As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Penny Arcade - Comic

1235»

• Options
    DjiemDjiem Registered User regular
    Hahnsoo1 wrote: »
    All of these people are saying "I'm not a sheep!", and they are posting the exact same talking points that they got from conservative media.

If we are sheep, easily herded around, then they are parrots: phonetically repeating what they hear without an actual understanding of what any of it means.

• Options
    KaitensatsumaKaitensatsuma Registered User regular
    edited October 2021
    Djiem wrote: »
    If we are sheep, easily herded around, then they are parrots: phonetically repeating what they hear without an actual understanding of what any of it means.

I think people who talk down about sheep think they're being clever but:

1 - I'm pretty sure the whole "Sheeple" thing is a round-about reference to Animal Farm, which in itself just used the Sheep as a stand-in for the proletariat swayed easily by and repeat propaganda - which they also are certainly guilty of doing themselves - while being taken advantage of by the Pigs on one side and abused by the Humans on the other. and

2 - Have never faced an Angry Sheep or Ram before, much less a herd of them

Kaitensatsuma on
  • Options
    dennisdennis aka bingley Registered User regular
    edited October 2021
    1 - I'm pretty sure the whole "Sheeple" thing is a round-about reference to Animal Farm, which in itself just used the Sheep as a stand-in for the proletariat swayed easily by and repeat propaganda - which they also are certainly guilty of doing themselves - while being taken advantage of by the Pigs on one side and abused by the Humans on the other.

To be fair, that "sheep" and "shepherd" metaphor is pretty deeply embedded in Western culture. According to etymonline, it goes back in English to at least the 1540s.

I'd say the real irony is it being used as a pejorative by people (overall) associated with a group that exalts the Christian Bible, bursting with references to its believers as sheep.

dennis on
  • Options
    OctoberRavenOctoberRaven Plays fighting games for the story Skyeline Hotel Apartment 4ARegistered User regular
    In my experience, people who unironically use the term "sheeple" are 100% part of a herd mentality where dissent is meant with scorn and disdain.

Currently Most Hype For: VTMB2, Tiny Tina's Wonderlands, Alan Wake 2 (Wake Harder)Currently Playin: Guilty Gear XX AC+R, Gat Out Of Hell
  • Options
    V1mV1m Registered User regular
    V1m wrote: »
    McFodder wrote: »
    PALaxx wrote: »
    Just look at Australia: 95% of the people in the ICU with the virus are vaccinated

Uhhhh
    16nm9eph4ins.png
    Figures from NSW (the state which suffered first from the Delta outbrak) from almost 3 weeks ago (most recent I can find, on their way to getting it under control).

At a point when 66.6% of the eligible population were fully vaccinated (and sure, lets read something into that figure just because) and 87.7% had received at least 1 dose, the 12.3% of the population that was unvaccinated made up 71.6% of those in ICU.

Let's not let facts get in the way though.

I'm surpremely confident that they won't

I'm sure that someone who thinks that allowing 2% of the population to die by his own figures (plus an additional percentage suffering from long term heath symptoms) is preferable to requiring to him get a shot doesn't care about anything that isn't him.

2% of the US population is about 400,000 people btw.

No you're way off on that.
    2% of the US population is about 6.6 million.

I'll take my Friday Mathis to Facebook and will prove you wrong with popularity!!

• Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
  • Options
    shadowysea07shadowysea07 Registered User regular
    "There was a story awhile back of an unvaccinated family that went on a vacation and got Covid, and I believe the father died. My takeaway from that wasn't that they were unvaccinated - according to the story they had decided to wait a little longer just to make sure it was safe - it was they went on vacation. If they wanted to wait on the shot to make extra sure it was safe, well, I can understand that even if I don't agree with it, but by going on vacation - thus greatly increasing both their exposure and those around them - they were refusing to take responsibility for that choice. They should have either postponed/cancelled their vacation or gotten the shot first."

The real takeaway was them "presumably" going to a highly populated area without taking proper precautions not that they took a vacation. You can take a vacation without catching covid as there's plenty of things to do without mingling with a bunch a crowd of people. A lot of people went camping, hiking, driving, fishing, boating and such by themselves and didn't catch anything. Getting a shot first isn't a sure fire way to prevent catching it anyway as proven by people having caught it with being vaccinated. And its people with that thought process of the shot means I can go back to normal routines that are making things worse than they are. As they think that the shot magically makes them immune and or that they aren't capable of spreading it to other people nor are they considering those who can't get the shot like the children, elderly and immune compromised.

tldr taking a vacation isn't irresponsible or selfish in and of itself. It's HOW you take one. And getting a shot doesn't magically make you any better than the people who didn't get one if you are doing the otherwise exact same things as them yourselves.

Now I'll continue watching all the sides burn the world down around them while I sit happily in neutral land.

• Options
    dennisdennis aka bingley Registered User regular
    And getting a shot doesn't magically make you any better than the people who didn't get one if you are doing the otherwise exact same things as them yourselves.

Can't 100% get on board with that. Getting vaccinated means you will be much less likely to get a serious case of COVID. This saves you being such a strain on the health care system, which includes actual human beings that have just had more than enough of this shit. And there is actual data backing up that vaccinated people are less likely to spread if they get a breakthrough infection. Yes, it does dwindle over time, and yes it is more effective against some variants than others. And vaccination does make you less likely to catch it at all (CDC currently says 8x less likely), though not impossible because nothing is 100% effective.

So yeah, I think getting a shot does (though not through magic) make you better than the people who didn't get one, no matter what. Because the people who can't even be bothered getting a shot are probably going to be doing the "bad" things you are doing as well. And it's such a simple and free thing to get a shot, that it's a very small ask for a huge effect.

• Options
    BremenBremen Registered User regular
    The vaccine isn't perfect at protecting you, but it's very, very good - it probably takes the severity for you down to something comparable to a bad flu season, at least. It is also reduces, to a lesser extent, the odds of you giving it to someone else. So does wearing a mask - you're less likely to spread it, but not impossible, which is why a lot of mask mandates were specific to unvaccinated people, though I went ahead and did both because better safe than sorry.

So I'd say being vaccinated doesn't make you better than others in a general sense, but it does mean you're making an effort to protect the lives of people around you, which all in all is a pretty exemplary kind of person to be.

• Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    And getting a shot doesn't magically make you any better than the people who didn't get one if you are doing the otherwise exact same things as them yourselves.

it doesn't 'magically' make you a better person, it scientifically makes you a better person. You are much less vulnerable to, and less likely to spread, a deadly disease.

of course that doesn't mean caution can be thrown to the winds, but if we could somehow give everyone in the country the vaccine life could largely return to normal.

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    Armored ChocoboArmored Chocobo Registered User regular
    Now I'll continue watching all the sides burn the world down around them while I sit happily in neutral land.

Claiming yourself neutral after saying what came before this sentence is an outrageous lie. You clearly possess a bias.

• Options
    KaitensatsumaKaitensatsuma Registered User regular
    edited November 2021

Claiming yourself neutral after saying what came before this sentence is an outrageous lie. You clearly possess a bias.

Right? Being an asshole is also a side.

Kaitensatsuma on
  • Options
    DjiemDjiem Registered User regular
    When one side is right and one side is wrong, claiming yourself neutral isn't the flex you think it is.

• Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    Yeah this isn't Pepsi or Coke, it's Pepsi or Choke.

As in, choking the world to death in ignorance and hate.

• Options
    doompookydoompooky Wild (Let's Draw A) Horses Couldn't Drag Me AwayRegistered User regular
    I've never seen someone brag about being "the Enlightened Centrist" before

we7ek91hy97o.png