As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The [Elden Ring] Has Shattered (CLOSED SPOILERS)

• Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    Did they confirm that character customization is back? It SEEMS like it back, but I'm not positive. That was one of the things that kept me from buying Sekiro.

They did confirm that you can create your character. I don't think they have talked about how in-depth it is, so for now I assume Dark Souls levels. Which is fine enough for me. More is always better though.

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    edited November 2021
    Spoilering the following image only because of people avoiding media until release, but it's a nice color comparison and really shows the art direction
    fz37bal50p1c.jpg

jungleroomx on
  • Options
    KarlKarl Registered User regular
    edited November 2021
    Here are the five class types you can play as in Elden Ring

SPOILERS OBVS

However I'm not sure if these are the 5 classes just for the closed network test or the total number of classes at launch.

I'm also assuming this will do a dark souls and basically let you customize your character based on stats/gear as the game progresses.

Karl on
  • Options
    ALSO

Elden Ring has a 4k "graphic mode" and 60fps "performance mode" on PS5 and Xbox Series X and S

I have a series S and a half decent PC so basically I'll wait for the DF review/system requirements to see which game is going to give me that sweet 1080p60 I crave.

• Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Karl wrote: »
    Here are the five class types you can play as in Elden Ring

SPOILERS OBVS

However I'm not sure if these are the 5 classes just for the closed network test or the total number of classes at launch.

I'm also assuming this will do a dark souls and basically let you customize your character based on stats/gear as the game progresses.

Yea those are almost certainly just the network test options. The gear variance makes that clear.

But otherwise yea, it's gonna be like the other games where starting class is just starting regardless. You build how you want from there.

• Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    yeah network test classes aren't necessarily lining up with the actual starters

the bloodborne alpha test had kirkhammer guy, saw cleaver guy, and blade of mercy guy

it's likely to just show off a nice spread of character archetypes

• Options
    ZavianZavian universal peace sounds better than forever war Registered User regular
  • Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    RTX? In a From game?

• Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    I'm gonna do the sacrilegious thing and play this sucker in FIDELITY MODE!

Give me my pretties!

• Options
    urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    I'm gonna do the sacrilegious thing and play this sucker in FIDELITY MODE!

Give me my pretties!

30FPS? You're a madman. You're crazy!

• Options
    I'm basically a psychopath. I know.

(sadly there are definitely places where people would actually say that non-jokingly these days lol)

• Options
    ED!ED! Registered User regular
    Looks like streamers and media got access to Network Test (or some version of it early) and there are now preview videos out there on a wide range of systems (last-gen and PC are the ones I've seen so far). The HUD looks good (if you ask me); clearly Dark Souls but a bit different. PS4 gameplay below (1080P locked 30 with the usual FS frametime issues):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oEypd23I0pQ

"Get the hell out of me" - [ex]girlfriend
  • Options
    All my thoughts of maybe using magic are out the window.

The weapon skills look cool as hell now.

Like there are some crazy ones that are basically magic but without the need to equip a lame staff.

Big swords are back on the menu!

• Options
    CruorCruor Registered User regular
    I hope there's a weapon skill that lets hammers cause volcanic eruptions of fire. My go to in these games is always the biggest, smashiest weapon possible and if it can also burn fools I'm even more down.

• Options
    mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    As someone who has only played Bloodborne, but is obsessed with it, I am very excited to find whatever the fastest, most serrated, whippiest cleaver and fuck everything up.

PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • Options
    edited November 2021
    And for all you folks that like using magic sticks, the magic is actually supposed to be VERY VERY good useful and cool. So there's that! Magic is not only viable but seemingly one of the stronger options.

edit: oh man so much cool new information. You can upgrade your weapon separate from the scaling aspect. So you don't have to worry about sending your weapon down a path you change your mind on or are uncertain of. Just upgrade away and the base weapon is upgraded by it's standard stats and then you can add and swap around whether it gets quality/magic/whatever scaling based on the ash you add to it.

Gonna be so fun playing around with all this.

DemonStacey on
  • Options
    Cruor wrote: »
    I hope there's a weapon skill that lets hammers cause volcanic eruptions of fire. My go to in these games is always the biggest, smashiest weapon possible and if it can also burn fools I'm even more down.

I forget what the name of it was, but there was a weapon in BLOODBORNE's Old Hunters DLC which was this (maybe it just had an explosion at the end of the attack). I feel like it scaled of your ARCANE stat and I used it with the Moonlight Greatsword.

. . .also curious what MGS is going to look like in this one.

FEXTRALIFE (Cas) is currently playing his video of the game and answering questions and the impressions are pretty positive: he notes the best and worst thing about the game is Exploration: great that there's so much to discover, frustrated that it's hard to tell where to go or where you've been (which is odd given that we already saw the map notation demonstrated in the gameplay video from last week). Also is playing on PS5 and what looks like PERFORMANCE mode (noted 60FPS; will likely go for quality myself if its a locked 30).

• Options
    If next year actually contains Elden Ring, FF16, BOTW2, New GOW2 AND Starfield along with all the other cool shit listed for in between those it will definitely be the craziest year in gaming(imo). And this is after like 2 S tier years in a row.

I don't know what's gotten into the water but damn shit has been wild the past few years and I'm loving it.

• Options
    One thing I'm seeing in a lot of these videos (and Fextralife finally mentioned it): they are cribbing a TON of stuff from the previous games. Like enemies from DS3 (the giant crabs from the swamp area before Abyss Watchers) are just chilling in this game. Not a terrible thing on it's own, and likely helped them build the huge world folks are saying it is) but still something to keep in mind. Personally I'm okay with this (as it's not something FS have been shy about doing before) as the new stuff we've seen is kind of bananas.

. . .also folks seem to be worried that magic is a bit too strong, but I imagine shit like that is going to get dialed down for release (or nerfed like the great Lightning Magic nerf of Dark Souls 2).

• Options
    CruorCruor Registered User regular
    Maximillian_d00d also posted an early impressions video, said it's very good and very obviously a Dark Souls game. He'll be posting his full playthrough in hour-or-so long chunks soon.

• Options
    Really good video from FightinCowboy on his experience with the game. Gives a view of the map and notes that is a VERY small portion of the gameworld (that extends well beyond the black borders and echoes Fextralife's comments in that the game world is huge and dense with bespoke combat encounters).

Also looks at how MP works and it seems like invasions are only happening in worlds with co-op going on, or where the host has opened themselves up to co-op. I think this is a perfect system, making the game "harder" if you make the game "easier" with co-op; same rules as DS1/2/3 - co-op until boss is killed. No small stones for limited play though (which was a good system where you could still get rewarded even if the boss didn't go down).

Final interesting thing is the ASHES OF WAR weapon system which seems like an evolution of the imbue system from DS2 (maybe 3. . .can't remember, least played Dark Souls), but that you can - seemingly - mess around with without limitation to find the play and weapon style that you like.

. . .goes without saying that all these videos have gameplay spoilers in them (FC's is pretty light on spoiling combat and instead just going over what he likes).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FPLnfziQEbU

• Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    How loud does the PS4 get with this game is the real question

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    MegaMan001 wrote: »

what? I can't hear you. speak up!

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited November 2021
    Zavian wrote: »

It's a technical thing that could be easily overlook, but I approve that they noted that the launch Xbox One (which did not feature HDR in video output over HDMI) would not have HDR, but the Xbox One S (effectively the most common model of Xbox One by a large margin) does, because it do (and has UHD drive and can output 4K for purposes of streaming, blah blah). Good on them.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    Iron Pineapple let slip that power stancing has returned

• Options
    eMoandereMoander Registered User regular
    Alright, these videos look great. I pulled the trigger on the preorder and I’m going to have to boot ds3 up again for some practice asap

Xbox: Travesty 0214 Switch: 3304-2356-9421 Honkai Star Rail: 600322115 Battlenet: Travesty #1822
  • Options
    eMoander wrote: »
    Alright, these videos look great. I pulled the trigger on the preorder and I’m going to have to boot ds3 up again for some practice asap

Between Fightin Cowboy, Fextra, Iron Pineapple, Max, and the others giving it glowing reviews, I think it was one of the safest purchases I've made recently.

I too am doing a DS3 playthrough.

• Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    i wanna knock out the DS3 plat before it comes out but god, fuck that plat

• Options

Some performance related notes from previews (all subject to change over the next few months of course):

PS4 load times for respawns/fast travel: 15-22 seconds
    XSX: 10-12
    PS5: ~3

No idea why PS5 is so much lower than XSX right now.

• Options

Some performance related notes from previews (all subject to change over the next few months of course):

PS4 load times for respawns/fast travel: 15-22 seconds
    XSX: 10-12
    PS5: ~3

No idea why PS5 is so much lower than XSX right now.

The PS5's NVME drive is twice as fast as the XSX's.

• Options
    NosfNosf Registered User regular

I mean....it's Dark Souls again. If it was some brand new genre From was working in, then maybe hesitate. But this is a genre that's named for their games - if you love some Souls games, then buying this and getting the bonuses is a no brainer.

I know people are critical of preordering, and some companies do earn that mistrust, but I'm not sure From ever has?

• Options
    Nosf wrote: »

I mean....it's Dark Souls again. If it was some brand new genre From was working in, then maybe hesitate. But this is a genre that's named for their games - if you love some Souls games, then buying this and getting the bonuses is a no brainer.

I know people are critical of preordering, and some companies do earn that mistrust, but I'm not sure From ever has?

Yeah I mean, they said it was the evolution of Dark Souls, free of that worlds lore trappings.

• Options
    SurfpossumSurfpossum A nonentity trying to preserve the anonymity he so richly deserves.Registered User regular
    I have a question:

I'm assuming this will have at least Dark Souls style co-op but is there any info on whether it will be more possible to actually play through it cooperatively or if it will still be more like taking turns to progress your own game?

• Options
    Surfpossum wrote: »
    I have a question:

I'm assuming this will have at least Dark Souls style co-op but is there any info on whether it will be more possible to actually play through it cooperatively or if it will still be more like taking turns to progress your own game?

It works like previous Souls games, progress made in other games will not effect yours.

• Options
    I'm kind of hype to try a lance out ngl

• Options
    SurfpossumSurfpossum A nonentity trying to preserve the anonymity he so richly deserves.Registered User regular
    Surfpossum wrote: »
    I have a question:

It works like previous Souls games, progress made in other games will not effect yours.
    Hmm do I have my wife learn everything by heart in it first and then guide me through it again like DS3 or actually try to play through it "together."

• Options
    Indisputable proof in picture form that this is a Souls game
    bggmdblaxz2c.jpg

• Options
    Has there been any mention of PC system requirements or is the closed network test console only?

• Options
    NitsuaNitsua Gloucester, VARegistered User regular
    Console only. They likely want to Keep any data mining to a minimum.

• Options
    ZavianZavian universal peace sounds better than forever war Registered User regular
    Karl wrote: »
    Has there been any mention of PC system requirements or is the closed network test console only?

Unfortunately no mention of PC requirements yet; the current closed network test is console only

This discussion has been closed.