As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Penny Arcade - Comic - The Metagrift

DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
edited November 2021 in The Penny Arcade Hub
imagePenny Arcade - Comic - The Metagrift

Videogaming-related online strip by Mike Krahulik and Jerry Holkins. Includes news and commentary.

Read the full story here

Unknown User on

• OctoberRavenOctoberRaven Plays fighting games for the story Skyeline Hotel Apartment 4ARegistered User regular
    I don't know who Hansen Kay is, but I imagine he's one of those types whose personality is solely based on internet scam things like crypto and NFTs.

Currently Most Hype For: VTMB2, Tiny Tina's Wonderlands, Alan Wake 2 (Wake Harder)Currently Playin: Guilty Gear XX AC+R, Gat Out Of Hell
  • KaitensatsumaKaitensatsuma Registered User regular
    Wait, how did people think grifting confidence men who charge $100 a head to fill a hotel conference seating - or alternatively free seats but $100 DVDs and Booksets - make their money?

• AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    Wait, how did people think grifting confidence men who charge $100 a head to fill a hotel conference seating - or alternatively free seats but $100 DVDs and Booksets - make their money?

They had no idea, that's why they went to his talk in a hotel conference room and bought his DVDs and booksets.

• Anon von ZilchAnon von Zilch Registered User regular
    Not sure if real person or product of Mike's and Jerry's fevered imaginations, but I want to suplex him into a toilet.

• doompookydoompooky Wild (Let's Draw A) Horses Couldn't Drag Me AwayRegistered User regular
    Psh, you nerds are still using dollars? I'm moving all my wealth to tokenized reddit karma ASAP. I'm gonna be the fire room

we7ek91hy97o.png
  • MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    doompooky wrote: »
    Psh, you nerds are still using dollars? I'm moving all my wealth to tokenized reddit karma ASAP. I'm gonna be the fire room

I'm sure that will be fine.

• V1mV1m Registered User regular
    Not sure if real person or product of Mike's and Jerry's fevered imaginations, but I want to suplex him into a toilet.

All I could find was a Kay Hansen who, I am reasonably confident, could fold you six times and just take your money if she wanted it.

• TheSchaefTheSchaef Registered User regular
    He looks like if Archie Bunker dressed up like Tim Pool and held a low-key Travis Scott concert.

• CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    Someone on the webcomics thread seems to think it's the weirdo being discussed in this video, named Gary Vee:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=03dfODat4l4

For some reason I can't find the short being discussed in the above youtube, but if you don't want to watch it it's just Gary Vee saying he swallows every piece of gum he takes into his mouth because of "efficiency"

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • dennisdennis aka bingley Registered User regular
    Cambiata wrote: »
    Someone on the webcomics thread seems to think it's the weirdo being discussed in this video, named Gary Vee:

For some reason I can't find the short being discussed in the above youtube, but if you don't want to watch it it's just Gary Vee saying he swallows every piece of gum he takes into his mouth because of "efficiency"

The most confusing thing here is that the guy who is making fun of Gary Vee is the one who is dressed like the guy in the comic.

• CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    edited November 2021
    dennis wrote: »

The most confusing thing here is that the guy who is making fun of Gary Vee is the one who is dressed like the guy in the comic.

This confused me also but I think it's just that the youths tend to dress this way and Gary Vee also dresses this way to show he is hip with the youths.

Here's an actual picture of him dressing this way:

an20wqcfoows.jpg

Edit: I was hoping Tycho's post would provide more context and it does in a general way but doesn't point to the specific grifter in question. Still I think this grifter is as good as any. HIs description of this breed of grifter is a good one.

Cambiata on
    "If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Kane Red RobeKane Red Robe Master of Magic ArcanusRegistered User regular
    That post is one of the one's that reminds me that Jerry can Write though.

• MercadeMercade Registered User regular
    Almost certainly a take on Gary Vee, who has famously made a great living selling nothing but a stew of buzzwords to those dumb enough to pay for it.

Switch: SW-1909-0466-9585
  • ozpomozpom Registered User new member
    That post makes me think that Jerry is Not Okay. Who hurt you, Jerry?

• dave1974dave1974 Registered User new member
    Never seen the distaff side, eh?

I guess Gwenyth "Goop" Paltrow or any of the Kardashian/Jenner tribe don't qualify because.....????

• Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    dave1974 wrote: »

I guess Gwenyth "Goop" Paltrow or any of the Kardashian/Jenner tribe don't qualify because.....????
    It's not quite an analog because they are marketing to different deficiencies and audiences (whereas the business bro grifters target vulnerable young men, the wellness grifters target people with health issues), but that was the first thing my brain jumped to as well. There absolutely is a "wellness" space that has both men and women in it who shill as "gurus" to offer you better life, sex, health, etc. in the form of shitty rebranded products. Jerry is probably just speaking from personal experience, because you have to have a friend or family member who is caught on the Herbalife or Goop train to see it up close.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • oh3fiftyoneoh3fiftyone Registered User regular
    dave1974 wrote: »

I mean, they mentioned LuLaRoe in a comic like a month ago. I’d think that qualified.

• PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    This comic seems directed to the NFT male grifting set that Lularose isn't. Like these guys loop in suckers on the latest crypto grift, than the Girl Boss facebook grift.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
    All that aside, what can you tell me about these Tiny Classified Ads?

Preacher wrote: »
    This comic seems directed to the NFT male grifting set that Lularose isn't. Like these guys loop in suckers on the latest crypto grift, than the Girl Boss facebook grift.

Yeah, but we’re responding to a comment Jerry makes in the blog post about not having “seen the distaff side” of this phenomenon. I’m saying that he not only has, he’s commented on it.

Yeah, but we’re responding to a comment Jerry makes in the blog post about not having “seen the distaff side” of this phenomenon. I’m saying that he not only has, he’s commented on it.

Not "distaff side," "distaff manifestation." Specifically, a distaff manifestation of this grift. LuLaRoe is a different type of grift.

• doompookydoompooky Wild (Let's Draw A) Horses Couldn't Drag Me AwayRegistered User regular
    I think we'd all be making a mistake if we didn't keep in mind, when talking about fathers, fathering and father-fallout, Jerry Holkins is going to choose his words with no small degree of care. This is a guy who made me cry talking about bugs in a birdhouse

we7ek91hy97o.png
  • LtPowersLtPowers Registered User regular
    I've said it before -- if people shilling get-rich schemes actually believed in their techniques, they wouldn't need to sell books and give paid talks to earn money.

That said, I'm not at all familiar with the specific type depicted in the comment, and I kind of resent Tycho's implication that I should be. =)

Powers &8^]

• DirtyDirty Registered User regular
    This confused me also but I think it's just that the youths tend to dress this way and Gary Vee also dresses this way to show he is hip with the youths.

As an older guy who still wears hoodies when it's cold, and beanies when it's colder, I feel personally attacked.

Now where did I leave my skateboard.

• zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    I will tell you all how to be millionaires, but your going to be grumpy about it.
    Get Lucky
    Be born a millionaire
    40 years of scrupulous investment into a 401k (low fee index funds preferably. Pretty much from the time you are 20 (when you can't really afford too) maximizing any employer matching

Not "distaff side," "distaff manifestation." Specifically, a distaff manifestation of this grift. LuLaRoe is a different type of grift.

Yeah, I may not be giving Jerry his due especially when I mistake a forum post’s wording for his. I do think that MLMs target a related set of impulses, though.

zepherin wrote: »
    I will tell you all how to be millionaires, but your going to be grumpy about it.
    Get Lucky
    Be born a millionaire
    40 years of scrupulous investment into a 401k (low fee index funds preferably. Pretty much from the time you are 20 (when you can't really afford too) maximizing any employer matching

In addition to all that:
    Even when you've done that last thing, realize that being a millionaire that way only means you won't have to eat cat food when you get old. That money isn't going to be spent on anything fun anytime soon.

• RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    Does marrying rich count as getting lucky?

As far as Jerry's "distaff manifestation", its presented as a truism and that says to me that Jerry just never noticed the people not directing their grift at him. Which I get, we're all in some ways blinded to experiences not our own, and Penny Arcade is not known for communicating about the world outside of its creators' distinct experiences. But it does irk a bit when the writing is clearly trying to communicate something of value and it just has this ignorant (and unwarranted) declaration casting a shadow over the rest of it. It detracts from the value

Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
    Ringo wrote: »
    Does marrying rich count as getting lucky?

As far as Jerry's "distaff manifestation", its presented as a truism and that says to me that Jerry just never noticed the people not directing their grift at him. Which I get, we're all in some ways blinded to experiences not our own, and Penny Arcade is not known for communicating about the world outside of its creators' distinct experiences. But it does irk a bit when the writing is clearly trying to communicate something of value and it just has this ignorant (and unwarranted) declaration casting a shadow over the rest of it. It detracts from the value

Again, though, he's talking about this particular kind of grift. All the examples that have been given do not appear to be this particular genre, and there are so many instances in this genre.

If you feel there are, please give examples.

If you spend a lot of time on social media or moving throughout the world eventually you will discover that there is a class of men - I've never once seen a distaff manifestation of it - who has an almost instinctive ability to identify and manipulate other men with distant, cruel, or useless fathers

Would the distaff manifestation be women manipulating men with "distant, cruel, or useless fathers". Or perhaps women who manipulate men with "distant, cruel, useless mothers". Or women manipulating women in those same forms? Preying upon insecurity (real or imagined) is perhaps the starting place of all manipulation, and is available to people of any gender. Insecurities stemming from poor parenting aren't exactly in short supply either, as childhood trauma is often an unnoticed behavioral key to our actions as adults. Jerry states he hasn't ever seen such manipulations performed by women. And the only way that's true is if Jerry's experience of things is limited or he didn't recognize what he saw when he saw it.

Which, again, undercuts what he has to say in the next sentence:
    Obviously, parenting is quite a lossy form of data transfer - but the only way to protect your children from these men is to ensure that they never need what these warlocks purport to offer. It's probably going to require that you become much, much better than you are.

I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
    Jerry states he hasn't ever seen such manipulations performed by women. And the only way that's true is if Jerry's experience of things is limited or he didn't recognize what he saw when he saw it.

Again, please give examples to these distaff grifters that you feel are the equivalent of the Gary Vee type of grifter. That will really cut through a lot of fluffy argumentation.

• MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    edited November 2021
    All I know is 'distaff' sounds like a crude retort by a wizard.

Lick this
    This what?
    Distaff!

MichaelLC on
  • YoungFreyYoungFrey Registered User regular
    MichaelLC wrote: »
    All I know is 'distaff' sounds like a crude retort by a wizard.

Lick this
    This what?
    Distaff!

Surely a crude retort is more likely used by an alchemist.
    But I will admit I know of one magic user that employs a distaff.

• EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    You know, I don't think I ever asked anyone about Loom.

Jerry states he hasn't ever seen such manipulations performed by women. And the only way that's true is if Jerry's experience of things is limited or he didn't recognize what he saw when he saw it.

Again, please give examples to these distaff grifters that you feel are the equivalent of the Gary Vee type of grifter. That will really cut through a lot of fluffy argumentation.

I don't even know what a Gary Vee type of grifter is? He swallows gum for efficiency, apparently. Like all the things Jerry lists in his post are things loads of the Seminar set of grifters incorporate, except maybe crypto. Nope, I checked youtube, women do these crypto seminars too. Annd I have poisoned my search results forever. Sigh.

I honestly don't know what you're asking for. Women grift too. To believe they don't is naive at best. That's my point. If I have one

Edcrab's Exigency RPG
    edited November 2021

I don't even know what a Gary Vee type of grifter is? He swallows gum for efficiency, apparently. Like all the things Jerry lists in his post are things loads of the Seminar set of grifters incorporate, except maybe crypto. Nope, I checked youtube, women do these crypto seminars too. Annd I have poisoned my search results forever. Sigh.

I honestly don't know what you're asking for. Women grift too. To believe they don't is naive at best. That's my point. If I have one

You said Jerry making an ignorant declaration that there weren't female grifters using the same tactics against female victims as there are of this type. Did I get that wrong?

It seems weird that you're saying Jerry is making an ignorant declaration, when you're ignorant of the tactics used by this sort of grifter. How can you judge that he's wrong?

Edit: One thing I think you're getting hung up on is what they're selling. It's not that, it's how they're selling it.

dennis on
  • zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    Are folks arguing that women don’t scam in the same way men do?

I would say Elizabeth Holmes is a stark contrast to that sentiment.

But scammers lean into cultural stereotypes. And investment fraud (which is the leading type of fraud is perpetrated by Men over women about 70/30 (numbers get a bit fuzzy). Romance scams the numbers seam to be reversed.

But under reporting is very common, and so good statistics are not readily available.

Enlong wrote: »
    You know, I don't think I ever asked anyone about Loom.

You mean the latest masterpiece of fantasy storytelling from Lucasfilm's™ Brian Moriarty™? Why it's an extraordinary adventure with an interface of magic, stunning, high-resolution, 3D landscapes, sophisticated score and musical effects. Not to mention the detailed animation and special effects, elegant point 'n' click control of characters, objects, and magic spells. Beat the rush! Go out and buy Loom™ today!

You said Jerry making an ignorant declaration that there weren't female grifters using the same tactics against female victims as there are of this type. Did I get that wrong?

It seems weird that you're saying Jerry is making an ignorant declaration, when you're ignorant of the tactics used by this sort of grifter. How can you judge that he's wrong?

Edit: One thing I think you're getting hung up on is what they're selling. It's not that, it's how they're selling it.

I assume the how is by preying on the insecurities left in the wake of poor parenting, which I already addressed. Clearly I don't understand what it is that you and Jerry believe is unique to only the Gary Vee's of the world. And not in a "prove to me" kind of way, I sincerely see nothing in what Jerry wrote or what has been said in this thread that isn't part and parcel to grifting as a whole, much less a certain subset of this. So unless I can begin to understand what sets Jerry's definition apart (and I currently do not), then my opinion is that Jerry is wrong in defining this form of grift as "male only"

Edcrab's Exigency RPG
    zepherin wrote: »
    Are folks arguing that women don’t scam in the same way men do?

No. No no no no no. Sorry, it's just getting frustrating saying the same thing repeatedly. The whole point Jerry made (that has been disputed) was in the approach used by the grifter.

I assume the how is by preying on the insecurities left in the wake of poor parenting, which I already addressed.

You addressed it by making an unsupported assertion. You didn't cite a single person who is a female grifter that preys on the insecurities left in the wake of poor parenting. Now, Jerry didn't either, and it's totally valid to disagree with him. He might be wrong! But to call him ignorant when you can't even point to a single example, and aren't even familiar with the male example in question seems to be going out on a limb.