As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The Painting exhibition a thread

• valhalla130valhalla130 13 Dark Shield Perceives the GodsRegistered User regular
    Khraul wrote: »
    True, but my pro acryl white is great. My Scale75 one also... and my P3 white.

Corax white is not a great paint.

Whereas my Corax White is okay (not great,) but every bottle of P3 white I've bought has been chalky and unusable.

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • NorgothNorgoth cardiffRegistered User regular

I've noticed he tries to stick to citadel paints a lot of the time, and I suspect this has to do with how his audience followed him from exclusively GW videos. Using the same kinds of materials is a good move from a strictly viewers perspective.

• GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular

Whereas my Corax White is okay (not great,) but every bottle of P3 white I've bought has been chalky and unusable.

I bought P3 on the recommendation that it was the way to go and frankly the bottles I've gotten are bad. My corax white seems better for the most part. White paint in general is a huge PITA and requires proper thinning, mixing and application.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • KhraulKhraul Registered User regular
    I'm honestly surprised that you guys have had good experiences with corax white. I've never seen a bottle that wasn't just "chalk in small amount of liquid medium"

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    Go with white ink

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    I have had one good bottle of corax white. I rarely use white and mostly uses greys for stuff. Though I have painted enough white scars shoulder pads now on black primer to hate my life.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    I tend to also use really light gray for a lot of my "white". With my blue boys when I have to paint a white ultra or whatever I'll base it in extremely light gray and use pure white as a highlight. If you look really close you can tell, but from distance it just looks like well shaded/highlighted white. Obviously I doubt that would work for an entire suit, like a White Scar, but for white details like on my UM's it works well.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    GnomeTank wrote: »
    I tend to also use really light gray for a lot of my "white". With my blue boys when I have to paint a white ultra or whatever I'll base it in extremely light gray and use pure white as a highlight. If you look really close you can tell, but from distance it just looks like well shaded/highlighted white. Obviously I doubt that would work for an entire suit, like a White Scar, but for white details like on my UM's it works well.

That's kinda exactly how to achieve a good looking white model like white scars. Actual white only for the highlights and edges. Everything else is off white colour

• AsherAsher Registered User regular
    As a degenerate airbrush user, my white is generally black prime, dark grey all over except in recesses, light grey, then pure white, the a white highlight with the real brush because even white through an airbrush is actually off white.

I've got moon Knight coming in the mail so I'm going to try something a bit brighter for him as he needs to be practically luminous.

I put models on Instagram now: asher_paints
  • frayfray Registered User regular
    Painted a dragon dude from Descent: Legends of the Dark.

ly1w7ruhoppn.png

"I told you," said Ford. "Eddies in the space-time continuum."
    "And this is his sofa, is it?" said Arthur.
  • NipsNips He/Him Luxuriating in existential crisis.Registered User regular
    edited October 2021
    Trying to knock some rust off, having not touched a brush in months, I knocked this Stompy bot out as a gift for a friend over the last week.

EYmx1Khh.jpg

Tried some stuff just to experiment. Grey primer coat, Druchii Violet wash to give it some color depth and shade the recesses, a couple different grey drybrush passes, and then details and a topcoat.

The whole thing is fine, nothing particularly taxing, but I'm finding sometimes I just need to play around and bang something out to get my painting legs back under me.

Nips on
    JXUBxMxP0QndjQUEnTwTxOkfKmx8kWNvuc-FUtbSz_23_DAhGKe7W9spFKLXAtkpTBqM8Dt6kQrv-rS69Hi3FheL3fays2xTeVUvWR7g5UyLHnFA0frGk1BC12GYdOSRn9lbaJB-uH0htiLPJMrc9cSRsIgk5Dx7jg9K8rJVfG43lkeAWxTgcolNscW9KO2UZjKT8GMbYAFgFvu2TaMoLH8LBA5p2pm6VNYRsQK3QGjCsze1TOv2yIbCazmDwCHmjiQxNDf6LHP35msyiXo3CxuWs9Y8DQvJjvj10kWaspRNlWHKjS5w9Y0KLuIkhQKOxgaDziG290v4zBmTi-i7OfDz-foqIqKzC9wTbn9i_uU87GRitmrNAJdzRRsaTW5VQu_XX_5gCN8XCoNyu5RWWVGTsjJuyezz1_NpFa903Uj2TnFqnL1wJ-RZiFAAd2Bdut-G1pdQtdQihsq2dx_BjtmtGC3KZRyylO1t2c12dhfb0rStq4v8pg46ciOcdtT_1qm85IgUmGd7AmgLxCFPb0xnxWZvr26G-oXSqrQdjKA1zNIInSowiHcbUO2O8S5LRJVR6vQiEg0fbGXw4vqJYEn917tnzHMh8r0xom8BLKMvoFDelk6wbEeNq8w8Eyu2ouGjEMIvvJcb2az2AKQ1uE_7gdatfKG2QdvfdSBRSc35MQ=w498-h80-no
  • KoregKoreg Registered User regular
    So I did a thing and painted stuff for people.

xm53r0xugi6l.png

If, if Reagan played disco He'd shoot it to shit You can't disco in Jackboots
  • Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular
    edited November 2021
    So I have had a huge batch of primed scatter terrain sitting on my desk for the past 2 months acting as an enthusiasm black hole.

Finally decided to sit down and complete it, and ended up painting and clear coating all 16 pieces yesterday.

Which then got me to open some boxes and build a Devastator Sgt and Devastator Heavy Bolter. Next up I need to build a bunch of Shotgun Scouts and a couple Sniper Scouts and a pair of Heavy Weapon Scouts with a Heavy Bolter and Missile Launcher.

Then it’s priming, painting, and clear coat.

Need everything complete by Nov 20 tournament I signed up for.

Debating if I want to do any basing or maybe just glue a couple pebbles or felt swatch here and there once it’s all done.

Gnome-Interruptus on
    steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski
  • SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    Debating if I want to do any basing or maybe just glue a couple pebbles or felt swatch here and there once it’s all done.

There is nothing sadder than a beautifully painted model sitting on a bare black platform. Remember the old adage, "Bases and Faces make models look Aces".

• Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular

There is nothing sadder than a beautifully painted model sitting on a bare black platform. Remember the old adage, "Bases and Faces make models look Aces".

Not bare black, but my own aesthetic prefers a single colour on the top of the base (usually some shade of brown or green) with a black rim.

It may just be a hang up from the old goblin green standard or BattleTech painting where basing materials would generally throw off the sense of scale.

steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski
  • honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    Then some structure paint at least? Like mud, sand, or dried broken earth? Looks way better already than a flat monotonous surface

• MatriasMatrias Registered User regular
    I finished my Dominion Stormcast! The Knights Tempest are assembled!

PfU3jC7.jpg
    uGsieHQ.jpg
    TMwhhdg.jpg
    GjrhkDx.jpg

and the whole gang together
    4MSVm89.jpg

3DS/Pokemon Friend Code - 2122-5878-9273 - Kyle
  • GR_ZombieGR_Zombie Krillin It Registered User regular
    Base or don’t, it’s your hobby, and tournament players probably won’t care

04xkcuvaav19.png
  • MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    GR_Zombie wrote: »
    Base or don’t, it’s your hobby, and tournament players probably won’t care

Not true.

At least for 40k and most GW games.

You need 3 colors beyond primer minimum and basing to get the 10 points for a battle ready paint job.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Redcoat-13Redcoat-13 Registered User regular
    Putting down one of GWs crackling paints and putting some grass tufts down seems to make my models look much better (probably says more about my paint jobs).

Easy work compared to the effort that went in to the rest of the model. I’m trying to not spend ages on models with low toughness and crap saves that won’t be on the table long if something looks at them funny.

PSN Fleety2009
  • Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    I need a decent process for Death Guard bases, in the classic legion colors. Something suitably gross.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • VikingViking Registered User regular
    edited November 2021
    I need a decent process for Death Guard bases, in the classic legion colors. Something suitably gross.
    I wanted a nurgly corruption of a desert vibe when i did my Deathguard. was just Agrellan Earth with Agrellan Badland to create some visual texture, then tufts and slather on some Nurgles Rot

I have seen some good results with Stirland Mud and Nurgles Rot for a more muddy/swampy look
    https://youtu.be/pfc-FQvVCqQ

Viking on
    steam_sig.png
    Bravely Default / 3DS Friend Code = 3394-3571-1609
  • MatriasMatrias Registered User regular
    The stormcast i do above use Agrella n Earth as well, i just do some drybrushing over top to make it look like sandstone.

3DS/Pokemon Friend Code - 2122-5878-9273 - Kyle
  • novaspikenovaspike Registered User regular
    Not based yet, but here's my first Fury undivided (so i can be lazy and use them under any god).

qt8v13upmhuw.jpg

• MaydayMayday Cutting edge goblin tech Registered User regular
    edited November 2021
    They are fantastic models but I feel like they've made them too tame and gargoyle like. They don't look like daemons anymore, just... creatures.
    I like your idea of swapping in a daemon head, I'm gonna pursue that path myself. Anybody got more ideas for converting furies?

Mayday on
  • VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    i legit thought that was a gargoyle from warcry

edited November 2021
    It kinda is, but it's also called a Fury. Now that you mention it, maybe it's not even supposed to be the same thing. These models are for the Warcry / AoS Furies which are Chaotic Beasts, "fauna transformed into unnatural, mutated abominations", not daemons.
    Meanwhile the daemon furies no longer even have a model in production.
    To add to the confusion, the community page describes them as daemons: https://www.warhammer-community.com/2019/07/23/warcry-chaotic-beastsgw-homepage-post-1/

Well, they are certainly a great base for the daemonic model anyhow. I just don't see something described as "barely sentient" using weapons.

Mayday on
  • SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    Mayday wrote: »
    I just don't see something described as "barely sentient" using weapons.

I've played with some Vermintide co-op partners who qualify.

I like the plastic warcry furies loads more than the old metal furies, so I'm kinda biased.

novaspike wrote: »
    I like the plastic warcry furies loads more than the old metal furies, so I'm kinda biased.
    Oh, I doubt there's anyone who doesn't.
    Anyway, companeros, I have been in a depression and anxiety induced painting slump, but things are getting better recently and I found the energy to make these:

9dz8sPV.jpg
    9cYWCic.jpg
    Oiy3E6q.jpg

I've been focusing on making sure the process itself is fun and relaxing (rather than trying for maximum effort and effect). It's been a greath change, I should have been doing it this way from the beginning. But it's much easier when painting a few heroes for a boardgame or some scrubs that're going to be a part of a 20 man squad.

• VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Might steal that traitor guard man scheme - they’re great

zj2hki07hsvk.jpeg
    628lurdivbp2.jpeg

Gants in red are now done

Got the last of my 40k and Kill Team painted (which is a first time for both games) before moving next week!

Just gotta varnish them, then pack everyone up.

dv93nxj3ol2v.jpg

ysdjpmvh9fc8.jpeg

Knocked this guy out over two days

Two things I would change: I should have covered the dirt around the thing he’s standing on with the same grit elsewhere on the base

Also, I didn’t paint the the vents on his back - those should be the fleshy color you see elsewhere I think

Love the carapace color shift.

• Dark WhiteDark White Registered User regular
    I've been curious about airbrushing for a bit now and figure asking for some airbrushing items for Christmas gifts might be a good way to start.

One hangup I have is: How essential is a spray booth and/or using the brush next to an open window? Pre-fab booths are surprisingly expensive and it gets very cold where I live so keeping a window open for awhile to paint doesn't sound pleasant.

I'm not a particularly prolific painter. I might prime 3-4 models at a time and then take a month or more to paint through them. So, I don't expect to be sitting down for overly long airbrushing sessions.

jswidget.php?username=Dark%20White&numitems=8&text=title&images=small&show=top10&imagesonly=1&imagepos=right&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1
    I have a cheap-o spray booth with LED light strips. You definitely have to do something (window or booth), but the booth has been great in general.

Originally I thought (and tried) to do the majority of my mini painting with the airbrush but didn't really like it. Over time though, I started doing all my support and prep work with the airbrush and it's been amazing for that.

Now I'll do zenithal priming, varnish sealing, and large surface painting with the airbrush. I can do priming and varnish in any weather (with the booth) and never have to worry about the primer being too thick and obscuring details, or the varnish frosting and screwing up my whole finished paint job. And while I don't paint most minis with the airbrush, it's great for making even layers (without brushstrokes) on big stuff like vehicles.

• NipsNips He/Him Luxuriating in existential crisis.Registered User regular
    I'll second the booth. I have a Master Airbrush Booth, that I think is pretty common around here, and it's 100% been worth it. My bench is in an interior room, so even just using the enclosure+fan keeps the overspray, fumes, and dust contained to the booth itself.

@Dark White it sounds like you paint at about the same speed (or faster!) than I do, and I absolute recommend the airbrush and booth for priming, basecoating, and topcoating. With good care, a cheap airbrush and the booth are going to last you for years and absolutely pay you back in time and ease, while also giving you an entry point into trying more airbrush techniques.

JXUBxMxP0QndjQUEnTwTxOkfKmx8kWNvuc-FUtbSz_23_DAhGKe7W9spFKLXAtkpTBqM8Dt6kQrv-rS69Hi3FheL3fays2xTeVUvWR7g5UyLHnFA0frGk1BC12GYdOSRn9lbaJB-uH0htiLPJMrc9cSRsIgk5Dx7jg9K8rJVfG43lkeAWxTgcolNscW9KO2UZjKT8GMbYAFgFvu2TaMoLH8LBA5p2pm6VNYRsQK3QGjCsze1TOv2yIbCazmDwCHmjiQxNDf6LHP35msyiXo3CxuWs9Y8DQvJjvj10kWaspRNlWHKjS5w9Y0KLuIkhQKOxgaDziG290v4zBmTi-i7OfDz-foqIqKzC9wTbn9i_uU87GRitmrNAJdzRRsaTW5VQu_XX_5gCN8XCoNyu5RWWVGTsjJuyezz1_NpFa903Uj2TnFqnL1wJ-RZiFAAd2Bdut-G1pdQtdQihsq2dx_BjtmtGC3KZRyylO1t2c12dhfb0rStq4v8pg46ciOcdtT_1qm85IgUmGd7AmgLxCFPb0xnxWZvr26G-oXSqrQdjKA1zNIInSowiHcbUO2O8S5LRJVR6vQiEg0fbGXw4vqJYEn917tnzHMh8r0xom8BLKMvoFDelk6wbEeNq8w8Eyu2ouGjEMIvvJcb2az2AKQ1uE_7gdatfKG2QdvfdSBRSc35MQ=w498-h80-no
    I have just realised than there's an unused vent shaft running right next to my painting desk.
    Seems like I might hook up a fan to it, attach some pipes, a filter and then even a cardboard box would let me spray right in the room. Do you think this is a good idea? Anybody has experience with building something like that?

• KoregKoreg Registered User regular
    I was asked to do some Blood Angels.
    So far I got this done in 9 days working a few hours a day. The hardest part so far? The fricken hazard stripes.

PXL_20211109_200004586.jpg?width=769&height=577
    unknown.png
    unknown.png

unknown.png

If, if Reagan played disco He'd shoot it to shit You can't disco in Jackboots
This discussion has been closed.