As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[iPhone/iPod/iPad] Thread - When this thread started phones had headphone jacks

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    I do like the official apple leather cases. They wear real nice.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    SixSix Caches Tweets in the mainframe cyberhex Registered User regular
    webguy20 wrote: »

When did you get yours? Apparently they changed something fundamental last year. I got mine because I thought they were supposed to be nice but it absolutely did not wear nice and was a cheap piece of shit.

can you feel the struggle within?
  • Options
    Six wrote: »
    webguy20 wrote: »

When did you get yours? Apparently they changed something fundamental last year. I got mine because I thought they were supposed to be nice but it absolutely did not wear nice and was a cheap piece of shit.

Oh yea, mine was years ago. Used it on my 5S.

• Options
    dporowskidporowski Registered User regular
    I always get the light brown/"natural" kind of looking leather cases from Apple, and they've been champions. Got the case for my 13 already, and tbh it looks about like it always has; I wonder if it's the color making the difference? Could see different dyes wearing differently.

• Options
    Here’s my blue leather case, purchased new earlier this year, so it’s a few months old. The color just wears right off and it’s black underneath, it’s not actually dyed leather that ages well.

LxBj4Pvl.jpg
    tLjUesPl.jpg
    9LWHpdLl.jpg

From what I’ve read in other places, many people who’ve had the past Apple leather cases and loved them really hate the new ones. I liked mine at first and wasn’t sure what the big deal was but after a few months I realized just how cheap it is.

• Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    Wow. Yeah, that's really bad.

• Options
    Oh yeah, that's awful. FWIW the light brown one I have doesn't seem to be like that, but IDK we'll see...

God this thing's fancy though. (It just showed up.)

Curious: Is your interior case color a match to the exterior, or is it a more neutral/leather look? Mine's pretty uniform in and out.

• Options
    dporowski wrote: »
    Oh yeah, that's awful. FWIW the light brown one I have doesn't seem to be like that, but IDK we'll see...

God this thing's fancy though. (It just showed up.)

Curious: Is your interior case color a match to the exterior, or is it a more neutral/leather look? Mine's pretty uniform in and out.

Pretty close to the exterior.

• Options
    Well, just popped mine into the case, so let's see... How quick did you start seeing wear? I'll keep an eye out. Be a shame if it sucks, I've really really liked the Apple cases.

• Options
    Just used my mini to play my character in D&D, using the D&D Beyond app and the Notes app side by side, paired with a little bluetooth keyboard. Worked like a charm, everything was legible and easy to use when I needed to tap the screen for dice rolls or swiping in the D&D app, didn't take up much space and only burned through like 15% battery in a 3 hour session with the screen on the entire time. I might get a little messenger bag to pack it in instead of my big ol' game bag.

• Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    A few years ago I retrofitted this phone mount into my Jeep’s dash. It basically replaced the original empty “tray” on the top of the dash with a new one that has a phone mount sticking out of the top of it. It’s nice because it doesn’t take up a vent or require adhesion to the windshield of dash. It’s physically screwed into the dashboard. The only problem is that it was an incredibly clunky phone grip. The good thing is that the part that grips the phone just attaches to a relatively standard 17mm ball mount.

I picked up a new MagSafe car mount off Amazon that uses a ball and socket style mount and took a chance. Luckily the socket is the same size so I just popped off the old clunky one and popped on this new MagSafe puck mount. It holds my 13 Pro Max super well and when I’m not using it, it doesn’t obscure a third of my windshield like the old one. No more big clunky spring arms that barely fit my giant phone!

lchxog5ashi0.jpeg

The same brand also sells little MagSafe discs with adhesive backs that you can use for putting a MagSafe mount on any flat surface, so I picked up a couple of those for my workshop and the kitchen.

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options
    CormacCormac Registered User regular
    I use the exact same disc attached to a ClutchIt stuck to a convenient place on the center console. It's been working great but I have had to replace the glue disc once during the summer and put it back together when it broke apart. A quick 5 minute fix getting the magnets back into place.

I also bought a Moment Magsafe wallmount but have not gotten around to using it. It's much nicer than the cheapie off of Amazon being a solid disc of metal. Once I run out of glue disc or the cheap ones come apart again I'll switch over to it.

Steam: Gridlynk | PSN: Gridlynk | FFXIV: Jarvellis Mika
  • Options
    iOS 15 has been the buggiest new release I can remember. Nothing super huge but lots of little interface problems. Feels a bit rushed and I’m enthusiastic for a point release.

On the other hand, it automatically turns on do not disturb mode during dinner reservations. Neat.

• Options
    Ok, I’m not sure if this is a bug or just something I don’t understand, but maybe someone can help. On an iPad Pro with a folio keyboard running iOS 15, when I’m typing in an app this little thing is at the bottom right of the screen:

L75cGHy.jpg

It brings up the software keyboard if I want it. Except it also covers up useful buttons in many apps and is annoying as hell. I seem to be able to move it around, except if I try to move it to another part of the screen, the app bugs out and I can’t type anything and then it usually just snaps back. So I need to bring up the on-screen keyboard so the app readjusts and then I can click whatever button it’s covering. It’s annoying.

Any way to turn this off or is this just an iOS 15 thing that app makers have to now work around and no one has bothered yet? this screenshot is from discord, but the same thing happens in the Reddit app.

• Options
    edited October 2021
    Aww yiss, looks like I get my iPhone tomorrow.

edit: well, it's still in Netherlands, but the message claims Friday delivery.

Echo on
  • Options
    Ok, I’m not sure if this is a bug or just something I don’t understand, but maybe someone can help. On an iPad Pro with a folio keyboard running iOS 15, when I’m typing in an app this little thing is at the bottom right of the screen:

L75cGHy.jpg

It brings up the software keyboard if I want it. Except it also covers up useful buttons in many apps and is annoying as hell. I seem to be able to move it around, except if I try to move it to another part of the screen, the app bugs out and I can’t type anything and then it usually just snaps back. So I need to bring up the on-screen keyboard so the app readjusts and then I can click whatever button it’s covering. It’s annoying.

Any way to turn this off or is this just an iOS 15 thing that app makers have to now work around and no one has bothered yet? this screenshot is from discord, but the same thing happens in the Reddit app.

I've never seen that on a standalone iPad, honestly. Does it also happen in a native Apple app like Notes and stuff? I don't know of any particularly alarming keyboard APIs changed in this version, but I don't work on much more textually complex than a username/password field.

• Options
    iPhone 13 Pro Max get!

The stainless steel frame was really nice for the seven seconds it lasted before being covered in fingerprints.

• Options
    Hmm, since the latest Watch update mine has been gobbling battery like mad. I usually charge it in the late evening and put it on before going to bed. Now it's 4 pm and it's at 32%, that's usually what it's at at the end of the day when I charge it.

• Options
    Echo wrote: »
    Hmm, since the latest Watch update mine has been gobbling battery like mad. I usually charge it in the late evening and put it on before going to bed. Now it's 4 pm and it's at 32%, that's usually what it's at at the end of the day when I charge it.

This happened to me in the past and a watch restart fixed it. Mine just updated this morning so let’s see.

• Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    First day or three following a watch update always thrashes my battery life; I assume it is reindexing stuff. Things always return to normal.

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    There's no way to have a Watch synced to two phones, is there? A bit annoyed that I can't have my job phone 2FA on the watch now that I sync it to my private phone.

• Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    Not that I know. Multiple watches to one phone is easy but the inverse is not supported at all that I can see. Can you load just the Authenticator on your personal device or is that going to suck down policy junk with it and/or be disallowed?

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    Nope. the watch is tied to the phone.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    First time I'm at the office with an AirTag squirreled away in my backpack, and I got a notification that I "left it behind" when I went out to buy lunch. The system is working!

• Options
    twmjrtwmjr Registered User regular
    First time I'm at the office with an AirTag squirreled away in my backpack, and I got a notification that I "left it behind" when I went out to buy lunch. The system is working!

My one gripe with AirTags at the moment - I wish there was a way to mark them within a family group to ignore the "someone's tag is following you!" notifications. I had to take my wife's keys the other day, and my phone was very upset that her tag was following me around. (or I guess - is there a way to do this that I don't know about? there's a way to temporarily suppress notifications, but it would be nice to have it permanent and to be able to see each other's tags like we can see each other's devices).

• Options
    I keep getting left behind notifications for my AirPods when they’re in my bag I’m carrying.

• Options
    I keep getting left behind notifications for my AirPods when they’re in my bag I’m carrying.

Yeah, it freaked me out the other day when I got a notification saying I had left my AirPods like 40 miles away. They were in my pocket, though.

• Options

Yeah, it freaked me out the other day when I got a notification saying I had left my AirPods like 40 miles away. They were in my pocket, though.

the implementation for them is a bit flawed since they’re not usually connected to anything. I can’t decide if I want to leave the notification on for them or not since i think I’ll just be training myself to ignore it.

• Options
    iTunesIsEviliTunesIsEvil Cornfield? Cornfield.Registered User regular

I played golf (yeah yeah) Sunday, and my phone stayed in the cart, and EVERY - DAMN - TIME I left the cart to go to my ball my watch was tapping me and going "iPhone left behind!" Had to find that setting and turn it off.

• Options
    This auto-switching of lenses can get annoying. I was recording the 3D printer working. I held the phone still, but the build surface moves back and forth, so it kept switching back and forth between lenses as the distance changed.

• Options
    edited October 2021
    There's a very cool post over on the Panic blog about an early iPod prototype they've been hanging on to for over 20 years.

https://panic.com/blog/a-prototype-original-ipod/

iPod-1-scaled.jpg

Edit: to give a sense of scale, that screen is roughly accurate to the size of the screen on the OG iPod.

minor incident on
  • Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    There's a very cool post over on the Panic blog about an early iPod prototype they've been hanging on to for over 20 years.

https://panic.com/blog/a-prototype-original-ipod/

iPod-1-scaled.jpg

Edit: to give a sense of scale, that screen is roughly accurate to the size of the screen on the OG iPod.

I read this as iPad like 10 times and was flabbergasted

• Options
    Hahah, I actually did the same thing.

• Options

L75cGHy.jpg

For anyone curious, you can turn this stupid thing off by going to General > Keyboard > Shortcuts.

• Options
    thatassemblyguythatassemblyguy Janitor of Technical Debt .Registered User regular
    I'm being a lazy git, and so if this was answered earlier in the thread, my apologies:

Has anyone done a comparison of Air Pods vs Over-the-ear headset (like a Sony WH-1000MX3/MX4) for noise cancellation on a plane?

• Options
    djmitchelladjmitchella Registered User regular
    Not quite that exact comparison -- I'm not on a plane, but my 'home office' is the laundry room, so I've been in meetings with washing machine / dryer running in the background, and I have bose 700nc's, not the Sony equivalent. That said, the difference is very very noticeable. If I set the Bose's to max cancellation it cuts out pretty much _all_ exterior sound to a genuinely surprising extent, whereas airpod (pro) muffle the sound, but it's still there.

Retrying it now, with the airpods set to max noise cancellation and nothing playing, I can still hear the rumble from the dryer though it's a lot fainter, and a rattling noise from something mysterious in the dryer that I should get around to fixing. If I listen to a podcast it's fine, they fade into the background -- I mostly use them for listening to podcasts while walking the dog to help reduce the noise of traffic when I'm by busier roads, and they absolutely do a good job there, but they're not magic.

With the 700's, the rumbling is entirely gone, the rattle is gone; with no audio playing I can just about hear the rattle if I try, and with audio playing it's next to impossible to hear anything external at all, it is honestly a bit spooky. As far as I know the sony equivalents are the same, the main difference I saw in reviews was that the Bose ones are better for people hearing my voice if I'm in a noisy place. (see spoiler for a caveat, though)

For just background engine noise on a plane, they would probably both be fine; heck, some $50 noise-cancelling headphones I got a while ago are okay for that. It's just stuff beyond a bass rumble where the differences are more noticeable.
    If you're going to use the Bose ones and pair them with a Windows machine, you have to only pair them with that machine, not anything else. Theoretically they can automatically switch between devices, but the problem is that if they're paired to an iphone and a windows machine, and the iphone is off, then every time Windows makes a sound, the headphones wake up, play their 'automatically pairing with device making sounds' bing, play the Windows sound, then a couple of seconds play their 'automatically unpairing' sound because it seems to want to default to the phone even if the phone isn't doing anything.

It is SUPER ANNOYING. So I wound up having to tell the headphones to forget everything they were paired to and only use them with Windows, which is actually fine, just something to be aware of if you were going to want to switch devices very often. (not sure how the Sony ones handle this sort of thing)

• Options
    Another factor to consider is just what form factor you prefer for planes. I get super clogged up ears when I wear over-ear headphones on planes, but IEMs prevent that from happening for me, so I prefer Airpod Pros for that reason.

• Options
    I'm being a lazy git, and so if this was answered earlier in the thread, my apologies:

Has anyone done a comparison of Air Pods vs Over-the-ear headset (like a Sony WH-1000MX3/MX4) for noise cancellation on a plane?

You're in luck, I have these exact widgets. (Pros/MX3 specifically.)

The Sonys win. Period. Hard stop, the Airpods are good, but they're not as good. The Sonys are "4 crying babies in the next row I didn't notice" good. I'd commute w/ the Airpods, sure thing, but if I want the outside world gone, it's the Sony cans.

• Options
    thatassemblyguythatassemblyguy Janitor of Technical Debt .Registered User regular
    Thanks, y'all.

I was hoping that I'd be able to ditch the over-the-ear headset when flying because the bulk of the case in my bag makes me grumpy when packing, but it seems like the benefits still outweigh the bulk.

• Options
    wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    yeah, nothing really replaces the physical seal of something covering your ears. I have the XM3s and the Samsung Galaxy Buds Pro and while I use the buds pro more, when I want better sound and better noise canceling, the sonys are the way to go.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar