As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Audiophilia: Headphones, Amps, DAPs, and Empty Wallets

• Options
    CormacCormac Registered User regular
    I think in terms of connecting headphones to phones the wired market, outside of high end stuff that needs a amp/dac to work, is pretty much dead. Wired headphones for at home use is still thriving but does cater towards either gaming focused or audiophile uses.

I bought a set of Airpod Pro's today with some gift cards and I think I might actually like them better than my Master and Dynamic MW08's. The Airpod Pro's have a much more balanced sound profile and fit my ears a little bit better. I've never been quite able to get a perfect fit or seal with the MW08's even using memory foam eartips. In Spotify I've EQ'd the MW08's to tone down the bass and try to make them a bit more neutral, but with no EQ'ing the Airpod Pro's may just be more to my liking for general use. The MW08's probably do actually sound better and might be what I go to, after some more EQ tweaking, for more focused listening.

Steam: Gridlynk | PSN: Gridlynk | FFXIV: Jarvellis Mika
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    I just don't need yet another device that I'll forget to charge. I can barely remember to keep my phone charged as-is.

• Options
    KamarKamar Registered User regular
    edited November 2021
    I followed Reddit recommendations a while back and got a pair of "Chi-Fi" wired IEMs instead of the Shure IEMs I was initially considering, as apparently that's a market where certain cheap Chinese brands have come a very long way. Specifically, I got the TRN V80s for listening to my phone while I walk etc.

https://www.amazon.com/Earphone-Balanced-Armature-Headphone-Detachable/dp/B07JQF38PM/ref=sr_1_2?dchild=1&keywords=TRN+V80&qid=1622720311&s=electronics&sr=1-2&th=1

I can't offer any insight into what the in-line controls are like, as I have no clue how those kinds of controls work and thus never bother with them. Mic seems to work fine the few times I've needed it. Audio is great. I've seen people say build quality is where these suffer, but I've not had any trouble yet.

Kamar on
  • Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    edited November 2021
    You might try the KZ ZSN Pro, Dankpod reviewed them along with the AKGs. I've linked the ali-express store that KZ runs (I got there from their website). Might be worth a go.

KZ ZSN PRO

https://youtu.be/KFv3eThZTo0

webguy20 on
    Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    Trajan45Trajan45 Registered User regular
    edited November 2021
    I have the older Shure BT215 in BT. But the newer Shure AONIC 215 seem to be wired. I also have some cheap wired Sony with "extra bass" that worked great for the gym.

Trajan45 on
    Origin ID\ Steam ID: Warder45
  • Options
    emp123emp123 Registered User regular
    @Undead Scottsman I'm someone who either loses or destroys headphones pretty regularly so I generally go pretty cheap with them and these have been working fine with my Note 8 for a while now.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B01FNAYRSM/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

• Options
    DixonDixon Screwed...possibly doomed CanadaRegistered User regular
    I bought a pair of them Webguy20, they are cheap enough it will be interesting just to try.

I don't really have a good pair of IEM's and will be nice for snowboarding this year.

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Dixon wrote: »
    I bought a pair of them Webguy20, they are cheap enough it will be interesting just to try.

I don't really have a good pair of IEM's and will be nice for snowboarding this year.

Let me know what you think. I'm interested too.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    edited November 2021
    Grabbed a pair of the Aeon X Closed while they are on sale on Drop, seems like it will ship in a couple days as well.

Still waiting on the IEM's

Dixon on
  • Options
    Ear3nd1lEar3nd1l Eärendil the Mariner, father of Elrond Registered User regular
    Hello everyone. I'm looking for audio suggestions. I'm not an audio-phile at all, but our Vizio sound bar no longer works with our TV. The optical out stopped working, so I was using the ARC from HDMI 2. But now the HDMI in on the bar stopped working. So I guess I'm in the market for a receiver.

Any suggestions for a budget receiver that has HDMI inputs and an output to the TV? Like I said, I'm not an audio-phile so it doesn't have to be high-end. Just decent...

Thanks

• Options
    BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    You want a new sound bar or you want to buy a receiver and somewhere between 2.1 and X.X number of speakers to work with your receiver?

• Options
    I'm open to suggestions. A sound bar is easier, but a receiver would give me some flexibility with HDMI inputs.

• Options
    ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    There are some soundbars with extra HDMI inputs and Sony even makes one with two 2.1 inputs. In my opinion, receivers would be for investing in better speakers and/or a surround sound system. If you're just looking for sound that's better than your TV then a budget soundbar makes the most sense.

I get you're "not an audiophile" but what's your budget and how many HDMI inputs are we talking about here?

PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    edited November 2021
    Budget would be around $500 and I need inputs for the PS5, Switch, and a Fire Stick.

I realize that probably puts me out of the range of a receiver, but I figured it couldn't hurt to ask.

Ear3nd1l on
  • Options
    AkilaeAkilae Registered User regular
    edited November 2021
    Ear3nd1l wrote: »
    Budget would be around $500 and I need inputs for the PS5, Switch, and a Fire Stick.

I realize that probably puts me out of the range of a receiver, but I figured it couldn't hurt to ask.

Get a refurbished Denon receiver that has the inputs you want off accessories4less (yes, sounds sketchy, but they're legit), and Jamo speakers are on sale right now on Amazon (S803s are pretty awesome, even moreso at $140 a pair). That sets you up quite nicely until you want a subwoofer a few years from now.

Akilae on
  • Options
    Akilae wrote: »

Get a refurbished Denon receiver that has the inputs you want off accessories4less (yes, sounds sketchy, but they're legit), and Jamo speakers are on sale right now on Amazon (S803s are pretty awesome, even moreso at $140 a pair). That sets you up quite nicely until you want a subwoofer a few years from now.

Thanks for the recommendation. How about something like this? (I know it's a Yamaha, but it's a full set)
    https://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/yamyht4950ubl-rb/yamaha-yht-4950u-5.1-ch-home-theater-system/1.html#!specifications

• Options
    AkilaeAkilae Registered User regular
    Akilae wrote: »

Thanks for the recommendation. How about something like this? (I know it's a Yamaha, but it's a full set)
    https://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/yamyht4950ubl-rb/yamaha-yht-4950u-5.1-ch-home-theater-system/1.html#!specifications

I'm a 2.1 kind of guy, so I'm not up to date on 5.1 home theater in a box systems like that. But no matter what you get, it'll be an improvement over the soundbar.

• Options
    I've been using a Denon receiver I bought from Accesories4less since 2012 and it's still working perfectly. Unless things have drastically changed since then I'll recommend them too.

• Options
    BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    It's weird that it doesn't specify which standard the HDMI ports are in the description or the specifications tab.

It says 4k 60fps, which I think means hdmi 2.0 which is not the newest standard, you won't be able to push 8k or 4k 120hz or the newest HDR stuff if your TV supports those. But I don't know if that is important to you or not.

• Options
    You definitely won't get HDMI 2.1 (4K 120Hz HDR) from a refurbished receiver because those didn't truly exist until this year. The units that were supposed to feature HDMI 2.1 last year had a fatal flaw that firmware couldn't fix and required getting a hardware modification from the OEMs.

PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    edited November 2021
    It's not that important. I do have a 4K TV, but it does not support HDR or 120hz, so I don't really mind.

Edit: According to the Yamaha product page, it supports HDCP 2.2.

k271dlsm15id.png

Ear3nd1l on
  • Options
    emp123emp123 Registered User regular
    edited November 2021
    I thought there were issues with the first gen 2.1 receivers, issues with passthrough VRR? Its been a bit since I looked.

EDIT: Welp, thats what I get for doing work instead of hitting post.

emp123 on
  • Options
    My newer Denon has the flaw but I only need the one HDMI 2.1 input on my TV for the PS5 so I just use eARC for audio.

• Options
    Well, I bit the bullet and ordered the Yamaha. Thanks everyone!

• Options
    My Aeon X Closed headphones arrived and they are very nice. The build quality and design of them is spectacular.

People are reporting a 100-200hr burn in period, I'm safe to just have them playing music overnight?

They sound great though, better sound stage then the HD6xx and even without EQ they have better detail then the HD6xx with EQ.

• Options
    I love my Aeon non-x closed. They're by far the most neutral headphones I have which doesn't work for everything I listen to but when they do I they're wonderful. They're also incredibly comfortable.

• Options
    Yeah I don't think I've ever worn such comfortable headphones, I could def where these the entire day without issue.

• Options
    edited November 2021
    Got those alibaba IEM’s, the ZSN Pro X, but they aren't great. The bass is strong but it introduces a ton of distortion and a lot of treble seems to just be missing. Like there were notes or sounds absent from songs.

I have some $40 BT IEM's from Anker that I think are a way better value prop.

EDIT: This was me driving them through a Qudelix 5k. I'll check them on my Topping30/Drop789 stack later, but the Qudelix can drive my HD6xx great.

Dixon on
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
  • Options
    You have got to be fucking kidding me. The snake oil is particularly strong with that one.

• Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    Oh no, those JAMO 803s and their 808 sub look like a fantastic little setup for my dust collecting turntable and stereo.

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    emutheelfemutheelf Dr. Wankenstein Registered User regular
    Any thoughts on the HD560s vs HE400SE? I'm wanting to pick up a budget-friendly entry level headphone and these two seem like the best choices. I was decided on the HD560s but then found quite a few comments at various sites that described the highs as fatiguing and I'm hesitant now to take the plunge.

I do have an amp/DAC en route (DX3 Pro+) so I should be good to go as far as powering either one. I know, kinda cart before the horse and all.

Current Game Rotation: Life is Strange, Super Mario Odyssey, Spelunky
  • Options
    I'd find a place with a good return policy. For every person that mentioned fatiguing highs, you'll have half a dozen that love them. Headphones are like Mattresses, the item doesn't change but you can get a wide set of perceptions about it.

• Options
    SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    emutheelf wrote: »
    Any thoughts on the HD560s vs HE400SE? I'm wanting to pick up a budget-friendly entry level headphone and these two seem like the best choices. I was decided on the HD560s but then found quite a few comments at various sites that described the highs as fatiguing and I'm hesitant now to take the plunge.

I do have an amp/DAC en route (DX3 Pro+) so I should be good to go as far as powering either one. I know, kinda cart before the horse and all.

I can't compare as I only have HD560s and never tried the others.

I 99% enjoy them, with the only note being that the cloth caps are not so smooth on my beard. A minor point of irritation.
    Also I have ear issues so I don't tend to wear for longer than an hour on most days.

Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
  • Options
    I pulled my ATH-M50's out for some reason last week and I can't believe how uncomfortable to wear they were compared to my drop panda's. But before I had the Panda's they were just fine for almost a decade. Funny how that stuff works haha.

• Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    My left ear on my HD598s is cutting sound again... :bigfrown: Last time I was under the two year warranty so they just replaced my 2016 pair with a fresh pair in 2018, but now I'm coming up on year four so... time to research some new open cans for a fresh daily driver. Any suggestions?

• Options
    XantusXantus Registered User regular
    My left ear on my HD598s is cutting sound again... :bigfrown: Last time I was under the two year warranty so they just replaced my 2016 pair with a fresh pair in 2018, but now I'm coming up on year four so... time to research some new open cans for a fresh daily driver. Any suggestions?

well they definitely aren't new. but i just picked up an og pair of these recently. quite comfy

https://www.head-fi.org/classifieds/audio-technica-ath-ad700-og-near-mint.12292/

• Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    My only problem with my pandas is since they are closed back, I have a hard time hearing anything else when I have them on. I'm looking at the Sennheiser RS120 II, since they're open back and wireless with an easy charging cradle. Anyone have any experience with them as a cheaper set?

• Options
    edited January 2022
    I'm also looking at the Corsair HS70 Pro, trying to stay away from gaming headsets and just find a wireless open back (on-ear) pair of headphones that has good sound. Don't want/need noise cancelling or ANC.

Edit - Ended up ordering a Corsair Virtuoso SE headset for the wireless, people say the sound is good, and the quality microphone. Will put away my AT2020 and use the Corsair mic for a bit and see how it works. Plus I won't need a DAC for the headset. It has a lot of different plugs too, Wireless dongle, 3.5, and USB-C connection. I wanted to try them out with my PS5 as well.

These are closed back, but they don't noise cancel, and they look comfortable enough to do one cup on and one cup off if needed so I'll try em out and see. If I don't like them enough I'll return em and get a DT990 Pro wired set and try those out instead.

KoopahTroopah on
  • Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    For Christmas my wife got me a turntable. Add ii decided to build a whole new setup for it.

The Speakers are TriTrix MTM Speaker Kit from Parts Express.

The turntable is an RT Fluance 81.

The amplifier is the Monoprice Pure Tube Stereo Amplifier.

These are like the tenth set of speakers I've built and they sound great, clear with good bass even without a subwoofer. I used this artificial wood veneer that had a funky purple color. It chipped like a mother fucker and I'll use natural veneer and just stain it myself for the rest of my life. What a pain in the ass.

cbswharj1kma.jpg

I am in the business of saving lives.