As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Programming] Page overflow to new thread

• Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    why do you do this to me

• Options
    InfidelInfidel Heretic Registered User regular
    200.gif

OrokosPA.png
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    edited October 2021
    Hey programming thread. Long time no see. I just applied to a position as a Python developer at a place. I noodled around with Python quite a bit, uh... 10ish years ago and barely any since then. It's been all C# and SQL. Are there any good resources for reminding me how to even so I don't make a fool of myself in a potential interview?
    edit: Something a little more advanced and structured as a refresher than say... W3schools, but not quite as dry as just reading the language documentation pages.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    AkimboEGAkimboEG Mr. Fancypants Wears very fine pants indeedRegistered User regular
    edited October 2021
    Hey programming thread. Long time no see. I just applied to a position as a Python developer at a place. I noodled around with Python quite a bit, uh... 10ish years ago and barely any since then. It's been all C# and SQL. Are there any good resources for reminding me how to even so I don't make a fool of myself in a potential interview?
    edit: Something a little more advanced and structured as a refresher than say... W3schools, but not quite as dry as just reading the language documentation pages.

For base language stuff, I think I remember codecademy being a good place. Also, if you're coming back to the language, I think looking through the major version release logs, and reading up on the new features, is a good idea.

Oh, and I know you said no official docs, but they're honestly really quite good, even if dry.

AkimboEG on
    Give me a kiss to build a dream on; And my imagination will thrive upon that kiss; Sweetheart, I ask no more than this; A kiss to build a dream on
  • Options
    I would like to announce that my team at EchoCorp has just invented the "sort-of sort" algorithm, where things look mostly sorted unless you look too close at the data.

• Options
    DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    Patent it!

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    How fast is it though

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    Echo wrote: »
    I would like to announce that my team at EchoCorp has just invented the "sort-of sort" algorithm, where things look mostly sorted unless you look too close at the data.

"good enough sort"

• Options
    I once had ideas for a MAYBE logic gate.

• Options
    AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2021

I remain pretty proud of my Exclusive And gate.

Aioua on
    life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    my web application now has enough users that i can no longer mindlessly hot patch it in production environment. i hate this! send me back to writing irrelevant userless software

• Options
    KakodaimonosKakodaimonos Code fondler Helping the 1% get richerRegistered User regular
    Aioua wrote: »

I remain pretty proud of my Exclusive And gate.

Quantum gates are also pretty fun.

https://www.quantiki.org/wiki/quantum-gates

• Options
    dporowskidporowski Registered User regular
    Jasconius wrote: »
    my web application now has enough users that i can no longer mindlessly hot patch it in production environment. i hate this! send me back to writing irrelevant userless software

I mean. You still can... Just call it "agility" and "moving fast" and you're good.

• Options
    dporowski wrote: »

I mean. You still can... Just call it "agility" and "moving fast" and you're good.

"move fast and break things"

• Options
    Orca wrote: »

*removes Facebook's DNS records from the internet*

• Options
    TelMarineTelMarine Registered User regular

*removes Facebook's DNS records from the internet*

I guess they were self aware in that regard, at least for a little bit.

3ds: 4983-4935-4575
  • Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular

If it's not already load balanced across multiple instances, probably time to do that if you're at the level of not being able to production patch. Once you've got that just implement basic rolling deploys. If you're really lucky your stuff is already deployed to something that supports rolling deploys out of the box like ECS or Kubernetes.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    Ear3nd1lEar3nd1l Eärendil the Mariner, father of Elrond Registered User regular
    So I had a fascinating conversation with our QA person and the team lead in the team stand-up yesterday. And by 'fascinating', I mean 'infuriating'.

QA: Ear3nd1l, I don't see your changes on the QA server.
    Me: I see them and sent you a screenshot when you mentioned it on Friday.
    QA: Well, I don't see them.
    Me: Did you refresh the page?
    Team Lead: Wait, why does he have to do that? We can't expect the users to refresh the page to see changes to the application.
    Me: Wait.. what? We absolutely can expect them to refresh the page. How else do you expect code changes in an SPA to show up for them? Besides, when we do our production deployments, we do them over a weekend. So when the user comes to the app on Monday, they will have refreshed the page anyway.
    Team Lead: No, we can't expect that.
    Me: I don't know what you expect me to do about that.
    QA: Wait, I see the changes now. Never mind.

• Options
    Ear3nd1l wrote: »
    How else do you expect code changes in an SPA to show up for them?

Some sites poll for new versions and either auto-refresh or ask the user if they want to refresh.

• Options
    Ear3nd1l wrote: »
    How else do you expect code changes in an SPA to show up for them?

Some sites poll for new versions and either auto-refresh or ask the user if they want to refresh.

True, I suppose I should have worded it "How else do you expect code changes in our SPA to show up for them?" This app is an architectural mess, so the idea of trying to add auto-refresh to is makes my head hurt.

• Options
    I think Twitter auto-refreshes and it's hella annoying when I go back to a tab from yesterday and it reloads the page.

• Options
    SPAs are the work of the devil and I hate them.

• Options
    Give me some good old fashioned HTML with tables like my pappy used to make

• Options
    djmitchelladjmitchella Registered User regular
    You can use service workers to take care of that sort of thing, too. Angular has fairly easy-to-use support for that, for example.

• Options
    InfidelInfidel Heretic Registered User regular
    To be fair to team lead, it's kinda a solved problem.

OrokosPA.png
  • Options
    edited November 2021
    Guys, my point isn't that it can't be done, but instead that our application does not support it and would require significant work to an application that is already held together by duct tape and chicken wire.

This is something that he knows. He's just being intentionally difficult.

Ear3nd1l on
  • Options
    edited November 2021

They pretty much are emulating a desktop application, imo.

I just thought of this. Instead of having to re-implement everything a desktop application does in a browser, why not just use a desktop application and give the user a remote desktop link? I guess the connection would be laggy, but boy it probably would save a ton of work. May have scaling issues too and cost might be an issue. Whatever, it's an idea, haha

TelMarine on
  • Options
    TelMarine wrote: »

I just thought of this. Instead of having to re-implement everything a desktop application does in a browser, why not just use a desktop application and give the user a remote desktop link? I guess the connection would be laggy, but boy it probably would save a ton of work. May have scaling issues too and cost might be an issue. Whatever, it's an idea, haha

When it's Discord's web app, sure, that makes sense as an SPA. Or Google Docs. Gmail is...questionable IMO.

When it's Chase's interface where half the links don't lead to new pages and they break the back button, fuck off with that shit.

• Options
    If the router in your SPA is set up properly, it shouldn't break the back button. I know that the routers in Angular, React, Vue, and Svelte handle the history correctly. I've never used Ember, so I can't speak to that one.

I usually use the Chase mobile app, so I've never noticed that their routing doesn't work. That's unfortunate for such a large company.

• Options
    Fly out boxes that are not valid URLs need to die.

• Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular

Because that's rife with security vulnerabilities?

• Options
    FremFrem Registered User regular
    schuss wrote: »

Because that's rife with security vulnerabilities?

We did this at my first job to hold users over who wanted something easy to deploy while we developed a web version of our desktop product.

It is SO much more complicated and expensive to configure Remote Desktop servers than it is to just throw stuff on a web server. You need a lot more server resources; multiple simultaneous users start burning through RAM. The application UI is laggier, too.

• Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    So at work I'm being asked to get information out of a database generated using Ruby on Rails, and I was introduced today to the idea that Ruby will do fun things like have an array [this is the stuff in the array] get translated into a column with numbers 0 - 6, and no way to easily retrieve that like 5 = "the".

Any advice for getting a grip on this as I try to answer questions like "how many people did xyz over the course of the past year?" The last place I worked had a much larger database, but it also actually had all of the information present in the danged database. Is this just a matter of needing to keep a separate browser window open with the Ruby code? Is there a way I could set things up nicely in VS? I haven't worked with Ruby at all, and so far I've just been using Postico and Postgres and furrowing my brow when I found IDs that didn't seem to have any tables associated with them.

Also they've got like 3 other places where individual features store their own pertinent information and I'm very much going to recommend we squish all this together into something more manageable. One thing I was thinking was maybe just tossing it all onto Redshift? I just want to be able to access all of this stuff via SQL and not by writing custom shell scripts and looking at things in a browser.

Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    So at work I'm being asked to get information out of a database generated using Ruby on Rails, and I was introduced today to the idea that Ruby will do fun things like have an array [this is the stuff in the array] get translated into a column with numbers 0 - 6, and no way to easily retrieve that like 5 = "the".

Any advice for getting a grip on this as I try to answer questions like "how many people did xyz over the course of the past year?" The last place I worked had a much larger database, but it also actually had all of the information present in the danged database. Is this just a matter of needing to keep a separate browser window open with the Ruby code? Is there a way I could set things up nicely in VS? I haven't worked with Ruby at all, and so far I've just been using Postico and Postgres and furrowing my brow when I found IDs that didn't seem to have any tables associated with them.

Also they've got like 3 other places where individual features store their own pertinent information and I'm very much going to recommend we squish all this together into something more manageable. One thing I was thinking was maybe just tossing it all onto Redshift? I just want to be able to access all of this stuff via SQL and not by writing custom shell scripts and looking at things in a browser.

I might be able to help, but I'd need to know more about how stuff is actually stored and what you are trying to get out of it.

• Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    It kinda sounds to me like you have a Rails DB that was built by someone who understood neither Rails nor DBs. There’s not much special stuff Rails does when it generates a DB beyond normalizing it a bit more than you might be used to.

• Options
    PhyphorPhyphor Building Planet Busters Tasting FruitRegistered User regular
    I just want to serve 5 TB of data
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3t6L-FlfeaI

• Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    edited November 2021
    Yeah I'm definitely getting the impression that these folks kind of put together the database without totally knowing what they were doing.

Like while discussing it with me they said that it may not be possible to get stuff out via SQL and... it's definitely stuff that should be possible. Easy, even! I just need to know how to walk from the eventID on table A to the userID on table C, but they seemed to not really get how to do that except by writing Ruby scripts. And the thing about some of the IDs being accessible only in Ruby really confounded me, because why even do that? Like why not have the table you know PokemonTypes with ID | Name in the database with everything else? I wasn't certain if it was just a normal part of building the DB this way, since I've never worked with Ruby.

I'll speak further with the person who handled these requests prior to me to figure out what the heck they've been doing to handle this, but I'm happy to have some confirmation that it's actually just very weird. I'm really not much of a DBA, I've mostly worked within databases administered by other folks, but this is really making me want to take the time to learn more so I can avoid... all this.

Edit: Oh and to clarify the other places they store data are not all related to Ruby, they're external databases acting as backends for different but related things using totally distinct formats. They suggested I might want to make a Ruby script to loop through and pull out every individual record I was interested in if there was information in those that I needed to match to information in the main DB...

durandal4532 on
    Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    Phyphor wrote: »
    I just want to serve 5 TB of data
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3t6L-FlfeaI

Apparently this really only makes sense if you worked at Google around 2010 and would be privy to the issues discussed in the video.

• Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Yeah I'm definitely getting the impression that these folks kind of put together the database without totally knowing what they were doing.

Like while discussing it with me they said that it may not be possible to get stuff out via SQL and... it's definitely stuff that should be possible. Easy, even! I just need to know how to walk from the eventID on table A to the userID on table C, but they seemed to not really get how to do that except by writing Ruby scripts. And the thing about some of the IDs being accessible only in Ruby really confounded me, because why even do that? Like why not have the table you know PokemonTypes with ID | Name in the database with everything else? I wasn't certain if it was just a normal part of building the DB this way, since I've never worked with Ruby.

I'll speak further with the person who handled these requests prior to me to figure out what the heck they've been doing to handle this, but I'm happy to have some confirmation that it's actually just very weird. I'm really not much of a DBA, I've mostly worked within databases administered by other folks, but this is really making me want to take the time to learn more so I can avoid... all this.

Edit: Oh and to clarify the other places they store data are not all related to Ruby, they're external databases acting as backends for different but related things using totally distinct formats. They suggested I might want to make a Ruby script to loop through and pull out every individual record I was interested in if there was information in those that I needed to match to information in the main DB...

what you have here is not a database, it's an ancient curse

This discussion has been closed.