As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The [Elden Ring] Has Shattered (CLOSED SPOILERS)

• Options
    The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    That sure did look like Dark Souls 4: breath of the wild!

(This is not a bad thing, mind!)

Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
    Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
    Switch: 0293 6817 9891
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    I'm never been the biggest dark souls player, but I've enjoyed the not dark souls games, and this looks like it has enough not dark souls to scratch my itch. The verticality in exploration was interesting.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    ED!ED! Registered User regular
    edited November 2021
    So my initial eye-rolls at the beginning of the video (literally reusing assets from Dark Souls 3, when the game was already looking like DS3: Open World Edition) to "Yeah, I can get behind this. . ." with the colorful forest, small hidden side save to large iconic dungeon, and finally to the character not dying from jumping off a ledge. I still am wary about the game to be honest, but if this is as open as it seems and with the content to back it up (not falling into the BotW trap) then I'm in all the way. Reviews are definitely going to be interesting on this one.

. . .still though, can we get another backstab or riposte sound for fucks sake. This isn't the LINK opening of a treasure box (or maybe it is I dunno).

EDIT: I take all the concern-trolling back. The STORMVEIL castle walkthrough with the almost MGSV/Hitman-esque approach to discovering knocks and crannies and alternate routes was fantastic. MIYAZAKI doesn't typically half-ass things so if what we're seeing here is a taste I'm thinking the full meal is going to be quite flavorful. Yes, indeed.

ED! on
    "Get the hell out of me" - [ex]girlfriend
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    You guys are making it incredibly difficult to remain on a media blackout of the game lol

• Options
    https://us.gamesplanet.com/game/elden-ring-steam-key--4266-1

Game is on sale from Gamesplanet for $50. You'll get a Steam key when it gets released. I've used them before and haven't had a problem.

• Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    urahonky wrote: »

Game is on sale from Gamesplanet for $50. You'll get a Steam key when it gets released. I've used them before and haven't had a problem.

$48 at GMG

https://www.greenmangaming.com/games/elden-ring-pc/

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    SyphonBlue wrote: »

$48 at GMG

https://www.greenmangaming.com/games/elden-ring-pc/

Yeah I saw that like 30 minutes after I bought it from Gamesplanet haha. Oh well!

• Options
    QanamilQanamil x Registered User regular
    I'm happy about all the jumping shown. Genuinely.

• Options
    ED!ED! Registered User regular
    Qanamil wrote: »
    I'm happy about all the jumping shown. Genuinely.

When I first saw it I thought, "Boy this is low-hanging fruit to appease folks." Only when I saw the Stormveil traversal did I start to realize "Yeah, this game has to have that."

"Get the hell out of me" - [ex]girlfriend
  • Options
    The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    I'm hoping there's something similar to pyromancy in this game, mechanically, because I'm basically always a sword and melting faces in accord penguin in these

Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
    Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
    Switch: 0293 6817 9891
  • Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    Cruor wrote: »
    I'm very happy with how bright and colorful a lot of the areas seem. Will make for great contrast when in dungeons.

I cannot wait to see this game in HDR.

I fucking loved Sekiro's HDR even if the menu looked a little washed out. It was rich and vibrant.

This is their second outing using HDR and I really think it's going to look far better than these videos make it out to be. At least, color wise.

• Options
    AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    Naturally the first thing I notice and sticks in my head from that twitch stream chat is: Bonflower lit

Goddamnit

We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    Looks great. I'm sure I will lose a non-trivial amount of time to it.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    edited November 2021
    Yeah people are flipping about the new level up waifu

Spoiled for those who don't want to see what she looks like
    7suhm3u52un1.jpg

There's something very Final Fantasy about this face. I felt like Dark Souls faces always kind of looked like Greek statues previously.

My question is, why does Michael Zaki hate eyes on women so much.

jungleroomx on
  • Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    The [Elden Ring] Has Shattered Mine Own Expectations!

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    KamarKamar Registered User regular
    edited November 2021
    I hope the Loyce Greatsword moveset makes it back in from 2.

Also, the Astora (Ultra) Greatsword from 3.

And the Thrall Axe from 3.

Kamar on
  • Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    I haven't played through all the other Souls games. I collect them.

I probably should focus on Dark Souls. I worry they will drop online support for that. I am sure Bloodborne and Sekiro will hang on for a while.

• Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    What's with all the fade ins/fade outs?
    The dragon looks fun, at least.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    edited November 2021
    Got a snip from the video so this whole thing about colors is going in spoilers, but no actual spoilers if you've watched the video or the trailer
    So, the colors in this are really interesting.

ngl7eqruduj2.png

The shadows and the midtones really remind me of DS1, how the shadows were very harsh and the midtones really vibrant. But the highlights and lights are the direct opposite: Pastel, a bit watercolor-y, a bit washed out? Very DS3. It really gives the entire thing an ethereal and unique appearance that puts it in stark contrast the work from Bluepoint on Demon's Souls and what From is actually capable of. I'm very excited to see this in HDR, because I have a feeling it's going to be quite the visual smorgasboard.

jungleroomx on
  • Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    There seems to be more life in the world of the game. Green grass.

• Options
    HachfaceHachface Not the Minister Farrakhan you're thinking of Dammit, Shepard!Registered User regular
    Elden Ring looks sick

From Software don't miss

• Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    The fact this game seems to be taking a lot from Sekiro in terms of traversal mechanics has me super excited. Jumping around and getting places in Dark Souls has always felt like a painful challenge, when it really shouldn't be.

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    Aegeri wrote: »
    The fact this game seems to be taking a lot from Sekiro in terms of traversal mechanics has me super excited. Jumping around and getting places in Dark Souls has always felt like a painful challenge, when it really shouldn't be.

To their credit they did make jumping feel as cumbersome and clumsy as jumping in a suit of armor probably actually is, but I'd much rather have better travel mechanics than a more realistic plodding gameplay mechanic.

• Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    Not all of us wear armour.

Real Dark Souls starts when you fight the first 1/3 of DS3 as a deprived in no armour whatsoever.

Except eventually a filthy loincloth. FILTHY FILTHY LOINCLOTH.

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited November 2021
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    What's with all the fade ins/fade outs?
    The dragon looks fun, at least.

Because they are showing different builds/techniques

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    EtiowsaEtiowsa Registered User regular
    There better be a goddamn moonlight sword in this.

• Options
    el_vicioel_vicio Registered User regular

7suhm3u52un1.jpg

There's something very Final Fantasy about this face. I felt like Dark Souls faces always kind of looked like Greek statues previously.

Are we sure she's the new level up lady? Cause
    she's the lady with the sick helmet and lance(?) from the other promo material, doesn't seem like a hub-only person

ouxsemmi8rm9.png

• Options
    Andy JoeAndy Joe We claim the land for the highlord! The AdirondacksRegistered User regular
    Anyone else expect the treasure chest behind the false wall to be a mimic?

XBL: Stealth Crane PSN: ajpet12 3DS: 1160-9999-5810 NNID: StealthCrane Pokemon Scarlet Name: Carmen
  • Options
    edited November 2021
    el_vicio wrote: »

7suhm3u52un1.jpg

she's the lady with the sick helmet and lance(?) from the other promo material, doesn't seem like a hub-only person
    Melina vs Malenia

jungleroomx on
  • Options
    QanamilQanamil x Registered User regular
    Andy Joe wrote: »
    Anyone else expect the treasure chest behind the false wall to be a mimic?

I definitely examined the chain while they were just opening the dang thing.

• Options

7suhm3u52un1.jpg

Melina vs Malenia

Oh. Oh! My bad, whoops

ouxsemmi8rm9.png

• Options
    TelMarineTelMarine Registered User regular
    You guys are making it incredibly difficult to remain on a media blackout of the game lol

What I did was just skip around and watch a few seconds here and there to get an idea of what it's like, but nothing substantial to really spoil anything

3ds: 4983-4935-4575
  • Options

7suhm3u52un1.jpg

Melina vs Malenia

Oh. Oh! My bad, whoops

I mean

They could've tried to separate the names a bit

• Options
    GRR Martin was in a hurry! He had to go back to writing The Songs o--
    oh who am I kidding

ouxsemmi8rm9.png

• Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular

7suhm3u52un1.jpg

Melina vs Malenia

Oh. Oh! My bad, whoops

I mean

They could've tried to separate the names a bit

This is Sauron and Saruman all over again. Or Arawyn and Eowyn?

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    I'll have to watch the video again, but overall I like how aggressive and fast paced the combat can be, as Bloodborne is my favorite of the From Soft souls style games. I would love to see the ability to rally in Elden Ring as something you could get from an item or the like, like as a gameplay style you can spec into, no idea how realistic that is though (or if they've already had something to say on the idea) It's one of the things I like best about Bloodborne's gameplay.

Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
  • Options
    EmperorSethEmperorSeth Registered User regular
    ...okay, I'm into it. I wasn't paying much attention until now, but that video sold me. They seem to take a lot from multiple open world games, from Skyrim to Breath of the Wild. And is it just me, or is both the level design and the map VERY Shadow of the Colossus? I'm saying that purely as a positive.

It will be neat going into a title "Soulsborne" game on the ground floor instead of years after the initial hype.

You know what? Nanowrimo's cancelled on account of the world is stupid.
  • Options
    DarlanDarlan Registered User regular
    edited November 2021
    Wow, this is looking fantastic. I was kind of expecting it to look like more of a departure from Dark Souls, but whatever, FromSoftware just keeps knocking it out of the park.

It looks like those summons are a convenient way to get the aggro diverting bonuses of coop play without going through the hoops of summoning a human player, that might be really nice to have after the initial online community dries up years down the road.

Darlan on
  • Options
    furlionfurlion Riskbreaker Lea MondeRegistered User regular
    Just a heads up since no one has mentioned it but the physical editions are on sale now. Basic, deluxe, collectors, and premium. Pretty sad that once again they have decided to lock the nicest edition to Europe only but whatever, I still got my collectors edition.

sig.gif Gamertag: KL Retribution
    PSN:Furlion
  • Options
    EmperorSethEmperorSeth Registered User regular
    Did they confirm that character customization is back? It SEEMS like it back, but I'm not positive. That was one of the things that kept me from buying Sekiro.

You know what? Nanowrimo's cancelled on account of the world is stupid.
This discussion has been closed.