As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Nautical Book Club! Lets Read the [Aubrey-Maturin] Series

12346»

• DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    Nrgghhhh I can't find my copy of the Mauritius Command!

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • KanaKana Registered User regular
    edited October 2021
    Book 3, Chapter 3 - A sob, an astonished gasp, and silence.

Jack interviews the Spanish contact Mr Maragall about what happened to Stephen. He was initially denounced by the Spanish, but Stephen's cover story posing as an American apparently satisfied them and everything was all settled. But he was then seized by French intelligence agents, one of those supposed diplomatic units who are actually working as counter-intelligence. The French have been recruiting informers throughout the city, fueling growing hatred of supposed allies who are instead acting like military occupiers. The Catalan resistance - The Confederacio - has agents in the house where the French are operating (Molly Hart's former house!), but while they can get messages in and out they don't have the means to actually effect Stephen's escape. Maragall isn't some hard-boiled throat-slitting guerilla, he's just a lawyer, as are many of his contacts. Jack runs his immediate plan by Maragall - sneak into port at night in the captured French gunboat, sneak through the city to the French HQ, rescue Stephen, and gtfo. Maragall thinks it's doable, and if Jack will let him return he'll arrange guides to help them get through the city, which Jack agrees to, despite the risk of Maragall possibly being a trap. "I am no great politician or judge of character, but my friend is: I am happy to stake my head on his choice."

Jack returns to the Lively and he's at his very most serious and deadly. Normally even like sea-battle Jack has a certain humor about him, he enjoys battles, but there's definitely no joy in him as he relays his orders to the crew. Volunteers only, and no other officers except for Jack, with written orders that there shall be no further rescue attempts if he can't rendezvous back with the Lively within 24 hours. The Lively's lieutenant Simmons is miserable not to be able to go along,
    The first lieutenant reported that the entire launch's crew had volunteered: he had taken them off duty. 'And, sir,' he added, 'the officers and men will take it very unkind indeed if some of them may not come along - if you will not pick from them. I do beg you will not disappoint me and the whole gunroom, sir.'
    'I know what you mean, Simmons - honour their feelings - should feel the same myself. But this is a very particular, hey, expedition. My orders must stand. Is the gunboat alongside?'
    'Just ranging up on the quarter now, sir.'
    'Let Mr West and his mates check her rigging before I go aboard, in half an hour. And the launch's crew are to be provided with red woollen hats, Mediterranean style,' he said, looking at his watch.
    'Yes, sir,' said Simmons in a flat, dead, wretched tone.

Jack's been real careful to manage the feelings of the Lively, since it's not truly his ship, and while the officers all respect him they don't exactly like him, so I think it comes across extra strongly how focused Jack is in his mission to get Stephen back - even the guys who usually might talk back like Killick are instead just yes, sir'ing and snapping to follow his orders. Well, actually I say that but Killick does disobey one direct order - he sneaks himself onto the gunboat, and Jack doesn't spot him until they've already set off from the Lively.
    'You are up to your God-damn-ye capers again, I see,' [Jack] said coldly.
    Killick dared not speak, but put cold mutton, bread and butter, and claret in front of him. 'I must eat,' he said to himself, and deliberately set to his meal: but his stomach was closed - even the wine seemed hard in his gullet. This had not happened to him before, in no action, emergency or crisis. 'It don't signify,' he said, pushing the things aside.

They sail into the harbor, making sure to stay quiet and not speak English, but they're only greeted by a few Spaniards yelling insults. A boat rows out to meet them,
    The boat ran alongside, hooked on, and a man made a blundering leap for the rail; Jack caught his arms and lifted him clear over, looking into his face - Maragall. The boat shoved off; Jack nodded significantly to Bonden, waved his hand, and led Maragall into the cabin.
    'How is he?' he whispered.
    'Alive - still there - they talk of moving him. I have sent no message, received none.' His face was strained and deadly pale, but he moved it into the shape of a smile, and said 'So you are in. No trouble. You are to lie off the old victualling wharf; they have given you the dirty filth-place, because you are French. Listen, I have four guides, and the church will be open. At half after two o'clock I put fire to Martinez's warehouse close to the arsenal - Martinez it was denounced him. This will allow a friend, an officer, to move the troops; by three there will be no soldiers or police within a quarter of a mile of the house. Our two men who work there will be a tthe church to show the way inside the house. Right?'

Maragall reports there's 8 or 9 men inside the house, and adds a stipulation to helping Jack - Jack has to release all the prisoners there, not just Stephen. If only Stephen is released it'll point a finger straight at him, and thus incriminate all his contacts. All the prisoners have to be released at once, so it looks like a spontaneous prison break. It's pretty dang tense on the ship as the men wait for night and for Maragall to execute his plans. Well, it's tense for Jack - the men get to just trust in their all-knowing badass captain, so they laze around napping while they wait. Maragall arrives late, it took him longer than he thought to arrange the fire, but finally Maragall and his guides take Jack's crew into town in small groups one by one, first to the church, then up through the alleys of Port Mahon to the former port commissioner's house. Even from outside the walls they can hear someone screaming in agony from somewhere inside.
    'Come on,' said Jack, ran from the square to the alley in the corner, up the alley, along the high blank wall to where a fig-tree leaned over the top. 'Bonden, make me a back.' He was up. 'Grapnels.' He hooked them around the trunk, whispered 'Land soft, land soft, there,' and dropped into the court.
    Here was the garden house, its windows full of light: and inside the long room three men standing over a common rack; one civilian at a desk, writing; a soldier leaning against the door. The officer who was shouting as he leant over the rack moved sideways to strike again and Jack saw that it was not Stephen spreadeagled there on the ground.
    Behind him there was the soft plump of men dropping from the wall. 'Satisfaction,' he whispered, 'your men round the other side, to the door. Java Dick - that archway with the light. Bonden, with me.'
    The bubbling shriek rose again, huge, beyond human measure, intolerable. Inside the room the strikingly handsome youth had turned and now he was looking up with a triumphant smile at the other officers. His coat and his collar wer open, and he had something in his hand.
    Jack drew his sword, opened the long window: their faces turned, indignant, then shocked, amazed. Three long strides, and balancing, with a furious grip on his hilt, he cut forehand at the boy and backhand at the man next to him. Instantly the room was filled - bellowing noise, rushing movement, blows, the thud of bodies, a shout from the last officer, chair and table crashing down, the black civilian with two seamen on top of him, a smothered scream. The soldier shooting out of the door - an animal cry beyond it; and silence. The demented, inhuman face of the man on the rack, running with sweat.

From a writing craft standpoint I really dig this chapter, it's extremely very auditory. Like very few descriptions of what things look like, O'Brian wants us to imagine the horrors. But very intense aural descriptions - screams and grunts and thuds and pained breathing and movement. It's a very different vibe than any battle scenes we've had before. Maragall tells Jack the names of some of the soldiers and officers who should be in the house itself.
    He walked across the court, his boots loud on the stones and soft feed padding by him: a moment's pause for a last check and he called out 'Potier.' In the same instant, like an echo from up the stairs came the shout 'Potier', and the whistling, which had stopped, started again, stopped, and 'Potier!' again, louder. The argument in the guardroom slackened, listening; and again, 'Potier!'
    'J'arrive, mon capitaine,' cried the corporal; he came out of the room, still talking into it before he closed the door. A sob, an astonished gasp, and silence. Jack called 'Normand,' and the door opened again; but it was a surly, questioning, almost suspicious face that craned out, slammed the door at what it saw.
    'Right,' said Jack, and flung his sixteen stone against it. The door burst inwards, shuddering as it swung; but there was only one man left this side of the crowded open window: they hunted him down in one quick turn. Shrieks in the courtyard.

They capture one of the officers that Maragall named, Dutourd, and force him to take them to where Stephen is, while the sailors go through the house and free the other prisoners. Stephen is strapped into... Well, some sort of torture machine, we never actually get a real description of it, but Jack is both so furious his arms are shaking and also pale-faced with concern for Stephen. They untie Stephen and give him some wine to drink, who's very weak but still conscious and more-or-less clear thinking.
    'Clear the room, Satisfaction,' said Jack, breaking off - several prisoners had come up, some crawling, and now two of them made a determined rush at Dutourd, standing ghastly, pressed into the corner.
    'That man must have a priest,' said Stephen.
    'Must we kill him?' said Jack.
    Stephen nodded. 'But first he must write to the colonel - bring him here - say, vital information - the American has talked - it will not wait. Must not: vital.'
    'Tell him, sir,' said Jack to Maragall, looking back over his shoulder, with the look of profound affection still on his face. 'Tell him he must write this note. If the colonel is not here in ten minutes I shall kill him on that machine.'
    Maragall led Dutourd to the desk, put a pen in his hand. 'He says he cannot,' he reported. 'Says his honour as an officer - '
    'His what?' cried Jack, looking at the thing from which he had unstrapped Stephen.
    Shouting, scuffling, a fall on the way up.
    'Sir,' said Bonden, 'this chap comes in at the front door.' Two of his mates propped a man into the room. 'I'm afraid the prisoners nobbled him on the way up.'
    They stared at the dying, the dead colonel, and in the pause Dutourd whipped round, dashed out the lamp, and leapt from the window.

They aren't on the ground floor, and when the sailors go down to check, welp, Dutourd's dead. Nice of him to spare Jack from doing it at least. Stephen tells Maragall where the colonel keeps his important papers, and then the sailors rig up a bit of wood to carry Stephen on back to the boat. They get back with no complications and the gunboat sets off while Port Mahon is still asleep.
    'God knows I should do the same again,' said Jack, leaning on the helm to close [the Lively], the keen spray stinging his tired, reddened eyes. 'But I feel I need the whole sea to clean me.'

What a great, intense, dark chapter. We don't really yet know the damage to Stephen, except that he's apparently pretty fucked up. Last chapter Jack was shocked at the brutality of his partly-pirate crew, as they pushed the line of what he viewed as the difference between clean, honorable combat and just murder. But now Jack's done the same thing, and isn't too happy about it.

Kana on
    A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • KanaKana Registered User regular
    I couldn't find the clip, but I liked how even though Stephen being a spy is never a plot point in the movie, there's a couple easter egg-y bits in the movie about this stuff.

One is early on, Stephen's line, "Well, the French have their spies, in England and elsewhere, as do we" and he gives Jack a kinda significant look, since, well, obviously Stephen is one of those spies.

The other one is more subtle - when Stephen and Jack are playing music, Stephen takes a break to massage his hands, with a pained look on his face. You'd think it's just rubbing out a cramp, but it's a reference to the torture he received in this chapter - doing fine manipulation like music, even years later, still causes pain in his hands.

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    I looked up "nobble" because I get the gist from context but not the specifics. On it's own, I'd have guessed that it meant "to steal," so maybe this was a case of a coshing ending up more fatal than intended?

Since the library subscribes to the unabridged Oxford English Dictionary, I got this excellent context quote: "They've got two blokes to nobble you... Real aggro men who'll marmalize anybody for a few quid."

Ah. It appears the colonel was marmalized, then. Well, couldn't have happened to a nicer guy.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    Master and Commander finally came through, and I just realized I'm not quite sure where Killick actually comes from? Was he the gun room steward originally on the Sophie, or had he been with Jack longer than that?

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
  • V1mV1m Registered User regular
    The dinner party in chapter 2 had frequent mentions of the bugs that were all over the food. At one point Jack spotted a "bargeman" in the chaplain's soup and had Killick take it away before the chaplain noticed.

This had me wondering about bargemen and in searching around online I found this interesting description of the biscuits that were used by the American and Royal navies during that time: Some Notes on Navy Biscuit - USS Constitution Museum"

Drachinifel did a thing on navy rations of that time:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ChhUFyw4qf8

edited October 2021
    Kana wrote: »
    Book 3, Chapter 3 - A sob, an astonished gasp, and silence.

Jack interviews the Spanish contact Mr Maragall about what happened to Stephen. He was initially denounced by the Spanish, but Stephen's cover story posing as an American apparently satisfied them and everything was all settled. But he was then seized by French intelligence agents, one of those supposed diplomatic units who are actually working as counter-intelligence. The French have been recruiting informers throughout the city, fueling growing hatred of supposed allies who are instead acting like military occupiers. The Catalan resistance - The Confederacio - has agents in the house where the French are operating (Molly Hart's former house!), but while they can get messages in and out they don't have the means to actually effect Stephen's escape. Maragall isn't some hard-boiled throat-slitting guerilla, he's just a lawyer, as are many of his contacts. Jack runs his immediate plan by Maragall - sneak into port at night in the captured French gunboat, sneak through the city to the French HQ, rescue Stephen, and gtfo. Maragall thinks it's doable, and if Jack will let him return he'll arrange guides to help them get through the city, which Jack agrees to, despite the risk of Maragall possibly being a trap. "I am no great politician or judge of character, but my friend is: I am happy to stake my head on his choice."

Jack returns to the Lively and he's at his very most serious and deadly. Normally even like sea-battle Jack has a certain humor about him, he enjoys battles, but there's definitely no joy in him as he relays his orders to the crew. Volunteers only, and no other officers except for Jack, with written orders that there shall be no further rescue attempts if he can't rendezvous back with the Lively within 24 hours. The Lively's lieutenant Simmons is miserable not to be able to go along,
    The first lieutenant reported that the entire launch's crew had volunteered: he had taken them off duty. 'And, sir,' he added, 'the officers and men will take it very unkind indeed if some of them may not come along - if you will not pick from them. I do beg you will not disappoint me and the whole gunroom, sir.'
    'I know what you mean, Simmons - honour their feelings - should feel the same myself. But this is a very particular, hey, expedition. My orders must stand. Is the gunboat alongside?'
    'Just ranging up on the quarter now, sir.'
    'Let Mr West and his mates check her rigging before I go aboard, in half an hour. And the launch's crew are to be provided with red woollen hats, Mediterranean style,' he said, looking at his watch.
    'Yes, sir,' said Simmons in a flat, dead, wretched tone.

Jack's been real careful to manage the feelings of the Lively, since it's not truly his ship, and while the officers all respect him they don't exactly like him, so I think it comes across extra strongly how focused Jack is in his mission to get Stephen back - even the guys who usually might talk back like Killick are instead just yes, sir'ing and snapping to follow his orders. Well, actually I say that but Killick does disobey one direct order - he sneaks himself onto the gunboat, and Jack doesn't spot him until they've already set off from the Lively.
    'You are up to your God-damn-ye capers again, I see,' [Jack] said coldly.
    Killick dared not speak, but put cold mutton, bread and butter, and claret in front of him. 'I must eat,' he said to himself, and deliberately set to his meal: but his stomach was closed - even the wine seemed hard in his gullet. This had not happened to him before, in no action, emergency or crisis. 'It don't signify,' he said, pushing the things aside.

They sail into the harbor, making sure to stay quiet and not speak English, but they're only greeted by a few Spaniards yelling insults. A boat rows out to meet them,
    The boat ran alongside, hooked on, and a man made a blundering leap for the rail; Jack caught his arms and lifted him clear over, looking into his face - Maragall. The boat shoved off; Jack nodded significantly to Bonden, waved his hand, and led Maragall into the cabin.
    'How is he?' he whispered.
    'Alive - still there - they talk of moving him. I have sent no message, received none.' His face was strained and deadly pale, but he moved it into the shape of a smile, and said 'So you are in. No trouble. You are to lie off the old victualling wharf; they have given you the dirty filth-place, because you are French. Listen, I have four guides, and the church will be open. At half after two o'clock I put fire to Martinez's warehouse close to the arsenal - Martinez it was denounced him. This will allow a friend, an officer, to move the troops; by three there will be no soldiers or police within a quarter of a mile of the house. Our two men who work there will be a tthe church to show the way inside the house. Right?'

Maragall reports there's 8 or 9 men inside the house, and adds a stipulation to helping Jack - Jack has to release all the prisoners there, not just Stephen. If only Stephen is released it'll point a finger straight at him, and thus incriminate all his contacts. All the prisoners have to be released at once, so it looks like a spontaneous prison break. It's pretty dang tense on the ship as the men wait for night and for Maragall to execute his plans. Well, it's tense for Jack - the men get to just trust in their all-knowing badass captain, so they laze around napping while they wait. Maragall arrives late, it took him longer than he thought to arrange the fire, but finally Maragall and his guides take Jack's crew into town in small groups one by one, first to the church, then up through the alleys of Port Mahon to the former port commissioner's house. Even from outside the walls they can hear someone screaming in agony from somewhere inside.
    'Come on,' said Jack, ran from the square to the alley in the corner, up the alley, along the high blank wall to where a fig-tree leaned over the top. 'Bonden, make me a back.' He was up. 'Grapnels.' He hooked them around the trunk, whispered 'Land soft, land soft, there,' and dropped into the court.
    Here was the garden house, its windows full of light: and inside the long room three men standing over a common rack; one civilian at a desk, writing; a soldier leaning against the door. The officer who was shouting as he leant over the rack moved sideways to strike again and Jack saw that it was not Stephen spreadeagled there on the ground.
    Behind him there was the soft plump of men dropping from the wall. 'Satisfaction,' he whispered, 'your men round the other side, to the door. Java Dick - that archway with the light. Bonden, with me.'
    The bubbling shriek rose again, huge, beyond human measure, intolerable. Inside the room the strikingly handsome youth had turned and now he was looking up with a triumphant smile at the other officers. His coat and his collar wer open, and he had something in his hand.
    Jack drew his sword, opened the long window: their faces turned, indignant, then shocked, amazed. Three long strides, and balancing, with a furious grip on his hilt, he cut forehand at the boy and backhand at the man next to him. Instantly the room was filled - bellowing noise, rushing movement, blows, the thud of bodies, a shout from the last officer, chair and table crashing down, the black civilian with two seamen on top of him, a smothered scream. The soldier shooting out of the door - an animal cry beyond it; and silence. The demented, inhuman face of the man on the rack, running with sweat.

From a writing craft standpoint I really dig this chapter, it's extremely very auditory. Like very few descriptions of what things look like, O'Brian wants us to imagine the horrors. But very intense aural descriptions - screams and grunts and thuds and pained breathing and movement. It's a very different vibe than any battle scenes we've had before. Maragall tells Jack the names of some of the soldiers and officers who should be in the house itself.
    He walked across the court, his boots loud on the stones and soft feed padding by him: a moment's pause for a last check and he called out 'Potier.' In the same instant, like an echo from up the stairs came the shout 'Potier', and the whistling, which had stopped, started again, stopped, and 'Potier!' again, louder. The argument in the guardroom slackened, listening; and again, 'Potier!'
    'J'arrive, mon capitaine,' cried the corporal; he came out of the room, still talking into it before he closed the door. A sob, an astonished gasp, and silence. Jack called 'Normand,' and the door opened again; but it was a surly, questioning, almost suspicious face that craned out, slammed the door at what it saw.
    'Right,' said Jack, and flung his sixteen stone against it. The door burst inwards, shuddering as it swung; but there was only one man left this side of the crowded open window: they hunted him down in one quick turn. Shrieks in the courtyard.

They capture one of the officers that Maragall named, Dutourd, and force him to take them to where Stephen is, while the sailors go through the house and free the other prisoners. Stephen is strapped into... Well, some sort of torture machine, we never actually get a real description of it, but Jack is both so furious his arms are shaking and also pale-faced with concern for Stephen. They untie Stephen and give him some wine to drink, who's very weak but still conscious and more-or-less clear thinking.
    'Clear the room, Satisfaction,' said Jack, breaking off - several prisoners had come up, some crawling, and now two of them made a determined rush at Dutourd, standing ghastly, pressed into the corner.
    'That man must have a priest,' said Stephen.
    'Must we kill him?' said Jack.
    Stephen nodded. 'But first he must write to the colonel - bring him here - say, vital information - the American has talked - it will not wait. Must not: vital.'
    'Tell him, sir,' said Jack to Maragall, looking back over his shoulder, with the look of profound affection still on his face. 'Tell him he must write this note. If the colonel is not here in ten minutes I shall kill him on that machine.'
    Maragall led Dutourd to the desk, put a pen in his hand. 'He says he cannot,' he reported. 'Says his honour as an officer - '
    'His what?' cried Jack, looking at the thing from which he had unstrapped Stephen.
    Shouting, scuffling, a fall on the way up.
    'Sir,' said Bonden, 'this chap comes in at the front door.' Two of his mates propped a man into the room. 'I'm afraid the prisoners nobbled him on the way up.'
    They stared at the dying, the dead colonel, and in the pause Dutourd whipped round, dashed out the lamp, and leapt from the window.

They aren't on the ground floor, and when the sailors go down to check, welp, Dutourd's dead. Nice of him to spare Jack from doing it at least. Stephen tells Maragall where the colonel keeps his important papers, and then the sailors rig up a bit of wood to carry Stephen on back to the boat. They get back with no complications and the gunboat sets off while Port Mahon is still asleep.
    'God knows I should do the same again,' said Jack, leaning on the helm to close [the Lively], the keen spray stinging his tired, reddened eyes. 'But I feel I need the whole sea to clean me.'

What a great, intense, dark chapter. We don't really yet know the damage to Stephen, except that he's apparently pretty fucked up. Last chapter Jack was shocked at the brutality of his partly-pirate crew, as they pushed the line of what he viewed as the difference between clean, honorable combat and just murder. But now Jack's done the same thing, and isn't too happy about it.

'His what?' cried Jack

Dutourd did well to escape there. Aubrey was not about to give him any consideration whatsoever.

V1m on
  • Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    V1m wrote: »
    The dinner party in chapter 2 had frequent mentions of the bugs that were all over the food. At one point Jack spotted a "bargeman" in the chaplain's soup and had Killick take it away before the chaplain noticed.

This had me wondering about bargemen and in searching around online I found this interesting description of the biscuits that were used by the American and Royal navies during that time: Some Notes on Navy Biscuit - USS Constitution Museum"

Drachinifel did a thing on navy rations of that time:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ChhUFyw4qf8

I've personally done some hobby research on long-lasting packable foods for the sake of backpacking and something that came up was hard tack.

Hard tack has been around for ages (it was a staple food for Roman soldiers). It's very easy to make, lasts for ages, and is incredibly durable (which is great for any prepared food that you want to use traveling).

But to give you an idea of the durability, and flavor, of hard tack, it has a variety of colorful descriptive names: sheet iron, worm castles, tooth dullers, etc. I've made hard tack as an experiment and it is basically inedible without some additional variety of preparation. Not because you can't digest it, but because trying to eat it without softening it first is going to wreck your teeth. It is just shy of trying to chew a rock. And it keeps forever; I left my run out on the countertop for something like three months before it started to look different; I assumed you could still eat it, but I didn't try.

Basically, choose pemmican instead. It's got savory meat protein flavored with tasty berries, lasts for years at room temperature, and you can make it into bars and balls that you can just eat straight-up with no preparation.

Well there's a reason I didn't post that in one of the food threads. No one should eat hard-tack now.

Drach did seem to enjoy his salted beef though!

And the rum...

• DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    edited November 2021
    For those of you reading ahead like me, I got to the part in Mauritius Command where Jack asks the crew of the Africaine about their captain.
    "Don't know, sir"

HOLY SHIT

DisruptedCapitalist on
    "Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)