As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Thanksgiving] Time is Here Again!

XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
That's right! THANKSGIVING IS HERE AGAIN!

Loosen those belts! Throw out those tight pants! Feast! FEAST! FEAST!!

It's a well know fact that americans aren't thankful for anything. Once a year however, we all gather together to lie about what we are most thankful for. Under that veneer though lies a foundation of thankfulness that is real. The thankfulness for delicious food and a day off work and school (unless you work for a blue collar job where it's only your bosses who are thankful).

.... this is turning into a downer that was unintended. Apologies!

also, I lied about only being thankful for food because this year I have a LOT to be legitimately thankful for!

I am happily married!
My kids are healthy and are (incredibly) doing well in school!
I am employed!
I have good friends and family and forumers!

MST3k is filming a new season that I helped create!

but enough about me! More about food!

The most important part of Thanksgiving is of course the turkey! Without a properly cooked bird, Thanksgiving will be ruined
lpacjla9akz6.jpg

The other most important part of Thanksgiving is the Mashed Potatoes. With lots of butter, rosemary, mushrooms, and everything.
shflcfxacaww.jpg

The most important part of Thanksgiving dinner is without a doubt the gravy. This must be served ornately and each person is allotted a minimum of 1 gallon.
7eng8yifgg1h.jpg

Sides! Green Bean Casserole, Brussels Sprouts, Peas and Pearl Onions, and Roasted Carrots are popular! They are the most important part of the meal.
w1bjtu2iq2h4.jpg

rrmimdkukeam.jpg

08ui5ct5ssna.jpg

ep6q6labe6ab.jpg

Sausage Stuffing is widely considered the most important part of the Thanksgiving experience. It's my personal favorite part of the day.
jxmbv0hqukdg.jpg

Bread and Butter go well with everything! Especially important for sopping up extra gravy.
cxcq7gl42pab.jpg

obwddo1dju39.jpg

Dessert is the most important part of Thanksgiving and Sweet Potato pie is up there with the best!
53c9dhdhwng4.jpg

Last but not least, the most important ingredient is French's crispy onions! Dump this on your finished plate!
g701auc7u1qb.jpg

Important Link!
https://kickstarter.mst3k.com/turkeyday (this is for voting for movies, not the actual kickstarter which has ended)

So! What's everyone doing? I'm going to hang with friends and eat 10 tons!

• ElaroElaro Apologetic Registered User regular
    But Xaquin, Thanksgiving was three weeks ago!

Children's rights are human rights.
  • XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    whaaaaaaaaaaaaaat?!

that doesn't sound right at all!

• MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    Hey everyone, brine your bird. Dry or wet doesn't matter, but if your parents are Boomers it's likely you never have had a properly seasoned turkey.

https://www.seriouseats.com/buying-prepping-cooking-carving-thanksgiving-turkey-complete-guide-food-lab

My boy Kenji breaks it all down for you.

Get a meat thermometer.

I stole Thanksgiving from my mother as soon as I bought my own house and had space to host. This will be year four. First year I did Alton Brown's menu, then Martha Stewart, then Kenji Lopez Alt.

Kenji's easily the most simple with a great payoff.

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • PeenPeen Registered User regular
    We're going to have a mini Thanksgiving dinner two weeks early with family we like, that'll be good, and then we're going to go to my wife's parents' house for the actual day and that'll be awkward AF until everyone is drunk, so pretty bog standard!

That reminds me .... we have a full case of wine and two cases of beer leftover from our wedding. That'll come in handy!

• mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    This is our first year with a kiddo, so we are debating a "buy it from the store" meal. Wegmans and Whole Foods both seem promising. Making a few sides seems manageable but I have no idea how the 2 of us would cook all day with a kid who is now SUPER into climbing and pantsing us all day.

Scalloped potato season is finally here!!

PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    mxmarks wrote: »
    This is our first year with a kiddo, so we are debating a "buy it from the store" meal. Wegmans and Whole Foods both seem promising. Making a few sides seems manageable but I have no idea how the 2 of us would cook all day with a kid who is now SUPER into climbing and pantsing us all day.

Scalloped potato season is finally here!!

Take a look at local restaurants in your area too. A lot of places now do take home menu stuff for holidays. You likely get some better food and support a local joint at the same time.

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    last year for thanksgiving I made duck instead of turkey... whats funny is... i have absolutely no memory of doing it... but my wife confirmed that I did indeed make duck, it was delicious, I have photos of it.... but I simply do not remember doing it lol.

so this year I'll make it again so i can enjoy it and hopefully remember the recipe??

• DHSDHS Chase lizards.. ...bark at donkeys..Registered User regular
    Brother's family is moving back in state, but we also lost my mom's brother so it'll be bittersweet; but this holiday is our collective favorite so I will endeavor to make as ideal a meal as responsible. It's never been a stressful holiday for me and I love nothing more than making destructively calorific foods for less people than it calls for; I just want everyone to have a good day home.

I love this holiday; an excuse to see the family that we all can stand and to perfect a gravy. Mostly the first but I'd be lying if the second wasn't the fun part.

"Grip 'em up, grip 'em, grip 'em good, said the Gryphon... to the pig."
  • ElaroElaro Apologetic Registered User regular
    Xaquin wrote: »
    whaaaaaaaaaaaaaat?!

It does if you live in Canada!

Children's rights are human rights.
  • webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    My contribution to the Thanksgiving meal this year is going to be smoked brisket and some Bacon Sourdough with brie.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
    Elaro wrote: »
    Xaquin wrote: »
    whaaaaaaaaaaaaaat?!

It does if you live in Canada!

Is that near San Antonio!?

• StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    MegaMan001 wrote: »
    Hey everyone, brine your bird. Dry or wet doesn't matter, but if your parents are Boomers it's likely you never have had a properly seasoned turkey.

https://www.seriouseats.com/buying-prepping-cooking-carving-thanksgiving-turkey-complete-guide-food-lab

My boy Kenji breaks it all down for you.

Get a meat thermometer.

I stole Thanksgiving from my mother as soon as I bought my own house and had space to host. This will be year four. First year I did Alton Brown's menu, then Martha Stewart, then Kenji Lopez Alt.

Kenji's easily the most simple with a great payoff.
    Last year I went with Adam Ragusea’s method of making a killer gravy with the pan drippings instead of fussing with all the prep work for brining, and it was amazing and everyone enjoyed it. I highly recommend it unless you are just vehemently opposed to gravy.

YL9WnCY.png
    i generally dig Ragusea, but his premise that brining, especially dry makes the drippings too salty is provably horsecrap. like i have been doing both for years and as long as you have a low or no salt stock or broth to build it from, which you should be in practice of having anyway because you want to season gravies, soups and sauces at final production anyway, and even using salty umami boosters like fish sauce, soy sauce and marmite it's never even come close to being over seasoned.

gravy is definitely gonna get you more bang for you time and effort buck, because in the end you will have gravy which is one of the top food groups, but brining and gravying are in no way in opposition to each other and a dry brine is just salting the normal amount ahead of time so if you season it at all it would the same salinity in the renderings.

i really like Adam but sometimes he talks out his ass because something is inconvenient to his personal workflow (like his anti home frying video, or his anti food pretension videos), tending to speak in universals that aren't necessarily true.

• StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    He is correct, however, in that you are ultimately doing the same thing: seasoning/moistening the turkey. There are weird idiosyncrasies that he gets hung up on, but for a lot of us the idea of having to prep the birds days in advance isn't too appealing. Especially with brining since there is maintenance with keeping the whole things cold (I imagine the salt of the dry "brine" eliminates the need for chilling?)

YL9WnCY.png
    edited November 2021
    no, you definitely want to keep the temp out of the danger zone, with a wet brine that means using upwards of half the total water content as ice and a bucket or better yet construction cooler. given that just doing a dry equilibrium brine has better results it's not worth it most of the time in my experience.

yeah, the space thing is the big impediment, he is correct there. here is my bias because i cook Thanksgiving at my mom's where i am currently staying and she happens to have two full size fridges so making space for the dry brining bird is not too hard. just put it on a rack on a quarter sheet pan, and since i either spatchcock or part out the bird now it's even less of a concern.

hence why the thrust of his point is correct, if you don't have a way to temp-controlled store a brining bird or bird parts you will have better luck just making a good gravy with roast drippings. however that doesn't mean if it isn't too much trouble that brining isn't worth it, because for seasoning and moisture retention for any meat it's the most surefire method. it's all about workflow and the out lay of effort for return, and sometimes the dude is bad at framing things in a way that says these other ways can be worth it if you want to put in the effort and get that result. the best example is the macaron thing he did, like if you just want an almond sandwich creme cookie then yeah it ain't worth the effort to get a perfect dome and foot, but if you want to have the fun of achieving that look it's totally worth it.

DHS on
  • sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    edited November 2021
    We are scaling back this year because I am old and tire easily.

We spatchcockin this bird, and we go Mashed potatoes and stuffing.

Maybe a Costco pie.

Some bread from the cute bakery down stairs.

Simplicity itself!

sarukun on
  • SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    Doesn't matter who makes this thread, they always fuck it up. So here, I will post a proper Thanksgiving side dish.

d72ktrk1stjd.jpg

sig.gif
  • TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    edited November 2021
    I'm not super lookin forward to the dinner for once.

The past few thanksgivings I've eaten have left me feelin pretty ill afterwards.

EDIT: I mostly enjoy the cooking with my mom part of thanksgiving though, and watching MST3K with Claw. That said my mom is very simple about cooking a turkey, she's never let me try a dry brine on the bird before, she usually just bastes it with a frankly unconscionable amount of butter over the salt and pepper and poultry seasoning. It usually tastes good but I want to try making a proper gravy this year but I don't have the proper type of pan that will work in the oven and on the burner to deglaze the fond and drippings (Which with my mom doing a lot of the work is actually a ton of melted butter...) and reduce into a nice gravy.

Tallahasseeriel on
    I'm not super lookin forward to the dinner for once.

The past few thanksgivings I've eaten have left me feelin pretty ill afterwards.

EDIT: I mostly enjoy the cooking with my mom part of thanksgiving though, and watching MST3K with Claw. That said my mom is very simple about cooking a turkey, she's never let me try a dry brine on the bird before, she usually just bastes it with a frankly unconscionable amount of butter over the salt and pepper and poultry seasoning. It usually tastes good but I want to try making a proper gravy this year but I don't have the proper type of pan that will work in the oven and on the burner to deglaze the fond and drippings (Which with my mom doing a lot of the work is actually a ton of melted butter...) and reduce into a nice gravy.

you could deglaze it quickly and dump everything into a regular sauce pan and go from there!

• DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    I'll be enjoying two, possibly three Thanksgiving feasts this year

Pretty excited

I do miss cooking the feast, but that hasn't been feasible recently

• Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    Thanksgiving side dishes are one of those American things that make me go "Oh we really are separate cultures." Not that I think they sound bad, just they are things I have never seen here despite us using all the same components in other foods.

It's like when I did a Christmas dinner with some Australian colleagues and we had a pavlova, because apparently pavlova is a standard Christmas thing in Australia. And I felt like I was on another planet having dinner with aliens.

• minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    I am 100% the one who does the totally made from scratch, gigantic thanksgiving spread every year. Pies, breads, veggies, mashed potatoes, stuffing, etc. I can even make a damn good homemade cranberry sauce, but it’s not a real Thanksgiving dinner unless there’s a $1.50 can of storebought cranberry sauce dumped out on a plate somewhere.

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    edited November 2021
    I’ve also gradually given in and incorporated some of my wife’s family’s Thanksgiving traditions, and let me tell you, it may sound weird but it’s pretty amazing having a full casserole pan of lasagna and a bowl of fried ravioli alongside the traditional Thanksgiving goods.

minor incident on
  • BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Sorce wrote: »
    Doesn't matter who makes this thread, they always fuck it up. So here, I will post a proper Thanksgiving side dish.

d72ktrk1stjd.jpg

cranberry tastes like a cherry that hates you
    It's insane the amount of sugar in it to make it palpable

Because sadly I work in hell retail and thanksgiving is the ugly day of black friday in the US I will have it in the monday or tuesday before
    It being just my brother and I may not have turkey because of the size of them instead we might have Rouladen [stuffed beef rolls a german style food} with Thüringer Klösse a potato dumpling

I like a big old think of stuffed cornbread too

Fuck yeah. I haven’t done cornbread the last couple of years. I gotta put that on the menu this year.

Fuck yeah. I haven’t done cornbread the last couple of years. I gotta put that on the menu this year.

I cook up a bunch of sausage, onion, and jalapenos and add it in with a bunch of cheese and 1 can of creamed corn. Makes it dense and flavorful

our friendsgiving menu is finalized!

Much Ado About Stuffing Thanksgiving Menu:

Appetizers:
    Deviled Scotch Eggs
    Cheese/Veggie/Antipasto Tray
    Cranberry Brie Pecan Bites
    Sausage Stuffed Mushrooms

Main:
    Fried turkey with Gravy
    Spiral Ham
    Meat Pie Empanadas
    Cornbread Stuffing
    Mashed Potatoes and Toppings Bar
    Mac n’ Cheese
    Maple Cinnamon Carrots
    Sweet Potato Casserole with Marshmallows
    Bacon-Blue Cheese-Balsamic Brussels Sprouts
    Pumpkin muffins with Honey Cinnamon Butter
    Cranberry Sauce
    Squash
    Green beans/Green bean casserole

Dessert:
    Pumpkin Pie
    Chocolate Silk Pie
    Pumpkin Spice Cookies
    Vanilla Ice Cream and Whipped Cream

I can understand the appeal of the can shaped lump of cranberry stuff but my wife makes a cranberry orange relish every year that just blows ordinary cranberry sauce right off the map, it's my favorite Thanksgiving thing of all time.

• MatevMatev Cero Miedo Registered User regular
    edited November 2021
    Last year, the boyfriend made a turkey while I did the taters and gravy from the drippings. Having derived it from a brined turkey wrapped in maple syrup and bacon, it was the most delicious gravy I have ever tasted and I hope I get to make it again this year.

I do appreciate making a decent Thanksgiving spread (I am the designated pumpkin pie maker for the family and have been since the task was first given to me in my early teens) but I do admit to being a picky eater philistine whose Thanksgiving intake consists of Turkey, taters, rolls, and gravy, with pie for dessert after the first 2-3 plates have resolved themselves over board games.

Matev on
    "Go down, kick ass, and set yourselves up as gods, that's our Prime Directive!"
    Hail Hydra
  • webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Peen wrote: »
    I can understand the appeal of the can shaped lump of cranberry stuff but my wife makes a cranberry orange relish every year that just blows ordinary cranberry sauce right off the map, it's my favorite Thanksgiving thing of all time.

Can you share the recipe? It sounds great.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2021
    I've been asked by the family to do something like a green bean casserole for my dish this year, but we have people who have intolerance to dairy & onions in the party. Any suggestions? Maybe something that focuses more on the veggies than the casserole part even.

I did this recipe by Alton Brown last year, and while it was a big hit it was a lot of work/clean-up afterwards. I simply substituted dairy for almond milk and dropped cheese/onions from it entirely.

Naphtali on
    Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
    She started with this recipe and has toyed with the amount of sugar and using other spices along with the cinnamon like star anise, but it's always fantastic and it's not complicated at all!

I have obtained a bird

• JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    Word?

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Well a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush

Jedoc wrote: »
    Word?
    ggc1oe7eqaj0.jpg

• Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    Currently in Singapore we are still restricted to only two guests over to a household per day.

This has been depressing for the last five months but is particularly depressing looking at Thanksgiving and Christmas.

That said, I've solidified my menu and fuck it.

RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    Got a bird. Gonna keep it simple this year, only stuffing and mashed potatoes and maybe creamed corn if I'm feeling saucy. Or, creamy, I guess.

We're keeping it simple because the tradition of gluttony isn't really a thing here so the last two times I made an appropriate amount of too-much-food, my poor fiancee and I had to go through leftovers for 8. We're not gonna do that this time.

Also we're going out the weekend after Thanksgiving Day, so this year we're doing the weekend before