As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Steam] Remote Play Together Sale (2/28 - 3/7) - Get some games! Play with friends!

• Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    edited October 2021
    EDIT: I won't allow the source to be BotP'd.
    HiT BiT wrote: »
    zNeRefL.png
    ob8Cq.png
    Boys and girls of every age
    Wouldn't you like to see another sale?

Come with us and buy on Steam
    These great games of Halloween

Sales and Halloween, sales and Halloween
    Wallets scream in the dead of night

Sales and Halloween, everybody join the chat
    Buy and gift till the friendlist gonna die of class

Check the thread, everybody Steam!
    In this sale of Halloween

I am the one hoarding hundreds of games
    Plenty of time to buy, so little to play

I am the one idling for Steam cards
    Sell a thousand more, make another buck

Halloween! Halloween! Halloween! Halloween!

In this thread we call home
    Everyone hail to GabeN's song

MNC Dover on
    Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    edited October 2021
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    Alien Isolation is pretty good for scares.

Charlie and I had a great time. Tempted to play it again, but the thought of getting through Medical again is too much.

Medical in Alien Isolation was more nerve shredding than years of other survival horror games combined.

Aegeri on
    The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    MNC Dover wrote: »
    zNeRefL.png
    ob8Cq.png

This is super great, but just so you know, it's supposed to be to the tune of "This is Halloween" from Nightmare Before Christmas.

• Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    edited October 2021
    🙌🙌 LA LA LA LA LA LA LALALA LALALA LA LA LA LA LA LA LALALA LALALA 🙌🙌

KoopahTroopah on
  • Options
    Jealous DevaJealous Deva Registered User regular
    Warlock82 wrote: »
    especially stuff like Legends, etc which is not THAT old

I mean, it's pretty old—15 years is the same span of time between these two:

film-direktor-zak-penn-zeigt-eine-der-ausgegrabenen-spiele-schachteln-von-ataris-e-t-the-extra-terrestrial-.jpg
    Final_Fantasy_VII_Box_Art.jpg

This always gives me whiplash to think about, how fast things moved during the old days vs today. I’ve been playing through old FPS shooters, and going back to the late 90s you had quake and hexen 2 which lets face it looked like psx/n64 graphics, then.you had the first generation of 3d acceleration which somewhat looked decent (quake 2 and half life looked good for example but it was more due to the skilled art direction) but still looked like crap for the most part, but just less like crap (look at the human models in Sin or Heretic 2 for example).

Then around 2000-2002 you get into things like Jedi Outcast, Halo, and return to castle wolfenstein where you can say “ok, now the majority of games don’t look like complete ass (but aren’t modern by any standards). But just 2 years after that Doom 3 and Half-Life 2 come out and on highest settings they totally look like modern games (and with an HD texture pack they really look modern). But from Quake to Doom 3/Half Life 2 was only like 8 years. In comparison the xbox one has been out 8 years, and to be honest the first generation of xbox one games looks pretty much like the last generation of xbox one games.

• Options
    zNeRefL.png
    ob8Cq.png

This is super great, but just so you know, it's supposed to be to the tune of "This is Halloween" from Nightmare Before Christmas.

Ohhhh.....I've never seen that movie. I was wondering why it read sort of....broken, like a strange poem. Maybe a new recording is in order.

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    destroyah87destroyah87 They/Them Preferred: She/Her - Please UseRegistered User regular
    zNeRefL.png
    ob8Cq.png

Ohhhh.....I've never seen that movie. I was wondering why it read sort of....broken, like a strange poem. Maybe a new recording is in order.

... Never? Seen? ?!?!

Go do that now! Or tonight at least!

It's a real good animated (stop-motion if I'm not mistaken) Halloween and Christmas movie.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    OK! New version uploaded! While it's not perfect (some of those lines were a tough fit into the original song), I think it's way better than the first version I did and now is appropriate to the source material.

I put in way more time than I should have on this, instead of...ya' know, finishing up the last few files of an audiobook project I've been working on. Hope you enjoy it!

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    There a trauma center like game on steam?

• Options
    QuestorQuestor PAX Aus Tabletop [E] Melbourne, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    Questor wrote: »
    Back in dojo for the first time in 3 months this morning and when I get home I see a little flashing steam popup...

l2smelr7o1zp.jpg

Thank you @vamen for Outer Worlds <3
    Also, I now need to get the wishlist back to 69, especially as it wasn't on purpose the first time!

And fixed

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    HiT BiTHiT BiT 🍒 Fresh, straight from Pac-man's Registered User regular
    There a trauma center like game on steam?
    Not really the same, but Surgeon Simulator games could be the "closest" thing, maybe?
    https://store.steampowered.com/app/233720/Surgeon_Simulator/
    https://store.steampowered.com/app/774791/Surgeon_Simulator_2/

• Options
  • Options
    edited October 2021
    So I noticed system shock 2 was on sale on steam and was going to pick it up but I see there is a pack with system shock 1 remastered. Is system shock 1 worth playing?

Jealous Deva on
  • Options
    So I noticed system shock 2 was on sale on steam and was going to pick it up but I see there is a pack with system shock 1 remastered. Is system shock 1 worth playing?

Definately look up a keybinding guide

2 was on the edge of a generational gap, 1 is on the other side, far away from us.

Looking forward to the nightdive rebooy

• Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    edited October 2021

Yes, both are excellent - however there's no remaster of SS2 yet so it's up to you whether you want to go from the remaster graphics of SS1 to the baseline graphics of SS2 or the other way around. There's supposed to be a remaster of SS2 coming some time after the SS1 remake... but the remake is already about 4 years behind schedule so I wouldn't expect it before 2030.

Donnicton on
  • Options
    CroakerBCCroakerBC TorontoRegistered User regular

2 was on the edge of a generational gap, 1 is on the other side, far away from us.

Why you got to do me like this, Royce?

• Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    OK! New version uploaded! While it's not perfect (some of those lines were a tough fit into the original song), I think it's way better than the first version I did and now is appropriate to the source material.

I put in way more time than I should have on this, instead of...ya' know, finishing up the last few files of an audiobook project I've been working on. Hope you enjoy it!

This was very entertaining @MNC Dover , thanks. :)

• Options
    el_vicioel_vicio Registered User regular
    If you guys like good deals, the current fanatical bundle https://www.fanatical.com/en/bundle/indie-legends-bundle-xii has sick value imo. Like 4 bucks for both the Frog Detective games, and the 2.5D Yooka Laylee game! I can't say much about the other games, but that's pretty crazy

ouxsemmi8rm9.png

• Options
    edited November 2021
    Donnicton wrote: »

Yes, both are excellent - however there's no remaster of SS2 yet so it's up to you whether you want to go from the remaster graphics of SS1 to the baseline graphics of SS2 or the other way around. There's supposed to be a remaster of SS2 coming some time after the SS1 remake... but the remake is already about 4 years behind schedule so I wouldn't expect it before 2030.

Were there any significant story connections between the two? Would I miss or spoil anything by starting with 2?

Jealous Deva on
  • Options
    el_vicioel_vicio Registered User regular
    Donnicton wrote: »

Were there any significant story connections between the two? Would I miss or spoil anything by starting with 2?

I played 2 first (multiple times) without playing 1. I don't think you'd miss anything, I never felt like I did.

ouxsemmi8rm9.png

• Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    All you need to know about System Shock 1 is the intro.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wbu0yITIoXQ
    Spoiler: the hacker beats the crazy computer that thinks it's a god.
    Now you're ready for System Shock 2.

• Options
    Kai_SanKai_San Commonly known as Klineshrike! Registered User regular
    el_vicio wrote: »
    If you guys like good deals, the current fanatical bundle https://www.fanatical.com/en/bundle/indie-legends-bundle-xii has sick value imo. Like 4 bucks for both the Frog Detective games, and the 2.5D Yooka Laylee game! I can't say much about the other games, but that's pretty crazy

That rpg I never heard of looks kinda legit. That and yooka make it worth it for me.

They bleed pixels is a pretty solid game but it's very difficult. It's sort of super meat boy like platforming. Great pixel art.

• Options
    CroakerBC wrote: »

Because no one needs to go through what I did trying to dabble in Rise of the Triad with original mousewalk controls

Mousewalk controls were a thing

• Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    Those were dark times.

• Options
    JaysonFourJaysonFour Classy Monster Kitteh Registered User regular
    ...before I figured you could hook a controller into a laptop, I managed to finish Saints Row 4 with keyboard and mouse.

My fingers still ache from that final battle.

steam_sig.png
    I can has cheezburger, yes?
  • Options
    LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    JaysonFour wrote: »
    ...before I figured you could hook a controller into a laptop, I managed to finish Saints Row 4 with keyboard and mouse.

What? Saint's Row 4 wasn't even that long ago...

• Options
    bloodatonementbloodatonement Registered User regular
    edited November 2021
    el_vicio wrote: »

Maize is a solid 3D point and click adventure

bloodatonement on
    Zdy0pmg.jpg
    Steam ID: Good Life
  • Options
    LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    Can confirm, Maize is great.

• Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    LD50 wrote: »

What? Saint's Row 4 wasn't even that long ago...

Arthritis in the fingers since 2013.

• Options
    CroakerBC wrote: »

Because no one needs to go through what I did trying to dabble in Rise of the Triad with original mousewalk controls

Mousewalk controls were a thing

To be fair, Shock1’s vertical controls were pretty revolutionary at the time.

Honestly it’s a beautifully designed game, with a fantastic set of found-narrative stories which basically founded that sub-genre of gaming. I want to recommend it so badly. Because apparently I’m in the other side of that generational gap, and I played it on release, and it blew my mind.

But yeah. The controls suck. The graphics, by todays standards, suuuuuck. The gunplay, by todays standards, suuuucks.

The story and the music are still great though.

If you start it up, or watch five minutes on YouTube, and think “I could not play that for 15 hours”, then watch the intro and extro, and you’re probably fine for Shock2.

Shock2 has the same problems, but less of them. Except weapon maintenance, which is a horror.

Oh, and remember 0451.

• Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    Much like the original Jurassic Park and its featherless dinosaurs, System Shock 1 had the misfortune to come out very shortly before a major paradigm shift (to nigh-universal adoption of WASD and/or mouselook).

• Options
    Pixelated PixiePixelated Pixie They/Them Registered User regular

But... SR4 is fine with kbam.

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Chipmunks are like nature's nipple clamps, I guess?
  • Options
    I love me some galactic battlegrounds but gameplay just feels hectic and borderline unsatisfying.

My team won but lost a guy, their team was annihilated and somehow the bare bones village I was pillaging was the last holdout?

Fuck it, go trade federation.

• Options
    I love me some galactic battlegrounds but gameplay just feels hectic and borderline unsatisfying.

My team won but lost a guy, their team was annihilated and somehow the bare bones village I was pillaging was the last holdout?

Roger roger.

• Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    Is RE4 HD out the box(so to speak) comparable to the fan HD patch?

https://www.re4hd.com/

I've always wanted to try that out.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    IanatorIanator Gaze upon my works, ye mighty and facepalm.Registered User regular

Age of Empires IV is great n' all, but where my Galactic Battlegrounds HD at?

steam_sig.png
    Twitch | Blizzard: Ianator#1479 | 3DS: Ianator - 1779 2336 5317 | FFXIV: Iana Ateliere (NA Sarg)
    Backlog Challenge List
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    What we need is something that pairs the galactic scale map like Rebellion with a good rts layer. Empire at war messed things up by trying to balance it out in the micro, instead of leaning into the inherent asymmetries like Rebellion did.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular

Unless they mean with the Laptop touch mouse or whatever.

• Options
    heenatoheenato Alice Leywind Registered User regular
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    Is RE4 HD out the box(so to speak) comparable to the fan HD patch?

https://www.re4hd.com/

I've always wanted to try that out.
    No. The textures for RE4HD are still pretty low resolution. the HD patch is on top of the HD version and brings the textures waaay up in resolution. most of them being remade from scratch using source photos.

M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular

Unless they mean with the Laptop touch mouse or whatever.

Egads, I hope not.