As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[NFL] Thread: Denver Gets That Tall Pocket Passer They've Been Missing

• Options
    marajimaraji Registered User regular
    Shadowhope wrote: »
    Sorce wrote: »
    The camo stuff is so lazy. Take inspiration from other uniforms! Put the Ravens in Civil War Union inspired uniforms, put the Dolphins in Revolutionary War Patriot inspired uniforms!
    The day a Dolphin dresses like a Patriot is a day they burn in HELL.

How do you feel about this?

2x8c99gip2ku.jpeg

As a Vikings fan my first reaction was "Wait, why is Chicago on there?" because sometimes I forget they're even in our division.

Just to jog your memory, they would be the team that knocked you out of the playoffs 2 out of the last 3 years.

To be fair, there were seven or eight other teams that helped that happen each of those years.

• Options
    SixSix Caches Tweets in the mainframe cyberhex Registered User regular
    zepherin wrote: »
    Six wrote: »
    Are the rams going to the super bowl? They are pretty good, but they are not a buzz saw just going through teams.

+800 along with AZ vs Tompa’s +550. They’re about as good a bet as any from the NFC.
    I suppose, but I think the Ravens, Cardinals, and Tompa are better by quite a bit.

They don’t need to go through the ravens to get to the super bowl, though. None of those teams may have been interested, either.

can you feel the struggle within?
  • Options
    RedTideRedTide Registered User regular
    Ticaldfjam wrote: »
    Marathon wrote: »
    Trajan45 wrote: »
    I guess he'd rather chase a ring rather than get a ton of reps as a showcase for next year.

Smart play at this stage of his career

He's 29.

Odell should've joined up with Dak on Dallas.

This is violence

RedTide#1907 on Battle.net
    Come Overwatch with meeeee
  • Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    Are the rams going to the super bowl? They are pretty good, but they are not a buzz saw just going through teams.

+800 along with AZ vs Tompa’s +550. They’re about as good a bet as any from the NFC.
    I suppose, but I think the Ravens, Cardinals, and Tompa are better by quite a bit.

They don’t need to go through the ravens to get to the super bowl, though. None of those teams may have been interested, either.
    I forgot that Ravens are AFC.

• Options
    MarathonMarathon Registered User regular
    Marathon wrote: »
    I guess he'd rather chase a ring rather than get a ton of reps as a showcase for next year.

Smart play at this stage of his career

He's 29.

Yeah, so he’s probably got 3-4 years left. He was drafted in 2014, so he’s already had a long career by NFL standards. The stars may not align with a chance to compete for a Super Bowl again.

• Options
    Trajan45Trajan45 Registered User regular

And the Card's have to hope Kyler can make it to the end of the season in 1 piece. He's already injured.

Origin ID\ Steam ID: Warder45
  • Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    edited November 2021
    Sorce wrote: »
    The camo stuff is so lazy. Take inspiration from other uniforms! Put the Ravens in Civil War Union inspired uniforms, put the Dolphins in Revolutionary War Patriot inspired uniforms!
    The day a Dolphin dresses like a Patriot is a day they burn in HELL.

How do you feel about this?

2x8c99gip2ku.jpeg

As a Vikings fan my first reaction was "Wait, why is Chicago on there?" because sometimes I forget they're even in our division.

Just to jog your memory, they would be the team that knocked you out of the playoffs 2 out of the last 3 years.

We shouldn't have been anywhere near the playoffs 2 out of the last 3 years :lol:

HappylilElf on
  • Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    The POW flag surprises me.

Because of how it’s historically been used to push conspiracy theories, or some other reason?

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Jesus is this score for real? 3-6? That's like orioles vs marlins.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Preacher wrote: »
    My Beloved Orioles. They are not good.

• Options
    MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    edited November 2021

I've been half-watching it (Dolphins were never going to get my fullest attention), the Dolphins D is doing a fairly good job, and outside of two busted plays, the Ravens D has shut down the Fish.

It's been a pretty uninspiring game, which is frustrating, because I was hoping that the Ravens would separate, rather than being brought down to the Dolphins level.

EDIT : Buck just mentioned that it's 86% humidity. Yeah, I wouldn't be interested in a brisk walk, let alone playing foobaw, in that kind of wet.

ADDIT: I was going to say Brissett was having a good game in the first half. Looks like he just fucked up his knee bad in the first minute of the second, Tua likely to play out the rest of the game.

ADDIT+: Looks like Brissett isn't fully fucked up (he walked off, and is looking to return), but the way he grabbed his knee and the look on his face, I feared it was ambulance ride time.

MorganV on
  • Options
    Yeah the Ravens are playing like shit tonight.

• Options
    TicaldfjamTicaldfjam Snoqualmie, WARegistered User regular
    edited November 2021

We Hawks fans are gonna hold on to our butts in the off season.

Because the Rumors of, "Trade Russ for Tua" are gonna start gaining ground, especially if the Seahawks lose in the Wild Card.

Fucking Vulcans.

Ticaldfjam on
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular

Because the Rumors of, "Trade Russ for Tua" are gonna start gaining ground, especially if the Seahawks lose in the Wild Card.

Fucking Vulcans.

You think the seahawks make the playoffs?

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    TicaldfjamTicaldfjam Snoqualmie, WARegistered User regular

Fucking Vulcans.

I think they barely squeeze in, but no home field at. , ugh, , "Lumen Field", means automatic exit from the wild card. Except Atlanta, of course.

• Options
    edited November 2021
    Miami right guard catches a pass (ineligible receiver), takes it in in what is perhaps the best "touchdown that never was", including a reach across the plane while completely inverted, then landing on his head.

I get that that's the rule (O-Line can't receive), but I'm sad for that player that's the case.

EDITADDIT:

*video of said play*
    - Billy Heyen is somebody with a checkmark.

EDITEDIT:

*image of said play*
    - Ben Solak is a writer for the Ringer.

Putting the original still image back, as while it doesn't tell the whole story like the video does, it encapsulates the beauty of the play much better.

MorganV on
  • Options
    Trajan45Trajan45 Registered User regular
    Why can’t o-line receive? Doesn’t seem like that much of an advantage.

Origin ID\ Steam ID: Warder45
  • Options

One argument would mean that "intentional grounding" would almost never happen.

• Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular

Because it would be impossible for the defense to function if every player were an eligible receiver. You'd have to cover everyone, there would be no pass rush, it'd be super boring.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    It’s so the defense can line up appropriate defenders with the eligibile receivers. If everyone was eligible always. It would make it harder for the defense.

• Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    It’s so the defense can line up appropriate defenders with the eligibile receivers. If everyone was eligible always. It would make it harder for the defense.

Why should that stop anyone? Hell, just make every defensive penalty an automatic first down.

• Options
    One rule I’d like to see changed is the nit-picky bullshit about where the receivers have to stand on/off the line

“Oh you stepped forward six inches and that makes the next guy over ineligible”

Fuuuck you

Just make it so everyone except the 5 linemen are always eligible, that way there’s no ambiguity over who the defense has to cover and we don’t waste time trying to figure out if the slot receiver is covering up the tight end.

• Options

Why should that stop anyone? Hell, just make every defensive penalty an automatic first down.

It's not? :)

I don't think any defensive penalty should be an automatic first down. If it's sufficient yardage to be so, it's a first down. But third and 37 should very rarely become a 1st and 10 from a single penalty.

Much like few offensive penalties result in loss of down.

• Options
    Aren’t most “automatic first down” penalties that way because it’s usually a spot foul that gets called, like holding or interference?

And even then it’s not much of a deterrent because a first down at the spot of the foul is still better than giving up a TD

• Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    Think of how many automatic first down penalties there are compared to loss of down penalties.

• Options
    CarpyCarpy Registered User regular
    The weird quantum state of an offensive dead ball foul after gaining a first down, they get moved back the penalty yardage but it's still 1st and 10 at the new spot.

• Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    Most “auto first down” penalties are that way because they’re fowls that have large upsides on the back end but there isn’t a way to determine it at the call. A defensive hold as an example might mean preventing a huge breakaway or it might not. So if you’re a defender and knew the penalty was light but no first down you would be able to more easily determine when it was reasonable to take the penalty

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    Think of how many automatic first down penalties there are compared to loss of down penalties.

A pump fake should be treated like a balk is in baseball

• Options
    borschevskyborschevsky Registered User regular
    The thing about that Miami O Line touchdown is that it was actually the smart play. It was third down, so if he had ignored the pass or not made any yards, it would’ve been 4th down. But because he scored, Baltimore was forced to accept the penalty and Miami got another 3rd down play.

• Options
    Atlas in ChainsAtlas in Chains Registered User regular
    knitdan wrote: »
    One rule I’d like to see changed is the nit-picky bullshit about where the receivers have to stand on/off the line

“Oh you stepped forward six inches and that makes the next guy over ineligible”

Fuuuck you

Just make it so everyone except the 5 linemen are always eligible, that way there’s no ambiguity over who the defense has to cover and we don’t waste time trying to figure out if the slot receiver is covering up the tight end.

I get where you are coming from if you are a fan watching on TV. However, the Defense reads those indents like braille. There is a lot of information that otherwise has to be memorized in the form of jersey numbers. Besides, the Offense gets enough advantages these days, the least they can do is correctly perform the somantic component.

• Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular

Fucking Vulcans.

7 teams get in now:
    Cowboys
    Bucs
    Packers
    Cardinals
    Rams

The NFC is bad enough that I do not see 2 other teams finishing better than Seattle here. Like we’re scraping into Falcons/Vikings territory here.

• Options

Fucking Vulcans.

7 teams get in now:
    Cowboys
    Bucs
    Packers
    Cardinals
    Rams

The NFC is bad enough that I do not see 2 other teams finishing better than Seattle here. Like we’re scraping into Falcons/Vikings territory here.

I figure the Saints are the likely sixth (they're two games ahead, with nine to play, and have the first tiebreak with their win over Seattle). While they have a harder looking schedule than the Vikings or Seahawks, I can't see them dropping a net three games over the Seahawks, or two over the Vikings (maybe three depending on tiebreaks)

But the teams ahead of Seattle at the moment are Vikings, Panthers, Falcons. Only the Vikings are a real risk there, tied at the same 3-5, and have the tiebreak due to Week 3.

Seattle have the Packers, Rams, and the Cardinals twice, including the last game, which might be Cardinal irrelevant, and five games against clearly worse opponents (WFT, 49ers, Texans, Bears, Lions).

Vikings have Chargers, Packers twice, and the Rams, but IMO, their remaining five games are slightly harder (49ers, Lions, Steelers, Bears twice), and the Packers aren't likely to have the same "nothing to play for" in Week 17 that the Cardinals do for the Seahawks in Week 18.

To be fair, both teams are more than capable of stepping up against superior teams, and dropping teams against losing teams.

At this point, I figure it's a coinflip for which team makes it, and I wouldn't write out the Falcons (if Patterson develops more) or Panthers (if Cam isn't garbage and MCM is decent). I doubt either will make it past the Wildcard round, they're just not good enough, but they've both got a game on both. But more insane things have happened.

Betting has it as Seahawks 3.25, Falcons 3.50, Vikings 4.00, Panthers 9.00.

Regarding my first para, Saints are at 1.40.

The only other teams that aren't shorter odds than the Saints, or longer odds than the Panthers, are the 49ers at 3.25 (which seems more punter faithful than realistic odds), and the Eagles 6.00 (which I don't get, at least not in comparison to the Panthers, unless the Cam news shakes that up pretty good*).

* Note, again, I don't think the Panthers are good. But they're not worse than the Eagles IMO.

Side note, Lions are 500:1 to make the playoffs. You couldn't pay me to make that bet.

• Options
    edited November 2021
    The Saints QB is Trevor Siemian, I wouldn’t be too confident about them

The Vikings lost their best defender too

The Panthers are frauds and do we trust the Falcons in the back half of anything

Captain Inertia on
  • Options
    edited November 2021
    The NFC is 3.5 championship contenders floating above a sea of shit

The AFC is comprised of 12 legit good teams but none great, vying to be sacrificed in SoFi

Captain Inertia on
  • Options
    The Saints QB is Trevor Siemian, I wouldn’t be too confident about them

The Vikings lost their best defender too, but they do have the benefit of an easier schedule

The Panthers are frauds and do we trust the Falcons in the back half of anything

Oh, I ain't confident of shit. Honestly, the addition of the 7th playoff position is just a terrible idea that gives another terrible team a chance to either showcase being terrible, damage a good team via injury, or get an upset and then get smashed the following week.

It was often bad enough with six. Sometimes you got two good teams in two good divisions. Steelers were 11-5 as the sixth seed (under 12-4 Jags) when they won the Superbowl, Packers 10-6 (under 11-5 Saints). Other times you get teams with barely winning seasons. I doubt the seventh seed will ever be the former over the latter.

• Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    The real fun is going to be who gets into the playoffs in the AFC.

• Options
    admanb wrote: »
    The real fun is going to be who gets into the playoffs in the AFC.

Yup. Two divisions with EVERY team over .500.

Titans, and Bills or Pats for sure. Then the other of Bills and Pats, and you've got 8 teams contesting the other 5 spots.

Some slightly favoured over the other, but none in a capacity that's unassailable. The weakest are still fairly strong. And the strongest are heavily flawed.

• Options
    So Gruden is back and he's looking for his money, he's suing the league and Goodell over his firing. I'm sure they're gonna settle this but I'd love to hear the leaks if it got to discovery.

• Options
    GyralGyral Registered User regular
    Yeah, I read that and I thought "Did you not send those emails, motherfucker?"

25t9pjnmqicf.jpg
  • Options
    He's not contesting the emails, he's alleging they selectively leaked just his in order to force him out with a side of blackmail when the league threatened to release more documents if he didn't resign.