’s older (and stronger) than me, and I’d heard separately they toned it down. I’m incapable of coaching myself and I want a program that responds to my life and is not static so I figured I’d give it a shot.

Gork on
    Titan's doing a one day sale where their SSB is $50 off and I bought one and I'm Very Excited.

I’m 3 weeks out from my meet and I managed to injure my elbow squatting. Thankfully I can bench and pull without pain, but it looks like I need to switch to the safety bar for a couple weeks and hope I heal enough to get under the bar. Frustrating!!

I got the safety squat bar! My extremely early review is that it rules but I need to get used to it. The difference in load distribution means that I think it's going to leave my lower back alone, which is what I'd heard, and that rules but it means my legs are doing a lot more of the work and they are very not used to being called out. I think I'll keep it light and more frequent and we'll see how it goes but right now 10/10, would buy again.

Peen wrote: »
    I got the safety squat bar! My extremely early review is that it rules but I need to get used to it. The difference in load distribution means that I think it's going to leave my lower back alone, which is what I'd heard, and that rules but it means my legs are doing a lot more of the work and they are very not used to being called out. I think I'll keep it light and more frequent and we'll see how it goes but right now 10/10, would buy again.

Love love love mine. And so versatile. Front squats, good mornings, split squats, loaded walks and pretty much anything else you can imagine.

In today’s episode of New Exercises I Try Once and Hate, halting deadlifts for sets of 8. You pull off the ground, pause below the knee, put it back down and then do a full rep. Fuck me, pain.

ChadBot lets you swap recommended exercises but I know if I do that, deep in its cloud (which they legitimately call SkyNet), ChadBot would mark that as one more increase in percentage of the weakening of humanity and overall readiness for it to begin the machine uprising. Bring the suffering, tin can.

I use pause deads occasionally. Not with the half then full rep, rather, I pull to knee, pause, lock out the rep, descend to knee, pause, back to ground. I actually quite like them and it forces me to think about my positioning a lot. Not a chance in hell I'm doing them for sets of 8 though, you poor bastard.

• EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    Welp, went and ordered this adjustable mace, 6.5 to 18 kilos. I figure it'll save me both money and space in the long run, not having to buy another eight different maces.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jz_oIIZbHBc

Worked up to 205 on the squat and as soon as I came off the pins I felt my middle back start binding up.

Yes, more of this I love it.

edited November 2021
    I had a miserable night of sleep and got maybe five shitty quality hours total. When I completed the pre-workout survey, ChadBot dropped one of my SSB sets of ten in response from six to five. Great, because I felt like lukewarm dogshit.

I do the set and it goes surprisingly well. Ten pounds up from last week and probably a rep PR. In response to that, ChadBot added the sixth set back…

Oh, and in case anyone cares about my nutrition experience with RP Diet, I ran a minicut before starting my current bulk. The app has increased my food by a crazy amount and I’m eating ice cream like every night, but I still can’t get back above 190lbs, consistently. It’s odd, but I guess a good problem.

Gork on
  • initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    trying to shift my schedule to better fit my week and having a new job is honestly harder than actually doing the workout god damn

Well, I had my first major equipment failure. And surprisingly, it wasn’t something from Titan. The pin on one of my Rogue Monolift arms broke clean off. The way it broke, it was definitely the weld failing, because it came clean out of the hole where it’s welded to the arm. There’s no rust on it anywhere, it’s only three years old and it sits in a climate controlled basement, so this was just bad QA. I got Rogue customer service on the phone right away, but they’re investigating the pictures right now.

goddamn dude, you ok?

I probably should have added it wasn’t during a lift! I was putting it on and I noticed the pin was hella wobbly. I grabbed it and it just came clean out.

But if it had happened while I was benching, it could have been very bad. Hopefully they realize that and hook me up with the new 2.0 version that they just released.

Reracking the bar after a bench rep is really the most nerve wracking thing in lifting, if I die under a bar that'll be how. I think about it too much!

That’s scary AF and not something I expected from a piece of Rogue equipment

This discussion has been closed.