As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Painting exhibition a thread

• Options
    H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    Mayday wrote: »
    I have just realised than there's an unused vent shaft running right next to my painting desk.
    Seems like I might hook up a fan to it, attach some pipes, a filter and then even a cardboard box would let me spray right in the room. Do you think this is a good idea? Anybody has experience with building something like that?

Is this in a house, condo, or an apartment? If the latter, you want to make absolutely sure that vent isn't leading somewhere you don't want the fumes to go.

If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    NipsNips He/Him Luxuriating in existential crisis.Registered User regular
    edited November 2021
    H3Knuckles wrote: »
    Mayday wrote: »
    I have just realised than there's an unused vent shaft running right next to my painting desk.
    Seems like I might hook up a fan to it, attach some pipes, a filter and then even a cardboard box would let me spray right in the room. Do you think this is a good idea? Anybody has experience with building something like that?

Is this in a house, condo, or an apartment? If the latter, you want to make absolutely sure that vent isn't leading somewhere you don't want the fumes to go.

Double check this, and if you're in the clear, I can show my vent system that I installed for my Glowforge (that's in the same interior room as my paint bench). I mean, I'll show it regardless, because sharing is fun!

I can post up pics and diagrams of my vent system later today.

Nips on
    JXUBxMxP0QndjQUEnTwTxOkfKmx8kWNvuc-FUtbSz_23_DAhGKe7W9spFKLXAtkpTBqM8Dt6kQrv-rS69Hi3FheL3fays2xTeVUvWR7g5UyLHnFA0frGk1BC12GYdOSRn9lbaJB-uH0htiLPJMrc9cSRsIgk5Dx7jg9K8rJVfG43lkeAWxTgcolNscW9KO2UZjKT8GMbYAFgFvu2TaMoLH8LBA5p2pm6VNYRsQK3QGjCsze1TOv2yIbCazmDwCHmjiQxNDf6LHP35msyiXo3CxuWs9Y8DQvJjvj10kWaspRNlWHKjS5w9Y0KLuIkhQKOxgaDziG290v4zBmTi-i7OfDz-foqIqKzC9wTbn9i_uU87GRitmrNAJdzRRsaTW5VQu_XX_5gCN8XCoNyu5RWWVGTsjJuyezz1_NpFa903Uj2TnFqnL1wJ-RZiFAAd2Bdut-G1pdQtdQihsq2dx_BjtmtGC3KZRyylO1t2c12dhfb0rStq4v8pg46ciOcdtT_1qm85IgUmGd7AmgLxCFPb0xnxWZvr26G-oXSqrQdjKA1zNIInSowiHcbUO2O8S5LRJVR6vQiEg0fbGXw4vqJYEn917tnzHMh8r0xom8BLKMvoFDelk6wbEeNq8w8Eyu2ouGjEMIvvJcb2az2AKQ1uE_7gdatfKG2QdvfdSBRSc35MQ=w498-h80-no
  • Options
    MaydayMayday Cutting edge goblin tech Registered User regular
    Yeah, it's my house, still not finished though. The vent goes right up to a chimney, I'm definitely in the clear in that regard. Looking forward to seeing your system!

• Options
    edited November 2021
    Okay! The system is pretty simple, but there's a couple things I've learned that are worth mentioning.

For the sake of effingLOLhuge pictures, I'mma just spoiler all this.
    So here's an overly-simple diagram of the vent situation I've built:
    aOe6NcHh.png

I have a Glowforge ("Equipment") that needs to vent its Fun Fumes. In the use case we're talking here, a paint booth replaces it. Now, depending on the distance of your vent run and some other variables, your booth may or may not need its own fan. You can try to do a bunch of fancy math to figure out static and kinetic air pressures and volumes and what not, math I'm convinced no one on the planet actually knows how it works, or you can experimentally trial-and-error this business. That part's up to you.

At any rate, more pictures:

Glowforge and Vertical Vent Pipe. I've used the aluminum-skin accordion-style pipe here just for ease of connection and disconnection at the machine, but it would be better served by a run of solid vent tube; the accordion-style stuff loses a lot of air velocity, so if you're venting over a very long run you'll want to avoid it where you can.
    ROGAXILh.jpg

Accordion-tube connected to a 45-degree connector to a solid vent tube (barely visible). My workspace is on a lower level, so the venting runs parallel with the floor joists (...mostly...).
    aesbz9Vh.jpg

The Horizontal Tubes on either side of the In-Line Fan. I'm using an AC Infinity Cloudline Series T6 In-Line Fan, which is maybe a bit of a overkill (it's a 6" inlet/outlet fan I've used reducers to connect to 4" tube), but I wanted to be absolutely sure the air was venting out of the house. Again, Fun Fumes. A simple paint booth using an airbrush probably won't need this level of OOMPH, but again, lots of variables about air flow and distance and cubic-feet-per-minute and whatnot.
    CFl9Ti5h.jpg

End of the run, with another accordion-style tube to the exterior vent cover of the house. I would have preferred to use a solid tube here for most of the run, but 1) it's a pretty short run and 2) getting a solid tube up in around that existing water/gas/electrical pipe and conduit, and then get it all connected right, would have been an absolute bear.
    xI4au3Zh.jpg

A couple more notes:
    -Depending on how your vent stack is going to actually exhaust to the exterior, you may need to consider having a backdraft blocker in the line of the vent tube somewhere. Basically, if there's any chance something might blow into your exhaust system while it's inactive, you'll want/need something to stop it. Including one does however reduce some airflow pressure in the system. I had one in my setup, but ended up taking it out because of where it was located and what else I was trying to accomplish with the system.
    -The required size of any in-line fan you use will really depend on the lengths of your vent tubing, and if you need to make any turns in the run. As a point of comparison, most typical bathroom vent fans run between 50 to 200 CFM (cubic-feet-per-minute, the amount of air they move) whereas this AC Infinity fan pulls 400 CFM. Again, maybe overkill, but what I didn't show in pictures is some really gnarly 90-degree turns I had to include to make things fit to accomplish what I was aiming for here.

At any rate, if you've got any questions about all that there, I'm happy to share what I know. I'm curious about this vent-to-chimney situation you're mentioning, that might require extra considerations.

Nips on
    JXUBxMxP0QndjQUEnTwTxOkfKmx8kWNvuc-FUtbSz_23_DAhGKe7W9spFKLXAtkpTBqM8Dt6kQrv-rS69Hi3FheL3fays2xTeVUvWR7g5UyLHnFA0frGk1BC12GYdOSRn9lbaJB-uH0htiLPJMrc9cSRsIgk5Dx7jg9K8rJVfG43lkeAWxTgcolNscW9KO2UZjKT8GMbYAFgFvu2TaMoLH8LBA5p2pm6VNYRsQK3QGjCsze1TOv2yIbCazmDwCHmjiQxNDf6LHP35msyiXo3CxuWs9Y8DQvJjvj10kWaspRNlWHKjS5w9Y0KLuIkhQKOxgaDziG290v4zBmTi-i7OfDz-foqIqKzC9wTbn9i_uU87GRitmrNAJdzRRsaTW5VQu_XX_5gCN8XCoNyu5RWWVGTsjJuyezz1_NpFa903Uj2TnFqnL1wJ-RZiFAAd2Bdut-G1pdQtdQihsq2dx_BjtmtGC3KZRyylO1t2c12dhfb0rStq4v8pg46ciOcdtT_1qm85IgUmGd7AmgLxCFPb0xnxWZvr26G-oXSqrQdjKA1zNIInSowiHcbUO2O8S5LRJVR6vQiEg0fbGXw4vqJYEn917tnzHMh8r0xom8BLKMvoFDelk6wbEeNq8w8Eyu2ouGjEMIvvJcb2az2AKQ1uE_7gdatfKG2QdvfdSBRSc35MQ=w498-h80-no
  • Options
    edited November 2021
    Nips wrote: »
    I'm curious about this vent-to-chimney situation you're mentioning, that might require extra considerations.
    I might have used the wrong word or this might be a matter of difference in typical ventilation methods. In my climate, the traditional method of ventilation is letting the air flow in through small slits in windows and letting it out through a small opening next to the ceiling that leads to a vertical ventilation shaft that goes out through the roof. Basically it looks like this (the vent opening next to the ceiling is not pictured here):
    c59ZHsM.png
    Although in this case I might do the opening low above the desk, to allow for quick attachment of the spray booth. In that case the accordion tube would be very short (or I'd use a solid/rigid vent tube, as you suggested), and I'd just keep the vent opening closed at other times (the fresh air is supposed to flow to vents located in the bathroom, to ensure the flow is maintained across the whole house).
    In this particular case the chimney contains two ventilation shafts and one smoke shaft for the fireplace located on the other side of the wall.

Mayday on
  • Options
    Oh man, that's wild. I'd have to research more to understand how to hook into that without disturbing some other element of its operation.

In something more broadly appealing, I finished another model! This one's only been on my bench for a month(?), because I had a burning desire to knock it out.

It turns out, I am highly motivated by metallic purple paint.

A Starsiege Rebellion Cybrid Adjudicator, for your eye candy consumption.

psMImaVh.jpg

vUN8RR6h.jpg

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
  • Options
    Hey y'all, looking for some input. I'm trying to put together a heavy body wash as a substitute to buying Basilicanum Grey Contrast paint for a scheme I'm aiming for. For those of you that have used the Contrast paint before, how do these test pieces look to you? Never having used Contrast, I can only judge by what I see online and I'm not sure if I'm hitting the mark with this wash.

White Vallejo Primer on the left, same on the right but also topcoated with Gloss Varnish before applying the wash.

GU4ZnIph.jpg

A few more pics in the spoiler for different lights/angles and lolhuge.
    aItv3LW.jpg
    GzjSx1y.jpg
    d5HPfbl.jpeg
    owWqQ3m.jpeg
    aGEuCK3.jpeg

• Options
    Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular
    edited November 2021
    Look pretty dang good to me!

Varnished one slightly better contrast for raised / recessed areas

Gnome-Interruptus on
    steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski
  • Options
    novaspikenovaspike Registered User regular
    Yeah I think you've hit the contrast effect.

• Options
    NechriahNechriah Chookity!Registered User regular
    Hey so if some plastic glue were to ooze out from between the two parts I’m pressing together and get onto the rest of the mini, how big a deal is that? Will primer more or less cover that up or will it be super obvious? Is there a way to clean it off?

z6705utxg91c.jpeg

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Nechriah wrote: »
    Hey so if some plastic glue were to ooze out from between the two parts I’m pressing together and get onto the rest of the mini, how big a deal is that? Will primer more or less cover that up or will it be super obvious? Is there a way to clean it off?

Get a sanding sponge if you need to clean it up
    I would look and see if you need to sand it down if after you prime it

• Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited November 2021
    I hadn't painted in literal years but my local gaming group (ex-Warmachine/ex-X-Wing players) jumped on Marvel Crisis Protocol like starving hyenas and I got The Urge. Luckily all the Warcolours I dragged up were at worst partially dried up, my Raphael 8404s were capped and in good shape, and my hands... well, my hands are as shaky as ever, but that's nothing a beer can't solve*! I'm not the biggest Marvel fan, but the models are rewarding to paint, have a wide variety of different schemes and styles, and you only need 10 for a full roster.

khpo91pbzwfu.jpg
    efvkyvqwnejd.jpg
    0bmtluscx5ai.jpg
    iyrhx9ys1btu.jpg

I'm currently working on this model but I find the official scheme dull as hell, don't really like metallic paints, and don't want to paint that much NMM, so I got really ambitious and decided to paint it in the style of Unit-01. It has a long way to go, but so far it's not a disaster!

*am I the only one? Maybe it's my caffeine habit, but a single drink is the perfect antidote to shaky hands for me.

admanb on
  • Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    USA Airbrush supply is having a big black friday pre-sale. 30% off a ton of stuff. I can get a big compressor with tank, air line and cleaning kit for like $300 w/ $60 shipping, when it would retail for just shy of $450. Its VERY tempting.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    DocSamsonDocSamson Registered User regular
    I wound up painting more than 2000 points by doing everything in Dominion but finally finished a complete, usable 2k list. I guess my desk isn't well lit enough to cover a whole army. Spoilered the additional units and stuff I hadn't shared on here.

MB2FMAZ.jpg
    eKXJEZU.jpg
    9cLNLna.jpg
    B4vbmz3.jpg
    BY0NG5v.jpg
    dDD27SN.jpg

I think I'm going to paint up Bastian and a couple more Dracothian guard for alternate list options but no rush on that.

• Options
    WatcherWatcher Registered User regular
    Admanb, I REALLY like your Red Skull and Bullseye! Bring On The Bad Guys. Nicely done.

• Options
    Knocked out another stompy bot for my buddy, this time using it as a test piece for a camo I'm going to do using that heavy body wash I made.

I'm not sure how well it reads, but there's dark grey bands circling the limbs and torso. I think I might need to push them to a darker grey, or go lighter on the wash in those spots/all over...or...or.... Not sure, needs investigation.

Regardless, this one's done.

MgQm1ujl.jpg

• Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    Looks like a mech statue!

• Options
    VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    8vryqoc3q7cy.jpeg
    w28pun40zusb.jpeg

Put a bunch of death guard I needed to paint on the table last Monday - finished today l.

Favorite of the bunch are the Lord of Virulence and Contemptor.

1 model left before I’m ready for the tournament.

• Options
    KoregKoreg Registered User regular
    Road Haulin' Necrons for fun

The necron can be removed from back during play via magnets on the bottom!

unknown.png

If, if Reagan played disco He'd shoot it to shit You can't disco in Jackboots
  • Options
    I did it

sla2l2ma84hy.jpg
    sw9qvoh34lfb.jpg
    r7768k8nvmfv.jpg

• Options
    McGibsMcGibs TorontoRegistered User regular
    Get in the Ultron, Shinji!

website_header.jpg
  • Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    I don't know what that is, but I'm getting major Phantasy Star Online vibes from it.

Imagine a PSO tabletop game. Imagine the pain of having to paint 300 bright yellow/white Rag Rappies.

• Options
    H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    edited November 2021
    @SmokeStacks It's an Ultron (robot villain) mini for a Marvel skirmish miniatures game, painted like the main character Shinji Ikari's giant 'robot', EVA-01, from the anime Neon Genesis Evangelion.

If you've seen Pacific Rim, the basic scenario is pretty similar to NGE; world got messed up by giant monsters from somewhere else, rebuilding humanity created giant humanoid things to defend against future monster attacks. Except in Eva, only kids born after '2nd Impact' occurred can make the sci-fi 'not calling it magic but it's magic' work, so watch as several early teenagers who were raised to be pawns in a conflict they don't understand struggle with the resulting trauma.

H3Knuckles on
    If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    I'm uhhh, a little behind on the Marvel movies. The last one I saw was the first Guardians of the Galaxy.

Looks great though. Purple is a very underutilized color in miniature painting.

• Options
    edited November 2021
    Ultron is actually a super old-school Avengers villain in the comics. I think Age of Ultron was the second Avengers film? I haven't seen it yet either, oddly enough. Kind of missed a bunch of the MCU movies in the middle, got back into them with GotG, Thor Ragnarok, Black Panther, and have seen a lot more of the newer ones.

Yeah, the EVA color schemes are all pretty great, but it was interesting that they made the main one you'd see the most often use such an uncommon palette for that kind of anime. Pretty sure it was an intentional subversion of how often the 'good guys' stick to red, yellow, blue & white. NGE was all about that kind of thing.

H3Knuckles on
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    Age of Ultron was thoroughly missable. Ultron is a cool villain as both a testament to man’s hubris and an unknowable AI but his color scheme has always just been “metal man” so… very uninspiring.

I briefly considered wussing out and going with 02’s scheme but I’m glad I didn’t. I have a Unit-01 Gunpla assembled and sitting on a shelf above my desk so like… who would I be if I didn’t go with that?

As a bonus, there are a few more models in my queue that use purple as a significant color (Kingpin, and Mysterio who actually uses the same green/purple scheme) so I’m ready to paint those.

• Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    Only part of that movie worth anyone's time is Spader's voice acting

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    Hey, painting thread; a question. Does anyone know of any good secure cases for Vallejo-size paints?

See I just got one of Citadel’s paint boxes and it’s actually kinda amazing to store up to 60 paints like that in a way that they won’t fall out or over or whatever. So I want the same but for the other half of my collection. Is such a thing out there somewhere?

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    bobAkirafettbobAkirafett Registered User regular
    edited November 2021
    Mr_Rose wrote: »
    Hey, painting thread; a question. Does anyone know of any good secure cases for Vallejo-size paints?

See I just got one of Citadel’s paint boxes and it’s actually kinda amazing to store up to 60 paints like that in a way that they won’t fall out or over or whatever. So I want the same but for the other half of my collection. Is such a thing out there somewhere?

You can look for essential oil cases, or the reaper paint caddy, or even tattoo ink cases for ideas.

bobAkirafett on
    akirasig.jpg
  • Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    Cool, that tattoo ink case looks great and I would never have thought to look in that direction.

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    Ironically the linked one is branded GWCASE :)

• Options
    So I've been busy the past month. I was asked to do up the Indomitus Box in a Blood Angels theme! Lots of dismembered necrons on the basing!

6c8c35o1acs7.png
    7eaiolhogof1.png
    ny7ci2q0qylc.png
    7rbil67b0iic.png
    zdee3jqyxxpo.png
    ka3n6iefjn7j.png
    92e3bch3362f.png
    nhm34dyet1bh.png
    nbi1pnb5lxmf.png
    k76nozx3gzjb.png

• Options
    Wow, those guys look GRIM!

• Options
    Decided to change up the gold recipe on my Custodes for one dreadnought and now I like it enough it makes me want to re-do the army.

Old dreadnought from 5 or 6 years ago on the left, new on the right. Also painted up some Aquilon terminators in the same style to go with him:

g51Ar7T.jpg

qh7PMr3.jpg

Guess I'll be stripping a few models.

• Options
    I love that gold. What did you use?

• Options
    Koreg wrote: »
    I love that gold. What did you use?

The old method followed the GW recipe: Retributor armour, Reikland Fleshshade wash, layer Auric Armour and then highlight with Liberator Gold. For the new one I still did Retributor/Reikland but then just a heavy drybrush of Liberator. Basically the same thing I was doing with my Stormcast but gold instead of bronze, I just like the effect.

I highlighted with Stormhost Silver but its kind of haphazard, wherever I randomly thought it would look good because it was quickly overwhelming the gold. There's probably a better choice in hindsight.

• Options
    KhraulKhraul Registered User regular
    edited November 2021
    This is bugging the hell out of me

What's the game with all the character sets that are cute humanoid animals dressed as dnd style characters? I was thinking of grabbing some at one point and cannot remember what they're called.

Khraul on
    Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • Options
    McGibsMcGibs TorontoRegistered User regular
    Super Dungeon Explore?

website_header.jpg
  • Options
    ironsizideironsizide You must whip it Registered User regular
    Dungeons & Doggies and Cats & Catacombs?

|_
    Oo\ Ironsizide
    camo_sig2.png
This discussion has been closed.