As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Marvel's The Avengers] Officially sunset as of 2023, goodbye true believers

• Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    After learning that after all this time, Spider-Man still hasn't been released yet, my armchair theory as to why this game hasn't been dragged out back and shot is because, contractually speaking, they can't. Not until the Spider-Man contract is fulfilled. Which means shortly after he's finally released... I bet that's when we'll hear the hammer click.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    RonaldoTheGypsyRonaldoTheGypsy Yes, yes Registered User regular
    Marvel Heroes was fine for GaaS

but alas they took it from us

• Options
    OptyOpty Registered User regular
    SyphonBlue wrote: »
    Yeah GaaS isn't why Avengers failed. Avengers failed because it was bad GaaS. Beyond that, it was a bad game, period. Nothing about it felt good to play.

It reeks of being a single player game that was forced into becoming a GaaS game. When you do a pivot like that instead of building from the ground up to be GaaS then it's never going to work out.

• Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    Spider-Man is apparently coming end of this month, along with the long awaited first (? maybe only?) Raid

• Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    edited November 2021
    If anyone was like me and liked marvel avengers story bits but just hated everything else, I really urge you to play guardians. It’s utterly phenomenal and exactly the kind of game they should be making instead of the gaas stuff. It deserves to be rewarded with as many people playing it as possible. It’s a treat and if you like sci-fi or marvel the story and environments are must see

Prohass on
  • Options
    VoodooVVoodooV Registered User regular
    Spider-Man is apparently coming end of this month, along with the long awaited first (? maybe only?) Raid

I finally moved on to play Miles Morales thinking that Avengers wouldn't add spiderman until next year. But I suppose this makes sense since the spiderman addition probably can't compete with any games coming out in the holidays, and Forbidden west will be dropping in February.

I told myself I would come back when Spiderman got added in, but now that I have moved on and in addition I'm playing the superior spider-man games now.... I just don't feel ultra-compelled to come back. What's my incentive? A small amount of story content and a few new skins? Another grind for challenge card tasks? Hold me back man, hold me back!

• Options
    NosfNosf Registered User regular
    They announced some other heroes, like She-Hulk coming to the game a while back. Square shitting on a western studio because they expected too much, how shocking. Please buy Crystal Dynamics and Tomb Raider, MS.

• Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    I don't think any other characters have been officially announced. There was a data-mined list of possible heroes, but nothing official. Just references in game files that aren't meant to be public.

• Options
    Playing the first couple hours of the game it seems to have implied Captain Marvel should be added since they already have a model for it and everything

• Options
    edited November 2021
    Spider-Man reveal trailer is out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VqbFIAv8T0M

There's not any gameplay. This is just a CGI trailer. Hard to know what he's actually going to play like.

My biggest takeaway from the trailer is that they're still fighting AIM. Which is boring and disappointing.

And a bonus topic, having invested so much time into Insomniac's Spider-Man and Miles Morales, the voice sounds all wrong. It was really throwing me the entire time I was watching that trailer.

Lucascraft on
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    Spider-Man reveal trailer is out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VqbFIAv8T0M

There's not any gameplay. This is just a CGI trailer. Hard to know what he's actually going to play like.

My biggest takeaway from the trailer is that they're still fighting AIM. Which is boring and disappointing.

And a bonus topic, having invested so much time into Insomniac's Spider-Man and Miles Morales, the voice sounds all wrong. It was really throwing me the entire time I was watching that trailer.

I'm guessing if you've played Insomniac's fantastic games controlling Spidey here will be a letdown, even if the controls are pretty good.

Also the all-AIM, all the time thing helped kill my interest in the game. I tapped out after the Iron Man storyline had me fighting huge waves of mooks while trying to destroy machinery in exactly the way I just did during a Hulk sidequest. Since Spidey is STILL doing the AIM thing, I figured I should go ahead and spoil myself on the bosses since I'm probably never coming back.

....that's all of them? And half of them don't even show up until the DLC? Christ, way to take advantage of the Marvel license there. Now I'm glad I stopped when I did. Couldn't even be bothered to throw in a quick bout with Batroc the Leaper or something to break up the monotony.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    Avengers has the Destiny thing of trying to expand the game without committing to modeling brand new enemies ever. Only issue with that is, Destiny started with 4 completely different enemy factions and then added a 5th before settling into only redoing the appearances and movelists of existing models. Avengers started with, generously speaking, two factions (AIM and Watchdogs). And those factions are extremely similar to begin with.

I'm grinding out a few more achievements before deleting this game from my mind for good. The end game is... very bad. Especially when you're playing without an XP boost of some kind. They should REALLY take the opportunity of the Spider-Man release to boost all XP gain, permanently. The only interesting fight my team has had in this entire period of gameplay was Monica's boss fight with lower leveled characters. There's an Enrage mechanic and an AoE move you have to dodge to avoid a party wipe, it reminded me of a brain dead Destiny Raid encounter (everything in this game is Destiny, but worse, to some degree). Of course, AI teammates basically ignored the DPS check moments, leaving our smaller team to scramble to beat Enrage. Launching a co-op brawler with arguably "functional" AI sure was a choice!

• Options
    I don't know if the Guardians of the Galaxy game is selling poorly or what, but if you're looking for a steep discount on the game it's on sale for $29.99 at Best Buy, Gamestop, and Amazon.

• Options
    I don't think GotG is a very popular Marvel property, as a general concept.

The MCU movies did very well, but that's because they have Chris Pratt, Dave Bautista, Bradley Cooper, Vin Diesel, and Zoe Saldana. It's got a cast of massively popular actors in it to carry the movie. Remove those huge stars from the equation, and I don't think people care as much. GotG is more like a "B List" of heroes. It has a niche audience in the comics, but it has never come even remotely close to the popularity of the Avengers, or Spider-Man, or Cap, or any of the "A List" heroes.

Doesn't surprise me at all that the game is not selling well, despite everyone saying how good it is. It's just not a very popular franchise.

• Options
    edited November 2021
    I don't know man the movies combined made a shitload of money

Combine the first two box office and it's a 1.5+ billion dollar franchise

I think this has more to do with how The Avengers game hurt this studio in particular

Local H Jay on
  • Options
    I don't think GotG is a very popular Marvel property, as a general concept.

The MCU movies did very well, but that's because they have Chris Pratt, Dave Bautista, Bradley Cooper, Vin Diesel, and Zoe Saldana. It's got a cast of massively popular actors in it to carry the movie. Remove those huge stars from the equation, and I don't think people care as much. GotG is more like a "B List" of heroes. It has a niche audience in the comics, but it has never come even remotely close to the popularity of the Avengers, or Spider-Man, or Cap, or any of the "A List" heroes.

Doesn't surprise me at all that the game is not selling well, despite everyone saying how good it is. It's just not a very popular franchise.

If it isn't selling (the damn thing started going on sale TWO WEEKS after release, holy shit), I wonder if the Avengers game poisoned the well. It could be easy for someone to glance at the game and assume it's more of the same. Shame, since the consensus is that this is a darn good game (assuming you're okay with just playing as Star-Lord).

• Options
    BizazedoBizazedo Registered User regular
    With regard to GotG, I think single player games are a hard-sell these days. The game looks excellent and I'll get it, but if it's not multiplayer....there's zero rush.

I am *not* saying single player games don't sell, they do, but they're not as important to get day one. I also think the advertising for this could've been better since a lot of the combat I saw looked....uninspired.

Marvel Avengers definitely poisoned the well, though.

XBL: Bizazedo
    PSN: Bizazedo
    CFN: Bizazedo (I don't think I suck, add me).
  • Options
    I don't know man the movies combined made a shitload of money

Combine the first two box office and it's a 1.5+ billion dollar franchise

I think this has more to do with how The Avengers game hurt this studio in particular

The Telltale take on GotG didn't sell well. Then again it came out when Telltale was releasing way too many games that played exactly the same and lead to their death.

• Options
    Each of Telltale games was very samey within their game catalogue. But also each game on its own merit was usually very good. They had top notch writing, even if their games all started to feel exactly the same.

But yeah. I don't think GotG as a brand is going to sell without some big name actors attached to it. The MCU moves might be a billion dollar franchise, but that's because of Chris Pratt et al, not because of the brand itself. (That's my theory anyway. Not based on facts, numbers, statistics, or anything other than my own made up bullshit).

• Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    I didn't even know there was a Guardians Telltale game

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    SyphonBlue wrote: »
    I didn't even know there was a Guardians Telltale game

Yep! It was... fine? I remember enjoying it (I dug most Telltale games in general) but damned if I can remember anything about it now. But it sold horribly (see: Telltale's death), so no surprise you didn't know about it.

Unlike a bunch of Telltale stuff that has resurfaced it's not on any digital storefronts, but you can track down the retail disk release if you're really looking for it.

• Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    edited November 2021
    I personally had no interest in Guardians of the Galaxy because I thought it another shite multiplayer GaaS thing. Only when I saw a play through at the start did I realise it wasn’t and saw how fun it looked.

Aegeri on
    The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    yeah, It's obvious that the disappointment with Avengers carried over to GoTG. I went from immediately dismissing it as a joke, to eventually hearing it was single player-only so figured I'd give it another look, only to be underwhelmed by the 1 hour of gameplay put out by a few youtubers. Not that any of it was bad, it just felt like they were playing an unfinished product and nothing seemed new. I may still get GoTG when it hits sub-20 prices, but I just have so many better games deserving of attention in my backlog right now so I just can't give enough of a crap about the game to buy it right now.

Now that Spiderman is really happening for Avengers, I know I told myself I would come back to play it, but it's going to be rough, I finally put Avengers away a month ago to play Miles Morales, so to go from the superior version to the inferior version is going to be a rough transition. Not looking forward to grinding challenge tasks again.

• Options
    Heads up: unlike the rest of the DLC, Spider-Man doesn't have any story mode at all. There's some audio files to find, but that's it.

• Options
    AspectVoidAspectVoid Registered User regular
    Everything I've heard about GotG is that the gameplay is pretty standard fare, but the characters and story are really good, and different enough from the movies that it feels like its own thing instead of simply trying to copy what James Gunn did. I'm interested in it, but I got other games I need to play first.

PSN|AspectVoid
  • Options
    edited November 2021
    IGN posted a hands-on Spiderman preview.

https://www.ign.com/articles/marvels-avengers-spiderman-hands-on-preview

Some bullet points from their article:
    • Spiderman plays pretty well in combat.
    • Mobility feels bad, mostly due to level design. I guess they ran into a lot of invisible walls and artificial barriers that slow you down.
    • No new story missions or content. It's just the character only. It is called a "Hero Event" instead of an "Operation" like Hawkeye and Kate Bishop.
    • The character is launching with 40ish skins in the game, most of them tied to the cash shop/premium hero card.
    • Release date is Nov 30.

Lucascraft on
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    Sounds about the same amount of effort they gave the rest of the game.

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    IGN posted a hands-on Spiderman preview.

https://www.ign.com/articles/marvels-avengers-spiderman-hands-on-preview

Some bullet points from their article:
    • Spiderman plays pretty well in combat.
    • Mobility feels bad, mostly due to level design. I guess they ran into a lot of invisible walls and artificial barriers that slow you down.
    • No new story missions or content. It's just the character only. It is called a "Hero Event" instead of an "Operation" like Hawkeye and Kate Bishop.
    • The character is launching with 40ish skins in the game, most of them tied to the cash shop/premium hero card.
    • Release date is Nov 30.

It sounds like the most significant barrier is an invisible ceiling.

• Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    GotG gameplay starts out a little stale, but it opens up throughout basically the entire game as you get more elements for your guns, and more abilities for each character

• Options
    WTF? no story at all? Screw this. I'm done. Uninstalling.

• Options
    CruorCruor Registered User regular
    edited November 2021
    No story for Spider-Man makes sense, since he's a platform exclusive character. Yes, no story is gonna piss people off, but having a story you can only play on Sony platforms would piss off way more people.

Or it would, if there were enough people still playing on other platforms to piss off.

Cruor on
  • Options
    People hyped themselves up for the character which at this point is kinda like... Fool me once. Or rather, fool me several times and apologize for it.

• Options
    daveNYCdaveNYC Why universe hate Waspinator? Registered User regular
    I can see them maybe not wanting to put a lot of effort into content that would only be seen by half the players, but given the state of the game this feels more like doing g the Barr minimum to satisfy a contractual requirement and then get back to updating the resume.

Shut up, Mr. Burton! You were not brought upon this world to get it!
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    I think this is why CDPR went silent after the first couple of updates. They realized they needed to fix it, and coming out piecemeal wasn't helping. This is probably going to annoy as many customers as are excited for it.

• Options
    GotG is now $25 on Amazon, with a steelbook.

• Options
    eMoandereMoander Registered User regular
    People hyped themselves up for the character which at this point is kinda like... Fool me once. Or rather, fool me several times and apologize for it.
    My new favorite is quoting Holly in B4B: Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice… fuck you SE.

Xbox: Travesty 0214 Switch: 3304-2356-9421 Honkai Star Rail: 600322115 Battlenet: Travesty #1822
  • Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Spider-Man was never going to be all that impressive when Sony's Marvel's Spider-Man is like... right there

• Options
    KyanilisKyanilis Bellevue, WARegistered User regular
    Spider-Man looks slightly better than I expected. I was honestly curious if they'd give him proper web swinging at all considering other character traversal. No, he was never gonna live up to Insomniac's version, but for the Avengers version? He looks fine. There was zero chance they were going to be able to somehow exceed Insomniac's version, or even match it, so I guess I'm not really disappointed. I figured they weren't planning to do much in the story department when they started calling it a "hero event" and to be honest I think their hands were kind of tied since he's locked to a platform. Having a full story arc would be additional fuel on the fire, if anything. A little bit of a bummer but from what I've gathered there's at least an intro and some flavor (some Spider-Man side characters will apparently show up in outposts, I've heard, along with audio clips you can gather etc).

There's no Spider-Man specific missions, but the whole thing is a pretty big QoL update, Spider-Man, plus the Klaw raid. Content-wise, it's not adding as much as say, Wakanda, but it's a pretty good update regardless and IGN just sort of glosses over:

We're finally getting earnable cosmetics back, along with new ways to get them.
    Gear is finally getting some major changes along with streamlining how upgrades work. (and ditching most of the ridiculous resources)
    Klaw raid looks like it might actually be pretty fun.

This feels like all stuff they should have tried to get into the Wakanda expansion, but as someone who still picks up the game from time to time it feels like a pretty good direction if they're able to keep going down that path.

• Options
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    Hold.gif

They'll be giving it away soon.