As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Cat Help/Advice

MamaWolfMamaWolf The wolf pack guides all to safetyRegistered User regular
My husband and I need some advice/help!

We have a cat that used to be an outdoor cat for around 8 months, possibly more, in the fall of 2018. During those 8 months about 6 of them she was an indoor/outdoor cat. We took her indoors when she was attacked in May of 2019. She has been an indoor kitty since then (with the occasional escape once in a while). Recently we have grown a trust with her and started to hold her and carry her while we walk around the house outside. When we return indoors, she meows for about 20 min and then a few hours later will meow at the door. We understand that we may have to train her to understand that only certain times will we go out.

The advice/help we need is to know if we should continue to take her outside like this or if we should stop and just have her remain indoors?

"May the moon watch over you and keep you safe through the night, 'till the morning comes and MamaWolf can protect you through the day"

• Options
    ReznikReznik Registered User regular
    If you're able to buy or build some kind of enclosed catio in your yard, that would probably be the ideal solution.

I don't think carrying the cat around outside is really doing much for the cat. She's probably really wanting to roam and explore still.

Do... Re.... Mi... Ti... La...
    Do... Re... Mi... So... Fa.... Do... Re.... Do...
    Forget it...
  • Options
    JaysonFourJaysonFour Classy Monster Kitteh Registered User regular
    Pretty much this is standard operating procedure for a cat- it could be she wants more attention, period, and not just wanting to go outside. When they get needy for it, they go for the places they associate with getting attention, and bar that, they do things they know will get them attention.

Maybe see if she just wants to be held and carried around the house for a bit, and see if that works?

steam_sig.png
    I can has cheezburger, yes?
  • Options
    dispatch.odispatch.o Registered User regular
    There isn't really a good reason for the cat to go outside if it's in a carrier or being held.

While it may be very fun for you, cats are interested in almost exclusively in exploration, territory control, breeding and murdering things for fun.

I suggest getting a harness/leash specifically designed for cats if you insist on taking her outside. Let her explore some bushes and stuff near your door for a few minutes and then bring her back inside at first. The harness will take getting used to, but they can work well. She's not meowing for you to come take her out, she wants to be let out to kill some things and check on her territory.

I have three cats, they are indoor only because even well fed cats will kill everything they can for sport. They're genocide on four legs. I've used a harness and walked my cats to the mailbox or sat on the balcony with them while reading or something and it works well. Even should you decide against a harness, don't 'baby cradle' a cat and go outside thinking it will feel protected and not bite and claw you if a dog barks or another cat is noticed. Cats defensively require mobility and height, there's a good chance it will shred your arms and face trying to get on top of your head and freedom to move.

I suggest investing in a ScatMat if she starts clawing at the door or frame and doing damage. They're very safe and effectively set an off-limits boundary the cats will obey without question. I've been shocked by mine many times when I have it on the countertop and I forget about it when I get up in the morning.

• Options
    Thanks for the advice guys!! I am getting a harness/leash for her now! She has been good so far when there were other cats in our yard, but I know that she deserves the freedom to roam and be a cat. I wouldn't want someone to carry me if I wanted to go out and walk!

"May the moon watch over you and keep you safe through the night, 'till the morning comes and MamaWolf can protect you through the day"
  • Options
    CelloCello Registered User regular
    The one thing to be sure of is that the harness is a good quality one - you really want to check for fit. We made a few attempts to take my last cat out on a harness and she was smart enough to realize if she did enough somersaults she'd roll out of it, ahaha.

Some cats even like being walked like dogs, so you might be surprised how well yours adapts to the concept. A neighbour of ours takes hers up and down the street every day (especially in the rain which the cat really likes??? Weird, weird cat over there.)

Steam
    3DS Friend Code: 0216-0898-6512
    Switch Friend Code: SW-7437-1538-7786
  • Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    MamaWolf wrote: »
    Thanks for the advice guys!! I am getting a harness/leash for her now! She has been good so far when there were other cats in our yard, but I know that she deserves the freedom to roam and be a cat. I wouldn't want someone to carry me if I wanted to go out and walk!

Make sure the harness is designed to place the pull of the leash across their chest (and this goes for any harness for any pet.)

And yeah, letting cats roam unsupervised isn't healthy for them or the environment. It's easier if the cat grew up being an indoor cat, but even outdoor cats can be acculturated. If you have a yard that can be secured, that can help a lot, but just remember that cats can leap surprisingly high.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    Excuse me, where are the pictures?

PA has a long and storied tradition of requiring pics of any pet in accompanying threads.

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    edited November 2021
    MegaMan001 wrote: »
    Excuse me, where are the pictures?

PA has a long and storied tradition of requiring pics of any pet in accompanying threads.

My apologies, I was unaware here are some now:
    ww9s00hvvt3u.jpg
    gk4qctctzy9b.jpg
    ri06xn2txcs2.jpg

MamaWolf on
  • Options
    RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    Thread saved

Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    Can I ask how old that last picture is?
    Cause if it's recent, that wrapping paper has really held up. I should look for another roll in my post-holidays stocking up.

• Options
    see317 wrote: »
    Can I ask how old that last picture is?
    Cause if it's recent, that wrapping paper has really held up. I should look for another roll in my post-holidays stocking up.

Last picture of from last December! She loves her boxes