As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The [Elden Ring] Has Shattered (CLOSED SPOILERS)

• ED!ED! Registered User regular
    Surfpossum wrote: »
    I have a question:

I'm assuming this will have at least Dark Souls style co-op but is there any info on whether it will be more possible to actually play through it cooperatively or if it will still be more like taking turns to progress your own game?

There are passwords for connecting to someones game, however it seems like it is the same "Kill boss and despawn. . ." mechanic. Be nice if just straight up persistent co-op would be added (or a welcome surprise if it is already there).

"Get the hell out of me" - [ex]girlfriend
  • DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    Zavian wrote: »
    Karl wrote: »
    Has there been any mention of PC system requirements or is the closed network test console only?

Unfortunately no mention of PC requirements yet; the current closed network test is console only

doesn't seem all that more graphically demanding than DS3. Might be a good idea to install it on a fast drive since it's open world.

• jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    edited November 2021
    Has there been any mention of PC system requirements or is the closed network test console only?

Console only, no mention of PC reqs.

Have a feeling if it's 30 FPS at 4k with the shinies on a PS5, it'll be fairly light PC requirements. A PS5 has got something like half the raw power of a 3070, and unless you're running a 4K you should be able to max this thing out with a fairly decent video card (2070 or so) with some settings tweaks.

Doubly so if it ends up having DLSS.

jungleroomx on
  • ZavianZavian universal peace sounds better than forever war Registered User regular
    With it being able to run on PS4/X1 seemingly well I'm assuming it should scale pretty well on PC, though no RTX at launch is a bit of a disappointment (to be fair, it could be a day one patch, I don't think they've announced specifics)

• jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    edited November 2021
    DanHibiki wrote: »

Unfortunately no mention of PC requirements yet; the current closed network test is console only

doesn't seem all that more graphically demanding than DS3. Might be a good idea to install it on a fast drive since it's open world.

I can already tell the textures, world geometry, and character models are a lot more detailed than DS3, plus its an open world game with Fromsofts usual detail intact from what I've heard. I think it's going to be as demanding as DS3 was when it came out in 2016 for then current gen PC's, especially with raytracing enabled.

jungleroomx on
    With it being able to run on PS4/X1 seemingly well I'm assuming it should scale pretty well on PC, though no RTX at launch is a bit of a disappointment (to be fair, it could be a day one patch, I don't think they've announced specifics)

Honestly, DS3 ran (if I remember) pretty well for me when it first came out. Jumping over to the PC when it finally released in the US was an obvious jump but I think they've done a good job with their engines. I feel like PC is going to be able to chew this up and spit it out. I'm going to wait and see about console performance, from people who are REALLY going to put the game through its paces (e.g. Digital Foundry) but from the FC video, PS5 looks preeeeeety good (suggesting PC should be straight up solid with no need for DURANTE to fix their game).

High fidelity graphics have never been a big priority for From Soft since, DS1 i think, after that their games have relied more on good art direction rather than top of the line shaders/effects. Makes their games a lot easier to port and run on older hardware.

Just remember, if you're on PC you always have the option to lower texture resolutions.

• ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    edited November 2021
    forget the beta gameplay videos that are focused on useless nonsense like "this is how bonfires work" or "these are the new gameplay systems"

this is the video telling you all the good shit you actually wanna know, like "how does poise work now" and "is there a penalty for not wearing armor again"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vJpqBpZACkg

Elendil on
  • AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    Is there a cliff notes summary?

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    Aegeri wrote: »

I know I'm an old when I just can't bring myself to watch...wait, what it's fifty two fucking minutes long?

Yeah is there a bullet point sheet out there?

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • McFodderMcFodder Registered User regular
    I've never played a Souls game but this looks pretty dang cool so I now have a preorder (can always cancel later).

I've got access to Bloodborne through the PS+ Collection, do I add that to my backlog now to help decide if I want to add this to my backlog later?

Switch Friend Code: SW-3944-9431-0318
    PSN / Xbox / NNID: Fodder185
  • NosfNosf Registered User regular
    MegaMan001 wrote: »

I know I'm an old when I just can't bring myself to watch...wait, what it's fifty two fucking minutes long?

52 minutes? Yo dawg, check out this 10 hour Cyberpunk review. I don't give a shit about spoilers, so have been skimming reddit but have yet to see a post with a decently full list. If I come across one, I'll post here under a spoiler tag, I'm sure one will pop over the next day or two.

Key points are, it's an open world dark souls game with a jump button.

Poise is back, stun locking is reduced, can't poise through hits to score easy backstabs in pvp, DS2 style two weapon fighting is back, you can Joust and generally fight on horseback but getting knocked off the horse leaves you prone for a really long time, sorcery and faith seem way more viable now, and you can shoot a bow while jumping.

• CruorCruor Registered User regular
    DanHibiki wrote: »
    Key points are, it's an open world dark souls game with a jump button.

Poise is back, stun locking is reduced, can't poise through hits to score easy backstabs in pvp, DS2 style two weapon fighting is back, you can Joust and generally fight on horseback but getting knocked off the horse leaves you prone for a really long time, sorcery and faith seem way more viable now, and you can shoot a bow while jumping.

Will add - weapon skills drop from bosses/mini-bosses/chests and can be equipped to weapons, replacing the infusion system. Some weapon skills are restricted to certain types of weapons (ie only equipable on slashing weapons).

More attack animations - normal attacks have at least four attack animations that string into a combo. General rule is larger weapons have four animations, and light weapons like daggers have six.

You can have a customizable flask that has certain effects, like in one of the videos you could mix crafting materials to make a flask heal you then make you explode, causing damage to yourself but way more to an enemy.

edited November 2021
    I've heard that sorcs and pyro (whatever their equivalent are) are stupid strong. Like, might be nerfed before release strong.

Unless From is really pushing away from Dex being the best build type (Strength is also Vitality in ER) from DS3.

jungleroomx on
  • ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    edited November 2021
    Also you can refill your flask "in the field" by beating up certain full encounters of enemies, instead of always needing to go back to a bonfire.

Elvenshae on
  • NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    I've heard that sorcs and pyro (whatever their equivalent are) are stupid strong. Like, might be nerfed before release strong.

Unless From is really pushing away from Dex being the best build type (Strength is also Vitality in ER) from DS3.

I don't think we should take too many assumptions about balance from the online demo in terms of stats/spells. Esp as there'll be far more spells and weapons yet to come in the full game. Mechanical stuff like poise, backstabs, the invader respawn tools, sure; but stuff like spell/stat scaling and what not we're only getting part of the picture here.

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • CruorCruor Registered User regular
    I'm glad they put in the effort to make magic and miracles and such look very cool. I'm hoping that someone took the time in the pre-network test build to find and try out all of the magic to make a compilation of them all.

• EmperorSethEmperorSeth Registered User regular
    I was wondering if they had an off-brand Pyromancy in this game or reduced it to the more traditional Arcane/Divine magic.

How much of GRR Martin's influence is in the game? The demo I saw didn't have anything leap out at me.

You know what? Nanowrimo's cancelled on account of the world is stupid.
    edited November 2021
    I was wondering if they had an off-brand Pyromancy in this game or reduced it to the more traditional Arcane/Divine magic.

How much of GRR Martin's influence is in the game? The demo I saw didn't have anything leap out at me.

Apparently they’ve kept the Sorcery/Pyromancy split, but I think the Pyro stuff swallowed Miracles up.

Not 100% sure on that

The GRRM influence is still tbd, the story beats and whatnot.

jungleroomx on
    edited November 2021
    Double

jungleroomx on
  • DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    edited November 2021
    My biggest question for myself now seeing how fuckin RAD these new weapon skills are...

Do I stick with one big sword?

Have two big swords for the potential of 2 different options for special skill?

Or do something I have never done... use a sword and a shield? Also access to two different special skills...

Any which way it goes I know I'm deffo going STR build.(pending a some rad as skill making me want to dip into a secondary dmg stat since the skills are linked to how your weapon scales)

The fact that STR is also LOAD in this does make the idea of not using a shield once again extra interesting since that should make it much easier to get to a fast roll and if I'm rolling what need do I have for a shield?

I love how much this game already has me thinking about builds..

DemonStacey on

saw one youtuber say sorcery felt weak (as contrasted with miracles)

it looked nice tho

problem with weight scaling on strength is quality builds are probably still a thing so you can still go heavy boy with a longsword but with poise still not being DS1 cheesy and R1 spam nerfed maybe it's fine

yeah i don't know where i'm leaning build wise. kumo is a strong possibility. halberd depends on what the halberd moveset is; if it's the standard DS3 with spin2win i'm not on board but if we get one or more with different movesets i might roll with that. might do spears.

powerstancing being in changes a lot of the math tho. i'm always on board with double scimitars or katanas.

• MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    Nosf wrote: »

52 minutes? Yo dawg, check out this 10 hour Cyberpunk review. I don't give a shit about spoilers, so have been skimming reddit but have yet to see a post with a decently full list. If I come across one, I'll post here under a spoiler tag, I'm sure one will pop over the next day or two.

Hey guys it's your boy megaman001 playing ELDEN RING? I've got all the deets you want on how the game plays, but don't forget to SMASH THAT LIKE AND SUBSCRIBE BUTTON DOWN BELOW!

Sponsored by Skillshare

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    My biggest question for myself now seeing how fuckin RAD these new weapon skills are...

Do I stick with one big sword?

Have two big swords for the potential of 2 different options for special skill?

Or do something I have never done... use a sword and a shield? Also access to two different special skills...

Any which way it goes I know I'm deffo going STR build.(pending a some rad as skill making me want to dip into a secondary dmg stat since the skills are linked to how your weapon scales)

The fact that STR is also LOAD in this does make the idea of not using a shield once again extra interesting since that should make it much easier to get to a fast roll and if I'm rolling what need do I have for a shield?

I love how much this game already has me thinking about builds..

Apparently, there are 3 equip slots per hand, so plenty of options to change around.

• DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    And the one true most important bit of info to help decide..

What is the coolest looking Sword/Skill and what stats does it scale on?

Because that will totally have a big impact on what I end up doing.

Like if the coolest weapon/skill combo is quality you know that's where I'm going. Or maybe there's a hella rad INT skill that makes me dip...

And if the coolest sword is a longsword it could make me lean towards shields... if it's a big sword then fuck them shields time to smash!

• ZavianZavian universal peace sounds better than forever war Registered User regular
    NGL I might pick up a physical guidebook for this game

• augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    [The GRRM influence is still tbd, the story beats and whatnot.

The thing is that Miyazaki is already so good at Western style fantasy that I don't think it will be easy to tell what parts are GRRM or From.

Is someone making one?

I always prefer a book for reference instead of trying to flip through 5 different poorly optimized websites filled with shitty ads to look up basic info..

But so few games get them anymore.

edited November 2021

Is someone making one?

I always prefer a book for reference instead of trying to flip through 5 different poorly optimized websites filled with shitty ads to look up basic info..

But so few games get them anymore.

there is an "Adventure Guide" available with the pre-order (including digitally) but I'm assuming it won't be as in-depth as other guidebooks available at launch like one from Prima possibly

this was mentioned a few pages ago but here are the physical pre-order editions:

T0Jtkkx.jpg
    Physical copy of the game
    9-inch statue of Malenia The Blade of Miquella
    Exclusive SteelBook
    40-page hardcover art book
    Digital soundtrack
    Adventure Guide
    Bonus gesture

Elden-Ring-Premium-Collectors-Edition-890x520-1.jpg
    Physical copy of the game
    Official Malenia helmet replica at 1:1 scale
    9-inch statue of Malenia The Blade of Miquella
    Exclusive SteelBook
    40-page hardcover art book
    Digital soundtrack
    Adventure Guide
    Bonus gesture

Zavian on

Apparently they’ve kept the Sorcery/Pyromancy split, but I think the Pyro stuff swallowed Miracles up.

Not 100% sure on that

The GRRM influence is still tbd, the story beats and whatnot.

Sorceries and Pyromancies are all under the same umbrella. It looks like the split is back to DS1 Sorceries and Miracles which I'm fine with. What this means for Hexes and the like, not sure. Probably not even in the game (or at least not in the same way as it was in DS2).

Nosf wrote: »

Hey guys it's your boy megaman001 playing ELDEN RING? I've got all the deets you want on how the game plays, but don't forget to SMASH THAT LIKE AND SUBSCRIBE BUTTON DOWN BELOW!

Sponsored by Skillshare
    it goes through bullet points at a brisk clip and dumps all the important info in the first 20 minutes or so but go off, i guess

Oh yea that is most certainly not an actual strategy guide. Either just a basic game thing or one of those early game things they tells you where some stuff is in the first little section.

As far as I can tell no one has announced an actual strategy guide yet.

Here's hoping! But I'm certainly not holding my breath. If one pops up I'll pre-order it in a heartbeat.

Oh yea that is most certainly not an actual strategy guide. Either just a basic game thing or one of those early game things they tells you where some stuff is in the first little section.

As far as I can tell no one has announced an actual strategy guide yet.

Here's hoping! But I'm certainly not holding my breath. If one pops up I'll pre-order it in a heartbeat.

dark souls game guides are pricey used so I would do the same pre-ordering an Elden Ring one. I'm guessing we won't see one for pre-order until a month or two before launch, usually Gamestop stocks them when big name games launch. I love guides for deep open world games with huge maps, still have my Fallout 3 guide

• Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    I hadn't been following Elden Ring closely enough so I didn't realize there was a server technical in time to sign up for it, unfortunately.

Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
    some more official basic info has come out, which I've also added to OP:
    Trg64nK.jpg4CQ5Ihu.jpg
    hpY17vY.jpgFq9X2Ta.jpg

• Andy JoeAndy Joe We claim the land for the highlord! The AdirondacksRegistered User regular
    Wonder if there will be environmental impacts on boss fights, like using different movesets between night and day.

XBL: Stealth Crane PSN: ajpet12 3DS: 1160-9999-5810 NNID: StealthCrane Pokemon Scarlet Name: Carmen
    DA7jCZr.jpgEe1hC6o.jpg
    EjXKVKq.jpgeTPQ2NK.jpg

This discussion has been closed.