As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Recommend a Laundry Hamper?

AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened OptimistThe Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
Can anyone recommend an easily accessible hamper that actually helps with clothes and I can get from someplace that isn't The Container Store or something? Amazon.. could count, I guess.

I have a very strong habit of just taking off my clothes and leaving them wherever. I know I shouldn't, but it's... easier for me.

What I really want are hampers for the types of clothes I wash, which is typically: Undergarments, normal clothes, Jeans, and red shirts. I have a couple clothes baskets, but I usually use them for pulling out clothing more than collecting them. And having 4 washing piles means that most 3-bin hampers just.. don't work?

My dream would be one of those metal hampers with bags that hang from the top, that allow you to separate out your clothing, and then you pick them up and just dump the individual bags into the washing machine. But I've never seen one I really like.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch

• Options
    IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    Are you looking for stylish, or functional? Just searching for 4-bin hampers turns up results for me, are you looking for first hand reviews?

• Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    edited November 2021
    Yeah. I was mostly looking for first-hand reviews, for things that work for people and/or won't disintegrate.

Athenor on
    He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular
    The wife and I use a single hamper and single laundry basket for our clothing, but we have a washer/dryer in our house. We just dump dirty clothes into the hamper as used. Then, when it's time to do laundry (weekend), we dump the hamper into the basket and transport downstairs to the laundry machines. Then we dump the dirty laundry on the floor and sort into our desired piles (usually dark, light, blue-green, and red-orange-brown). As we wash, we fold and put back into the basket to go upstairs.

The basket lives on the washing machine when not in use.

• Options
    IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    We too sort just before laundering, but we have two baskets in the bedroom, where one contains really dirty clothes, and the other contains things that may be re-worn (jeans and shorts). When both basket are full, its time to wash, though that threshold is rarely met now, as I wash once a week since we have our own machines.

When we weren't laundering in unit, my preferred method was still sorting right before washing, but I had one basket for filling, and then 3 pop up baskets that got stored flat in the closet and pulled out before going to the laundromat.

Unfortunately I never met a particularly aesthetic laundry basket that didn't feel a bit over priced for what you were getting. I have one with a handle and wheels and the utility of moving the clothes is my priority. I feel like you could make a custom system out of pvc pipe and large canvas sacks, as that would be super light and movable still.

• Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    This maybe?

I don't have that specific product but I bought a single bin on wheels from them almost four years ago and haven't had any problems with it at all.

• Options
    finalflight89finalflight89 Registered User regular
    I have this one and while I don't wheel it around it has treated me well over the past two years. Easy to lift the bags out and transport around, and they hold a lot at a time.

• Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Thanks everyone. :) Looking at the last few examples, it certainly feels like they are all coming out of the same factory, but honestly how many variations can there be? This was kind of a spur of the moment thread, so I do appreciate the advice.

• Options
    SixSix Caches Tweets in the mainframe cyberhex Registered User regular
    I have one of these and it’s great:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07HMC9S5P/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_NS5597EVA7QGTGN1HZ43

Light, let’s me separate regular and delicate (which is how I organize laundry for the most part), and if you wanted, each side comes out as a separate bag. I’ve had it for a few years and it’s held up.

can you feel the struggle within?