As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The newest action figures (and other toys) thread (NSF56k)

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    We've also gotten leaks on how Menesar is going to look and it's going to be Commander Class Motormaster where the cab turns into motormaster/the torso and the trailer turns into a framework that you slot the cars into, so it's a unlike the Combiner Wars era combiners and in fact is not compatible with them.

• Options
    BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    Donnicton wrote: »
    Athenor wrote: »
    Oh nooo...

So I've expressed before how I'm kind of.. burned out on G1 transformers designs. There's nothing wrong with them, and they are nostalgic for a lot of fans! But I personally like seeing new takes on characters that aren't beholden to the 80s toy or animation styles. Which of course means that 3rd party releases appeal to me.

Personally I'll get burned out on G1 when they actually make G1 transformers and not trash fires of bad design like the Combiner Wars Menasor.

Rumor mill currently floating leaks that 2022's Hasbro Legacy toy line will(among others) have them revisiting the Stunticons, so I currently have fingers crossed that they please do it right this time.

Those Zoids-assed Dinobots look pretty great, hopefully the actual product lives up to the concept art - Sludge should be the size of the Ultrasaurus toy!
    Athenor wrote: »
    They are definitely doing menasor. One of the stunticons, Drag Strip, went up for sale.

You can see the photos here. I'm excited since it isn't the "Scramble City" style they used for the Combiner Wars ones.
    https://smile.amazon.com/Transformers-Generations-Legacy-Decepticon-Dragstrip/dp/B09H11XYRB/

oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
  • Options
    NobodyNobody Registered User regular
    Gonna say I liked the CW Combiners

(Well, not a fan of the minicon sixth ranger thing they had going).

That being said I’m 100% on board for the new Menasor too

• Options
    Nobody wrote: »
    Gonna say I liked the CW Combiners

(Well, not a fan of the minicon sixth ranger thing they had going).

That being said I’m 100% on board for the new Menasor too

I started hoarding collecting after Menasor came out so missed him (unless I wanted the G2 version). Barely got Hot Spot for Defensor by buying a 2 pack of him and Cyclonus from Big Bad Toy Store. I did see tons of Motormaster warming shelves though (and even discounted at Ross). I did get Bruticus which I thought was pretty good. So I guess I can't say I hate the Scramble City Combiner Wars versions.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    Forever ZefiroForever Zefiro cloaked in the midnight glory of an event horizonRegistered User regular
    The CW combiners weren’t perfect, but I thought they were solid toys. Sure, the designs suffered some from being Scramble City, but the Scramble ability is fun. Pretty much needed the 3P feet+hands though.

Defensor was one I never got though. At that point I think I did finally get tired of the same molds and Defensor just didn’t have enough differences.

2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
    XBL - Foreverender | 3DS FC - 1418 6696 1012 | Steam ID | LoL
  • Options
    DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    I've been feeling pretty bored by TF toys for a while. And I think, like Athenor, I'm just burned out on G1. I'm also displeased that Hasbro is leaning into NFTs. Like, now that I've got SS86 Grimlock, I don't feel like there's anything else I really need.

• Options
    edited November 2021
    Yep, it is a very Astromech day for me. Two packages, one from Amazon (Tamagotchi) and the other from Shop Disney.

R2-D2_Tamagotchi.jpg

Holiday_Droids.jpg

Edit: Forgot the photos were reversed.

Betsuni on
    oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    edited November 2021
    Did some retail therapy today to calm my nerves. Picked up a new fidget toy I've had my eye on for a while.

Everyone knows about mini magnets and such, right? Well one of the companies made this product called "Speks Geode." They are pentagon shaped panels with magnets at the edges - specifically, bearing magnets that can rotate. This means they can slide and make different solid shapes and all sorts of cool things!

MLzsDE7h.jpg

HFzk1eOh.jpg

9LMwvGvh.jpg

.. I'll likely get at least 1 more in a different color.

Athenor on
    He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    edited November 2021
    Hasbro showed off some of the upcoming Studio Series figures based off of the short cybertron sequence in the Bumblebee movie. These are fascinating because the designs were a pretty good hybridization of the G1 and Michael Bay aesthetics, but more importantly, none of them transformed, so Habsro is able to make their alt-modes up from scratch, which also allows them to maintain a higher degree of robot-mode accuracy. They run the gamet from "what the hell is that" to "about what I expected" to "Holy hell that looks awesome"

Like seriously, look at Brawn!

The rest of the pics for Ratchet, Wheeljack and Soundwave are in the twitter thread.

They also showed off some smaller core class figures, a first for studio series

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    Ok those are pretty cool. Soundwave is an odd alt mode. Is that a pancake?

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    Betsuni wrote: »
    Ok those are pretty cool. Soundwave is an odd alt mode. Is that a pancake?
    Literally the exact same thing that I thought! Seems like a real hand-wave of an alt mode.

That Brawn looks really interesting.

• Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    Brawn is cosplaying as a Grunt from halo

• Options
    Some of the alt modes are, um, interesting.

Shockwave is okay but I’m really not feeling Ravage or Soundwave

• Options
    Ravage is just a block that fits into Soundwave, so I can let that slide. Soundwave needs a cockpit or something. He almost looks like the "Bat" from Dark Knight Rises.

• Options
    Just saw a BBTS charge on my card, looks like my Demon Dart Beastbox is going to ship soon!

• Options
    Delzhand wrote: »
    Just saw a BBTS charge on my card, looks like my Demon Dart Beastbox is going to ship soon!
    Yeah, they got a bunch of BeastBoxes in stock recently - only half a year late!

• Options
  • Options
    That is crazy, a transforming NERF (clone) gun. Also pretty cool of an idea.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    Forever ZefiroForever Zefiro cloaked in the midnight glory of an event horizonRegistered User regular
    It’s surprisingly cheap too, like $80? I’ve been contemplating getting one...

2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
  • Options
    I was kinda surprised how big it was, I saw them on BBTS but I thought they were a bit smaller

• Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    It had been over a month since Smart Doll last did one of their Utter Chaos bundles, so when they finally released one on Friday I may have gone a little bit overboard.

ykkc2b8gpmau.jpg

There might be 7 total chaos "boxes" in this package. Maybe.

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    I got my Demon Dart today. In practice the "alt mode" being a cube isn't very interesting, but it's hard to hold that against it. There plastic quality and tolerances are very good, everything snaps into place satisfyingly every time, there's no gaps or loose parts.

The pre-order bonus it came with is kinda whatever, though. It's like a weapon pack, but without a robot mode or clear way to use those particular weapons on battle mode, it's kinda pointless.

They fit together in a variety of ways, but it's not like an Arms Micron where there's a right way to do it. I can kinda make a crossbow out of it, maybe that's cooler for the humanoid ones.

• Options
    The para-weapons that come as a pre-order bonus with BeastBoxes have one intentional way to combine into some single weapon, although very often the reaction upon seeing this combined mode is "...alright, I guess". Para-weapons from previous years have had explicit combine instructions on their packaging, but recent ones haven't had them for some reason. Both the para-weapons and the BeastBoxes typically have multiple pegs and holes each, and I think the intent is that you put the weapons on wherever looks good to you; my Demon Dart hasn't arrived yet, but looking at photos I see some ports on the wing-covers and legs, and some pegs on the sides of the head - those seem like decent candidates for attaching the weapons, right?

But, yeah, I also think they're not exactly mind-blowing. Also seems weird that the ones that come with Demon Dart are water-animal-themed.

• Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    A chance stop by Target at 9:45 PM tonight netted me one of the hardest to find Transformers around here:

3FoWvXch.jpg

Thing is... I don't know if I really want it? Like I have Volcanius. And like I was saying, I really like that stylized one, and G1 one stuff just really isn't doing it for me these days. So I can say, this is the best rendition of "Slug" (Slag) in G1 style out there. And it's friggin huge! But.. do I want it.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    Yeah I went back and forth on these guys, I ended up grabbing Grimlock, but Slug is really hard to find around here.

• Options
    Dang he's hard to find? I have seen four or so between my Target and Walmart visits lately. Probably because I already have him. I love how he looks in bot and dino modes. Yeah he is a bit big and wish he was smaller like the PotP version. I'm going to pass on the rest due to their size, but would get them all if I didn't already have the PotP versions.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    It’s variable, the TFW2005 sightings page for my state has some stores where the description is basically “an endcap full of Slug and Grindor” while my local stores will occasionally have a single Grindor and that’s it.

• Options
    Well hopefully you will be able to find one in the wild. Let me know if you want me to keep an eye out for one.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    Looks like Takara's Raiden Shouki has a Hasbro release now. Big Bad Toy Store lowered the price to somewhat match Hasbro's $158.99.

https://hasbropulse.com/collections/new/products/transformers-takara-tomy-masterpiece-mpg-01-shouki

Still not as close as the 3P versions for $109.99, but much nicer price.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    edited November 2021
    Delduwath wrote: »
    The para-weapons that come as a pre-order bonus with BeastBoxes have one intentional way to combine into some single weapon, although very often the reaction upon seeing this combined mode is "...alright, I guess". Para-weapons from previous years have had explicit combine instructions on their packaging, but recent ones haven't had them for some reason. Both the para-weapons and the BeastBoxes typically have multiple pegs and holes each, and I think the intent is that you put the weapons on wherever looks good to you; my Demon Dart hasn't arrived yet, but looking at photos I see some ports on the wing-covers and legs, and some pegs on the sides of the head - those seem like decent candidates for attaching the weapons, right?

But, yeah, I also think they're not exactly mind-blowing. Also seems weird that the ones that come with Demon Dart are water-animal-themed.

The artwork on the cover makes it look like it's supposed to make a scorpion, but the parts don't look like the art. It's weird.

On the other hand, the fact that I couldn't get the preorder bonus for Firmhand doesn't bother me anymore.

Edit: Can I talk about how cool Firmhand is for a sec? It's a robot wolf with a cybernetic limb. Like, what?

Delzhand on
  • Options
    The pre-order bonus for Firmhand was not para-weapons; it's the larger cyber-paw that can clip on as an extra weapon.

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Today I was shocked after this rather brutal week at work they had something I did not expect!
    wh7ayiykwmvz.png

But the other thing is people are stealing or removing the head from Lebron in space jam
    b8ntuutgsuii.png

• Options
    Delduwath wrote: »
    The pre-order bonus for Firmhand was not para-weapons; it's the larger cyber-paw that can clip on as an extra weapon.

boooooo

• Options
    edited November 2021
    Brainleech wrote: »
    Today I was shocked after this rather brutal week at work they had something I did not expect!
    wh7ayiykwmvz.png

But the other thing is people are stealing or removing the head from Lebron in space jam
    b8ntuutgsuii.png

Yeah, I saw that it has become some sort of joke on the Internet to steal Lebron's head and stuff it on other things. People really are stupid if you ask me. There is one thing to be silly like doing that to your own property, but why do people think it is funny to do that to someone else's?

Edit: I want to clarify I awesomed the fact that you found a Koska Reeves figure, not the Lebron part.

Betsuni on
    oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    edited November 2021
    Betsuni wrote: »
    Looks like Takara's Raiden Shouki has a Hasbro release now. Big Bad Toy Store lowered the price to somewhat match Hasbro's $158.99.

https://hasbropulse.com/collections/new/products/transformers-takara-tomy-masterpiece-mpg-01-shouki

Still not as close as the 3P versions for $109.99, but much nicer price.

Yeah even the 3p ones are still outside my price range for impulse buys, but they’re still more likely than the Takara version at this point.

Nobody on
  • Options
    vd1siqzf90x2.jpg
    nbsvlipp41au.jpg

• Options
    That’s a bit more bearable for the train, but still an easy pass for me

I didn’t get the PotP dinos, so these SS dinobots are definite pickups. They’re mostly just what I’ve wanted, not quite MP detail (or cost!), just big solid toys. My only real complaint are the accessories, these barely articulated companions are lame and a waste. Should’ve had more weapons instead

2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2021

I didn’t get the PotP dinos, so these SS dinobots are definite pickups. They’re mostly just what I’ve wanted, not quite MP detail (or cost!), just big solid toys. My only real complaint are the accessories, these barely articulated companions are lame and a waste. Should’ve had more weapons instead

You are lucky you did not get the PotP Dinobots. They are cool to me and remind me of the original toys (upgraded with joints of course), a bit smaller, but I could have done without the combining forcing Grimlock to be a bit weird to look at in dinosaur mode.

I do agree that the riding companions could have been left out for their swords. I expect to see the rest of the team when you get them in so I can adore them through the Internet.

Edit: That is one cool looking robotic looking beetle. Can't believe that thing turns into a cube.

Betsuni on
    oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options

reduced-image_18348_6_1623172074.jpeg

I also have the 3P upgrades for Volcanius, so.. unique enough for me! :D

(And yes, the cubes are tempting as hell.)

• Options
    E.CoyoteE.Coyote Registered User regular
    I was delighted to find halloween boglin reproductions straight from the late 80s in walmart. (with a new scary clown) Picked them up for xmas gifts.
    aywtp62djyck.jpg