As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

I Really Hope the [Kids] are alright

• djmitchelladjmitchella Registered User regular
    CroakerBC wrote: »
    All I have to do to stop this is spend the next six months sleeping on the floor at 19:30 with my hand jammed through crib bars I guess.

This was how I played a bunch of Professor Layton / Phoenix Wright games, because you _can_ play them half-asleep with one hand resting on a baby through crib bars (heck, you get more playtime if you can't remember who did what or which matchstick goes where). And yeah, it does end, though I can't remember exactly when.

(though I do remember taking one baby on a trip when he was about 9 months old and in a pack-and-play (that didn't have gaps in the sides) and having to sleep on the edge of the motel bed with my arm dangling off the side onto the baby, and waking up with my arm being _very_ numb).

• DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    Just took a shotgun blast of a sneeze to the face from a sniffly Athena, so I guess I'll start crushing up and snorting Alka Seltzer to get out ahead of the virus.

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• SharpyVIISharpyVII Registered User regular
    Took my son to a soft play centre for the first time today with his cousins.

I am tired....

• FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    My children have discovered Britney Spears 90's back catalogue and my wife is encouraging them.

X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    Fishman wrote: »
    My children have discovered Britney Spears 90's back catalogue and my wife is encouraging them.

This relationship seems Toxic.

Moriveth wrote: »

That was 2003!

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    DaMoonRulz wrote: »

That was 2003!

Look man I named the first song that came into my head

• NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular

That was 2003!

It just hit you (baby) one more time I guess

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular

That was 2003!

Oops, you did it again.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
    Just took a shotgun blast of a sneeze to the face from a sniffly Athena, so I guess I'll start crushing up and snorting Alka Seltzer to get out ahead of the virus.

Guess who woke up with a scratchy throat

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Ellie has started repeating the "I think it would be better without me" and "sometime I think you never wanted me" every time she and I have an argument.

She's almost 6.

So in going to contact a parent help phone line thing and see what they suggest.

But now that it's happening almost every day with me, I'm feeling a lot more worried.

• AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    Geez that sounds terrible Ahava, I hope that phone line has some advice.

• MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    Ellie has started repeating the "I think it would be better without me" and "sometime I think you never wanted me" every time she and I have an argument.

She's almost 6.

So in going to contact a parent help phone line thing and see what they suggest.

But now that it's happening almost every day with me, I'm feeling a lot more worried.

Oh Jesus, man. Lots of reassurance and showing her how important she is?

I've got the opposite going on here, "I don't want Daddy around"

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular

That was 2003!

Her first album came out in 1999 so her 90's catalog is exactly one album.

• KalnaurKalnaur I See Rain . . . Centralia, WARegistered User regular
    edited November 2021
    There's a Micky Mouse Halloween Spooktacular cartoon on Disney+, and my kid wants to keep watching it, "again". If it's not quickly started after the request of "again", he'll say, "Mitty . . . Moush . . . A'ween."

In other news, my kid is talking more, though that also means he's kind of mushing more words. My favorite is "GEGO OO-ee-gee" which is LEGO Luigi, which he got for his birthday, and is his way of asking one of us to play it with him.

Edit: I forgot the other fun one: "Detroid Dread". Yes, Metroid Dread. He's, like, a Metroid superfan, since I played Super Metroid around/for him. I played the demo of Dread last night and he was jumping up and down, repeating "Det-roid Dread, Det-roid Dread" in a chanting fashion while it was downloading, and then tried to nab the controller the moment it finished downloading. And I've been trying all morning to explain what a "demo" means. :eek:

Kalnaur on
    I make art things! deviantART: Kalnaur ::: Origin: Kalnaur ::: UPlay: Kalnaur
  • m!ttensm!ttens he/himRegistered User regular
    Kalnaur wrote: »
    There's a Micky Mouse Halloween Spooktacular cartoon on Disney+, and my kid wants to keep watching it, "again". If it's not quickly started after the request of "again", he'll say, "Mitty . . . Moush . . . A'ween."

In other news, my kid is talking more, though that also means he's kind of mushing more words. My favorite is "GEGO OO-ee-gee" which is LEGO Luigi, which he got for his birthday, and is his way of asking one of us to play it with him.

No matter how many times I explain "sweetheart, your show is set to autoplay the next episode, be patient for literally 8 full seconds" I get an "again, again!" immediately at the start of credits for every show she watches. Kids these days don't understand how good they have it with no commercials, whatever they want to watch literally at their fingertips and no crummy VHS television recordings to deal with (if you were lucky).

• MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    Forget general streaming, but what about having the almost literal entirety of human creative creation available at any moment?

Ripley can just declare she'd like whatever show and poof, there it is.

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • CroakerBCCroakerBC TorontoRegistered User regular
    m!ttens wrote: »

No matter how many times I explain "sweetheart, your show is set to autoplay the next episode, be patient for literally 8 full seconds" I get an "again, again!" immediately at the start of credits for every show she watches. Kids these days don't understand how good they have it with no commercials, whatever they want to watch literally at their fingertips and no crummy VHS television recordings to deal with (if you were lucky).

To be fair, with adverts there was no 8 second gap. Just, you know, adverts.

• PeenPeen Registered User regular
    My kids flipped their lids the first time they had to watch live TV with commercials and they still hate it.

• TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    edited November 2021
    Peen wrote: »
    My kids flipped their lids the first time they had to watch live TV with commercials and they still hate it.

Same.

I mean me. I can't stand that shit.

TheStig on
    bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
    I was idly musing that the kid had never touched an old CRT TV-screen. If we ever run into one it won't matter what's on it, Ima show him you can stick paper to them and it makes the best ASMR-sound in the Human Era when you stroke it with the back of your hand.

Anyway, just the sheer joy of going "hey wanna watch Totoro?" and it's right there kinda offsets a lot of the existential dread I have over the amount of entertainment available to little children.

• ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular

She's almost 6.

Aww I'm going through the same thing with Jaina right now. She says she thinks it a lot but she only said it to us once. It's fucking terrifying, and I don't have a lot of advice here. Just solidarity.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
    I think that the amount of stuff kids have access to is great and enviable and we've gotten a lot of social mileage out of making them negotiate about which shows they're going to watch in the hour or two that they have, there are a lot of lessons about compromise and making deals that are good for both sides to be had.

• FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    edited November 2021
    I just bought a new Xbox S for the hobby room and set up accounts for both my kids with parental monitoring and a 1-hour screentime limit (each) covering both games and streaming apps and I'm interested to see how it goes.

Fishman on
    X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    I just bought a new Xbox S for the hobby room and set up accounts for both my kids with parental monitoring and a 1-hour screentime limit (each) covering both games and streaming apps and I'm interested to see how it goes.

Did you know my wife ran the team that rebuilt the XBox parental controls from scratch? Even though she's not at MS anymore, I'm sure she'd still love to hear what you think about how well it works.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
    MNC Dover wrote: »

Did you know my wife ran the team that rebuilt the XBox parental controls from scratch? Even though she's not at MS anymore, I'm sure she'd still love to hear what you think about how well it works.

Tell her that app fuckin slaps, the only problem is around giving the kids purchasing power for themselves that isn't awkwardly loading $10 into a virtual wallet but I'm sure that's hideously complicated, but otherwise it rules and if I had her mailing address I'd send her something nice.

• plufimplufim Dr Registered User regular
    For other Aussie parents here:

Hopefully the rest of you don't have to wait longer!

3DS 0302-0029-3193 NNID plufim steam plufim PSN plufim
    steam_sig.png
    My daughter’s birthday is on Saturday and it’ll be her first party with lots of friends. Any suggestions for games or activities for 15 or so kids? Gonna be outdoor at the park in an area with a dome to keep the rain out.

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Don't over think it.

Just let them run around like children

• CorvusCorvus . VancouverRegistered User regular
    Yeah. Maybe put out some "invitation to play" stuff like bubbles, sidewalk chalk, balls, etc.

:so_raven:
  • MulysaSemproniusMulysaSempronius but also susie nyRegistered User regular
    Woohoo vaccine time ( next week)

If that's all there is my friends, then let's keep dancing
  • SporkAndrewSporkAndrew Registered User, ClubPA regular
    I went full "Calvin's Dad" on our recent trip to Chester Zoo. Whilst walking between areas he asks me "Are all the animals here real or are some made up especially for the zoo?" so obviously I went with the old standby of "they're mostly real, except for the zebras. They're just black horses with white stripes painted on" and the knowing nod I got in response was priceless. Like he knew it already and I was just confirming something to him

The one about the fucking space hairdresser and the cowboy. He's got a tinfoil pal and a pedal bin
  • discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    plufim wrote: »
    For other Aussie parents here:

Hopefully the rest of you don't have to wait longer!

Time to bust out the duck cake from the cake book every Australian owns

• Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    edited November 2021
    Blake T wrote: »

That is . . . entirely accurate to how the episode went. :lol:

Also, my favorite line in that episode (possibly my favorite and at least one of my favorite lines in the series) is "He was not a funny clown." It makes me laugh every time.

If someone here has that book (that's apparently real?), I would love to see this clown they're talking about, at least what it's "supposed" to look like.

Kalnaur on
  • discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    edited November 2021
    Blake T wrote: »

That is . . . entirely accurate to how the episode went. :lol:

Also, my favorite line in that episode (possibly my favorite and at least one of my favorite lines in the series) is "He was not a funny clown." It makes me laugh every time.

If someone here has that book (that's apparently real?), I would love to see this clown they're talking about, at least what it's "supposed" to look like.

Could be this one:
    tylndapo963i.jpg
    Or this one:
    gx7nski4p1qm.jpg
    My bet is on the latter (Clarence), because it also appears to be a 3D cake, like the duck cake.
    So there's every likelyhood that it wound up looking more like Bandit's duck cake.

Funny thing was I didn't realise that my mum and my wife both had this cookbook until I saw the 6-cake in Bluey:
    x7m5pvmmquu7.jpg

discrider on
    I mean, that first one is terrifying all by itself with no help. :lol:

OK, so I got some new erasable markers, a tablet of 40 blank pages, bubbles, sidewalk chalk, a 50 piece state shaped USA puzzle, and a mini-basketball hoop and bowling ball + pins from grandma's house. We should be good on entertainment for the party.

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
    I was on the toilet and my kid was calling for me, so I said I'd be there in a min. He said that was fine and he'd do it himself. Yay!

So I come into the kitchen and he had grabbed his drink, but it was in an old cup with built-in straw I hadn't seen in a while. Little King picked up on my worries and told me I didn't have to worry because he flushed out the cup a few times. I said he did well. The he added that there were also some small black hairs in the straw, but he cleaned those off with my keys....

Aaaahhhhh

Really hope his resistance knows what to do with this. I immediately threw out the cup, I think he only had a few sips. What's the turnaround for food poisoning?