As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Metroid] Expecting Prime 4? TOO BAD PRIME 1 REMASTER TIME.

• Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    edited November 2021
    LJDouglas wrote: »
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    On that topic, it's 2021, I thought gaming as an industry has outgrown QTEs? They are dumb and should be excised from game development entirely.
    Yeah, I gotta agree with this. I'm actually a fan of the parry mechanic in general; it feels great against a ton of different enemies and finding the places where you can parry against bosses is also really satisfying. But the "cutscene" parries are just QTEs and I really dislike them, especially since they aren't just a bonus. You have to complete those QTEs, and it sucks.

On the other hand, the occasional cutscenes where you get to keep blasting feel really good to me. I'm fine with getting those as a reward for parrying normally.
    Wasn't a huge fan of the suddenly interactive cutscenes, game doesn't bother actually letting you know that you're supposed to keep shooting when they happen, just have to discover it by trying to shoot, and most of the time nothing will happen.

Coming from Samus Returns I just slipped right into blasting away during those animations since it was a thing in Samus Returns too, and I feel like it happens a ton more times in that game (probably because of all the metroid fights).

Man I would love Samus Returns HD on Switch.

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    edited November 2021
    that model doesn't read as super ripped to me, but still miles better than Other M. Fit, though, certainly. Other M exists to be the bar underground everything gets to fly past now I suppose.

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    Maybe jacked instead of ripped.

• Options
    these are all rather imprecise terms to be fair

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    Straight up yolked

• Options
    FuriousJodoFuriousJodo Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Swole Samus

FuriousJodo on Twitch/PSN/XBL/Whatever else
  • Options
    DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    It looks... slightly off? Maybe it's just the pose, but it's kinda like her hips don't match her thighs.

• Options
    edited November 2021
    Swole Samus

Slamus.

jungleroomx on
  • Options
    Delzhand wrote: »
    hips don't match her thighs.

Love that Shakira song

• Options
    TcheldorTcheldor Registered User regular
    Delzhand wrote: »
    It looks... slightly off? Maybe it's just the pose, but it's kinda like her hips don't match her thighs.

I assume because the model was designed to look in a certain way when she dies and never to be looked at directly.

League of Legends: Sorakanmyworld
    FFXIV: Tchel Fay
    Nintendo ID: Tortalius
    Steam: Tortalius
    Stream: twitch.tv/tortalius
  • Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    I wish we would have gotten a no-helmet Samus for the ending at least. I don't need full cheesecake but they show closeups of her visor so many times in Dread it was making me crazy what her face looks like this time around.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    I wish we would have gotten a no-helmet Samus for the ending at least. I don't need full cheesecake but they show closeups of her visor so many times in Dread it was making me crazy what her face looks like this time around.

It's somewhat disappointing that there's no difference in the ending animation at all no matter how fast you are or high your completion is.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    That's an awful lot of work for a character model you never see more than 10 pixels across for 3 seconds. I wonder if they planned on a Zero Mission style section at some point? Maybe start the game out in zero suit. That would have been different.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    you see it in the normal death animation where her suit blows off

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    homogenizedhomogenized Registered User regular
    I'm thinking that's what AbsoluteZero was referring to by "never see more than 10 pixels across for 3 seconds".

• Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    I don’t know, I saw that animation a lot.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    MNC Dover wrote: »

Pity she didn't do any Zagreus-style goofs after ten deaths or so.

• Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    I introduced my 3 year old goddaughter to this game by accident. We were supposed to play farm game (Stardew Valley) but I forgot I had suspended the game so I had to go save.

Long before I got the a save point she was demanding I let her shoot bad guys, had mastered the ability to do some simple jumping, and was on the verge of mastering "i AIM with the red LINE to shoot BADGUYS!" but alas she had to go upstairs to eat supper.

• Options
    Andy JoeAndy Joe We claim the land for the highlord! The AdirondacksRegistered User regular
    XBL: Stealth Crane PSN: ajpet12 3DS: 1160-9999-5810 NNID: StealthCrane Pokemon Scarlet Name: Carmen
  • Options
    edited November 2021
    854k in the launch month. We're over 1 million the first month, US only.

Not bad.

jungleroomx on
  • Options
    Wow, Dread beat out Prime even? Being on a shit-hot console probably doesn't hurt.

Now let's get going with Prime 4!

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    Andy JoeAndy Joe We claim the land for the highlord! The AdirondacksRegistered User regular
    Wow, Dread beat out Prime even? Being on a shit-hot console probably doesn't hurt.

Yes, software sales have been very good on Switch, even more than might expect from the install base.

Like, coming back to Metroid Prime...there are six first-party Nintendo games on Switch that have outsold the Gamecube.

XBL: Stealth Crane PSN: ajpet12 3DS: 1160-9999-5810 NNID: StealthCrane Pokemon Scarlet Name: Carmen
  • Options
    TelMarineTelMarine Registered User regular
    All i care is, do the suits consider it a success to whatever metric they set. Metroid Dread is pretty good. It has flaws and not the best game in series, but it delivers. I also like that the difficulty has ramped up, even with the EMMI parts being frustrating at times.

3ds: 4983-4935-4575
  • Options
    edited November 2021
    TelMarine wrote: »
    All i care is, do the suits consider it a success to whatever metric they set. Metroid Dread is pretty good. It has flaws and not the best game in series, but it delivers. I also like that the difficulty has ramped up, even with the EMMI parts being frustrating at times.

When have you ever known Nintendo to release actual sales numbers outside of games they consider a success? Ahead of earnings calls.

jungleroomx on
  • Options
    TelMarineTelMarine Registered User regular
    edited November 2021

When have you ever known Nintendo to release actual sales numbers outside of games they consider a success? Ahead of earnings calls.

That chart is not including digital sales though? Unless that's what you mean.

TelMarine on
    3ds: 4983-4935-4575
  • Options
    rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    This is NPD tracking physical U.S. sales, has nothing to do with what the publishers would like us to know.

• Options

That chart is not including digital sales though? Unless that's what you mean.

I dunno, Doug Bowser said it sold 854k so I assume that means both and he's happy about it.

• Options
    MMMigMMMig Registered User regular
    Just came here to say that the OP is wrong.

Carry on.

l4lGvOw.png
    Witty signature comment goes here...

wra
  • Options
    Big DookieBig Dookie Smells great! Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    Naphtali wrote: »
    Out of curiosity, how do you guys know the names for any of these things? The game doesn't tell you anything.

Also, bonus topic: I managed to beat the flying purple bug over the weekend, and then the combo pair of two jetpack guys, and then the red spear guy. I persevered and stuck with it. Now I'm fighting Puke Face Slashy Arms Monster. I've made it a good ways into the fight, but haven't had a good enough execution of mechanics yet to get it down.

I believe the boss names came from the special edition art book?

Pukey Face is named Experiment Z-57. It's a hard fight but all its moves are pretty well telegraphed at least. You can do it!

Kind of late here but I’m just catching up on the thread. Just wanted to say I think Experiment Z-57 is probably my favorite boss from the game, and maybe the whole series. It feels so damn difficult at first, but becomes so incredibly satisfying as you learn it’s many attacks and how to dodge and counter them. A+ Metroid boss, definitely ranks up there with the best.

Steam | Twitch
    Oculus: TheBigDookie | XBL: Dook | NNID: BigDookie
  • Options
    MMMig wrote: »
    Just came here to say that the OP is wrong.

Carry on.

I mean technically…
    They’ve been wrong since Fusion, right?

Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    Big Dookie wrote: »
    Out of curiosity, how do you guys know the names for any of these things? The game doesn't tell you anything.

Also, bonus topic: I managed to beat the flying purple bug over the weekend, and then the combo pair of two jetpack guys, and then the red spear guy. I persevered and stuck with it. Now I'm fighting Puke Face Slashy Arms Monster. I've made it a good ways into the fight, but haven't had a good enough execution of mechanics yet to get it down.

Pukey Face is named Experiment Z-57. It's a hard fight but all its moves are pretty well telegraphed at least. You can do it!

Kind of late here but I’m just catching up on the thread. Just wanted to say I think Experiment Z-57 is probably my favorite boss from the game, and maybe the whole series. It feels so damn difficult at first, but becomes so incredibly satisfying as you learn it’s many attacks and how to dodge and counter them. A+ Metroid boss, definitely ranks up there with the best.

I think the final boss is up there too. Once you get his patterns down you can really dismantle him. So satisfying. Z-57 is definitely the best though.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    jkylefultonjkylefulton Squid...or Kid? NNID - majpellRegistered User regular
    I hope they put Samus Returns on Switch at some point.

tOkYVT2.jpg
  • Options
    MNC Dover wrote: »

I

I think the final boss is up there too. Once you get his patterns down you can really dismantle him. So satisfying. Z-57 is definitely the best though.

The quick kill on Z-57 feels so good to land too. I wish they'd put a cinematic in for it. Headcanon:
    The impact slams its head into the fan blades for massive damage

• Options
    DrovekDrovek Registered User regular
    I hope they put Samus Returns on Switch at some point.

Or that they discount the damn thing: you can tell a lot that the price of Other M is $20 in the digital store and SR is $40 right now.

I kinda want it now that I love Dread.

steam_sig.png( < . . .
  • Options
    edited November 2021
    Finally beat it. I actually got to the last boss a week ago or so, but it was so good I just felt compelled to go through and collect as much as I could before finishing it. Initially I was thinking I’d just finish like over 50% items, but as I got more and more into it, I just kept going. First Metroid game I’ve beaten at 100%. Final time was around 14:15.

Some of those speedboost/shinespark puzzles were fucking diabolical. The game did not even come close to explaining all of the different mechanics you can accomplish with that thing. Most of them I figured out on my own, but there were probably 2-3 where I got tired of banging my head against a wall and just had to look up. Glad I did, because I would have never been able to figure some of that shit on my own. The one I remember most was where:
    You had to shinespark on one screen, carry it down to a different screen, shoot through some blocks below you, and then pause your fall in mid-air with B so you can spark into a slope. Apparently when you spark into a slope, it converts it back into a speedboost and you can keep it going. So the sequence was “Shinespark>Drop>Shoot Blocks>Spark-Boost into slope>Boost>Shinespark again>Slide>Drop>Spark-Boost into second slope>Shinespark again>Spark-Boost through speed blocks.”

The whole sequence had to be carried across like four different screens. It was fucking crazy, but also satisfying as hell when I finally nailed it. One thing I’ll give these puzzles is that, while they seem like bullshit at first, once you learn the mechanics of them consistently they can actually be a lot of fun to pull off. I think this was what kept me going to finally get 100%, where in previous games I would have just not cared.

Here’s a video of the sequence btw for those who haven’t seen it or didn’t try to complete it:

https://youtu.be/wjj2HPCma5o

They make it look easy, but anyone who has attempted it knows it was NOT easy.

In general though, I really loved this game. It was everything I could have hoped for out of a new 2D Metroid, bringing the formula into the modern era while still still somehow capturing that magic that made the previous games so special. I feel kinda bummed that this is the conclusion to the main Metroid arc, but I’m also hopeful that it’ll give them the freedom to expand out into other stories. It’s not like you actually need metroids to make a great Metroid game, as this one has clearly shown. Maybe it’s time to finally give Samus the game title.

Big Dookie on
    Steam | Twitch
  • Options

Now that I finally beat it, I heartily agree with this. I didn’t find him quite as satisfying as Z-57, but he was very close. Figuring out the counter-trick in his second form was just *chef’s kiss.*

I’m really happy with the bosses in general in Dread. Even though I liked some more than others, none of them were what I’d consider bad. Most importantly, they were fair. As long as you put the time into learning their attacks and how to counter them, even the most difficult ones eventually become trivial. Really great design and thought went into these encounters.

Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    KupiKupi Registered User regular
    Pro-tip for a little blink-and-you'll-miss-it interaction that might trip you up in the EMMI sections:
    Those mines that pop out of the floor, glow, and explode are audible to the EMMI regardless of its normal audio range, so if you let them explode it will always alert to that position. Shooting them down instead of just trucking on past can keep the EMMI off your back for a few extra seconds, which might be all you need.

My favorite musical instrument is the air-raid siren.
  • Options
    Kupi wrote: »
    Pro-tip for a little blink-and-you'll-miss-it interaction that might trip you up in the EMMI sections:
    Those mines that pop out of the floor, glow, and explode are audible to the EMMI regardless of its normal audio range, so if you let them explode it will always alert to that position. Shooting them down instead of just trucking on past can keep the EMMI off your back for a few extra seconds, which might be all you need.
    Alternatively, just melee counter when they pop up - the running melee counter smashes them instantly, it makes no noise, and gives you pickups.