As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[sysadmin] on-call schedule - Always you

• GilgaronGilgaron Registered User regular
    zagdrob wrote: »
    We have an app (that rhymes with CopenOclinica) where users are added to studies or sites (children of studies).

You have to go to the user after they are created and add a role. You choose the site / study from a drop down list. That is not sorted alphabetically either at the site or study level. And if you view a user you only see the site, not the study (unless you query the DB or view source and know parent study ids). So a user may have four of five sites for sister studies but who knows what study #5 is.

There are thousands of sites and studies. Oh and if someone is added at a study level you can only add them at a site level through the back end. But site access is restricted to certain permissions unless explicitly given even if you are an app admin.

Luckily even though I'm the SME and this is a high dollar validated 21 CFR 11 system...nobody seems to give two shits. And we are the hard ass do it right shop.

Is that one of those COTS nightmares of cobbled together acquisitions of mushed together Oracle databases? I feel like I can at least make sense of the most asinine implementations of SQL because at worst it is something they should've just done in Excel but wanted to feel like a big boy, but the COTS stuff always seems to be Oracle and just complete dogshit on the back end. Like where the vendor tries to do a data migration and fails without any clear indication they understand why.

• wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    story time.

I work for a startup. I won't go more into it than that. I will say that at the start of 2020 there were 6 employees, and as of today there are about 70. I was/am about employee number 30, starting at the beginning of this year.

our office's network is a complete disaster. It was formed in the "no one knows how this works just buy things and plug it in until everything works". So as of today our internet consists of 3 separate wifi networks run by 3 separate consumer grade wifi routers that don't talk to each other, those are plugged into dumb switches. Sometimes, they fight over DHCP, with one deciding it needs to be DHCP for all 3 wifi networks and it breaks everything.

I identified this as an issue when I started, got approvals to spend the money to fix it in April. but since it's 2021 it took 6 months to get all the equipment in to build a proper managed network with a hardware firewall, better, managed switching, and enterprise grade mesh wifi. That stuff all gets installed in 2 weeks and my great national nightmare will be (somewhat) over.

This morning, our internet was down. I was supposed to be WFH today so I was at home, so when I turned on my computer I had a message about an internet issue. So I had to go in, which was great. I eventually figured out that the internet for the building plugs into one of the 3 wifi routers, which goes into the switches. And for some reason, that wifi router was off.

In troubleshooting, we also rebooted our ISP equipment, which I then learned that we DON'T HAVE A STATIC IP ADDRESS so our public IP changed, which broke a bunch of things. so dealing with a dynamic public IP is being added to my to-do list.

it's been a day.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • ThawmusThawmus +Jackface Registered User regular
    I feel that. I've been trying to replace a bunch of our networking equipment all year. I have stuff on backorder since February.

Twitch: Thawmus83
  • DratatooDratatoo Registered User regular
    Feral wrote: »
    There should be Kobayashi Maru no-win scenarios

Only they shouldn't just be failure conditions, they should be constant reminders

Like the "seven perpendicular lines" sketch, except there's no way to make the request go away, you just keep getting pestered for it

Still related to the game:
    In the business/management portion in an earlier version of the game you could steal from the customer by disassembling their PCs and canceling their requests.

That's amazing. Just literally "You're not smart enough to have one of these, I'm taking this."

• lwt1973lwt1973 King of Thieves SyndicationRegistered User regular
    wunderbar wrote: »

In troubleshooting, we also rebooted our ISP equipment, which I then learned that we DON'T HAVE A STATIC IP ADDRESS so our public IP changed, which broke a bunch of things. so dealing with a dynamic public IP is being added to my to-do list.

it's been a day.

On a scale of 1 to WTF?!?!?! what was your reaction to finding that out?

"He's sulking in his tent like Achilles! It's the Iliad?...from Homer?! READ A BOOK!!" -Handy
    lwt1973 wrote: »

it's been a day.

On a scale of 1 to WTF?!?!?! what was your reaction to finding that out?

Honesly, after the initial "um what". I wasn't surprised at all. Remember, this is a startup, the internet would have been put in here when there were like 3 people working for the company. And we don't really have any on prem infrastructure, everything is cloud based, so for a very long time none of it would have mattered. There are dozens of stories like this, most of which is stuff I can't share.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    I remember when we upgraded our internet package through verizon fios they released our IP addressed and gave us a new one because "that's just how it works". They didn't tell me that, though, and I suspect someone fucked up royally and it wasn't supposed to actually happen like that.

The worst part is as soon as it's released there's no mechanism in place to get it back. Like not even a 1 day grace period if something fucked up, nope, just gone. They also didn't give me the new IP details either, just expected me to call up and be like hey this isn't working.

What a fucking nightmare that was to fix.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    bowen wrote: »
    I remember when we upgraded our internet package through verizon fios they released our IP addressed and gave us a new one because "that's just how it works". They didn't tell me that, though, and I suspect someone fucked up royally and it wasn't supposed to actually happen like that.

The worst part is as soon as it's released there's no mechanism in place to get it back. Like not even a 1 day grace period if something fucked up, nope, just gone. They also didn't give me the new IP details either, just expected me to call up and be like hey this isn't working.

CenturyLink almost pulled that shit on us. I made sure we got it in writing that our public IPv4 block wouldn't change.

Even then, it was such a shitshow getting it to work. The Internet "upgrade" was a new circuit, and moving the public IP block from the old circuit to the new circuit was a clusterfuck. It took multiple attempts.

And CenturyLink really wanted to do it during business hours, like it was somehow an enormous inconvenience on their end to schedule the cutover after hours.

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • lwt1973lwt1973 King of Thieves SyndicationRegistered User regular

CenturyLink almost pulled that shit on us. I made sure we got it in writing that our public IPv4 block wouldn't change.

Even then, it was such a shitshow getting it to work. The Internet "upgrade" was a new circuit, and moving the public IP block from the old circuit to the new circuit was a clusterfuck. It took multiple attempts.

And CenturyLink really wanted to do it during business hours, like it was somehow an enormous inconvenience on their end to schedule the cutover after hours.

I had to deal with a city that runs and operates the fiber and it is much easier to talk/explain/arrange with them then it was with any commercial ISP.

"He's sulking in his tent like Achilles! It's the Iliad?...from Homer?! READ A BOOK!!" -Handy
    I just spent most of my day arguing between 3 different people on whether it's okay to order a cheap webcam and cheap microphone for a workstation so that said workstation can be used for zoom meetings with vendors.

We have absolutely spent way more money in labor on this shit than they originally cost.

And of course it's always the same guy offering resistance to WFH and wanting people to get back into the office where he can see them, and giving blank stares when we can't hire people because they want to WFH.

• FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    we are gung-ho on WFH, and we were before the pandemic started

the bad news is why. we have a lot of employees who complain that they can't live in Seattle on the salaries we offer

so instead of raising salaries, we started offering WFH a few years ago

because hey now you can live 50 miles away, rent is cheaper there!

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

I just had to walk our new systems administrator through how to map a shared drive in Windows.

anyway, today i spent 4 hours coaching this person on how to create a VM in VMware

from a template

where i'd already listed the exact specifications in an email to him

and after we were done, I counted 6 mistakes

for example, he said he added the VM to the domain. he had done no such thing. in fact, it still had the Windows default machine name

he used the wrong subnet mask in IPv4 settings

and a few other things

It's wild how salaries for IT and Software are still pretty low. I'm seeing tons of job posts sub 6 figures. Which... great I guess but yeah no one's working in LA or NYC for 65-95k.

The minimum living wage is nearly $25 an hour so you better be doing better than $65k a year. I've also come to find out that WFH on a lot of these jobs means I'm going to be double taxed. So that means I need an additional 10% over my current salary to account for that nonsense unless these companies have an office in NYS.

WFH being an excuse to keep salaries low isn't going to fly in this field for very long I imagine.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    The minimum salary on classic IT is almost trending downward as things are automated and entry level labor is easier to find. And I get the sense mid level work might be kept low by how many low skill workers move into it from entry.

Specialization still pays quite well but yeah, often it doesn't jive with cost of living in the regions the jobs are.

Full remote terrifies me though as it makes it easier and easier to justify offshoring.

What is this I don't even.
    It's wild how salaries for IT and Software are still pretty low. I'm seeing tons of job posts sub 6 figures. Which... great I guess but yeah no one's working in LA or NYC for 65-95k.

The minimum living wage is nearly $25 an hour so you better be doing better than $65k a year. I've also come to find out that WFH on a lot of these jobs means I'm going to be double taxed. So that means I need an additional 10% over my current salary to account for that nonsense unless these companies have an office in NYS.

WFH being an excuse to keep salaries low isn't going to fly in this field for very long I imagine.

WAT?

Thawmus wrote: »

WAT?

So unless the business has an office in your state, you have to file non resident for where the business exists (and pays state income tax on it) and the state in which you live. Resident and nonresident. Unless the state has a reciprocity agreement, you'll pay income tax in both states, but generally those only exist in areas where people do this regularly. NYC with NJ and CT, and the DC area.

It seems silly that this is a thing and yet they can't seem to tax Bezos.

I almost wonder if some are going to get around this by "establishing an office" with a either your address or a virtual address from one of those companies that charges like $20 a month to get around this.

• twmjrtwmjr Registered User regular

WAT?

So unless the business has an office in your state, you have to file non resident for where the business exists (and pays state income tax on it) and the state in which you live. Resident and nonresident. Unless the state has a reciprocity agreement, you'll pay income tax in both states, but generally those only exist in areas where people do this regularly. NYC with NJ and CT, and the DC area.

I almost wonder if some are going to get around this by "establishing an office" with a either your address or a virtual address from one of those companies that charges like $20 a month to get around this.

I believe this is only true for a subset of states -- an article I found lists 7 (including NY, NJ, PA), and mostly seem to be in the northeast-ish. I work from home permanently but only pay taxes to my state because my company is HQed in Texas which doesn't demand that I pay taxes to them simply because the HQ is there.

twmjr wrote: »

WAT?

I believe this is only true for a subset of states -- an article I found lists 7 (including NY, NJ, PA), and mostly seem to be in the northeast-ish. I work from home permanently but only pay taxes to my state because my company is HQed in Texas which doesn't demand that I pay taxes to them simply because the HQ is there.

There's no state income tax in Texas.

edited November 2021
    If the business was in Cali and you WFH and lived in Texas, Cali would take it's share of your taxes and since no reciprocity agreement exists between the two, you are boned.

https://www.thebalance.com/state-with-reciprocal-agreements-3193329
    State			Reciprocity States
    Arizona			California, Indiana, Oregon, Virginia
    Illinois		Iowa, Kentucky, Michigan, Wisconsin
    Indiana			Kentucky, Michigan, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Wisconsin
    Iowa			Illinois
    Kentucky		Illinois, Indiana, Michigan, Ohio, Virginia, West Virginia, Wisconsin
    Maryland		Pennsylvania, Virginia, Washington, D.C., West Virginia
    Michigan		Illinois, Indiana, Kentucky, Minnesota, Ohio, Wisconsin
    Minnesota		Michigan, North Dakota
    Montana 		North Dakota
    New Jersey		Pennsylvania*
    North Dakota		Minnesota, Montana
    Ohio			Indiana, Kentucky, Michigan, Pennsylvania, West Virginia
    Pennsylvania		Indiana, Maryland, New Jersey, Ohio, Virginia, West Virginia
    Virginia		Kentucky, Maryland, Pennsylvania, Washington, D.C., West Virginia
    Washington, D.C.	Maryland, Virginia
    West Virginia		Kentucky, Maryland, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Virginia
    Wisconsin		Illinois, Indiana, Kentucky, Michigan

Sextuple edit: These are the states where you won't have to pay double income tax. Anything not listed you will, unless the state in particular has no income tax at all anyways.

bowen on
  • twmjrtwmjr Registered User regular
    If the business was in Cali and you WFH and lived in Texas, Cali would take it's share of your taxes and since no reciprocity agreement exists between the two, you are boned.

https://www.thebalance.com/state-with-reciprocal-agreements-3193329
    State			Reciprocity States
    Arizona			California, Indiana, Oregon, Virginia
    Illinois		Iowa, Kentucky, Michigan, Wisconsin
    Indiana			Kentucky, Michigan, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Wisconsin
    Iowa			Illinois
    Kentucky		Illinois, Indiana, Michigan, Ohio, Virginia, West Virginia, Wisconsin
    Maryland		Pennsylvania, Virginia, Washington, D.C., West Virginia
    Michigan		Illinois, Indiana, Kentucky, Minnesota, Ohio, Wisconsin
    Minnesota		Michigan, North Dakota
    Montana 		North Dakota
    New Jersey		Pennsylvania*
    North Dakota		Minnesota, Montana
    Ohio			Indiana, Kentucky, Michigan, Pennsylvania, West Virginia
    Pennsylvania		Indiana, Maryland, New Jersey, Ohio, Virginia, West Virginia
    Virginia		Kentucky, Maryland, Pennsylvania, Washington, D.C., West Virginia
    Washington, D.C.	Maryland, Virginia
    West Virginia		Kentucky, Maryland, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Virginia
    Wisconsin		Illinois, Indiana, Kentucky, Michigan

Sextuple edit: These are the states where you won't have to pay double income tax. Anything not listed you will, unless the state in particular has no income tax at all anyways.

I don't think that's quite right -- that is focused explicitly on living in one state and working in another. Remote work is technically not this since you are living and working in one state, but your company may happen to be headquartered in another. There's a limited number of states where this is a problem -- see this article for an explanation:

https://www.vox.com/recode/22356628/working-remotely-state-taxes-pandemic

edited November 2021
    Yeah that's what I'm saying, it's technically a legal gray area, but on the safe side you should absolutely take into account paying that extra 3-10%. (I'm in NYS which means I'm fucked)

bowen on
  • MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular

the bad news is why. we have a lot of employees who complain that they can't live in Seattle on the salaries we offer

Hey, Bremerton is beautiful this time of year

• AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    Mugsley wrote: »

There's a whole song about why you should move there that totally isn't sarcastic!

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular
    Aioua wrote: »
    Mugsley wrote: »

There's a whole song about why you should move there that totally isn't sarcastic!

Did Marysville get expensive like Lynnwood and Everett?

• FeldornFeldorn Mediocre Registered User regular
    Darkewolfe wrote: »
    The minimum salary on classic IT is almost trending downward as things are automated and entry level labor is easier to find. And I get the sense mid level work might be kept low by how many low skill workers move into it from entry.

It’s still hard to find good entry level candidates. A lot of people don’t seem interested or capable of learning technical skills. Even if you have an environment that will nurture and grow them.

That automation is usually only possible when you have the specialists that can create and maintain one.

• zagdrobzagdrob Registered User regular
    Feldorn wrote: »

It’s still hard to find good entry level candidates. A lot of people don’t seem interested or capable of learning technical skills. Even if you have an environment that will nurture and grow them.

That automation is usually only possible when you have the specialists that can create and maintain one.

Technical skills like anyone mid to high level technical as it exists now are just not trained and virtually non-existent in anyone coming up.

There is a low level understanding - the web page 'view source' where you can mostly understand what it is trying to do right now or get the class names and IDs to do deeper digging. The log / error reading and being able to relate it back to ini or configuration files.

That is just so completely obfuscated for almost anyone who is coming up it might as well be a dead language. The people who are able to do it are seen as almost wizards.

It's like if someone told one of us dead cold to talk to an IBM AS/400 mainframe or go debug enterprise COBOL.

• BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    zagdrob wrote: »
    Feldorn wrote: »

It's like if someone told one of us dead cold to talk to an IBM AS/400 mainframe or go debug enterprise COBOL.

I can do less academic/physics focused FORTRAN if they need it.

No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
    edited November 2021
    it happened.

On Saturday all of the old dumb switching and consumer grade wifi points in the building were ripped out. I now have a Fortigate F100 and a Juniper switching system with POE wifi access points, and a proper network that I have full control over.

Sure a bunch of crap was broken today but at least I had the ability/capability of fixing it instead of going "well... which consumer grade Asus router is screwing everything up today?"

wunderbar on
    it happened.

On Saturday all of the old dumb switching and consumer grade wifi points in the building were ripped out. I now have a Fortigate F100D and a Juniper switching system with POE wifi access points, and a proper network that I have full control over.

Sure a bunch of crap was broken today but at least I had the ability/capability of fixing it instead of going "well... which consumer grade Asus router is screwing everything up today?"

Nice! THe 100D is a fantastic security appliance, even if it is a little older. It'll be a MASSIVE upgrade from an Asus wifi router. Make sure you keep the UTM subscription up. If you let it lapse, you don't get the full year when you renew.

That_Guy wrote: »
    it happened.

On Saturday all of the old dumb switching and consumer grade wifi points in the building were ripped out. I now have a Fortigate F100D and a Juniper switching system with POE wifi access points, and a proper network that I have full control over.

Nice! THe 100D is a fantastic security appliance, even if it is a little older. It'll be a MASSIVE upgrade from an Asus wifi router. Make sure you keep the UTM subscription up. If you let it lapse, you don't get the full year when you renew.

That was a typo, it's the 100F. Just the last time I used a fortigate product it was a 100D so that was a bit of muscle memory.

it happened.

That was a typo, it's the 100F. Just the last time I used a fortigate product it was a 100D so that was a bit of muscle memory.

Even better. The 100F has their new ASIC SOC.

• InfidelInfidel Heretic Registered User regular
    Speaking of Fortigates, I have 100D x2 with an IPSec VPN and a weird problem I haven't been able to troubleshoot anywhere productive or to google. Maybe someone here has some advice?

For simplicity, two VM hosts between each Fortigate at each site, .1.1 and .1.2 at site A and .2.1 and .2.2 at site B.

.1.1 and .1.2 can ping all four. But .2.1 and .2.2 can only ping each other and .1.1, while .1.2 never responds. Ping doesn't go unreachable (routes look fine), IPSec diag is showing it trying to use the existing session, it never times out, it just hangs on ping with no output.

If I restart a Fortigate it will work again, but I ran into this and couldn't fix without a restart last week and it has since stopped working again yesterday.

My Fortifu isn't like super strong so maybe someone knows a better way to figure out what the hell it's doing. A flow trace doesn't look weird to me (and that seems to stop at "here was the connection, the route and protocols needed, the policy applied" which look normal with what I can get).

OrokosPA.png
  • InfidelInfidel Heretic Registered User regular
    What do you have the IPsec tunnel timeout set to?

Uh keepalive frequency 10, key lifetime 86400 phase 1 / 43200 phase 2?

The phase 2 selector is setup at a /16 for these servers so it's weird that one host works but the adjacent one doesn't... which is making me think this probably isn't Fortigate stuff at all really? Hmmmm. Maybe it's just the host networking being fubar? But then a little weird that a Fortigate reboot helps.

OrokosPA.png
    Infidel wrote: »
    What do you have the IPsec tunnel timeout set to?

Uh keepalive frequency 10, key lifetime 86400 phase 1 / 43200 phase 2?

The phase 2 selector is setup at a /16 for these servers so it's weird that one host works but the adjacent one doesn't... which is making me think this probably isn't Fortigate stuff at all really? Hmmmm. Maybe it's just the host networking being fubar? But then a little weird that a Fortigate reboot helps.

Does the link status actually show "up" on both ends of the tunnel? I'm also wondering if you are using Forticloud and/or if you can access both firewalls remotely via wan when you're having the vpn traffic issue. I'm no expert but I'm happy to compare your settings to mine. I may be able to ping some experts on my team that can answer specific questions.